inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Liberty's Kids

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/27/08 at 7:46 pm

This was a PBS Kids Miniseries that ran from 2002 to 2004. In just 40 episodes, two teenagers managed to witness the entire American Revolution by working as journalists for Benjamin Franklin's Pennsylvania Gazette.
Admittedly, I was 29 when I first saw it, but as a history buff who idolized Dr. Franklin growing up(I still have a tendency to quote him), the show grabbed my attention and I managed to videotape every episode.
But what troubles me is this: I was introduced to historical figures such as Phillis Wheatley, Joseph Warren, David Bushnell, and Sybil Ludington, finding out their roles in the revolution, and to this day I'd like to know, WHY WERE THESE NAMES NEVER EVEN MENTIONED WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL?!? I think the female Paul Revere, inventor of the submarine, martyr of Bunker Hill, and first published colored author were important enough to at least get a mention! BTW, I didn't say who was who, so if your history teachers slighted you on this like they did me, you can find out their stories on Wikipedia.
If anyone else got to see this show(which I'm extremely grateful to), and wishes to discuss something they learned from the stories, please drop me a line!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: Liberty's Kids

Written By: snozberries on 03/27/08 at 10:42 pm

I never saw this show Doc.... sadly I was hoping this post was going to be about a character from Degrassi the Next Gen... oh well

Written By: saver on 03/28/08 at 11:42 pm

I've seen them at the supermarket video bin going cheap...mostly stars voices in them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/08 at 12:42 pm

I caught the show once or twice. Yeah it was good teaching history to kids but I questioned about WHAT they were teaching them and if it was in fact correct. The one episode that really got me was when they were talking about the Wappingers Indians (or to be PC-Native Americans). What really pissed me off was the way they were pronouncing it-Wap-ing- grrs rather than Wap-ing-Jers. The reason why I know how it is pronounced? The first place I have ever lived in my life was Wappingers Falls, NY.

A little history lesson about the Wappingers tribe: They were the ones who "sold" Manhattan to the Dutch for $24 in trinkets that you all have read about it in your history books. But your history book didn't tell you was that the Wappingers tribe DID NOT OWN Manhattan to sell it.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Satish on 03/29/08 at 4:52 pm

But what troubles me is this: I was introduced to historical figures such as Phillis Wheatley, Joseph Warren, David Bushnell, and Sybil Ludington, finding out their roles in the revolution, and to this day I'd like to know, WHY WERE THESE NAMES NEVER EVEN MENTIONED WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL?!? I think the female Paul Revere, inventor of the submarine, martyr of Bunker Hill, and first published colored author were important enough to at least get a mention! BTW, I didn't say who was who, so if your history teachers slighted you on this like they did me, you can find out their stories on Wikipedia.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Well, they have only so much time in a school history class, so they have to be selective about what material they teach. They try and cover all the important points, but of course, they leave out quite a bit. There just isn't enought time to cover everything. When I look back at what they taught us about the Second World War in my high school history class, I'm surprised at how many of the important details they didn't mention.

Written By: Doc Brown on 04/01/08 at 11:22 pm

Yes, the show had a long list of movie stars giving voice to America's founders, both male & female. It surprised me that a movie star's voice was not used for Washington himself, though that may have been to show his humility as both a person and a leader.
It was always cool to hear America's most legendary newsman Walter Cronkite speaking for my favorite founding father, Benjamin Franklin, who appeared in every episode, even if only as anchorman for the "Liberty News Network". I recall a few others as well:
Billy Crystal as John Adams
Michael Douglas as Patrick Henry
Sylvester Stallone as Paul Revere
Ben Stiller as Thomas Jefferson
Liam Neeson as John Paul Jones
Most only appeared in 2 or 3 episodes, but some were around for more. In fact, I think Annette Benning(as Abigail Adams) appeared the most often, except for Dr. Franklin.
The History Channel was supposed to pick up the series last month, but so far I've seen no sign of it. At a time when we need more quality children's television running, what are they waiting for?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...