inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earth Hour

Written By: Satish on 03/29/08 at 5:33 pm

Earth Hour is where people voluntarily stop using electrical devices for a period of one hour in order to make a statement about climate change. The time to do it is on Saturday, March 29, 2008 between 8 pm and 9 pm. It started last year in Sydney, Australia and spread around the world this year. Lots of cities are holding events that don't use any power to mark the occasion, such as acoustic musical concerts. Astronomers also hope to take advantage of the darkened night skies to get a better look at the stars.

Here's the official US site for it:

http://www.earthhourus.org/

I was just wondering, did anyone participate? What did you think of it?

I don't really know if this will do all that much to help the environment. It seems just like a token statement, more than anything else.

Subject: Re: Earth Hour

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/08 at 5:34 pm

Earth Hour is where people voluntarily stop using electrical devices for a period of one hour in order to make a statement about climate change. The time to do it is on Saturday, March 29 between 8 pm and 9 pm. It started last year in Sydney, Australia and spread around the world this year. Lots of cities are holding events that don't use any power to mark the occasion, such as acoustic musical concerts. Astronomers also hope to take advantage of the darkened night skies to get a better look at the stars.

Here's the official US site for it:

http://www2.earthhourus.org/

I was just wondering, did anyone participate? What did you think of it?

I don't really know if this will do all that much to help the envireonment. It seems just like a token statement, more than anything else.

I know Chicago is participating in it, and while I anticipate that all of downtown will be dark, I doubt anyone else will give it a go. I"ll try to take some pics from my balcony tonight to show y'all.

I don't think it will do much for the environment or whatever, but it could be interesting to see.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/29/08 at 5:38 pm

Google participated in it last night, their background (which is usually white colored) was black.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/08 at 5:42 pm

Google participated in it last night, their background (which is usually white colored) was black.   ;D
...but only on their Home Page, it is back to normal on the other pages.

I will contribute by switching everything of when I go to bed.

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 6:21 pm

Had I been at work, I would probably contribute to this cause ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/08 at 6:23 pm

Had I been at work, I would probably contribute to this cause ;D
Switched off the lights and go home?

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 6:28 pm

Switched off the lights and go home?

Just sat at work in the dark lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/08 at 6:29 pm

Just sat at work in the dark lol
Twiddling thumbs?

Written By: whistledog on 03/29/08 at 6:30 pm

Twiddling thumbs?

No because I do that anyway when the lights are on ;D

Written By: Red Ant on 03/29/08 at 10:48 pm

I didn't know about "Earth Hour". I saw the Google page... at first, I thought my computer had a virus, lol.

I didn't observe the hour any more or less than I will the other 8783 hours in this year. I always try to save on electricity, not because of climate change or resources, but because it costs money.  ;D

Maybe a "Sitting in the Dark" parody to Bruised Stringbeans' "Dancing in the Dark" is in order...

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 03/29/08 at 10:59 pm

I didn't know about "Earth Hour". I saw the Google page... at first, I thought my computer had a virus, lol.

I didn't observe the hour any more or less than I will the other 8783 hours in this year. I always try to save on electricity, not because of climate change or resources, but because it costs money.  ;D

Maybe a "Sitting in the Dark" parody to Bruised Stringbeans' "Dancing in the Dark" is in order...

Ant

Amen to that. Our electricity bill is consistently in the $30 range because we turn off whatever we're not using and only use one lamp at night instead of the massive track lighting installed in this condo.

Just as I predicted, downtown Chicago was fairly dark, but in Hyde Park, we were lit up like a Christmas tree. ::)

Written By: saver on 03/29/08 at 11:13 pm

I am waiting for Al Gore to admit HE is a partial cause for global warming! >:(

Written By: Zoso on 03/29/08 at 11:42 pm

I propose an Earth Hour ever day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/08 at 4:07 am

Go home one hour earlier each day?

Written By: karen on 03/30/08 at 7:33 am

Seems an odd day to do it given that in a couple more weeks it is Earth Day.  Would be more sensible then, no?

Had I known it was happening we would probably have done something.  We've participated in these sort of things before.

Written By: nally on 03/30/08 at 1:22 pm

I didn't know about it either...until Google's homepage appeared black. This was only for yesterday, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/08 at 1:23 pm

I didn't know about it either...until Google's homepage appeared black. This was only for yesterday, though.
It is strange to have the Earth Hour on a Saturday when less people are at work?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 03/31/08 at 3:27 am

Believe me, I didn't use a single electrical item on the entire night (and following morning) that had Earth Hour...

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/08 at 3:28 am

Believe me, I didn't use a single electrical item on the entire night (and following morning) that had Earth Hour...
Was your electric alarm clock still on?

Written By: Satish on 03/27/09 at 12:49 pm

Well, it's time again for this year's Earth Hour. On Saturday, March 28, 2009, between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., people are supposed to stop using electrical devices. It seems as if they've set aside the last Saturday of March each year for this event.

I just found out that it's being sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund:

http://wwf.org/

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 1:02 pm

How about the lighting in the streets will that be switched off too?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 4:29 pm

If all our electrical appliances are switched off, when will we know when the hour is up?

Written By: karen on 03/27/09 at 4:39 pm

If all our electrical appliances are switched off, when will we know when the hour is up?

watch  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/27/09 at 4:42 pm

watch  ::)
How can you see the watch in the dark?

Written By: karen on 03/27/09 at 6:42 pm

well, mine has this marvellous invention called a backlight

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/09 at 4:32 am

well, mine has this marvellous invention called a backlight
Mine does not.....

Written By: robby76 on 03/28/09 at 11:36 am

Or at least weekly! I did my Earth Hour tonight though half way through I was forced to switch on the bedside lamp by my other half... grrr!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/09 at 11:37 am

24/7 ?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/09 at 4:46 pm

There you go, my Earth Hour lasted 3½ hours!

Written By: Mushroom on 03/30/09 at 4:37 am

I am waiting for Al Gore to admit HE is a partial cause for global warming! >:(

I don't even think he noticed.

http://www.kxmc.com/News/Nation/352029.asp

Yet another case of "do as I say, not as I do" from the man with a 9,000 square foot mantions, and a power bill 20 times that of most Americans.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/09 at 2:48 pm

Yet another case of "do as I say, not as I do" from the man with a 9,000 square foot mantions, and a power bill 20 times that of most Americans.

I suppose Gore could spring for better PR if he switched off a few more bulbs, but he can be certain the Right would still hate him even if he lived like an Amish minister.

Anyway, I saw Ed Norton on Larry King the other night.  "Earth Hour" is like most celebrity-driven consciousness-raising events: A nice gesture but not much else. 

I wonder how much electrical power the physical plant needs in order to shut down the lights in the Empire State Building and then crank them back up an hour later versus keeping them on in a steady state for the same 60 minutes.
???

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/30/09 at 3:43 pm

I'm celebrating it this week.

I will have no electricity access in my rooms. I've been tightening my belt a lot this winter and my parents owe me a lot of money which I'll never see again. :\'(

Written By: nally on 03/31/09 at 11:49 pm

Well, it's time again for this year's Earth Hour. On Saturday, March 28, 2009, between 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., people are supposed to stop using electrical devices. It seems as if they've set aside the last Saturday of March each year for this event.

I just found out that it's being sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund:

http://wwf.org/

Darnit, I completely forgot about it again! >:( I should observe it sometime this week. Note to self: turn off all electrical appliances for an hour.

Written By: La Roche on 03/31/09 at 11:58 pm

Turned on everything in the house then drove around fast in my big car.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/01/09 at 8:44 pm

I wonder if Ed Norton rode a horse up to the Larry King show?

I was so psyched about Earth Hour I faxed 500 people and told them to save electricity!
:-\\

Written By: Satish on 04/03/09 at 1:59 pm

Al Gore denies the charge that his family didn't participate in Earth Hour and that lights were left on at his house:

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2009/03/30/al-gore-responds-earth-hour-accusations-disputes-johnson/

Anyway, the original story was reported by the head of an odious, right-wing think tank, so I find it highly suspect.

Check for new replies or respond here...