inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ernest goes back to jail for remake

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/30/08 at 5:28 pm

Ernest goes back to jail for remake

Sun March 30, 2008

HOLLYWOOD, California (AP) -- Just when you thought the recent onslaught of remakes and reboots was behind us, many more titles are to come. Attack of the Killer Tomatoes is in the works, as are Friday the 13th, Rosemary's Baby, and Prom Night. But no movie about killer tomatoes can top the absurdity of the latest recently-announced remake.

On Friday, Touchstone Pictures, The Weinstein Company, and Platinum Dunes announced that they will be collaborating on an upcoming remake (or re-imagining, rather) of -- are you sitting down? -- Ernest Goes to Jail. No writer or director has been announced, but Michael Bay will executive-produce. "The time is right for an Ernest movie," says Bay. "The original Ernest Goes to Jail is a cinematic masterpiece, and I am deeply honored to be asked to re-envision it for a new generation."

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/7/72/Jim_Varney.jpg

The role of Ernest P. Worrell -- played in the original series of commercials, TV series, and movies by the late Jim Varney -- has already been cast; Danny Trejo will play the mild-mannered bank janitor, as well as lookalike prisoner Felix Nash. "Danny Trejo is a very good friend of ours," says Harvey Weinstein, "and we chose him because of his striking resemblance to Jim Varney. Danny is a very good actor, extremely versitile, and Ernest fans will not be disappointed."

Trejo, himself an ex-convict, recently played Michael Myers's caretaker/janitor in Rob Zombie's Halloween remake back in August. He says that he is figuring out a way to conceal his mustache while portraying Ernest. "Yeah, I'm actually workin' with Stan Winston on designin' some latex to apply over my 'stache so I look even more like Jimmy Varney. However, when I'm playin' Nash, I can keep the 'stache without shavin' the damn thing off, knowhutImean?"

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/07/33/56/image_4856337.jpg

It is unknown whether or not Ernest's unseen neighbor, Vern, will appear in this film or play any part in it. "We're toying around with the idea of getting Sid Haig or Lew Temple to play Vern," says Harvey Weinstein. "Danny and Lew were great together in Halloween, and it's always a treat to work with Sid Haig. If all else fails, we'll get Verne Troyer to play Vern or just not use Vern at all."

In the original 1990 film, the third in the movie series, dimwitted bank janitor Ernest P. Worrell (Varney) is assigned jury duty to decide the fate of prisoner Felix Nash (also played by Varney), who murdered a fellow prisoner. A lawyer in the case notices a resemblance and sets up a switcheroo. Hilarity ensues as Ernest has no idea he's in jail, and even more hilarity ensues when he attempts to break out. The film debuted at #1 at the box office in 1990, despite negative reviews. Jim Varney followed the film up with several more movies. One last Ernest movie, Ernest the Pirate, was in post-production when Varney died of lung cancer in 2000; the film was immediately canceled.

"The Ernest franchise has been dormant for far too long," says Bob Weinstein, Harvey Weinstein's brother. "Today's generation doesn't even know who Ernest is or was. The time has come for us to change that, knowhutImean?"

The film is set for release in late 2009 or early 2010.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/31/ernestjail.remake.ap/index.html

Subject: Re: Ernest goes back to jail for remake

Written By: snozberries on 03/30/08 at 5:41 pm

^ are you sure this isn't from the Onion...or an early april fool's joke? 

Michael Bay will executive-produce. "The time is right for an Ernest movie," says Bay. "The original Ernest Goes to Jail is a cinematic masterpiece, and I am deeply honored to be asked to re-envision it for a new generation."

Shoot me now!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/31/08 at 12:58 pm

It's a April's Fools joke, and we all fell for it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/08 at 1:03 pm

Nobody could ever replace Jim Varney...they might as well hang in the towel.  He passed away way too young..he was a talented actor..and I would have loved to have seen more from him. His movies remind me of my childhood (especially Ernest Goes To Camp)...and even now, Vaughn loves to watch them.  I think if they would ever do a remake, Ernest Goes To Camp would be the most fun out of all of them, however, as I stated above...without Jim Varney as the character...they might as well save their money...no other actor would do.

Written By: Tia on 03/31/08 at 1:09 pm

ha! the link goes to the imdb entry of "april fools day" now. brilliant. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 03/31/08 at 1:39 pm

ha! the link goes to the imdb entry of "april fools day" now. brilliant. ;D

bbbuuuutt...they are a day early. :D

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/08 at 3:53 pm

I knew it had to be a gag of some sort.  Of all Ernest movies, why that one.  And of all movies in General, why the Ernest franchise?

If it's not Jim Varney, then it's not Ernest.  Accept no substitutions

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/31/08 at 7:53 pm

Even though it was more like 1992 before I started really getting into movies (that's the one area of pop culture I was later with), this is one of the few I liked before that. I saw it in the theatre when I was either 8 or 9. Despite the sorta "darker" feeling at times, from being in a prison setting, it was the one I bonded to the most and got me into the other Ernest movies not too long later.

That being said, I was pretty sure this is an April Fools' joke. Even if Varney were still alive, a remake wouldn't nearly be as good. First it's because we're looking at that movie from a 1990 perspective, and second, all the best ideas are usually used the first time around. Although I've always kinda wondered what happened "after the movie" or more details about what the characters' lives were like, it usually doesn't work well trying to revisit something like that.

Although I really disagree with the person quoted in the OP who claimed "the new generation doesn't know Ernest" (I hate blanket statements anyway, but let's not forget secondhand exposure), regardless of that, the best way to get people into them is the older, already established stuff.

Written By: snozberries on 03/31/08 at 7:55 pm

the way you guys are talking I feel like I should give it a chance... I never watched it because I really didn't like that Ernest character of Jim Varney's.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/08 at 8:05 pm

the way you guys are talking I feel like I should give it a chance... I never watched it because I really didn't like that Ernest character of Jim Varney's.

Ernest was a great character.  Sometimes a little bit weird/annoying, but "Ernest Saves Christmas" is a movie that I have to watch every Christmas. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/31/08 at 8:13 pm

Oh yeah, Ernest is the man. I know I say this about alot of things, but he's such a big part of my 1991-'93 life as far as memories. Something about his "goofy superhero, but still something of a cool guy" persona drew me in. Here's a quick idea of what his first four movies were like (the biggest ones):

Ernest Goes To Camp (1986 or '87) - He's hired as a Summer camp counsellor for some young teens who are juvenile offenders. They're kinda resistant (i.e. playing practical jokes on him) and brush him off at first, but eventually warm up. Pretty much the idea is they have to fend off a crooked construction company from tearing down the camp. I'd say it's the most heartwarming and probably the closest to being a "drama" of the four.

Ernest Saves Christmas (1988) - This time he's a cab driver at Christmastime and meets a travelling Santa Claus in Florida, who is looking to retire and find his successor in a local kids' TV show host, if he can convince anyone he actually is for real (Ernest believes him and sticks by him the whole time). They also meet a runaway teen who they try to help. She gets along with Ernest, but sorta has the exterior of a cynical "tough chick" who doesn't believe in "little kid stuff" like Santa Claus. Overall I'd say this one is the best balanced. For the most part it's lighthearted and silly comedy, but has some touching parts and really gives you a warm picture of the holiday season and why we value it.

Ernest Goes to Jail (1990) - see above ;)

Ernest Scared Stupid (1991) - He's a garbageman in a small Midwestern town, who has a good rapport with the local kids, but not as much with the local Sheriff, mayor and some of the other "adults". Anyway, there's this troll who used to chase after kids that was buried many years before...but Ernest accidentally unleashes him around Halloween time without realizing it. He has to enlist the help of an eccentric old lady and do some research on things like curses, in order to try and stop him. Meanwhile, more kids are falling victim as Ernest and survivng kids attempt to convince the adults the severity of the problem. Just like the other movies, I'd say it's mostly goofy humor, but this time there's some borderline scary stuff added in, just with the monster and Halloween theme.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/08 at 8:25 pm

^ You forgot ...

Ernest Rides Again (1993)
Ernest Goes to School (1994) <Last one to be released in the theatres>
Slam Dunk Ernest (1995)
Ernest Goes to Africa (1997)
Ernest in the Army (1998)

and the short-lived late 80s TV series "Hey Vern, It's Ernest" :D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 04/01/08 at 3:49 pm

It probably no longer needs to be said, but...

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/373517/2/istockphoto_373517_clown.jpg

APRIL
FOOL'S
!!! ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

Don't ask me where I got Ernest Goes to Jail from. It just popped in my head, and it's a great Ernest movie, probably my favorite, next to Christmas. I'm glad everybody enjoyed it this year.  :)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 04/01/08 at 3:56 pm

HAHA!  It was even in the Wikipedia article!  :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Goes_to_Jail

Written By: Marty McFly on 04/01/08 at 5:42 pm

^ You forgot ...

Ernest Rides Again (1993)
Ernest Goes to School (1994) <Last one to be released in the theatres>
Slam Dunk Ernest (1995)
Ernest Goes to Africa (1997)
Ernest in the Army (1998)

and the short-lived late 80s TV series "Hey Vern, It's Ernest" :D

Oh yeah, I actually loved Ernest Rides Again, even if his popularity was starting to decline by then, and it never quite caught on like the others did. I just did the first four, since those seem like the ones he's known for (I'd say 1984-'91 was his popular time, if you include the commercials).

Oddly, I thought the next two (Goes to School and Slamdunk) were pretty boring, but I loved In the Army and especially Goes to Africa. Those were like vintage Ernest, even if not that many people know about them.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/17/08 at 8:44 pm

Before he went all racist I thought that the only one who could be close to Jim was Seinfield's Kramer. I actually wanted to see them star in a movie together. Speak of Earnest, is it just me or is Jim Varney's character very similar to the Earnest from the Andy Griffith Show? 

hmmm...I'm not really familiar with that character from the Andy Griffith Show. My parents loved that show, and I used to watch it sometimes..but I don't remember him.

Written By: snozberries on 04/25/08 at 8:52 pm

Before he went all racist I thought that the only one who could be close to Jim was Seinfield's Kramer. I actually wanted to see them star in a movie together. Speak of Earnest, is it just me or is Jim Varney's character very similar to the Earnest from the Andy Griffith Show? 

Ernest T Bass... the rock throwing Hillbillie!  I loved him!!!

Don't know if they're similar because I have paid enough attention to the Ernest movies to draw a conclusion.... might be an insentive to sit through one tho... if I only watched one Ernest movie in my life which is the one I should watch....

Check for new replies or respond here...