inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SuperNovas

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 04/11/08 at 1:59 am

(I made a mistake and accidentially posted this here instead of the all decades catagory).

Although a lot of attention is made about the "one hit wonder", there rarely if ever is anything mentioned about the groups that I like to call the "SuperNovas". In someways they're lesser known than the one hit wonders because unlike 1HW's whose's songs are still played today, SuperNovas have totally disappeared from the radar. Yet in their day these groups\performers released several numerous hits and were very popular back in the day. But now not only is the music completely absent from rotation (unlike 1HW's), when asked people don't even remember them at all.

Today as I was looking at something else on Youtube, I came across one of these supernova's video's. This was a group called "Shakespears Sister" that had a scene back in 1992 when I was in high school. They were basically a Euro-goth type of band which can kinda be looked at as the "bizzaro-Wilson Philips".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzrntPRQVA

What other groups out there can you remember that might fall into this catagory?

Subject: Re: SuperNovas

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/11/08 at 7:54 pm

Great idea for a topic, Spirit.

I don't know if this counts, but Timbuk3 had that awful hit "The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades) around 1988 or so.  Everyone thought they were going to be the s**t, but they were awful.

I might also put Edie Brickell & The New Bohemians in this category.

Check for new replies or respond here...