inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scarlett Johansson's Album To Be Released in May 20th

Written By: woops on 04/22/08 at 8:32 pm

Before anybody post immature, rude, and snarky comments... give her a chance and Scarlett is no manufactured pop act. And yes, she have sung before like "Brass In Pocket" in the romantic drama "Lost In Translation".

Listen to Scarlett Johansson's new single

but PEOPLE has an early taste of what to expect with the album's first single, "Falling Down." (Listen to it here.) While Johansson dominates the track – complete with some plucked banjo and chiming bells – she gets a little vocal help from luminary David Bowie, who sings backup. Bowie also lends his voice to "Fannin Street." The album of Tom Waits covers is due in stores May 20.
– Brian Orloff

The song link is in the People.com link posted ^.  :)

Scarlett to release debut album in May

Scarlett Johansson will release her debut album, "Anywhere I Lay My Head," on May 20.

The 23-year-old Nanny Diaries star spent five weeks recording 10 covers of Tom Waits songs and one original track in Louisiana last spring.

She has displayed her vocal talents previously, singing The Pretenders's "Brass in Pocket" in Lost In Translation and performing on stage with Jesus and Mary Chain last April at the Coachella Music Festival.

Johansson collaborated on the album with producer David Sitek, Yeah Yeah Yeahs guitarist Nick Zimmer, and Celebration organist/guitarist Sean Atanaitis.

Guessing her music would be a bit indie rock or something like that. Atleast she's not another Britney clone. In other interviews she stated that her music will be "avant garde".

I might give her music a chance...

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are an emo band that sound like Siouxsie & The Banshees that had a hit with "Maps" some years ago. Never heard of Celebration.

I doubt that her album would be a huge hit, though who knows...  A hit song could be possible and the album might debut in the top 20.

Don't think most people are familiar with Tom Waits, including myself since I'm not into folk and the only thing I know is that his voice is raspy.

Also have to see if the alternative/indie music crowd would give her a chance or not. Also fans of her acting, which varies.

Subject: Re: Scarlett Johansson's Album To Be Released in May 20th

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/22/08 at 8:52 pm

Yeah, I'd DEFINITELY buy her album...  :P

Written By: Jessica on 04/22/08 at 9:05 pm

Yeah, I'd DEFINITELY buy her album...  :P

But would you party with her? ;)

Written By: whistledog on 04/22/08 at 9:59 pm

If he won't, I will ;D

Scarlett's not the first young actress to put out an album in recent times.  Last year, 21 year old actress Emmy Rossum broke the Billboard 200 with a CD titled 'Inside Out' and then released a Christmas CD.  And as you can tell from the pictures below, you can bet LyricBoy would MOST DEFINATELY party with Emmy Rossum ;D

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Emmy_Rossum/emmy_rossum_final_cover_cd.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51R0rYsitvL._SS500_.jpg

Written By: KKay on 04/23/08 at 9:01 am

I'm not crazy about it, and I wonder how well it will do.

BUT I'm not against it in anyway...more power to you!

Now.  I think it sounds like an old Sinead O'Connor song.  i'ts got some 80s vocal effect on it.
Hmmmm....i'll listen a few times and might re-think it.
it's strange. I don't think it will be a hit single.

I did more research and am returning to modify...I just read a review say the same as me about the Oconnor thing.  i hear it louder each time i hear it.

Written By: nally on 04/23/08 at 3:51 pm

If she wants to go into singing, that's fine with me. I would listen to the single just to see what she sounds like. :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/23/08 at 6:54 pm

I'm not crazy about it, and I wonder how well it will do.

BUT I'm not against it in anyway...more power to you!

Now.  I think it sounds like an old Sinead O'Connor song.  i'ts got some 80s vocal effect on it.
Hmmmm....i'll listen a few times and might re-think it.
it's strange. I don't think it will be a hit single.

I did more research and am returning to modify...I just read a review say the same as me about the Oconnor thing.  i hear it louder each time i hear it.

Agreed!  Sinead O'Connor.  All that's missing is the high notes (which I doubt she can hit).  I'd have to really want to wallow in a miserable mood for me to enjoy this.

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 6:55 pm

scarlet's a pretty smart gal, i think she might have a shot at doing a decent record. she's not just a big-boobed blonde, she's got some indie work under her belt, and a lot of it is quite good.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/08 at 7:32 pm

Party with her?  Oh dear, I do not even know her.  That would be presumptive oin my part.  ;)

Written By: Tia on 04/23/08 at 7:46 pm

Party with her?  Oh dear, I do not even know her.  That would be presumptive oin my part.  ;)
perhaps you should invite her out for coffee and you could go from there. you don't want to diminish the level of discourse in any way by pondering inpure thoughts so it's best to play it safe.  :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/23/08 at 7:55 pm

perhaps you should invite her out for coffee and you could go from there. you don't want to diminish the level of discourse in any way by pondering inpure thoughts so it's best to play it safe.  :P

You provide sage advice, Tia.  I shall follow it.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/23/08 at 10:24 pm

Hell, I'd party with her, just not to this tune  ;D

Written By: Jessica on 04/29/08 at 10:08 am

I just listened to "Falling Down" and am currently listening to "Anywhere I Lay My Head". Nothing remarkable, but I think I like "Anywhere I Lay My Head" better than "Falling Down". It just sounded weirdly, although it might grow on me later.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/29/08 at 11:32 am

If he won't, I will ;D

Scarlett's not the first young actress to put out an album in recent times.  Last year, 21 year old actress Emmy Rossum broke the Billboard 200 with a CD titled 'Inside Out' and then released a Christmas CD.  And as you can tell from the pictures below, you can bet LyricBoy would MOST DEFINATELY party with Emmy Rossum ;D

http://www.collider.com/uploads/imageGallery/Emmy_Rossum/emmy_rossum_final_cover_cd.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51R0rYsitvL._SS500_.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, Emmy Rossum started her career singing, not acting.  I believe she performed at the Met with Pavarotti.

Written By: woops on 04/30/08 at 12:59 pm

Despite that I'm not much into her music (I'm too mainstream  :D ), her voice is quite good.

Written By: KKay on 05/01/08 at 7:00 am

i have to say i didn't like it at first, but its CONSTANTLY in my head!  i guess its haunting. 

Written By: nally on 05/01/08 at 3:16 pm

Before anybody post immature, rude, and snarky comments... give her a chance and Scarlett is no manufactured pop act. And yes, she have sung before like "Brass In Pocket" in the romantic drama "Lost In Translation".

Listen to Scarlett Johansson's new single

The song link is in the People.com link posted ^.  :)

I still have yet to listen to this.

Written By: midnite on 05/05/08 at 2:27 pm

Scarlett just got engaged to Ryan Reynolds.  Now my chances of courting her are slimmer    :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 5:49 pm

Scarlett just got engaged to Ryan Reynolds.  Now my chances of courting her are slimmer    :\'(

WHAT?  I thought he was getting back with Alanis Morrissette?

First Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams.  Now Ryan Reynolds and Alanis.  All these powerhouse Canadian couples are calling it quits

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/08 at 6:33 pm

WHAT?  I thought he was getting back with Alanis Morrissette?

First Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams.  Now Ryan Reynolds and Alanis.  All these powerhouse Canadian couples are calling it quits

Or maybe just anyone named Ryan!  ;D

Written By: woops on 05/07/08 at 12:57 am

Reynolds is one lucky guy  8)

He's 31 and Scarlett's my age...

I'm more into women around my age and still consider myself too young to get married.

Written By: KKay on 05/08/08 at 6:49 am

ok. i said i didn't like it.  I have listened to it a million times.

i give in.

Written By: woops on 05/09/08 at 9:20 pm

Haven't seen the video on tv... though doesn't really matter since the album probably would appeal more to  hipsters

Check for new replies or respond here...