inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jimmy Fallon to replace Conan on "Late Night"

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/08 at 12:25 am

Pretty good choice, IMO. :)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080425/tv_nm/fallon_dc

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Saturday Night Live" veteran Jimmy Fallon has sealed a deal to succeed "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien on NBC in 2009, sources said.

O'Brien, whose show airs at 12:35 a.m., is moving to Los Angeles next year to replace Jay Leno at "The Tonight Show," which airs an hour earlier.

NBC is expected to make the announcement on May 12 during its "upfront" presentation to advertisers in New York. The network declined comment on Thursday.

Fallon, 33, co-starred on "SNL" for six seasons, and co-hosted its "Weekend Update" segment. He left the show to focus on making features, although such efforts as "Fever Pitch" and "Taxi" fell flat at the box office.

Fallon's new gig as "Late Night" host stems from a development deal he signed with NBC in early 2007. He will probably stay at O'Brien's Studio 6A at New York's 30 Rock, although details have not been confirmed.

The move further cements NBC's late-night transition, which is making Leno a highly sought-after free agent. ABC and Fox are reportedly circling the top-rated comic, while NBC is trying to keep him in the company fold with a new show.

Subject: Re: Jimmy Fallon to replace Conan on "Late Night"

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/25/08 at 11:56 am

Good for him.  I liked Jimmy Fallon on "Weekend Update".  I'd watch his show.

Written By: woops on 04/25/08 at 12:37 pm

Personally can't stand him.

Atleast it's not Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia, Chelsea Handler, or Carrot Top  ::) 8-P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/25/08 at 12:40 pm

I think he'll do a good job as the Late Night host. He has personality, he's funny, he's outgoing.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 04/25/08 at 1:57 pm

I like him, but I'd really like Jay Leno to stay with the Tonight Show and let Conan stay where he's at. But, I guess one has to go when they're still on top  :(

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/08 at 7:52 pm

I think Fallon is a good choice.  I did have high hopes that Carson Daly would move into the 12:30am slot, but Carson actually has the best time slot becuase on at a time when there's really nothing else on that's worth watching.   

Typical 1:30am viewing ...

- A test pattern
- Kevin Trudeau and his "Miracle Cures" ::)
- Peter Popoff and his "Miracle Manna" and "Miracle Spring Water" (aka stale bread and tap water)
- Last Call with Carson Daly

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/08 at 8:04 pm

I'm not sure that Gonad O'Brien has that je ne sait quoi to be a successful host on The Tonite Show.  He's great on Late Nite but I am not so sure that he'll be what The Tonite Show needs.  Big shoes to fill...

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/08 at 8:08 pm

I'm not sure that Gonad O'Brien has that je ne sait quoi to be a successful host on The Tonite Show.  He's great on Late Nite but I am not so sure that he'll be what The Tonite Show needs.  Big shoes to fill...

As long as he doesn't take along those overused characters he puts in audience bits, he'll be fine.  And he'd better take along Weinberg and maybe announcer Joel Goddard

Written By: nally on 04/26/08 at 12:42 pm

I think he'll do a good job as the Late Night host. He has personality, he's funny, he's outgoing.

I sure hope so.

I wondered who was gonna fill Conan's spot...since he's scheduled to take over for Leno next year.

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/28/08 at 12:59 pm

I'm hoping one night I become a late-night Talk-Show Host. (I'm collecting neckties for it too.)

Written By: saver on 04/28/08 at 3:02 pm

Does it mean anything when you can't mimic or do an iimpression of somebody?
Like, they have no dicernable personality trait or they must be doing schtick to hide who they really are?

Jya Leno is personable and open, but try to peg Conan OR Jimmy Fallon...Norm MacDonald did a good Letterman takeoff....maybe that's how you can tell if the host is playing or has some measure of likeability or endearment. I am not sure if we find that in either? 

Written By: whistledog on 04/28/08 at 4:15 pm

I'm hoping one night I become a late-night Talk-Show Host. (I'm collecting neckties for it too.)

When you do become one, let us know what channel and time it's on, so we will know when not to watch :P

Written By: MrCleveland on 04/28/08 at 5:15 pm

When you do become one, let us know what channel and time it's on, so we will know when not to watch :P

-1 Karamel.

Written By: saluteyourshorts on 05/29/08 at 2:38 am

NOOOO I LOVE CONAN I HATE EVERYONE ELSE

Check for new replies or respond here...