inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prince thrills US festival fans

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/28/08 at 1:36 am

Report on BBC News Online

Pop star Prince thrilled 60,000 US festival fans with a blistering performance at California's Coachella Valley Music and Arts event.

Organisers of the event had been trying to persuade the 49-year-old to play there since it was founded in 1999.

"You are the coolest place on earth right now!," Prince told fans as he played covers of Radiohead's Creep and the Beatles' Come Together.

Portishead, Jack Johnson and Kraftwerk were also on the 125-strong bill.

Coachella founder Paul Tollet denied reports he had paid Prince $4.8m (£2.4m) to secure the Saturday night performance, which had only been confirmed two weeks before the event.

Dressed in white trousers and a white shirt with a glittery fringe, Prince returned to the stage to play two encores - the first featuring his classic track Purple Rain, the second a frenzied version of Let's Go Crazy.

The three-day event, regarded as the unofficial start to the US festival season, also featured The Verve and Jack Johnson on Friday, and will be headlined by Roger Waters on Sunday.

Last summer Prince played 21 shows at London's O2 arena, playing a different set each night and featuring guest appearances by stars including Sir Elton John and Amy Winehouse.

Subject: Re: Prince thrills US festival fans

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/28/08 at 8:30 am

I wish I had been there.  I love Prince.

Subject: Re: Prince thrills US festival fans

Written By: Jessica on 04/28/08 at 10:00 am

I wish I had been there.  I love Prince.

Me too, but I live too far away.

The last year we were in California (2006), Depeche Mode was headlining and I wanted to go so badly. I didn't have the money though. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...