inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cartoons

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 04/30/08 at 2:59 pm

I personally enjoy the 30's - 50's and the 80's and 90's the most. The 60's were also good, and ended with a bang with the introduction of the timeless Scooby Doo. This set the stage for the second worst decade for toons though, the 70's, because it produced so many rip-offs. The worst though, in my opinion, is modern Nick, Disney, and CN. Toons today lack intelligent humor and rarely push the boundaries, they're way too PC. Also, a huge lack of variety is seen in todays toons, and some of them are just HORRIBLE (My Gym Partner's a Monkey and, oh God, Kids Next Door). Everything is regurgitated and dumbed down WAY TOO MUCH (but that seems to be the trend in modern entertainment). My vote goes for the 90's though, with the 30's - 50's being a close second.

Subject: Re: Cartoons

Written By: woops on 04/30/08 at 3:39 pm

Early/mid 20th century 

Looney  Tunes, MGM, Disney, Walter Lantz  8)

Also the 1990's when cartoons became funny again after being toy commercials or overly preachy.

Despite the limited animation of the 1960's, some like Bullwinkle were well written

Written By: Step-chan on 04/30/08 at 5:14 pm

The 80s for me, the 90s are a close second.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/30/08 at 6:16 pm

I went with the 70's because Scooby Doo rocks, but I like the mid century, sixties and seventies equally.

Written By: midnite on 04/30/08 at 6:44 pm

I like the 80s cartoons - Smurfs, Transformers, GI Joe, Jem, Voltron, etc.

Written By: robby76 on 04/30/08 at 9:22 pm

I like the 80s cartoons - Smurfs, Transformers, GI Joe, Jem, Voltron, etc.

... Thudercats, He-man, Monchichhis, Biskitts, Snorks... yep gets my vote for sheer variety!!!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/30/08 at 9:36 pm

80s

Written By: woops on 04/30/08 at 9:56 pm

About the '80's...

Though I watched "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" & "Muppet Babies", some haven't aged well like "Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers". Haven't seen the original Ninja Turtles for a while. Many appear to be too preachy (ie "Captain Planet" from the early 1990's) or toy commercials (ie "Transformers", and mentioned Ninja Turtles... though that started out as a comic book).

Then again, that's just me.

Written By: robby76 on 04/30/08 at 10:38 pm

Many appear to be too preachy (ie "Captain Planet" from the early 1990's) or toy commercials (ie "Transformers", and mentioned Ninja Turtles... though that started out as a comic book).

Well I'd rather my kids watch a preachy cartoon that the cynical ones from the 90s onwards. Let kids enjoy their innocence and leave the cynicism to the adults.  ;)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/01/08 at 2:06 am

I love most cartoons up until the late '90s. Few are as impressive now as they were in the past. I chose Mid-Century, though.

Written By: Dude111 on 05/01/08 at 4:54 pm

The 30s thru the 80s hands down.......... (With 80s being the peak)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/02/08 at 5:23 pm

I love cartoons from the mid 20th century (how could you not love the Loony Toons), but I went with the cartoons that I grew up watching in the '90s. Shows like Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Doug, Talespin, etc. are all great shows that I enjoy just as much today as I did 15 years ago.

Written By: dmfan420 on 05/02/08 at 7:17 pm

I had to vote for the 70's, but I too think that from the 30's - 80's were the best.

Look...It's Billy!!  Hey Billy boy boy boy boy boy boy

Written By: Big Nasty on 06/02/08 at 9:31 pm

The eighties also included Scooby Doo, and such hits as Masters of the Universe, Transformers, Justice League, and who could forget the Hulk Hogan cartoon.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/08 at 9:03 pm

80s cartoons all the way.  I grew up with them and they will always be my first choice

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/22/08 at 10:54 pm

Wb of the 50s 60s.....70s versions were flat looking & poorly animated..
I only watched the Flintstones as it was the only thing on!
Hanna B...cartoons lacked story & animation...Harvey Birdman did them justice!
Older Barney Bear cartoons were the best.by Fred Quimby
Wb database!
http://www.davemackey.com/animation/wb/index.html

Written By: saver on 06/23/08 at 12:45 am

I've always asked is there a 'big hand' calling the shots of what we see?

One of the better cartoons,(80-90's), was from Jim Henson..the animated MUPPET BABIES-for that matter, the Muppet Show and other entities...

MUPPET BABIES was taken over by Disney in the sale, and WHERE ARE THEY???? Are they waiting 'til OUR KIDS (or a new generation)spawn, or will they release them only on video??Currently they are releasing Muppet Show, but they had live guests...the 'BABIES' had cool film cuts like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon when they put a cut of ROBIN HOOD from the original movie calling out to him and it was fun to see.

Even the Muppet/Muppet Babies sites seem to have fizzled out -guess that's what happens when you are not seen or heard from.

I won't forget them!  ...SPEAKING OF 'FORGETTING' ...They even had the 1st Muppet Convention, years ago in Santa Monica, CA and not a word ever was said since....
Did the Muppets DIE with Jim Henson? 

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/24/08 at 12:26 pm

Prior to 1960 is in first.
90's are in second.
60's are in third.
80's are in fourth.
70's are in fifth.
00's are the worst.

Check for new replies or respond here...