inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Mighty B!", new cartoon created by Amy Poehler

Written By: woops on 05/04/08 at 8:32 pm

Have anybody watched "The Mighty B!".

I find it ironic that it premiered during the week of the release of "Baby Mama", which Amy Poehler stars with Tina Fey.

The animation ofthe cartoon style appears if they're trying to be like "Ren & Stimpy" (especially the facial expressions & background)  or cartoons from the 1930s/1940s, though the characters are annoying and only a few laughs. Though I'm way over the demographic and seen many of the plots done (better) before on "The Simpsons" (when the title character Bessie tries to be taller) and even Popeye (the babysitting episode). The main character design reminds me of Dexter from "Dexter's Laboratory".

One episode is about camping which features a twisted ending with the snobby Paris Hilton-like kid turning to dust and getting eaten by deer & rabbits. The robot episode and the dog show were also good, though not great.

Subject: Re: "Mighty B!", new cartoon created by Amy Poehler

Written By: whistledog on 05/05/08 at 6:59 am

I really can't stand Amy Poehler.  She is so annoying. 

It'll probably be popular though.  I think lots of SNL fans really like her comedy

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/05/08 at 8:28 am

My 5 year old hated it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/05/08 at 5:16 pm

Haven't seen the show so far, but it looks pretty bad to me 8-P

Written By: woops on 05/07/08 at 1:02 am

At Toon Zone, there were mixed comments and some have compared the main character to a certain sea sponge.

Personally, I find it mediocre and there's some laughs, though better than some I've seen (ie "Chowder"). Though "Phineas & Ferb" has more hidden pop culture referances that would go over the heads of the main demographic.

"The Mighty B!" has good background animation and "Ren & Stimpy" like close ups, but isn't anything near of that classic '90's cartoon. Though better than the horrid 5th season of "Family Guy".

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/07/08 at 6:20 pm

I really can't stand Amy Poehler.  She is so annoying. 

It'll probably be popular though.  I think lots of SNL fans really like her comedy

Amy Poehler is ok but I find Kristen Wiig much more funny.  She'll probly end up being one of the legendary SNL cast members

Written By: woops on 05/14/08 at 9:19 pm

Here's an interview of Amy Poehler from  TV Guide

SNL's Amy Poehler Is Singing a Different 'Toon
by John Sellers

In addition to her gig on SNL, Amy Poehler serves up laughs in the new cartoon The Mighty B! (premieres April 26 at 10:30 am/ET, Nickelodeon) and in the not-so G-rated Baby Mama. We caught up with the funnywoman to talk about her new projects, how much fun she has mimicking Hillary and what it was like reteaming with 30 Rock's Tina Fey.

TV Guide: In your new animated series, The Mighty B!, you voice Bessie Higgenbottom, a hyper Brownie who dreams of becoming a superhero. Were you that hyper as a kid?

Amy Poehler: She's like Animal meets Gilda Radner meets Daffy Duck meets Jimmy Stewart: energetically optimistic. And I was not too far off from that. I was a "Look at me!" kind of kid. I had really patient parents who were used to me jumping around. And I was pretty bossy, too. I organized a lot of dance contests in my neighborhood, of which I was always the judge.

TV Guide: Were they break-dancing contests?

Poehler: If only! Unfortunately in my suburban basement, it was just a lot of dancing to Michael Jackson records and K-Tel records. I would be the judge, but I would win every time. You gotta go where the talent is!

TV Guide: What cartoons did you watch growing up?

Poehler: I was never a huge Saturday-morning cartoon fan. I was the kind of kid that slept in. I'd stay up really late and build forts and do crazy things and then sleep in. I was the kind of kid you had to wake up on Christmas morning. But I used to love the trippier cartoons that we were lucky enough to have in the '70s, like H.R. Pufnstuf, though I don't even know if you'd technically consider them cartoons.

TV Guide: Are you trying to appeal to adults with the show, too?

Poehler: Yeah. What I love about SpongeBob SquarePants is that it's very watchable for an adult. But kids like it because they don't feel like they're being pandered to. That was what we were looking to do with The Mighty B! Plus, we wanted to do a show that had a strong female character who didn't have too many rainbows and unicorns.

TV Guide: What? You didn't want this to be another Strawberry Shortcake?

Poehler: This is more like "Strawberry Shortfuse."

TV Guide: Bessie is being raised by a single mom and no mention is ever made of her father. What sinister thing happened to him?

Poehler: Tune in to Episode 14! It's a very dark episode. It's all done in Lost-style flashbacks. Or maybe it's like Omar getting killed on The Wire!

TV Guide: Is your husband, Will Arnett, going to pop up in a guest role?

Poehler: I hope so. Will is a voice genius. I learned a lot from him. It's a skill to be in that booth and to figure out how not only not blow your voice out, but also how to make things come alive.

TV Guide: How is it different from performing in front of a studio audience like you do on Saturday Night Live?

Poehler: I like it because you don't have to take a shower. But it is kind of weird. By the time I leave the studio, the room is just filled with spit. I have to hose it down.

TV Guide: Speaking of SNL, do you hope Hillary Clinton wins the nomination so you can keep doing your impression?

Poehler: Even when the Clintons aren't in office, they're still in politics. Actually, I wanted Dennis Kucinich to win because he was much more fun. He's officially done, but I'd love for him to somehow come out of the ashes. I loved putting on those fake ears and that teeny-tiny suit.

TV Guide: You costar with your old SNL pal Tina Fey in the big-screen comedy Baby Mama. Do things get crazy when you two hang out?
Poehler: Yeah. Every night after filming, we'd go to a rave. We'd go to these clubs — I can't even tell you the names of them because if I tell you, they'll shut down. But they're super, super V.V.V.I.P. clubs in the backs of crazy, old, abandoned warehouses. And we'd drink these liquid-gold cocktails. It was amazing. Just like you'd picture.

Written By: woops on 01/06/09 at 5:13 pm

It appears to be getting better over time and also more "cartoony".

The scene where Bessie tries to get her glasses (which were stolen) reminds me of an opening of a Bugs Bunny cartoon "Fresh Hare" where Bugs' hand acts as a dog when he gets a carrot.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/09 at 11:17 pm

Vaughn and I LOVE this cartoon...it's hilarious! I can talk just like Bessie! ;D

Written By: C. Luless on 01/07/09 at 1:38 pm

It can't be that good when my identical 5 yr old twins told me it was "lame".  ;D

Then again, their favorite cartoon is Family Guy.  I know...what kind of mother lets their children watch that adult-themed show?  ME! 8)

Written By: woops on 06/10/09 at 8:57 pm

Ironically, I think it's better than the last few seasons of "Family Guy".

While it's not the greatest (nor worst...more average), I actually like the background art and some of the characters' expressions.

Check for new replies or respond here...