inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Caveman insanity

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/08/08 at 12:10 am

The Caveman insanity

Subject: Re: The Caveman insanity

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/08/08 at 12:25 am

In the "Commercials you can't stand" thread I mentioned how the Geico Caveman Campaign is past it's prime and the company needs to move on. Then it seems that Geico ratched things up a notch in an extra long commercial break.

I was watching Axe Men on the History Channel a couple of days ago only to be treated to a 5 minute lecture on how bad I should feel because of how Humans are mistreating Cromags. There was no punchline, no twist, not even a symbolic analogy tied to a real oppressed group like the Planet of the Apes movies.  No Geico seems to no longer be interested in being known for selling insurance but rather known for pushing some insane agenda. The impression I'm getting is that the company is trying to pick a fight, and that isn't the way to get me to buy insurance. I've got enough things to worry about and feel bad about myself.

Hmm, maybe someone in the ad department took the sci-fi show "Sliders" a little too serious. ??? 

are you also aware that there is now a sitcom out on TV featuring those cavemen? I don't know if it has been cancelled yet or not..but it's insane. They also have a website you can go to and click on certain things in the cavemen's bachelor pad. Ugh. It was funny at first..but it jumped the shark AGES ago. ::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/08 at 6:24 am

are you also aware that there is now a sitcom out on TV featuring those cavemen? I don't know if it has been cancelled yet or not..but it's insane.

It was definately cancelled

Written By: KKay on 05/08/08 at 7:06 am

I tried to watch a few minutes.  Unwatchable.

I dont feel like it's a Geico agenda...but pick one. cavemen or the gekko.  when was the last time a commercial character had a tv show?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/08/08 at 7:12 am

I agree they are really saturating the market with the icon.  I kinda liked the Caveman show though, it was kinda funny in a cheesy way.  Apparently I was in the minority though.  :\'( 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/08/08 at 9:57 am

I can't stand those commercials and REFUSED to watch the show-thankfully it died a quick death.

Personally, I think the movie Caveman with Ringo Starr was much better.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/08 at 10:31 am

Personally, I think the movie Caveman with Ringo Starr was much better.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Excellent movie. ;D

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/08/08 at 8:04 pm

I tried to watch a few minutes.  Unwatchable.

I dont feel like it's a Geico agenda...but pick one. cavemen or the gekko.   when was the last time a commercial character had a tv show?

Remember that soap opera commercial for Nescafe coffee with Anthony Stuart Head (Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer)?  Now, that would've made a decent show!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/09/08 at 8:25 am

Remember that soap opera commercial for Nescafe coffee with Anthony Stuart Head (Giles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer)?  Now, that would've made a decent show!

Yes I miss those commercials.  Although I didn't realize that that was who was the male in those series of commercials.

The Country Crock butter commercials sorta remind me of them now.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/08 at 11:16 pm

The caveman ads are kind of goofy, I agree,  but I really like the background music in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/12/08 at 12:56 am

My Dad worked in the insurance industry for over 30 years.  He hates the Geico commercials.  He missed the Peanuts Met Life commercials :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/12/08 at 3:28 am

My Dad worked in the insurance industry for over 30 years.  He hates the Geico commercials.  He missed the Peanuts Met Life commercials :)

Yeah I liked those ones too. 

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/08 at 10:40 am

The caveman ads are kind of goofy, I agree,  but I really like the background music in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H02iwWCrXew

That song is called 'Remind Me' by Royksopp.  Was a BIG club hit back in 2002

Written By: Davester on 05/12/08 at 10:43 am

Didn't Joe Isuzu get his own show..?

Max Headroom got his own show...

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/12/08 at 10:50 am

Didn't Joe Isuzu get his own show..?

Max Headroom got his own show...

You're correct.  I had forgotten (luckily) about both of those shows.

Written By: Davester on 05/12/08 at 10:56 am

You're correct.  I had forgotten (luckily) about both of those shows.

Random fact:  It was during the Max Headroom show that I first perfected the art of squirting Pepsi at the TV, in a stream, from between my front incisors...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/12/08 at 4:34 pm

Wasn't he also on "Empty Nest" on NBC?

Yes he was but not as "Joey Isuzu" but he did play the same type character-usually full of s**t.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/08 at 7:53 pm

^ ah yes David Leisure.  He played Charlie Deats.  In the originally planned pilot for Empty Nest, he played a totally different character (via a Golden Girls episode).  He was always full of himself.  He was a ladies man and was sort of like an older version of the Willie Aames character of Buddy Lembeck on Charles in Charge LOL

Check for new replies or respond here...