inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MTV bringing music back to primetime?

Written By: guest on 05/10/08 at 11:26 am

http://idolator.com/386631/mtv-bringing-music-back-to-prime-time

Supposedly there's rumors bubbling up about MTV launching a new music variety show this summer. The catch though, is that it would be in primetime, which would lead one to believe that it would be of a better quality than TRL, but you never know with MTV. ::)  Not sure if I'd get my hopes up, and they'd have to get back their old touch that they had in their 1981-95 heyday but its still worth watching. and nevertheless a significant developement.

Subject: Re: MTV bringing music back to primetime?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/10/08 at 11:30 am

Is it to early to celebrate this?

Written By: Step-chan on 05/10/08 at 7:23 pm

This is a wait and see situation if I do say so myself.

But for me to forgive them, they would have to have music videos on more than just primetime.

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/08 at 7:45 pm

MTV has to launch a variety show to be able to air music?  How's about they air music ON MTV ALL THE TIME !! !!

Was that not the goal when it launched in 1981?

Written By: Davester on 05/10/08 at 8:31 pm

If MTV returned to showing music vids 24/7 I probably wouldn't like them anyway...

Priam's comment on idolator:

"Didn't MTV get the memo that American music is dead?"

Um, yeah...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/08 at 4:08 am

...still show commercials ?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/11/08 at 6:34 am

This is expected if you're bought out by Viacom...everything that creature touches gets ruined, and MTV is probably the best example. Hopefully if a Democrat wins this year the conservative logos of "de-regulation" will be turned down and that awful 1996 Telecom Act will be rejected (it made it so any one company can own a whopping 39% of the market, as opposed to 25% before).

Media monopolies not only hurt the media, they hurt the economy, and that is the biggest problem now. If the USA would like a better economy, they could start by turning the media from an oligopoly to a free enterprise, because perfect competition generates far more revenue overall.

If MTV were to actually follow through on this, it would probably be filled with crunk, emo, and pop anyway, as MTV lost all variety when grunge faded in '96. MTV is completely irrelevant at this point - most people use iTunes or eMusic to find new artists and get up-to-date on old ones - and its fall is inevitable, albeit extremely late.  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 05/11/08 at 11:04 am

Check this guy out.  He wants his MTV back...

Warning: Strong language, sexual references...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7G2Xukh8m8&feature=related

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/08 at 12:26 pm

If MTV were to actually follow through on this, it would probably be filled with crunk, emo, and pop anyway, as MTV lost all variety when grunge faded in '96. MTV is completely irrelevant at this point - most people use iTunes or eMusic to find new artists and get up-to-date on old ones - and its fall is inevitable, albeit extremely late.  :-\\

That's right. Also, don't forget about Youtube. It's a much better place to watch music videos anyway, since you don't have to sit through hours of crap to see what you want to see.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/11/08 at 5:00 pm

^ Yeah, youtube is today's equivalent of '80s MTV...both in terms of exposure as well as selections. People would rather just watch what they want instantly than wait for it to come on. So even if music (new or older) was brought back, it would be far too little too late. There's no way an all day and all night music channel would be profitable anymore.

For instance, I remember around 1991 when VH1 showed videos pretty much around the clock, and their promos kinda advertized that. It was like early MTV mixed with newer hits of that time (just without heavy metal or rap). And despite how heavily music focused they were, even THEN they had other programming too, like standup comedy or documentaries.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/11/08 at 5:14 pm

This is expected if you're bought out by Viacom...everything that creature touches gets ruined, and MTV is probably the best example. Hopefully if a Democrat wins this year the conservative logos of "de-regulation" will be turned down and that awful 1996 Telecom Act will be rejected (it made it so any one company can own a whopping 39% of the market, as opposed to 25% before).

Media monopolies not only hurt the media, they hurt the economy, and that is the biggest problem now. If the USA would like a better economy, they could start by turning the media from an oligopoly to a free enterprise, because perfect competition generates far more revenue overall.

Yeah.

Like I said, they would have to do more than Primetime music on MTV for me to forgive them. Music has went downhill after grunge/alt. died down.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/11/08 at 7:30 pm

That's right. Also, don't forget about Youtube. It's a much better place to watch music videos anyway, since you don't have to sit through hours of crap to see what you want to see.

Even if MTV were to bring back music programming, I think I will stick to YouTube so I can watch the videos I want.  :) ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/08 at 10:23 pm

^ Yeah, youtube is today's equivalent of '80s MTV...both in terms of exposure as well as selections. People would rather just watch what they want instantly than wait for it to come on. So even if music (new or older) was brought back, it would be far too little too late. There's no way an all day and all night music channel would be profitable anymore.

For instance, I remember around 1991 when VH1 showed videos pretty much around the clock, and their promos kinda advertized that. It was like early MTV mixed with newer hits of that time (just without heavy metal or rap). And despite how heavily music focused they were, even THEN they had other programming too, like standup comedy or documentaries.

I agree. Even though we won't know for a while whether Youtube becomes as big of a cultural phenomenon as MTV became in the '80s, your already starting to see plenty of signs that it could be. It's kinda hard to believe now that just a year and a half ago, most of us were just finding out what it was.

Even if MTV were to bring back music programming, I think I will stick to YouTube so I can watch the videos I want.  :) ;)

Agreed ;)

That sort of goes with the point Marty made. Even if MTV or Vh1 started showing music videos 24/7 again, it wouldn't matter because they couldn't compete with the "instant gratification" factor that goes with being able to watch a video whenever you want on Youtube.

Besides, you know they probably won't play any videos that came out before 2007 anyway

Written By: tv on 05/12/08 at 11:55 am

I agree. Even though we won't know for a while whether Youtube becomes as big of a cultural phenomenon as MTV became in the '80s, your already starting to see plenty of signs that it could be. It's kinda hard to believe now that just a year and a half ago, most of us were just finding out what it was.

Agreed ;)

That sort of goes with the point Marty made. Even if MTV or Vh1 started showing music videos 24/7 again, it wouldn't matter because they couldn't compete with the "instant gratification" factor that goes with being able to watch a video whenever you want on Youtube.

Besides, you know they probably won't play any videos that came out before 2007 anyway
I like that they have video's on Youtube but it takes too long to download a video on Youtube.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/08 at 10:36 pm

I'm with you there!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/08 at 2:40 am

I'm with you there!
You do not get commericals on YouTube....

I know you do if you select to watch them, you know what I mean.

Written By: midnite on 05/13/08 at 8:31 pm

Didn't MTV scrap videos and pick up shows (like Remote Control and such) because the viewers would change channels after two videos?  How will they get people to watch for 30 minutes or an hour if all they play is videos?

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/08 at 8:39 pm

Didn't MTV scrap videos and pick up shows (like Remote Control and such) because the viewers would change channels after two videos?  How will they get people to watch for 30 minutes or an hour if all they play is videos?

By having diffreent types of shows on the network also devoted to videos.

On our 'Much Music' channel in Canada, it's mostly music videos, with several shows devoted to retro videos, urban videos, punk videos, etc .. and even shows where commentators analyze a video down to the teeth.  Music award shows, on friday or weekend nights, have a movie related to music ...

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 05/14/08 at 5:52 pm

MTV had a deathknell when they hired carson daly! and also the cause of MTV also was wanna be a VJ contest!!!! it was on for 3 years first winner jessie camp (he sucks) then thalia (she was ok) and raymond munz*sp (god he is worst than camp) so MTV we hardley knew ye.

Written By: Davester on 05/14/08 at 7:23 pm

That's what I was saying awhile back and I think everyone knows it anyway...

As enthralled as we were with the music with moving pictures, they're simply old hat, now.  YouTube will have to do...

Also, I haven't watched VH1 Classic in forever.  Is it as good as it used to be?  Because it used to be pretty good...

Written By: woops on 05/14/08 at 8:12 pm

Don't have VH1 Classics, though I collect music videos on rare  VHS & DVD compilations

Written By: woops on 06/15/08 at 4:21 pm

It's "Friday Night MTV", actually the first two words are  abbreviated .. but rather not type it

It's basically music videos, which are rated by the the viewers,  and a live performance. Mostly  gangsta rap and emo acts.  ::) 8-P

Other than curiousity, I watched it because The Ting Tings were on.  8) :D

Though the audience's cheering could be heard in their "Shut Up & Let Me Go" video...

Snoop Dogg goes country... Well, atleast I can tolerate "What's My Name" and isn't creepy like Billy Ray Cyrus

Written By: tv on 06/15/08 at 4:34 pm

MTV had a deathknell when they hired carson daly! and also the cause of MTV also was wanna be a VJ contest!!!! it was on for 3 years first winner jessie camp (he sucks) then thalia (she was ok) and raymond munz*sp (god he is worst than camp) so MTV we hardley knew ye.
Ah Carson Daly I really can;t blame him for MTV's downfall he even said he was there to sell the hot music at the time which was teen-pop. MTV gave him the product and he sold it. Carson;s show that he is at night is cool. I agree with you on Jesse Camp he wasn't a good VJ and that Laura Lipsheeshz girl she was awful.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/01/08 at 2:36 am

Please do!

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 07/03/08 at 12:40 pm

;D i agree also

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/08 at 2:01 am

MTV bringing music back to primetime?

It still has not happened!

Written By: woops on 08/11/08 at 12:21 am

VH1 Classic only airs about 12 hours of videos and mostly VH1 specials and movies... well, atleast they air classic music videos  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/11/08 at 1:02 am

VH1 Classic only airs about 12 hours of videos and mostly VH1 specials and movies... well, atleast they air classic music videos   8)

...but it always seems to be the same videos?

Check for new replies or respond here...