inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is MTV about to be killed off for good?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/11/08 at 1:28 pm

I've had this on my mind for a while, and this recent recession as well as the drop in ratings for their sheeshty reality shows have made me contemplate the possibility even more. We all know MTV lost all musical relevance a few years ago when it stopped playing any music videos outside of 6 - 8 AM, but are its awful reality shows finally on their way out too? Like it or not, reality just isn't as big as it was in the beginning of the decade, and while some shows manage to remain big (American Idol, Rock of Love and its sheeshty counterparts), others have already died suddenly (Survivor, Big Brother), or are dying (Real World, The Hills). I, as well as many others, think that this recession will deliver the first blow to the excess and materialism of the decade, and it'll be waning for a few more years, hopefully taking 'My Super Sweet 16' and that sheesh with it. Besides reality, though, the VMA's last year hinted at the fact that even the MTV promoted artists have a problem with the channel (and the all-time low ratings it received)...even Justin Timberlake and Kanye West. So, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Subject: Re: Is MTV about to be killed off for good?

Written By: woops on 05/11/08 at 2:07 pm

Like other channels, it's just a vast cesspool.

Though now instead of "music", the "M" from MTV now stands for  "moronic".

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/08 at 8:55 pm

To be killed, it has to already be alive :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/08 at 10:45 pm

Let's all hope.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/08 at 6:52 pm

To paraphrase Gore Vidal,

MTV is a barrel without a bottom. 

They'll find away to stay on the air long after anyone alive can remember what the "M" stood for!
:o

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 05/12/08 at 7:23 pm

I haven't watched MTV in at least eight years or more and I don't plan on watching it anytime in the future...

Written By: saluteyourshorts on 05/29/08 at 2:35 am

I hate MTV. I even hate they got rid of the old school neon logo.

Written By: midnite on 05/29/08 at 6:51 pm

MTV as in MUSIC television has been dead for many years.  Hopefully, the kill the CHANNEL, MTV, because all they play is the dumb Road Rules and Real World.  The Real World hasnt been good in many years.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/08 at 9:40 pm

"MTV, Get off the Air!"
- Dead Kennedys, from 1985's Frankenchrist

There's an American Idol parody in there...

"And so it was,
Fox Network's corporate gods
Claimed they created rock and roll
Allowing it to sink as low in one year
As MTV did in 25."

...for anyone who can fill in the obvious parallels without giving up in depression before getting anywhere near the "NOW" at the end of the song.

Written By: Bobby on 06/02/08 at 5:01 pm

I think Youtube is more like old school MTV these days than MTV - it shows more videos.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/03/08 at 9:14 pm

I think Youtube is more like old school MTV these days than MTV - it shows more videos.

And I could never find a video like this on MTV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yge7GNl5p_k&feature=related

Title: Psappha
Composer: Iannis Xenakis
Performer: Steven Schick

Written By: Bobby on 06/03/08 at 10:07 pm

And I could never find a video like this on MTV!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yge7GNl5p_k&feature=related

Title: Psappha
Composer: Iannis Xenakis
Performer: Steven Schick

Impressive stuff. He was holding four sticks in his hands at once.  8)

Youtube is amazing!

Written By: josh911 on 06/04/08 at 4:39 pm

mtv is the thing for pimp my ride?

Written By: RhodesGoddess84 on 06/04/08 at 10:28 pm

MTV was at it's best back in the '80s and the first half of the '90s...but I stopped watching as soon as TRL premiered, hense all the boybands, girl groups and teen pop princess became all the rage and I switched to VH1.  Then they started with all the reality CRAP!!  So, I got digital cable and was thrilled to get VH1 Classic, until they showed less videos and more mindless programming and movies we can watch on cable anytime!!  The only time they show videos anymore is early in the morning, at least when they show videos that don't have the annoying little pop-ups, and videos besides metal and rap.  But for the most part, they're always showing heavy metal and rap videos!!  ARGH!!!!  I have to say it...I miss the old MTV and VH1.

Check for new replies or respond here...