inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who thinks political correctness has gone WAY too far?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/12/08 at 7:56 am

I hate how sugarcoated and harmless everything has to be these days, as not only does it get stale fast, but it hides the truth. Family Guy and Root of all Evil are exceptions  :).

Subject: Re: Who thinks political correctness has gone WAY too far?

Written By: Davester on 05/12/08 at 10:23 am

Complaints about political correctness are generally crap. The truth of the matter is that if we leave the impolite to figure out what constitutes polite speech, we'd be left with the sort of tit-for-tat that comes about when people are angry...

BS is probably more of a problem in people's lives than PC...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/08 at 1:37 pm

Me! Me!

Because it's fun to be an a**hole.  ;D

Written By: Haman on 05/12/08 at 1:44 pm

Political correctness seems to be a tool for restricting thought. And it appears to me as the ultimate form of bigotry -in disguise.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/08 at 3:30 pm

Political correctness is not the same thing as "soft language": there *is* entirely too much of that crap today. I think that might have been what Davester left off with: BS has a lot to do with the soft language used these days.

I wasn't aware that PC only applied to racial issues...

I would like to know why the term "African American" is used so much today - I guess it's the politically correct flavor of the moment. Are "negro" or "colored" offensive? Looks like somebody forgot to tell that to UNCF and the NAACP...

I refuse to use the term "African American" for the same reasons listed here. I don't see the need for the seperation either. *Caution: harsh language in that link*.

"White" people is kind of a stupid term if you think about it as well - not even albinos are "white". I've never seen a person with the same skin shade as the pages in a notebook. "White" and "black" are the easiest terms to use though, and I'll continue to use them.

Re: Kramer, what he said wasn't politically incorrect, it was patently fudging racist and, worse for a comedian, horribly unfunny. I hate it when some retarded, white Ashcroft does something that makes me feel the need to apologize on behalf of our race.

Ant

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/12/08 at 4:20 pm

Re: Kramer, what he said wasn't politically incorrect, it was patently fudging racist and, worse for a comedian, horribly unfunny. I hate it when some retarded, white Ashcroft does something that makes me feel the need to apologize on behalf of our race.

Ant

I'm not condoning what Kramer did, it was flat out stupid and ignorant, but that doesn't give every media publication in the world the right to destroy the man. There are tons (though, obviously, not a huge percentage) of minorities who insult "white" people daily to their faces, yet nobody points the finger at them. That's really what I was getting to when I said "political-correctness" - flat-out ignorance. I really believe that racism is just an excuse for fear and stupidity, but that doesn't mean that certain cultures (another thing, I should have made it clear I wasn't referring to any particular race) can be overlooked while others are blatantly harassed for no good reason (the most obvious that comes to mind are Muslims, who still go through this sheesh daily). In fact, I'd say the most dangerous people in the world right now are rich white people, the ones who blindly point the finger at others for their own selfish gain (**cough** John McCain **cough**).

All that being said, I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not explaining myself, but everyone should be given the same treatment, and no one group of people should get away with stupidity. And besides, un-PC is just funny, seeing as how I take none of it seriously on Family Guy and the like.  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/08 at 4:55 pm

I'm not condoning what Kramer did, it was flat out stupid and ignorant, but that doesn't give every media publication in the world the right to destroy the man. There are tons (though, obviously, not a huge percentage) of minorities who insult "white" people daily to their faces, yet nobody points the finger at them. That's really what I was getting to when I said "political-correctness" - flat-out ignorance. I really believe that racism is just an excuse for fear and stupidity, but that doesn't mean that certain cultures (another thing, I should have made it clear I wasn't referring to any particular race) can be overlooked while others are blatantly harassed for no good reason (the most obvious that comes to mind are Muslims, who still go through this sheesh daily). In fact, I'd say the most dangerous people in the world right now are rich white people, the ones who blindly point the finger at others for their own selfish gain (**cough** John McCain **cough**).

All that being said, I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not explaining myself, but everyone should be given the same treatment, and no one group of people should get away with stupidity. And besides, un-PC is just funny, seeing as how I take none of it seriously on Family Guy and the like.  :)

I'm not offended, and I see your points more clearly now. I think you're more onto double standards now, but as you say racism is racism. Might just be me, but not all racial, sexist or gender insults carry the same weight: for example, there is no equivalent white putdown for the n word.

Kramer destroyed himself, but it's old news now. Racial humor and some stereotypes can be funny - look on YouTube for Kat Williams. Jeff Foxworthy would get stoned if he did those jokes... then again Kat Williams would be defeaned by the silence of the crickets chirping if he did Jeff's material.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 05/12/08 at 5:03 pm

I'm not offended, and I see your points more clearly now. I think you're more onto double standards now, but as you say racism is racism. Might just be me, but not all racial, sexist or gender insults carry the same weight: for example, there is no equivalent white putdown for the n word.

Kramer destroyed himself, but it's old news now. Racial humor and some stereotypes can be funny - look on YouTube for Kat Williams. Jeff Foxworthy would get stoned if he did those jokes... then again Kat Williams would be defeaned by the silence of the crickets chirping if he did Jeff's material.

Ant

Heck, the closest equivalent white putdowns I can think are "honky" and "cracker". Even those pale in comparison to the n word.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/12/08 at 6:19 pm

Heck, the closest equivalent white putdowns I can think are "honky" and "cracker". Even those pale in comparison to the n word.

You mean that calling white people dago, pollock, kike, and a host of other racial or ethnic epithets, which were used to deny these people their civil rights, and in some cases their lives, are somehow mild?  You wouldn't say that if you were the Catholic who woke up to find a cross burning in your front yard.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/08 at 7:03 pm

Me! Me!

Because it's fun to be an a**hole.  ;D

Ah, Miygai say be **hole no fun.  Not in end.
:D

Yes, I agree with that earlier poster, PC is very '90s.  It's still a great whipping boy for the Right, but it's had a significant backlash.

PC went over the edge on college campuses before they even called it PC.  This stuff goes back to the early '70s when people from the hippie movement started to get in control of things.  Academics and the arts were, of course, first.

Despite how much I despise it...
::)
...it is now really not o.k. anywhere in polite city to spout racial hatred.  It is really not o.k. to coerce another into sexual activity.  It is really not o.k. to ....well that pretty much sums it up.

Written By: ADH13 on 05/12/08 at 8:16 pm

Psh.  I hear the n word used constantly from one black person to another.  How much of a putdown can it really be?  I wouldn't use that word but I can see why people would.  If they are calling each other that, it pretty much implies they don't consider it a putdown?

Although I do see something positive in that.  If there is a profane or derogatory word, the best way to get rid of it is to make it no longer profane or derogatory.  Remember when "dork" was a putdown?  Now it's a way to address your best friends. :D

Written By: Step-chan on 05/12/08 at 8:56 pm

You mean that calling white people dago, pollock, kike, and a host of other racial or ethnic epithets, which were used to deny these people their civil rights, and in some cases their lives, are somehow mild?  You wouldn't say that if you were the Catholic who woke up to find a cross burning in your front yard.

Okay, some of what you typed is abit lost on me. I need to alittle more clarity by what you mean. That being said...

I never of heard of those slurs before. I guess for me, it wouldn't bug me to be called a slur of some sort, mainly because I just don't care.

Psh.  I hear the n word used constantly from one black person to another.  How much of a putdown can it really be?  I wouldn't use that word but I can see why people would.  If they are calling each other that, it pretty much implies they don't consider it a putdown?

Although I do see something positive in that.  If there is a profane or derogatory word, the best way to get rid of it is to make it no longer profane or derogatory.  Remember when "dork" was a putdown?  Now it's a way to address your best friends. :D

I'm familiar with that happening, heck I think I've been called the n word before(which obviously, would usually never happen).

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/08 at 9:14 pm

There's a big difference in some areas between "n****r" and "nigga". Here, their meanings are completely opposite one another. It's rare to hear black people call each other the former.

Well, what young men in Australia might call each other would probably make your blood boil if said to you.  :o

Ant

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/12/08 at 9:18 pm

Well, what young men in Australia might call each other would probably make your blood boil if said to you.  :o

Ant

I've heard that if you're American and travel to Australia, it's best if you're a bit thick-skinned, because Aussies can be very sarcastic.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/12/08 at 9:19 pm

My problem with PC is this.  Where do you draw the line?  PC has become so confining that it's not far forcing everyone to give up their individuality.  Everyone has a prejudice against something in some form or another.  It's called being human.  Besides, there's over 8 billion people on this planet.  The odds are good that at any given second someones offended.  I'm not saying that prejudice is a good thing.  I'm asking to what extend society is willing to go to stop it?

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/08 at 9:24 pm

I don't mind using African American or Black as long as someone uses the same type of lable on me. For instance Black\White or African America\European American. The technical name on census and other forms for White is realy wild- Caucasion of Non-Hispanic descent. Personally I think we need to get away from race descriptions (which is getting harder to define) and go to the origins of our ancestors.

I agree, though I think plain, old "American" is a pretty good term for people in the US.

I've heard that if you're American and travel to Australia, it's best if you're a bit thick-skinned, because Aussies can be very sarcastic.

Sweet.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/08 at 10:28 pm

You mean "polack."  Pollock is Jackson:

http://www.artinthepicture.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/action-painting.jpg

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/12/08 at 11:06 pm

Gotta be careful what you say over the internet too. Sarcastic jokes that are common in day-to-day stuations don't tend to go well on the internet. Australians and New Zealanders are always putting their mates down (for the fun of it), but it seems Americans and Britons don't have this same sense of humour that we have. They tend to take it more personally, but that's just my observation.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/12/08 at 11:15 pm

Gotta be careful what you say over the internet too. Sarcastic jokes that are common in day-to-day stuations don't tend to go well on the internet. Australians and New Zealanders are always putting their mates down (for the fun of it), but it seems Americans and Britons don't have this same sense of humour that we have. They tend to take it more personally, but that's just my observation.

Depends on how well you know them.  I could greet my friend Paul who I have known since I was twelve as, "Paul, howza bastid?"  But I've only known Dave for a few years, so I'm more formal, less jocular with him.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/13/08 at 1:37 am

1. Why do you give a damn about what people choose to call themselves. Bored, much? Get a hobby.

2. The term, "Cracker" was created by upper-class whites to describe "loudmouthed", poor Whites.

3. What's the concern about being PC? Are you telling us that you want to say things that are harmful to others?

4. What's with these posts lately? They've become asinine.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/08 at 1:55 am

It's hard saying, but I think I'd be fine down there, because me and my work buddies are constantly ripping on each other.

I'll bet if I went down under and some Aussie started giving me a hard time, and I fired right back at him, we'd probably get along really well.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/13/08 at 5:59 am

1. Why do you give a damn about what people choose to call themselves. Bored, much? Get a hobby.

2. The term, "Cracker" was created by upper-class whites to describe "loudmouthed", poor Whites.

3. What's the concern about being PC? Are you telling us that you want to say things that are harmful to others?

4. What's with these posts lately? They've become asinine.

Answer to your inquirers.

1)Ask that question to a Sociologist or anyone who's interested in Sociology.

2)The fact that you know the history of the term "Cracker" means that you might have been as bored as you're accusing people.

3)Pure PC is impossible to reach, I don't think you could even achieve it. 

4) Your opinion.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/13/08 at 12:07 pm

Answer to your inquirers.

1)Ask that question to a Sociologist or anyone who's interested in Sociology.

2)The fact that you know the history of the term "Cracker" means that you might have been as bored as you're accusing people.

3)Pure PC is impossible to reach, I don't think you could even achieve it. 

4) Your opinion.

1) Apparently, you are interested; hence, the responses to this post.

2) I know the term because I'm a teacher and tend to enjoy learning new things. It helps to have knowledge of a topic, if you wish to discuss it.

3) I am sure it isn't. So, what's the concern if a little is used?

4) Obviously, it is.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/13/08 at 1:33 pm

1) Apparently, you are interested; hence, the responses to this post.

2) I know the term because I'm a teacher and tend to enjoy learning new things. It helps to have knowledge of a topic, if you wish to discuss it.

3) I am sure it isn't. So, what's the concern if a little is used?

4) Obviously, it is.

1) Well yes that and your organized though process.

2)Being a teacher how do you deal with students that display bigotry?  My Mom taught in the inner city and she was dumbfounded by what she witnessed.

3)How can it be achieved though?  PC is different in different cultures even in the U.S.

4)Nice to have your opinion back.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/08 at 3:10 pm

The thing about political correctness is that the right wing does it too, though they'll vehemently deny it.

For example, whenever I'm flipping through the channels and I might stop on Fox News for a minute or so, I find it really annoying when they report an attack by a "homicide bomber."

Plus the whole "freedom fries" deal was one of the stupidest things ever.  :P

Written By: Davester on 05/13/08 at 3:37 pm

Traitor!  Extraordinary rendition for you, bub...

Got mine, get yours...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/13/08 at 4:43 pm

The thing about political correctness is that the right wing does it too, though they'll vehemently deny it.

For example, whenever I'm flipping through the channels and I might stop on Fox News for a minute or so, I find it really annoying when they report an attack by a "homicide bomber."

Did you want ketchup on those Freedom Fries? ::)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/13/08 at 5:55 pm

1) Well yes that and your organized though process.

2)Being a teacher how do you deal with students that display bigotry?  My Mom taught in the inner city and she was dumbfounded by what she witnessed.

3)How can it be achieved though?  PC is different in different cultures even in the U.S.

4)Nice to have your opinion back.

Well, as a woman of color, I inform my students that I simply do not tolerate it in my classroom. I haven't seen any racial bigotry from students, though; however, it seems that sexual orientation is the target. I had a student yesterday tell another one right in my crowded classroom that something was "homo". I have a gay student in my classroom. I wasn't happy about what the student had said; therefore, I told him in front of the class that I didn't like his usage of the word, homo, and that since we're in an English class, he needs to get acquainted with a thesaurus real soon because his language isn't cool. He apologized and said he didn't mean anything by it. So, why the hell did he use it?

Did your mother experience student frustration as is so often the case.

The U.S. is so sickeningly engrossed in a racist history that it'll be hard. We will have to do a clean-house approach to changing it. We have to change the "old guard" traditions drenching our society. Unfortunately, this country has globally capitalized this sickness; therefore, it's spreading.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/08 at 10:46 pm

Well, as a woman of color, I inform my students that I simply do not tolerate it in my classroom. I haven't seen any racial bigotry from students, though; however, it seems that sexual orientation is the target. I had a student yesterday tell another one right in my crowded classroom that something was "homo". I have a gay student in my classroom. I wasn't happy about what the student had said; therefore, I told him in front of the class that I didn't like his usage of the word, homo, and that since we're in an English class, he needs to get acquainted with a thesaurus real soon because his language isn't cool. He apologized and said he didn't mean anything by it. So, why the hell did he use it?

The U.S. is so sickeningly engrossed in a racist history that it'll be hard. We will have to do a clean-house approach to changing it. We have to change the "old guard" traditions drenching our society. Unfortunately, this country has globally capitalized this sickness; therefore, it's spreading.

I would not have dared to use that word in front of my teacher because it's just a rude word.  The are certain words we use in front of the authorities and certain words we don't.  If I told you growing up it wasn't cool to make fun of homosexuals, I'd be lying.  Sorry to say...
:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/08 at 11:09 pm

Traitor!  Extraordinary rendition for you, bub...

Got mine, get yours...

Wha?  ???

Written By: Davester on 05/14/08 at 12:26 am

Wha?  ???

It's the US government's practice of shipping terror suspects abroad to be tortured where it is not unlawful and commonplace.  Very controvercial...

I'm suprised you haven't heard of the term... 

Bad joke, anyway...

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/14/08 at 1:24 am

I would like to know why the term "African American" is used so much today - I guess it's the politically correct flavor of the moment. Are "negro" or "colored" offensive? Looks like somebody forgot to tell that to UNCF and the NAACP... 

Any time someone tries to use "African-American" in my presence, I throw out the following two facts.

FACT: Having been born in Mozambique, and having American citizenship, Ketchup-billionaire-heiress and almost/wannabe First Lady Teresa Heinz Kerry was African-American.

FACT: Having spent years in a South African prison under apartheid, but having never had a damn thing to do with American citizenship, Nelson Mandela is not African-American.

Everyone got that?  Good.  If you want to talk about African-Americans, go right ahead -- but if you want to talk about race, you pretty much have to stop there.

As long as I'm on an Orwell kick this evening, I'm going to direct everyone to his essay on Politics and the English Language, which should be required reading for everyone from liberal-progressives who say "African-American" when they mean "black", to those on right-wing-patriots who say "harsh interrogation techniques" when they mean "torture"... and everyone in between.  Orwell's essay was only written in 1946, while the world was still smoldering from WW2, and it's one of the supreme ironies of our post-9/11 age that the second-highest Google query is hosted in what used to be Soviet Russia.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/14/08 at 11:27 am

It's the US government's practice of shipping terror suspects abroad to be tortured where it is not unlawful and commonplace.  Very controvercial...

I'm suprised you haven't heard of the term... 

Bad joke, anyway...

Ah.

You kind of confused me for a second there.

Written By: Tia on 05/14/08 at 11:40 am

i don't know about "negro" although i think it has some sort of scientific history. most people are uncomfortable with it, however, because it has a long history of being affiliated with slavery.

"colored" is closely affiliated with segregation. (remember the white and colored water fountains?)

i'd imagine the United Negro College Fund and the NAACP have retained these names, even though they include offensive terms, because the terms were common usage back when the society was a more overtly racist one than it is now and they adopted those terms at the time because they weren't as acknowledged to be offensive as they are now. they then went on, with those names, to effectively combat the societal injustices that were affiliated with those terms in the first place, and then to become widely known by those names. the irony of it is, if they changed the names now, people wouldn't know that they're the same organizations that combatted racism originally. but using their names in an attempt to bring back these racist terms is a bit... ironic, to say the least.

anyone who wants to start using those terms in public is certainly welcome to do so. any such person is likely to be met with much anger and a great deal more hurt feelings using them in mixed company, particularly if the person using the terms is white. i know, i know, that's a horrible double standard and all that. look, the fact is, white people enslaved black people for centuries and then discriminated against them viciously for decades more. pretending that white people and black people should be able to talk about race in an interchangeable fashion ignores this glaring and obvious historical fact. when the nation comes to grips with its racist past and its racist present then we all get to live in the land where racist terms have no meaning and the color of the person speaking them doesn't matter. until then there are just a lot of people in this country who carry a lot of scars because of america's problems with race attitudes and that's not changing anytime soon.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/14/08 at 1:18 pm

My Mom taught in a Catholic Elementary school the students were predominately African American and Spanish.  She heard horrendous remarks about handicap, gay (from third graders no less), white and Jewish people.  She would tell them that God made everyone different and equal in his opinion.  Being that it was a Catholic school, I think it was a fine response.  She would tell me that she thought that kind of blatant ignorance went out with the late 60's early 70's.  What really disgusted her was kid as young as six were saying words like "Spic", Jew Bastard, retard (the kid was in a wheel chair and had a mind as sharp as a tack)

You have a point.  It is considered by some Pro-American to not only be prejudice but to inflict misery on anyone who isn't what they consider an American to look and act like.  This not only goes for race but Religion and sexual orientation.  These people teach their kids the same thing.

Interesting thing.  I'm adopted, my biological father was of Jewish ancestry.  I'm proud of that fact, I see nothing wrong with it.  My adopted father was talking to someone one day and mentioned "Jewish Lightning" which is another term for arson.  I was sitting in the room when he said it.  He later apologized and said old habits die hard.  He never said anything like that again though.  I think it was because he saw a reaction to it and realized that he made an error.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/08 at 2:53 pm

I saw the Michael Richards three minute 'comedy' on Youtube. I actually wonder whether he was playing the bluff on stage. I can only believe that his rage was based on the 'you think you can offend me while I am trying to work because you are black, but if I offend you in your seat it is offensive because I am white?'

I am going to be a little controversial and say that he had a lot of guts to use that technique but his downfall was he put the race issue in a situation that wasn't qualified for it. If the black people involved were racially heckling him then he could be seen as fighting back, they weren't racially heckling him so therefore there was no justification for it.

I also saw his apology on the 'Late show' and what I thought was ironic was, despite him being sincerely open about his flaws, people in the audience were laughing. In my eyes, I think Richards made things worse by calling black people 'afro-Americans' as if it will help him get off the hook.

I am reminded of a Bill Hick's comedy sketch that involved a woman heckler and Bill Hick's went off on a tirade calling this woman every offensive name under the sun (amongst other things he called her a 'drunk c**t'). HE didn't feel the need to apologise on The Late Show even though it could be deemed a sexism issue.

There is absolutely no justification for prejudice or racism but I believe that if you go to a comedy show and you heckle the comedian, expect some sort of retaliation - that is what they do. The good ones put you in your place. If you place your hand in the lion's mouth, prepare to get it bitten off.

Written By: Tia on 05/14/08 at 3:16 pm

yeah, i saw the bill hicks thing and it just wasn't offensive. i mean it was, but not in the same way. it was such an over-the-top tirade it became kinda a satire of itself.

there's also a classic lenny bruce routine that i've read the theory that michael richards might have been trying to reference it. but i heard the lenny bruce routine seemed like it was more about when you can use the terms and when you can't -- i can't remember the details but i remember thinking it was pretty smart, he was getting at something. the michael richards thing was such a misfire, at best, that he just comes off like he's saying "you're a n****r!" over and over again.

also, with the bill hicks thing you hear the heckler, and she's totally drunk and irritating. i dont remember being able to hear the michael richards hecklers and i totally felt sorry as hell for them -- you know, that hurts getting called that to your face and plus you paid twenty bucks for the privilege? i was like dag. if we'd heard them and maybe it turned out they were using slurs or whatever too, it wouldn't excuse what michael richards did but at least you could think, well, everybody sucked on that one. as it was they came off looking totally defenseless and it was a perfect storm of asshattery for mr. richards. who i hasten to add is no relation to kim.

Written By: Bobby on 05/14/08 at 3:35 pm

yeah, i saw the bill hicks thing and it just wasn't offensive. i mean it was, but not in the same way. it was such an over-the-top tirade it became kinda a satire of itself.

I just this minute watched the Bill Hicks vs. Heckler video on 'Youtube' and it seems more organised than I imagined it in my head (only heard it on mp3 previously) as if the heckler was part of the act.

there's also a classic lenny bruce routine that i've read the theory that michael richards might have been trying to reference it. but i heard the lenny bruce routine seemed like it was more about when you can use the terms and when you can't -- i can't remember the details but i remember thinking it was pretty smart, he was getting at something. the michael richards thing was such a misfire, at best, that he just comes off like he's saying "you're a n****r!" over and over again.

That's probably it. A comedian often feels the need to be completely outrageous in their act (in his apology on The Late Show he mentioned 'pushing the envelope') and I get the impression that Richards apologised not because of the racist content but because his joke didn't work.

also, with the bill hicks thing you hear the heckler, and she's totally drunk and irritating. i dont remember being able to hear the michael richards hecklers and i totally felt sorry as hell for them -- you know, that hurts getting called that to your face and plus you paid twenty bucks for the privilege? i was like dag. if we'd heard them and maybe it turned out they were using slurs or whatever too, it wouldn't excuse what michael richards did but at least you could think, well, everybody sucked on that one. as it was they came off looking totally defenseless and it was a perfect storm of asshattery for mr. richards. who i hasten to add is no relation to kim.

If people pay for the privilidge to heckle, they pay for the privilige of getting it back too.

Again, this depends, in retrospect, whether the Bill Hicks drunk heckler was a planned set-up or not (a lot of comedians rehearse so-called 'ad libs' to supposed hecklers to keep their audience in line during the act).

I only saw three minutes of the footage so I don't know to what extent these people were heckling. It is also noteworthy that the people didn't start leaving until Richards left the stage so it didn't look like a complete rush of offended people.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/14/08 at 6:04 pm

i don't know about "negro" although i think it has some sort of scientific history. most people are uncomfortable with it, however, because it has a long history of being affiliated with slavery.

"colored" is closely affiliated with segregation. (remember the white and colored water fountains?)

i'd imagine the United Negro College Fund and the NAACP have retained these names, even though they include offensive terms, because the terms were common usage back when the society was a more overtly racist one than it is now and they adopted those terms at the time because they weren't as acknowledged to be offensive as they are now. they then went on, with those names, to effectively combat the societal injustices that were affiliated with those terms in the first place, and then to become widely known by those names. the irony of it is, if they changed the names now, people wouldn't know that they're the same organizations that combatted racism originally. but using their names in an attempt to bring back these racist terms is a bit... ironic, to say the least.

anyone who wants to start using those terms in public is certainly welcome to do so. any such person is likely to be met with much anger and a great deal more hurt feelings using them in mixed company, particularly if the person using the terms is white. i know, i know, that's a horrible double standard and all that. look, the fact is, white people enslaved black people for centuries and then discriminated against them viciously for decades more. pretending that white people and black people should be able to talk about race in an interchangeable fashion ignores this glaring and obvious historical fact. when the nation comes to grips with its racist past and its racist present then we all get to live in the land where racist terms have no meaning and the color of the person speaking them doesn't matter. until then there are just a lot of people in this country who carry a lot of scars because of america's problems with race attitudes and that's not changing anytime soon.

Well said and it makes a lot of sense. Karma.

Re: heckling, Dane Cook was heckled a while ago by some woman in the audience. I couldn't find the clip on YouTube, but his reply *was* funny, especially when he said he'd wrap his d*** around her neck and start her like a lawnmower.

Edit: No wonder I couldn't find it: it was Joe Rogan, not Dane Cook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrABuxM1tHU

(Caution: language)

Ant

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/02/08 at 5:09 pm

Am I an a$$hole for thinking this is funny?!?  :D

*NSFW!!!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV0xY6iRhcY

Check for new replies or respond here...