inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long would it take you to run, if you knew/thought you may die?

Written By: saver on 05/14/08 at 1:43 am

I know some MAY freeze in their tracks, say, if a car is heading at them, or something may about to fall on them...but this questiuon came up after seeing the recent newsclip of a convict , in a room that was about the size of a mini-mall SUBWAY Shop...he was convicted of 2 murders and jumped up from the desk he was seated at, tried to overpower a deputy and worked at getting the deps. gun. ALL THE WHILE, the sister of the victim screamed bloody murder as he put up a fight with aboout 5 other deputies...very unpredictable and scary for sure, after he was subdued, the sister was interviewed saying she thought he was going to kill/shoot her.

OK, they then show the area/courtroom it happened in and removed the people from this area...SHE WAS 3 FEET AWAY FROM THE DOOR!!!!!

yet, she wailed and wailed eeeeeeeeee,eeeeeeeee, as the wrestled the guy to the ground on the other side of the room.

I  just had to say from MY point of view....I'd be out that door in a NY second....there may have been 8 people in the bench area next to the door watching the trial, (3 or 4 family members of the victim just about),but from my view I found that quite odd someone would just stand and scream.     

Subject: Re: How long would it take you to run, if you knew/thought you may die?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/08 at 8:42 am

sometimes you are just in so much shock..that you simply cannot move.

Subject: Re: How long would it take you to run, if you knew/thought you may die?

Written By: saver on 05/14/08 at 3:25 pm

sometimes you are just in so much shock..that you simply cannot move.

Like many years ago, woman would stand on a chair when a mouse walked by,until 'something' happened-whether women took it upon themselves to (convince-control) their 'mind/or emotional reaction'..we hardly hear of that anymore or maybe a minute portion freaks at any little thing.

With my interest in mind/body studies, I believe the mind controls the body...in fright cases, some(big or small%) do freak and stand stiff, but in this case, the girl had the wherewithal to scream out in spurts..with that in mind I would think you're not stiffened and could control your body to send a message and move your feet.
If you are totally frightened, you usually can't even scream or say anything as much as you want to as your throat tightens and shuts down.

Just saying that girls' reaction was odd being so close to the door.(I saw more where the others in the room dropped to the floor and/or ducked behind the benches- which were about 3-4 rows like church pews. NOT LIKE THEY WERE LOCKED IN THE ROOM.

As I said, I like analyzing people and reactions.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/08 at 10:17 pm

Like many years ago, woman would stand on a chair when a mouse walked by,until 'something' happened-whether women took it upon themselves to (convince-control) their 'mind/or emotional reaction'..we hardly hear of that anymore or maybe a minute portion freaks at any little thing.

With my interest in mind/body studies, I believe the mind controls the body...in fright cases, some(big or small%) do freak and stand stiff, but in this case, the girl had the wherewithal to scream out in spurts..with that in mind I would think you're not stiffened and could control your body to send a message and move your feet.
If you are totally frightened, you usually can't even scream or say anything as much as you want to as your throat tightens and shuts down.

Just saying that girls' reaction was odd being so close to the door.(I saw more where the others in the room dropped to the floor and/or ducked behind the benches- which were about 3-4 rows like church pews. NOT LIKE THEY WERE LOCKED IN THE ROOM.

As I said, I like analyzing people and reactions.

it's kind of like an impulse. It reminds me of the time that I accidentally put my arm through a glass window....your initial reaction is to pull it back out (thus creating a LOT more pain/anguish). If you were able to think sensibly, no one would ever choose to tear their arm back out causing major injury. It's all about impulse/reactions..or lack of.

Written By: Haman on 05/16/08 at 3:14 pm

This is a complicated subject.

On one hand, it is my understanding -although I might be wrong- that we all have a survival instinct in our "primitive" brain whose potential is subdued under the "rational" intellect. Nevertheless, a willing individual could tap and develop that potential by means of training in some disciplines such as martial arts or other combat/self-defence methods. I must make clear, however, that I am not implying that we should despise reason (I am not talking about Zen here) but simply pointing out that it could be wise to let the rational mind and the animalistic mind work together and not against each other, which is usually the case.

On the other hand, just like in the animal kingdom, there are people who seem to have a more predatory disposition and a stronger tendency to strive for survival. Then there is a vast majority of other people that is subject to a prey mindset, mostly because of education under mainstream epistemology and ethics.

Certainly this opinion I just gave is an oversimplification, but that seems to be what is going on.

Written By: Red Ant on 05/16/08 at 4:46 pm

OK, they then show the area/courtroom it happened in and removed the people from this area...SHE WAS 3 FEET AWAY FROM THE DOOR!!!!!

This hotel I'm wiring in South Carolina... they are required by code to have phones on every floor in the stairwells. That's a new one by me, but it makes sense... I guess. What *doesn't* make sense is that the 1st floor landings are required to have them as well. The stairwells lead to the outside of the building.... so, who is going to stop to phone for help literally two feet from the door, and safety? Part of me thinks if you can't find the door from there when the building is on fire, well, dying in a fire might be in your future.

Reactions to danger varies quite a bit from person to person. I was watching a show about Charles Whitman a few days ago. Some people were just SOOL and were murdered with no forewarning or ability to get out of the way. Quite a few were shot from fair distances because apparently they didn't realize how far a sniper can be accurate to. Still others grabbed their rifles and fired shots at Whitman, effectively pinning him down until the police were able to kill him.

Ant

Written By: annonymouse on 05/17/08 at 11:51 am

Why is it that people just stand there and scream? the only time I ever scream out is when something jumps out at me or something, and i only scream once, by accident. i don't just stand still, screaming over and over again. When i see a spider (which i'm deathly afraid of) i might scream out of being surprised by it, but i don't just sit there screaming until it goes away.

i hate it when they do that in movies. it's so obnoxious.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/08 at 5:47 pm

Why is it that people just stand there and scream? the only time I ever scream out is when something jumps out at me or something, and i only scream once, by accident. i don't just stand still, screaming over and over again. When i see a spider (which i'm deathly afraid of) i might scream out of being surprised by it, but i don't just sit there screaming until it goes away.

i hate it when they do that in movies. it's so obnoxious.

Our wiring has some bugs.  Panic sets in and the person has lost judgment and coordinatioin.  A lot of it depends on the individual's breaking point.

Check for new replies or respond here...