inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Caesar bust found

Written By: saver on 05/15/08 at 12:15 am

I am not sure how to lift the picture on YAHOO or in the news of the bust of Caesar that was found ..but if you see it...I think he eerily looks like show host MARK DECARLO?

Subject: Re: Caesar bust found

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/15/08 at 12:45 am

I would love to get a miniature gold-plated bust of Caesar (about 5-6 inches tall) and have it mounted on the front of my Crown Vic as a hood ornament, just to be an a**hole.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/15/08 at 12:45 am

Well, I don't know who Mark DeCarlo is but it's Caesar.  I would never have guessed...

At first I was wondering why this find was significant as people are always finding artifacts, statuary, military equipment in bodies of water much of it ends-up there in the form of votive offerings to their various deities...

I see why this made the news - Roman emperors (Caesar wasn't an emperor, btw) were in the habit of portraying themselves only as young, virulent and handsome to the corners of their domain so the provincials would only see them as such.  Immortal.  Divine.  Ageless.  They preferred the "ageless look" to the reality of age, disease, and the wear of time.  It's known that Caesar was sensitive of his premature balding and primped and fussed over his appearance...

So Caesar, in this bust, looks older than in other images of him I've seen, complete with pronounced laugh/frown lines and crow's feet...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/Caesar.jpg

Written By: saver on 05/15/08 at 3:29 am

Well, I don't know who Mark DeCarlo is but it's Caesar.  I would never have guessed...

At first I was wondering why this find was significant as people are always finding artifacts, statuary, military equipment in bodies of water much of it ends-up there in the form of votive offerings to their various deities...

I see why this made the news - Roman emperors (Caesar wasn't an emperor, btw) were in the habit of portraying themselves only as young, virulent and handsome to the corners of their domain so the provincials would only see them as such.  Immortal.  Divine.  Ageless.  They preferred the "ageless look" to the reality of age, disease, and the wear of time.  It's known that Caesar was sensitive of his premature balding and primped and fussed over his appearance...

So Caesar, in this bust, looks older than in other images of him I've seen, complete with pronounced laugh/frown lines and crow's feet...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/Caesar.jpg

Hopefully this is a good connection to see photo of Mark:

http://deseretnews.com/photos/2388148a.jpg

Written By: Davester on 05/15/08 at 8:37 am

They do look alike...

Check for new replies or respond here...