inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boris's Johnson quote voted funniest

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 4:32 pm

A soundbite from Boris Johnson has been voted the funniest British political quote of the last 50 years.

Asked by schoolchildren whether he would like to be Prime Minister, Johnson replied: "I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as being decapitated by a Frisbee or of finding Elvis."

The nationwide poll of 2,587 people was commissioned by UKTV History to mark the launch of Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain.

The top 10 in full:

1) Boris Johnson: "I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as being decapitated by a Frisbee or of finding Elvis."

2) John Prescott: "The Green Belt is a Labour initiative and we intend to build on it."

3) Harriet Harman: "Tony Banks described the English fans arrested in Marseilles as brain-dead louts - that goes for me as well."

4) Robin Cook: "They found more dangerous chemicals in Coca-Cola's Dasani mineral water than they did in the whole of Iraq."

5) Harold Macmillan: "It has been said that there is no fool like an old fool, except a young fool. But the young fool has first to grow up to be an old fool to realise what a damn fool he was when he was a young fool."

6) Boris Johnson: "Yes, cannabis is dangerous, but no more than other perfectly legal drugs. It's time for a rethink, and the Tory party - the funkiest, most jiving party on Earth - is where it's happening."

7) Margaret Thatcher: "I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end."

8) Michael Howard: "You are the deals-on-wheels Prime Minister - no wonder the Chancellor is not a happy eater!"

9) David Blunkett: "David is supposed to be a sad, lonely, old, blind bastard. David's not meant to have fun or go to nice restaurants or - heaven forbid - have sex."

10) Edward Heath: "Do you know what Margaret Thatcher did in her first Budget? Introduced VAT on yachts! It somewhat ruined my retirement."

Subject: Re: Boris's Johnson quote voted funniest

Written By: Henk on 05/17/08 at 4:55 pm

A soundbite from Boris Johnson has been voted the funniest British political quote of the last 50 years.

Asked by schoolchildren whether he would like to be Prime Minister, Johnson replied: "I have as much chance of becoming Prime Minister as being decapitated by a Frisbee or of finding Elvis."

I bet you he'll be running for the office in eight years (or less) from now. ;)

Did you notice he didn't answer the question at all? Or was this the reason why it was voted for in the first place...? ???

Ah well, with Mr Johnson holding #1 and #6 spot, at least you have a good laugh in London these days. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 5:07 pm

I bet you he'll be running for the office in eight years (or less) from now. ;)

Did you notice he didn't answer the question at all? Or was this the reason why it was voted for in the first place...? ???

Ah well, with Mr Johnson holding #1 and #6 spot, at least you have a good laugh in London these days. ;D
A true politician never answers the question given.

Written By: Henk on 05/17/08 at 5:13 pm

A true politician never answers the question given.

An extraordinary talent, and probably the main reason why we don't trust them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/17/08 at 5:19 pm

An extraordinary talent, and probably the main reason why we don't trust them.
I am looking forward to BoJo's leadership as entertainment value.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 05/24/08 at 11:34 am

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/loulou2210/rainbow.jpg  
   BORIS JOHNSON

http://www.henleytowncouncil.gov.uk/media/borisjohnson.jpg
          BUNGLE

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 5:54 pm

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83/loulou2210/rainbow.jpg  
   BORIS JOHNSON

http://www.henleytowncouncil.gov.uk/media/borisjohnson.jpg
          BUNGLE
Yes, the two do seem to go together.

Check for new replies or respond here...