inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will YouTube and TV ever merge?

Written By: Temptation on 05/18/08 at 10:27 pm

With the digital signals coming in 2009, will TV and YouTube become one?

Subject: Re: Will YouTube and TV ever merge?

Written By: whistledog on 05/19/08 at 1:22 am

Why would TV and YouTube ever become one?  Most of the stuff put on YouTube comes from TV, so you'd have to eliminate TV completely and just upload stuff to YouTube.  Then Viacom would come along and delete it all, making it obselete, which would mean TV would cease to exist as we know it, and it's all because you started this thread and got us all worried.  Gee, thanks :\'(

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/19/08 at 2:35 pm

Why would TV and YouTube ever become one?  Most of the stuff put on YouTube comes from TV, so you'd have to eliminate TV completely and just upload stuff to YouTube.  Then Viacom would come along and delete it all, making it obselete, which would mean TV would cease to exist as we know it, and it's all because you started this thread and got us all worried.  Gee, thanks :\'(

Whoa, chill out

The OP brings up something to ponder, even if the likelihood of it happening isn't necessarily high. I for one don't see it happening in the NEAR future, but I definitely see the internet wiping out modern television as we know it eventually (as it is already doing with terrestrial radio). Maybe a more personalized form of television will emerge, paralleling satellite radio, but I don't even know if that's likely. If this were to become inevitable, we would probably see major companies like Viacom either (hopefully) shut down or switch over to the internet to secure profits, and if that were the case I suppose there would be a merger in some respects, though probably not the way you thought when you started this thread  ;). I suppose a more appropriate question would be "Will the internet wipe out modern television?"

Written By: Tia on 05/19/08 at 2:43 pm

youtube and television seem to be going in opposite directions. youtube is very low video quality and "horizontal" -- there are all sorts of people posting stuff on youtube. heck, i saw a thumbnail for -- but, strangely, didn't watch -- a video of someone popping a zit!  8-P but that's a big part of why youtube is cool, i've seen a lot of interesting stuff from people who would never make it on regular t.v. you'd never see a billyjoebob57 on cable t.v. and if you saw someone like seanbedlam he'd probably have to temper his message a lot.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/19/08 at 2:56 pm

i don't think they'll ever merge, but i would like to see more "getting online" capabilities with TV's.  if i could sit on my couch and, without a remote keyboard, watch youtube on my TV, i'd probably never get up LOL 

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/19/08 at 7:43 pm

I really don't see that happening at all.

Written By: woops on 05/19/08 at 9:27 pm

TMZ became a tv show  ::) 8-P

Written By: Davester on 05/19/08 at 9:42 pm

youtube and television seem to be going in opposite directions. youtube is very low video quality and "horizontal" -- there are all sorts of people posting stuff on youtube. heck, i saw a thumbnail for -- but, strangely, didn't watch -- a video of someone popping a zit!  8-P but that's a big part of why youtube is cool, i've seen a lot of interesting stuff from people who would never make it on regular t.v. you'd never see a billyjoebob57 on cable t.v. and if you saw someone like seanbedlam he'd probably have to temper his message a lot.

Yessir!  YouTube and the like (stuff from the margins) are slowly chiseling away at big media.  Sometimes I'm amazed at what I find under the sofa cushions...

YouTube is like public access at 2am...

Written By: Temptation on 05/20/08 at 2:07 am

The media world is ending. Goodbye globalization, the Internet will be all we have left by 2020.

Laugh now, you'll be proven wrong. ;)

Written By: Flameon on 05/20/08 at 12:50 pm

Doubt it!

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/20/08 at 2:19 pm

I'd still like to see something where you type in a TV show that no one's ever heard like "Pruitts of Southampton" and once you type it in, you can watch the entire show on TV.

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/20/08 at 3:20 pm

I'd still like to see something where you type in a TV show that no one's ever heard like "Pruitts of Southampton" and once you type it in, you can watch the entire show on TV.

Yeah...................................  ::)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/20/08 at 6:01 pm

Somewhere down the road I could see television as we know it now becoming obsolete due to the internet, but a major change like that is not likely to happen until around 2030 or so at the earliest.

Written By: MrCleveland on 05/20/08 at 8:38 pm

Yeah...................................  ::)

So in your opinion...When Cleveland wins a Championship?

Written By: wsmith4 on 05/21/08 at 8:48 am

So in your opinion...When Cleveland wins a Championship?

Uhh...exactly................  ::)

Written By: duenas8 on 03/03/18 at 9:37 pm

i don't think they'll ever merge, but i would like to see more "getting online" capabilities with TV's.  if i could sit on my couch and, without a remote keyboard, watch youtube on my TV, i'd probably never get up LOL

You just described the lifestyle of 2018

Written By: Slim95 on 03/06/18 at 8:52 pm

You just described the lifestyle of 2018

That guy must love 2018. His wish came true.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/07/18 at 2:46 pm

YouTube TV.  ::)

Written By: Wobo on 03/07/18 at 2:49 pm

I have Youtube on my TV.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/07/18 at 2:51 pm

I'm glad traditional TV is still around and I do enjoy it but I can honestly see it being wiped out and completely dead in 10 years time.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/18 at 3:40 pm

I'm glad traditional TV is still around and I do enjoy it but I can honestly see it being wiped out and completely dead in 10 years time.

I feel the same way.

Written By: goodbants on 02/21/20 at 5:12 am

Maybe it’s the gen z in me but I love seeing tv die a slow, painful death

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/21/20 at 8:38 am

In the cities I can see that but in rural areas where there is no internet capable of streaming, ota tv is still very popular. Same with landlines. Believe it or not there are places not too far from me that have zero cell service. One is like 20 miles of a state highway.

I think YouTube and tv have already merged. Tv shows on YouTube. Roku and smart tv where you pick and choose YouTube just like anything else. And not too long ago there was a mux of stations on my satellite dish that was YouTube videos 24/7.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/21/20 at 8:58 am

Ayyy, welcome to the club!  :)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/21/20 at 10:43 am

The only people that don't know that network TV is dead are the networks. Likewise with terrestrial radio. 

Written By: Slim95 on 02/21/20 at 10:50 am

I do take back my statement now as I made that back in 2018. I think network TV will just be like radio is today. Available for those who want it but not the choice for primary media consumption.

I could be wrong and maybe streaming will completely replace it but I don't think so because radio is an old technology and it is still around now.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/20 at 2:08 pm

I do take back my statement now as I made that back in 2018. I think network TV will just be like radio is today. Available for those who want it but not the choice for primary media consumption.

I could be wrong and maybe streaming will completely replace it but I don't think so because radio is an old technology and it is still around now.

I still own a clock radio as of 2020, I don't know how far they go back, maybe you would know?

Written By: Sman12 on 02/21/20 at 6:05 pm

I still own a clock radio as of 2020, I don't know how far they go back, maybe you would know?

I had a clock radio in my room before I gave it to my brother since he kept getting late for school.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 02/22/20 at 3:49 pm

I had a clock radio in my room before I gave it to my brother since he kept getting late for school.  >:(

What do you have now? I need clock radios in this day and age, I need a bit of music to help me get dressed during my days off.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/22/20 at 4:39 pm

What do you have now? I need clock radios in this day and age, I need a bit of music to help me get dressed during my days off.

I’ve had clock radios since the 80s. But I had a habit of working the buttons in my sleep and resetting the alarm. Over about the last year I’ve been using the alarm on my phone.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/22/20 at 5:04 pm

Oh, they go at least as far back as the 50s. My family certainly had one in the 60s. Of course they were not digital back then. The clocks were traditional clocks with a face and minute and hour hands. There are lots of pictures of vintage clock radios online.

Written By: 2001 on 02/22/20 at 5:04 pm

I can use my government-tapped Google Home to play music at a certain time/day. I actually do use it, not for music, but to time my morning exercises/stretches.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 7:28 am

I’ve had clock radios since the 80s. But I had a habit of working the buttons in my sleep and resetting the alarm. Over about the last year I’ve been using the alarm on my phone.

I don't use alarms anymore, I just wake up naturally. On my days off, I wake up at 5am.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 7:32 am

Oh, they go at least as far back as the 50s. My family certainly had one in the 60s. Of course they were not digital back then. The clocks were traditional clocks with a face and minute and hour hands. There are lots of pictures of vintage clock radios online.

I used to own flip clocks.

Written By: Sman12 on 02/23/20 at 11:11 am

Like wagonman, I use the alarm on my phone to wake up.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/20 at 2:08 pm

Like wagonman, I use the alarm on my phone to wake up.

I don't use alarms anymore, I just wake up naturally.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/23/20 at 5:04 pm

I used to own flip clocks.

My folks had one when I was no more than 5. I was curious how it worked so I tore it apart and had plastic numbers all over the room.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/20 at 2:01 pm

My folks had one when I was no more than 5. I was curious how it worked so I tore it apart and had plastic numbers all over the room.

Flip Clocks work when it reaches 60 seconds then the number flips to another number.

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/24/20 at 3:03 pm

Yep that’s how this one worked. It had a vertical rotating dial (like the price is right wheel) to show seconds. I just wanted to see the mechanism.

Check for new replies or respond here...