inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Downloading & File Shareing

Written By: Shacks Train on 05/20/08 at 10:56 pm

Well we all know about whats going on with downloads...That single Mom in Calif. who was sued for money that she'll see in a lifetime for 20 some odd songs.Is that right??I maintain that the consumer market sold us cassette decks & "Blank" tapes back in the day...VCRs & PVRs for TV.....CD/DVD burners with every computer!
If I want to record a song I like off Radio.Why not!.As long as I do not try to profit off of it.No Harm Done! I Live in Canada  where users are shielded from P2P lawsuits , so thats not an issue here.But I disagree with the Artist attacking the fan!If the law makers ever do make p2p networks illegal in USA it will not stop the p2p networks as other countries will pick up the slack.We The People are the power behind the music industry for if we don't buy they got to go pump gas or similar!
If it were possible to organize a music "Boycott" I'm sure the music industry would change it's Tune!

A Lot of what I've downloaded is & has been out of print for quite some time...Blog sites are great as they have entire albums & you can separate out what you want.(how many albums we all bought for 1 track!)
When the internet was 1st introduced they didn't have a clue what to expect & now its more of a case of "Sour Grapes"over music downloads.......Why the Lawyers haven't counter sued the Media networks for making the "Tempting" available to us (attractive nuisance laws)is beyond my way of looking at this!
Carved in stone , now their chipping away at the edges!
Your thoughts on this!

Subject: Re: Downloading & File Shareing

Written By: limblifter on 05/21/08 at 7:15 am

My view is that an artist took the time, and spent the money to create something that you enjoy having.

So give something back.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 05/21/08 at 3:02 pm

My view is that an artist took the time, and spent the money to create something that you enjoy having.

So give something back.

And my view is that the record company takes 99% of the returns and gives the artist virtually nothing. That's why, if we're talking about major label artists, I don't buy my music, since I don't want to benefit those crooks when I could spend my hard-earned money on something actually worth it. Indie music is a different story though. Those labels (for the most part) are honest and treat their musicians well, so I buy the CD or download the music from iTunes usually because the artist actually benefits.

Written By: Lindee on 05/23/08 at 3:45 pm

So give something back.

I agree. I only buy CDs.

Check for new replies or respond here...