inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Terry Wogan 'may quit Eurovision role'

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/08 at 10:20 am

From BBC News Online

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

Abraham received 14 points for his song Even If, as Russia won with 272 points.

Sir Terry, who has commentated on the competition since the 1970s, said: "Russia were going to be the political winners from the beginning."

He told viewers: "I think it's tremendously disappointing from the point of view of the United Kingdom.

"Andy Abraham gave, I think, the performance of his life with a song that certainly deserved far more points than it got when you look at the points that Spain got, that Bosnia-Hercegovina got - some really ridiculous songs."

Sir Terry said his producer, Kevin Bishop, was retiring after this year's contest.

Subject: Re: Terry Wogan 'may quit Eurovision role'

Written By: Gis on 05/26/08 at 1:10 am

I read an article in the paper that said the BBC pays 40% of all the costs to run the show and if we pull out then other countries will suddenly feel the pinch in entry fees.

As he said on the night you wonder why Western Europe even bothers entering any more. Austria have quit already and Germany are very close to leaving too. I still enjoyed watching it though, but he's right it's not about music any more.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/08 at 3:51 am

I read an article in the paper that said the BBC pays 40% of all the costs to run the show and if we pull out then other countries will suddenly feel the pinch in entry fees.

As he said on the night you wonder why Western Europe even bothers entering any more. Austria have quit already and Germany are very close to leaving too. I still enjoyed watching it though, but he's right it's not about music any more.
It was mentioned during the course of the evenings entertainment that Germany (like the BBC) is major contributor to the Eurovision Song Contest, and if Germany does pull out, there will be a huge pinch.

Being a major contributor to the money status, means that the contributor song does not have to qualify and head straight to the final stages.

Written By: Henk on 05/26/08 at 2:10 pm

It was mentioned during the course of the evenings entertainment that Germany (like the BBC) is major contributor to the Eurovision Song Contest, and if Germany does pull out, there will be a huge pinch.

Being a major contributor to the money status, means that the contributor song does not have to qualify and head straight to the final stages.

Come on, let's be realistic... The UK and German entries didn't get any votes because they didn't appeal to Europe as a whole. You can hardly blame Eastern Europe for that. Also note that Norway (without a gimmick or show) ended 5th, so not all is lost.
We've lost ground to Eastern Europe, sure...but with the right song we can still win. All we need is that Secret Combination. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/08 at 1:41 am

At the start of TW's morning show on the radio, he stated that all that has been said has been said, and the the first record played was Waterloo by Abba.

Written By: Gis on 05/27/08 at 3:25 pm

Come on, let's be realistic... The UK and German entries didn't get any votes because they didn't appeal to Europe as a whole. You can hardly blame Eastern Europe for that. Also note that Norway (without a gimmick or show) ended 5th, so not all is lost.
We've lost ground to Eastern Europe, sure...but with the right song we can still win. All we need is that Secret Combination. ;)
Sadly that's just not true, we could have had Madonna singing for us and we wouldn't have got votes! The Eastern Bloc will always vote for each other, end of story.

The Polish entry was great but it came joint last, according to my Polish work collegues it was because the singer is an American who is married to a Polish man so they didn't feel it was a genuine entry for Poland!

Written By: Paul on 05/27/08 at 3:48 pm

Considering that it pulled in over 9 million viewers (which in this day and age is a pretty fine figure), there's no way the BBC would want to lose it!

I still enjoyed watching it though, but he's right it's not about music any more.

If 'Puppet On A String', 'Boom-Bang-A-Bang' and 'Save Your Kisses For Me' are anything to go by...was it about music in the first place?  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/08 at 3:52 pm

Perhaps the Eurovision Song Contest has now met it's Waterloo?

Written By: Paul on 05/27/08 at 3:54 pm

Perhaps the Eurovision Song Contest has now met it's Waterloo?

Should it be allowed to go 'One Step Further'?

Written By: Henk on 05/27/08 at 4:13 pm

Sadly that's just not true, we could have had Madonna singing for us and we wouldn't have got votes! The Eastern Bloc will always vote for each other, end of story.

Even Madonna could not have saved the song, that's true. It just wasn't good enough, simple as that. But at least you had the privilege to participate in the final - it's more than we can say of our entry.
I still say there's hope for the Western part of Europe, with Norway ending 5th this year (and remember Belgium ending 2nd in 2003). We just have to try harder. We've ruled the ESC for decades, and now we're whining about other countries taking over and political voting and so on...  This goes for The Netherlands as well, mind you.

The Polish entry was great but it came joint last, according to my Polish work collegues it was because the singer is an American who is married to a Polish man so they didn't feel it was a genuine entry for Poland!

I disagree. The Polish singer was a complete fake (so was the Swedish singer, btw) and that's why she didn't get any votes. Nothing to do with the fact that she wasn't Polish. I couldn't stand the song either, but that could be just me.
The Russian entry was produced by Timbaland (who, to my knowledge, isn't Russian). That didn't stop the "Eastern block" voting for it...

Written By: Paul on 05/27/08 at 4:24 pm

But at least you had the privilege to participate in the final - it's more than we can say of our entry.

'Privilege'?

Well, cough up a shedload of Euros next year and you too can have the 'privilege'!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/08 at 2:55 am

'Privilege'?

Well, cough up a shedload of Euros next year and you too can have the 'privilege'!  ;)

Will we have to Beg, Steal or Borrow for any 'privilege'?

Written By: Gis on 05/28/08 at 2:48 pm

I disagree. The Polish singer was a complete fake (so was the Swedish singer, btw) and that's why she didn't get any votes. Nothing to do with the fact that she wasn't Polish. I couldn't stand the song either, but that could be just me.
The Russian entry was produced by Timbaland (who, to my knowledge, isn't Russian). That didn't stop the "Eastern block" voting for it...

But the singer of the song was Russian and their equivalent of Justin Timberlake ie; HUGE in the Baltic states. Mind you I guess it is a sign they are taking it VERY seriously!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/08 at 2:56 pm

Which country had the 75 year old man?

Written By: Henk on 05/28/08 at 3:41 pm

Which country had the 75 year old man?

That was Croatia. Check it out... Kraljevi Ulice & 75 Cents - Romanca

The song ended in 21st place. So much for Eastern European countries supporting each other...

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/08 at 4:58 pm

The song ended in 21st place. So much for Eastern European countries supporting each other...
...but are Croatia in the Euro Footie Finals?

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/08 at 8:24 pm

From BBC News Online

Sir Terry Wogan said he may quit as the BBC's Eurovision commentator, as the UK entry sung by former X Factor finalist Andy Abraham finished in last place.

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

Abraham received 14 points for his song Even If, as Russia won with 272 points.

Sir Terry, who has commentated on the competition since the 1970s, said: "Russia were going to be the political winners from the beginning."

He told viewers: "I think it's tremendously disappointing from the point of view of the United Kingdom.

"Andy Abraham gave, I think, the performance of his life with a song that certainly deserved far more points than it got when you look at the points that Spain got, that Bosnia-Hercegovina got - some really ridiculous songs."

Sir Terry said his producer, Kevin Bishop, was retiring after this year's contest.

The question that should be asked is why Wogan didn't quit years before. He knew the competition was a farce from the get-go.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 05/29/08 at 8:01 am

It was pretty awful, my Croatian friend at work was horrified by it. She said it's the sort of traditional song you would hear sung in a bar or cafe.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/30/08 at 8:36 am

Its always been political and its always been a farce. Its never in its entire history been about the songs !

But its hilarious to watch and I cannot imagine sitting through it without Woges sarcastic little gibes.  Only once down here have they tried to show it with a bunch of Aussie ethnic comediens commentating it. It bombed badly and the following year it was back to unadulterated Mr Wogan.

My personal judging style is pure fluff ! It involves "cutest bloke".

This year I awarded it to Denmark.

Written By: Gis on 05/30/08 at 10:42 am

Its always been political and its always been a farce. Its never in its entire history been about the songs !

But its hilarious to watch and I cannot imagine sitting through it without Woges sarcastic little gibes.  Only once down here have they tried to show it with a bunch of Aussie ethnic comediens commentating it. It bombed badly and the following year it was back to unadulterated Mr Wogan.

My personal judging style is pure fluff ! It involves "cutest bloke".

This year I awarded it to Denmark.
I did quite like the screaming angel from Azerbaijan and the Latvian Pirates were what Eurovision is all about! With the lady pirate I couldn't decide what was more frightening her face or her cleavage!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/08 at 11:16 am

I did quite like the screaming angel from Azerbaijan and the Latvian Pirates were what Eurovision is all about! With the lady pirate I couldn't decide what was more frightening her face or her cleavage!  ;D
True for Eurovision the group dresses up in outrageous costumes (think Lordi) and offically the voting should be judge on the song alone.

Written By: Henk on 05/30/08 at 3:23 pm

True for Eurovision the group dresses up in outrageous costumes (think Lordi) and offically the voting should be judge on the song alone.

But sadly, even in the days of jury voting politics have played a major role (think Greece and Cyprus).

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/31/08 at 3:20 am

Was it azerbaijan that had the angle versus devil number ? It was bizarre !!

And the french guy creeped me out !

Check for new replies or respond here...