inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would You Buy A Used iPod from A Stranger

Written By: Homer on 06/03/08 at 6:21 pm

I'm considering buying a used iPod on craigslist, just because I can get a lot more bang (Gigs) for the buck.  I've never owned an iPod -- besides turning it on to make sure it plays, and that the jog-wheel works, are there key things I should check to make sure there aren't any hidden problems?  They're pretty reliable units, generally, right, as long as they haven't been dropped in the toilet or some such thing?

Subject: Re: Would You Buy A Used iPod from A Stranger

Written By: midnite on 06/03/08 at 7:34 pm

I am not sure. I would be careful buying from a "regular person" selling an Ipod because they may take your money and run.  I would probably buy one through a powerseller or one of those small companies (that seem to be reputable) and sell through ebay.

Written By: Homer on 06/03/08 at 8:08 pm

I'm starting to change my mind about buying used.  I'm checking eBay and they all have sleazy listings, saying "Like new -- Works Great!", then in the fine print it says "this unit has significant damage and is sold as is, and is non refundable".  What?

Anyway, I'm really confused about the pricing on these things -- on Amazon, there's an 8 GB nano for $179, and then an 80 GB for $220.  TEN TIMES the storage for only $40 more?  Is the classic THAT much of a better deal just because it's bigger?  Is the size difference that significant to people?

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/08 at 8:20 pm

Used electronics are always a gamble.  It's better to spend the money to get a brand new one

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/03/08 at 8:55 pm

I love used electronics and I've bought them at Goodwill or other secondhand thrift shops lots of times. :) But yeah, it's probably a good idea to be able to see for yourself if it works...and like whistledog said, so that some person isn't just trying to rip you off or sell a broken/messed up one over the computer. Maybe you could see if someone you know is getting rid of one?

The difference with used electronics at Goodwill is that you can test them, and we probably won't see used ipods on a regular basis until like 2015.

Written By: Tam on 06/04/08 at 12:11 am

I did in fact buy a used iPod on eBay.

The Son decided one day to not bother checking his jeans pocket and washed and dried his nano. Obviously it died! I refused to buy him a new one because at $200 a pop, it's not like pocket change.

So more or less to teach him the value of money or something like that, I found one of the first generation nano's on eBay, measly 2gb, but in mint condition and only $60 (after s/h).

Made the transaction with a really awesome power seller too. The first one he sent did have a defect, and even though the return days had passed when I contacted him for help, he had me send it back to him and he sent out another one. No questions asked!!

Personally, when I deal on eBay, I like to make sure that the person I am buying from has a feedback score of 100. If they don't then I look around and refuse to deal with anyone under 99%. At least at that percentage, I should be getting what the description says and for the value of my money. Another thing I look for too is if they are paypal users. That way with paypal your purchases are pretty much guaranteed up to $1000.

anyway, back on topic - The Son's iPod works amazingly and I will definitely recommend the seller if anyone would like to know.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/04/08 at 12:18 am

I don't think I would unless if I had one before.  Ipods aren't exactly 80's or 90's walkmen.  I had to register my ipod with itunes.  Wonder how you get around that if it's already been registered and used in someone elses name.

Written By: KKay on 06/04/08 at 7:48 am

the one i have i found under four inches of ice under a car tire.  i defrosted it and it works and it was easy to clean out.

i would take a chance and get it.  if it's ebay, you have contact and angles for coverage for being robbed.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/06/08 at 8:09 pm

I used to buy used electronics off of eBay all the time several years ago, but after I got a bad deal on a used game console once, I have an unofficial boycott of buying any used electronics off of the 'net.

Written By: thewolrab on 06/07/08 at 3:03 am

Definitely less of a gamble than buying a CDMA phone on eBay, but still quite a gamble. There could be something wrong with it you may not discover until you load songs onto it... actually, a lot of things could go wrong.

Like someone mentioned above, a Power Seller is your best bet.

Written By: NbC on 06/07/08 at 3:10 am

Anyway, I'm really confused about the pricing on these things -- on Amazon, there's an 8 GB nano for $179, and then an 80 GB for $220.  TEN TIMES the storage for only $40 more?  Is the classic THAT much of a better deal just because it's bigger?  Is the size difference that significant to people?

Nanos use flash drives while Ipods use hard drives.  Flash drives are more expensive which is why the nanos seem like less of a bargain for the size capacity.  Size capacity will be your personal preference.  Do you have a lot of music, videos and pictures you want to store on your ipod.  If you do then a classic would be a good choice but if you want a less bulky ipod to carry around in your pocket then a nano would be more attractive. 

I would never buy a used electronic item personally but why not go to an Apple store and see what they have in refurbished products.  At least those will have some sort of warranty.  If it seems to good to be true chances are it is.  A good thing to keep in mind when buying a used Ipod.  The battery can not be removed and it only holds so many charges.  You never know how many charges the previous owner has used up already. 

Written By: Marian on 06/07/08 at 1:35 pm

I did in fact buy a used iPod on eBay.

The Son decided one day to not bother checking his jeans pocket and washed and dried his nano. Obviously it died! I refused to buy him a new one because at $200 a pop, it's not like pocket change.

So more or less to teach him the value of money or something like that, I found one of the first generation nano's on eBay, measly 2gb, but in mint condition and only $60 (after s/h).

Made the transaction with a really awesome power seller too. The first one he sent did have a defect, and even though the return days had passed when I contacted him for help, he had me send it back to him and he sent out another one. No questions asked!!

Personally, when I deal on eBay, I like to make sure that the person I am buying from has a feedback score of 100. If they don't then I look around and refuse to deal with anyone under 99%. At least at that percentage, I should be getting what the description says and for the value of my money. Another thing I look for too is if they are paypal users. That way with paypal your purchases are pretty much guaranteed up to $1000.

anyway, back on topic - The Son's iPod works amazingly and I will definitely recommend the seller if anyone would like to know.
LOl,I gor 4 MP3 players from pepsi Stuff--2 2GB Cocy ones with fm recceiver ,a creative Zen 1 gb,and a Coby 1gb with fm reccaiver.

Written By: Bobby on 06/07/08 at 4:28 pm

I'm starting to change my mind about buying used.  I'm checking eBay and they all have sleazy listings, saying "Like new -- Works Great!", then in the fine print it says "this unit has significant damage and is sold as is, and is non refundable".  What?

The amount of memory in an Ipod/MP3 player is only as neccessary as your requirements. If you want it so you can listen to music while you get from A to B, you may not require much memory. If, like me, you need it to get you through a working day then you may need more memory. It depends on how prepared you are to shift music around, the less memory you have the more likely that will happen. Another thing to remember is the length and quality of the mp3 file affects the memory size (quality measured in bitrate: 128 (avg. 3500kb) is barely okay, 192 (avg. 5500kb) is the right balance and 320 (avg. 9500kb) is almost CD quality) which will affect how many files you are capable of putting on at any time.

As for buying an MP3 player second-hand, I think it's just luck of the draw. My experience of hard-drives is they are quite fragile and temperamental and can shut down without warning. I feel more secure buying stuff first-hand because at least I have a guarantee with it.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/07/08 at 4:57 pm

I know I wouldn't, mainly because of the stories I've heard of Ipod theft.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/08/08 at 7:43 am

I know I wouldn't, mainly because of the stories I've heard of Ipod theft.

Good point.

Check for new replies or respond here...