inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tip jar at a drive-thru window? HOW DARE THEY!!!

Written By: saver on 06/08/08 at 12:52 am

In this time of low pay jobs, I've heard of tip jars being fought over by stores as the manager would dip into the 'take in' which ruled workers were entitled to a payback from management.

There are tip jars at STARBUCKS...is it that hard to pour coffee(or do their job?)

Now I heard of 1. leaving a tip when picking up a take-out order AND 2. the audacity of a tip jar at a 'drive-thru window'!!!!

Something wrong here, with all some or none of the above?

The explanation I heard someone gives at a take-out window, is that the people worked hard to put that order together for someone to pick up,BUT now a pizza chain is offering 4-10 inch pizzas for $4.oo each, so if everyone is ordering the specials, the team is making 4x ??pizzas for customers and boxing them etc..BUT THEY HAVE TO NOW THAT THEY ARE OFFERING IT!

Subject: Re: Tip jar at a drive-thru window? HOW DARE THEY!!!

Written By: gibbo on 06/08/08 at 1:08 am

In this time of low pay jobs, I've heard of tip jars being fought over by stores as the manager would dip into the 'take in' which ruled workers were entitled to a payback from management.

There are tip jars at STARBUCKS...is it that hard to pour coffee(or do their job?)

Now I heard of 1. leaving a tip when picking up a take-out order AND 2. the audacity of a tip jar at a 'drive-thru window'!!!!

Something wrong here, with all some or none of the above?

The explanation I heard someone gives at a take-out window, is that the people worked hard to put that order together for someone to pick up,BUT now a pizza chain is offering 4-10 inch pizzas for $4.oo each, so if everyone is ordering the specials, the team is making 4x ??pizzas for customers and boxing them etc..BUT THEY HAVE TO NOW THAT THEY ARE OFFERING IT!

We don't really tip in Australia .....If the service is bad can you take money OUT of the tip jar??

Written By: saver on 06/08/08 at 1:29 am

We don't really tip in Australia .....If the service is bad can you take money OUT of the tip jar??

Don't they care if the service is prompt in Australia(the acronym for tip=to insure promptness)..but in some cases, the stores would be broke if for bad service we could take money out!

BY THE WAY: If we were to throw moneyinto a tip jar in Australia, would it circle the jar clockwise or counterclockwise?
                    Heard about a guy who was in Australia when his baby started to walk and now that it is back in the US it walks on its hands! :D

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/08 at 2:05 am

At the local Domino's Pizza here, whenever I pay with my bank card, I get an option asking me if I want to leave a tip.  It's friggin' take-out.  Why would I leave a tip?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/08/08 at 4:51 am

Ohhhhh, this is something that makes me nuts, too.  Starbucks puts the tip jar at the register so you can tip before you get your order.  That, to me, is extortion.   

Written By: Gis on 06/08/08 at 4:52 am

Don't really tip in the U.K either. If you go into a restaurant for a sit down meal a tip is added to the bill automatically in some places, it says so at the bottom of your receipt.

You don't tip in a fast food place though or bars. So a jar at a drive thru would never happen here.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 06/08/08 at 5:15 am

Don't they care if the service is prompt in Australia(the acronym for tip=to insure promptness)..but in some cases, the stores would be broke if for bad service we could take money out!

BY THE WAY: If we were to throw moneyinto a tip jar in Australia, would it circle the jar clockwise or counterclockwise?
                    Heard about a guy who was in Australia when his baby started to walk and now that it is back in the US it walks on its hands! :D

The service is prompt in Australia because we actually pay our staff above minimum wages to do the job. That why tipping is not needed or even encouraged here and never has been.

If the US paid better wages you too could all stop tipping. The rest of the world shakes their heads in wonderment.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/08/08 at 5:20 am

What tips actually do is subsidize the employer.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/08/08 at 12:48 pm

I haven't seen a tip jar at a drive thru yet, but I have seen an increasing number of unwanted, restaurant sponsored solicitations for various charities. Arby's in SC as well as Applebees have done this.

Ohhhhh, this is something that makes me nuts, too.  Starbucks puts the tip jar at the register so you can tip before you get your order.  That, to me, is extortion.   

Tipping for Starbucks coffee? That'll be the day.

What tips actually do is subsidize the employer.

I never thought of it that way. I do like the idea of tipping though: it allows direct feedback from the customer to the servers on the quality of their service.

Ant

Written By: danootaandme on 06/08/08 at 3:47 pm

I never thought of it that way. I do like the idea of tipping though: it allows direct feedback from the customer to the servers on the quality of their service.

Ant

I don't mind tipping a server at all, I think they should be paid a living wage like everyone else, the tip would be just that, a tip for service.  Ronnie Reagan, hero to some of the working class, decreed that all waiters and waitresses added 6%(I think) to their gross wages for income tax purposes.  So along with being paid less than minimum wage, they are assumed to make a certain level of tips.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/08 at 6:17 pm

I don't have a problem with a tip jar being put there.  Leave a tip if you want to, or stiff them if you feel it appropriate.   :-\\

I generally tip 20%, with a minimum of $3.00.  I figure I do well, the waitress works hard, why not give them a generous tip.  Anywhere that I am a "regular" they service me good, too.  :)

That said if I am given crappy service, well...  Way back when, before the Euro, when the French spent Francs,I was in a restaurant in France and the servier was rude and the service was crappy.   8-P  I left a symbolic tip of one Centime (that was one-fifth of a cent back in '72).   ;D

Now what DOES irk me about tipping is when you go into a restaurant and they have the sign that says "For your convenience, parties of 6 or more people will automatically have a 15% gratuity added to the bill".  While I appreciate their consideration of my convenience, I make it a point to never take a "party of six" to places like that.  Its a pity, if they did not post the stupid sign I woulda tipped them 20%.  ::)

Written By: danootaandme on 06/08/08 at 6:23 pm

Now what DOES irk me about tipping is when you go into a restaurant and they have the sign that says "For your convenience, parties of 6 or more people will automatically have a 15% gratuity added to the bill".  While I appreciate their consideration of my convenience, I make it a point to never take a "party of six" to places like that.  Its a pity, if they did not post the stupid sign I woulda tipped them 20%.  ::)

Not only that, but on bills paid with credit cards it has been found that certain restaurants have been giving the server less than the stated tip and the managers pocketing the rest. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/08 at 6:28 pm

Not only that, but on bills paid with credit cards it has been found that certain restaurants have been giving the server less than the stated tip and the managers pocketing the rest. 

Yeah.  The girl who cuts my hair used to work at this place where, if you put the tip on the credit card, the owner would deduct the portion of the credit card transaction fee that applied to the tip portion.  That is "somewhat" understandable, but in my opinion pretty cheesy on the part of the owner.  So I always tipped her in cash.

She eventually moved to a different place and I followed her.

Written By: La Roche on 06/09/08 at 12:06 pm

I have a simple rule for tipping.

If it's a personalized service then there is the chance of a tip.

For instance, the guy that sprayed my house for bugs. After he was done he came around after his check, I handed it to him then he stood there for a minute not really saying anything then announced "Ok, see you next year." I'm sure he expected a tip, but what and why? Am I supposed to tip him 15% of the exuberant sum he charged just to spray some chemicals around my basement? Why would I tip him anyway, he's done exactly what he does for everyone else.

Same with my mechanic. He's a good guy and is one of those rare things, a pretty honest mechanic. He's had the opportunity to rip me off and hasn't but I know he doesn't expect a tip and I wouldn't give him one unless there were extraordinary circumstances. If I take my car for the brakes to be adjusted.. well, that's what he does. There was one occasion when he actually did something for me for no charge, it only took him 5 minutes and the part cost all of about 50 cents, but regardless, I appreciated that and bought him a 6 pack to show my gratitude.

I have never ever tipped at a fast food place and never would. That's bizarre. However, a buddy of mine is a short order cook at a bar and he's told me that close to a third of customers don't tip him at all. Even though he cooks their meals a specific way that they ask him to (i.e rare, medium, well done etc) He doesn't expect 15 or 20% just a buck or two to say thanks.

Written By: thewolrab on 06/10/08 at 6:42 am

Sorry, no way I'm tipping at a fast food / drive thru environment. At a restaraunt, no less than 18% unless the service is terrible. But not at a drive thru or fast food place, I'm sorry. Not going to happen in my lifetime even if it becomes the norm - I'll just become an ass then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/08 at 6:09 pm

I don't have a problem with a tip jar being put there.  Leave a tip if you want to, or stiff them if you feel it appropriate.   :-\\

I generally tip 20%, with a minimum of $3.00.  I figure I do well, the waitress works hard, why not give them a generous tip.  Anywhere that I am a "regular" they service me good, too.  :)

That said if I am given crappy service, well...  Way back when, before the Euro, when the French spent Francs,I was in a restaurant in France and the servier was rude and the service was crappy.   8-P  I left a symbolic tip of one Centime (that was one-fifth of a cent back in '72).   ;D

I always tip waitstaff.  I feel the same way, they work hard for pittance base-pay.

Counter help?  Nah.  Some places around here, in my considered opinion, those tips go into the employee's general reefer fund!
:P

TIPS

Hey, wtf?

Sorry, I'm dyslexic.
:-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...