inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Get Smart-The Movie

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/08/08 at 12:39 pm

Who will be seeing this film?

Subject: Re: Get Smart-The Movie

Written By: whistledog on 06/08/08 at 12:40 pm

I will.  It looks great :)

Steve Carell was a great choice to play Maxwell Smart, though I think inthe00s own MaxwellSmart would have done a pretty good job ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/08/08 at 2:46 pm

I will.  It looks great :)

Steve Carell was a great choice to play Maxwell Smart, though I think inthe00s own MaxwellSmart would have done a pretty good job ;D

The last time he saw a thread on the new Get Smart movie he went into a rage.  He's pretty sensitive about people messing with perfection.  However you are right, he would make a good one and probably do Don Adam's portrayal some justice.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/08 at 6:24 pm

I wonder if this movie will be as good as the original Get Smart movie back in 1980, The Nude Bomb, which starred Don Adams and Barbara Feldon  :-*  ???

Written By: gibbo on 06/10/08 at 3:51 am

I wonder if this movie will be as good as the original Get Smart movie back in 1980, The Nude Bomb, which starred Don Adams and Barbara Feldon  :-*  ???

Looking forward to seeing the new movie...but expect them to meddle with the essence of the original characters.  The Nude Bomb was a huge disappointment for me...it just didn't work on so many levels........

Written By: Mushroom on 06/10/08 at 7:32 pm

I plan on seeing this movie Saturday night.

Fairly regularly, the studios give free advance screenings on military bases, and this weekend it is going to be Get Smart.  So will let ya all know how good/bad it is.

Actually, Barbara was not in that movie.  Her character is never even mentioned, let along her marriage to Max.  I remember seeing this movie right after it came out.  It was not bad, but it could have been better.  And even all these years later, I remember one line in particular.  2 of the female agents were named 34 and 22.  When he introduces them, he goes "34-22-34", then does one of his classic dumbfounded doubletakes.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/08 at 11:40 pm

I plan on seeing this movie Saturday night.

Fairly regularly, the studios give free advance screenings on military bases, and this weekend it is going to be Get Smart.  So will let ya all know how good/bad it is.

Actually, Barbara was not in that movie.  Her character is never even mentioned, let along her marriage to Max.  I remember seeing this movie right after it came out.  It was not bad, but it could have been better.  And even all these years later, I remember one line in particular.  2 of the female agents were named 34 and 22.  When he introduces them, he goes "34-22-34", then does one of his classic dumbfounded doubletakes.

Yeah, Mushroom is right!  It was a movie made ten years too late.  That's what its biggest problem was!  I mean, there was a time for the Peter Sellers/ Mel Brooks/Benny Hill/early Woody Allen slapstick in the late sixties, "Bananas", "Dr. Strangelove," but by 1980 we were hopped up on much edgier humor with "Animal House" and "The Blues Brothers."  "The Nude Bomb" really did look like a movie shot in 1969 as a first for a double feature! Of course, unlike any of the above, the "Nude Bomb" wasn't a good movie either...so that sort of doomed it.  If it got one over as High Camp like early John Waters movies, it might have stood a chance with the college kids, but it doesn't, it's just lame.  Fallen face flat!
:(

It is a bit less known than, say, "Johnny Dangerously."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081249/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087507/

8)

Written By: Mushroom on 06/13/08 at 7:05 am

It is a bit less known than, say, "Johnny Dangerously."

Another of my favorite movies!  8)

And yet another one of my favorite movies of the era, which nobody seems to have ever heard of.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081518/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/13/08 at 10:54 am

I remember Johnny Dangerously-in fact, we just watched it a couple of months ago (Carlos never heard of it so I had to introduce him to it).  Whenever I see a movie that they speak Latin, I say, "I ride the bus. We all ride the bus". Carlos had no idea where that came from until we watched JD. Now, when I say it-he gets the reference.

As for Get Smart-I REALLY, REALLY hate it when take a 60s/70s t.v. show and turn it into a movie. Can't they come up with any new ideas? There are very few of those "remakes" that I have actually seen nor do I really care to.

Cat

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/13/08 at 11:29 am

I remember Johnny Dangerously-in fact, we just watched it a couple of months ago (Carlos never heard of it so I had to introduce him to it).  Whenever I see a movie that they speak Latin, I say, "I ride the bus. We all ride the bus". Carlos had no idea where that came from until we watched JD. Now, when I say it-he gets the reference.

As for Get Smart-I REALLY, REALLY hate it when take a 60s/70s t.v. show and turn it into a movie. Can't they come up with any new ideas? There are very few of those "remakes" that I have actually seen nor do I really care to.

Cat

I agree.

They are redoing 'The Hulk' because the 2003 film tanked!

Check for new replies or respond here...