inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Violent Femmes cover Gnarls Barkley

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/08 at 12:33 pm

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander I suppose.  Gnarls Barkley covered "Gone Daddy Gone" for their first album, and now the Violent Femmes are going to cover "Crazy" from that album.  The Femmes really make it into a creepy song.

According to the band's website it's Like a Morricone-style dirge recorded by The Mamas and The Papas, Violent Femmes' cover of Gnarls Barkley's infamous "Crazy" is like nothing you've heard from the legendary alt-rock trio before. Their oft-imitated folk-punk sound is flavored with surf-rock guitar and Theremin, creating a tranquility that is somber and otherworldly.

Full story at StereoGum

amiright.com

Subject: Re: Violent Femmes cover Gnarls Barkley

Written By: Echo Nomad on 06/10/08 at 1:16 pm

Wow, has that song been out that long already?

I liked that song (Crazy) because it had a real R&B sound to it. However I also figured he'd be a one hit wonder. :-[

Subject: Re: Violent Femmes cover Gnarls Barkley

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/10/08 at 1:31 pm

Wow, has that song been out that long already?

I liked that song (Crazy) because it had a real R&B sound to it. However I also figured he'd be a one hit wonder. :-[

"Smiling Faces" from that same album has a bit of an old R&B feel as well.  I don't love everything they've done, but what I do like by them, I really like it.

Check for new replies or respond here...