inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Airlines say: U pay what U weigh!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/08 at 10:45 pm

Is this the worst business maneuver since we lived in caves or what?
8-P

http://cbs2chicago.com/consumer/airline.weight.fee.2.741830.html

Sorry about the cheesy Chicago TV station, but it came up first on "airlines pay weigh."
:D

Sorry about the emoticon overload!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ylsuper.gif

Subject: Re: Airlines say: U pay what U weigh!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/11/08 at 10:50 pm

So...thin people should pay less? I think if you are able to fit in a seat...you should pay what everybody else pays. What...are they going to start charging handicapped people more because their wheelchair weighs more? This is ridiculous. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/08 at 10:57 pm

So...thin people should pay less? I think if you are able to fit in a seat...you should pay what everybody else pays. What...are they going to start charging handicapped people more because their wheelchair weighs more? This is ridiculous. ::)

Plus some people feel rather touchy about the subject, it's quite personal-like--they line of inquiry might as well run: "Ticket and passport are all in order.  Now, Mrs. Teaberry up on the scale!
"I beg your bloody...."
"Up, up!  Very good Mrs. Teaberry"
"Now, Mrs. Teaberry when was the last time you had sexual intercourse?"
"Wot? Wot?"
"Oh, or are you a virgin....a lesbian?"
And on and so on and so on ad nauseam.

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/08 at 11:08 pm

A while ago, they were charging overweight people for 2 seats.  It's getting ridiculous.  What next .. banning them from flying? ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/11/08 at 11:18 pm

Well since I weigh as much as the airplane, there goes my option to ever fly again.  ;D  Not that I have flown in about 20 years anyway.  Just gives me all the more reason to be a hermit and stay home.  :-[

I'm still waiting for them to build that highway to Hawaii.  ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/11/08 at 11:21 pm

Plus some people feel rather touchy about the subject, it's quite personal-like--they line of inquiry might as well run: "Ticket and passport are all in order.  Now, Mrs. Teaberry up on the scale!
"I beg your bloody...."
"Up, up!  Very good Mrs. Teaberry"
"Now, Mrs. Teaberry when was the last time you had sexual intercourse?"
"Wot? Wot?"
"Oh, or are you a virgin....a lesbian?"
And on and so on and so on ad nauseam.

That's true. I mean, I don't make it a habit of telling others what I weigh..the only other person that knows is my doctor. I wouldn't feel comfortable jumping up on a scale before boarding a plane.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/08 at 11:24 pm

In my day it was known as the Dozens:

"Hey, yo' mama's so fat she rides the bus they charge her double-fare!"
8)

OK, then it's cheaper for me 'n' Earline to drive to Miami and stop at every Roy Rogers on the way!

Oh the business they'd lose!

You're taking off from Dallas, it's like saying: "Welcome to Jerusalem Airlines.  No Jews or Muslims, please!"

If the fat American isn't flying anymore, we're in for revolution!
:o

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/08 at 11:36 pm

I think it's all some money making scheme.  Inside airports, there are fast food places that sell greasy hamburgers and fattening fries.  You pay an arm and a leg for fattening food.  You get fat, then you have to pay double to get on the plane.

If I went to an airport, and they told me I had to get on a scale before getting on the plane, you can bet I'd voice my anger and grief and make a public spectacle

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/08 at 11:59 pm

I think it's all some money making scheme.  Inside airports, there are fast food places that sell greasy hamburgers and fattening fries.  You pay an arm and a leg for fattening food.  You get fat, then you have to pay double to get on the plane.

If I went to an airport, and they told me I had to get on a scale before getting on the plane, you can bet I'd voice my anger and grief and make a public spectacle

Shut yer noise you!  Now:
Up! Up! Up on the scale before I tears you a new one where the sun don't shine.  Good, Whistledog, Good boy.  Have biscout, nice doggie!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing4.gif

This isn't your grandpa's airline where they served you free scotch and you got a wingchair.  This is Soviet!  "No, comrade, we cannot take the fat one, we're reaching our kilograms per passanger limit? 

"You mean to tell me that if Uncle Louie gets on the plane, that bird could go down?"
Vote of confidence for our aircraft!

Written By: saver on 06/12/08 at 12:05 am

Not sure if they would be better off with  PAY FOR SIZE...but then they probably could be sued for discrimination.

If someone has 'love handles and thighs' that bleed onto my seat, I think they have 'abused' the use of the seat. Yes, the body shifts when sitting, but don't let anyof your 'skin' onto the space that is left for me to rotate if my leg falls asleep.

Some people are top heavy and hulk-like on top, as long as they can fit in the seat ok.

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/08 at 12:08 am

Shut yer noise you!  Now:
Up! Up! Up on the scale before I tears you a new one where the sun don't shine

LOL if some airline person talked to me like that, he'd have to go to the E/R to have that scale removed from his asshole ;D

This isn't your grandpa's airline where they served you free scotch and you got a wingchair.  This is Soviet!  "No, comrade, we cannot take the fat one, we're reaching our kilograms per passanger limit? 

"You mean to tell me that if Uncle Louie gets on the plane, that bird could go down?"
Vote of confidence for our aircraft!

There is a certain weight limit on a plane, but I wouldn't think a bunch of fat people could bring an aircraft to it's knees.  

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 12:13 am

Not sure if they would be better off with  PAY FOR SIZE...but then they probably could be sued for discrimination.

If someone has 'love handles and thighs' that bleed onto my seat, I think they have 'abused' the use of the seat. Yes, the body shifts when sitting, but don't let anyof your 'skin' onto the space that is left for me to rotate if my leg falls asleep.

Some people are top heavy and hulk-like on top, as long as they can fit in the seat ok.

then again if I had to choose between a heavy person bumping into me in my seat...or someone that smells like horrible body odor...give me the chubby person anyday. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/08 at 12:21 am

then again if I had to choose between a heavy person bumping into me in my seat...or someone that smells like horrible body odor...give me the chubby person anyday. ::)

So the boys in ice cream lab coats and black licorice bowties approach you with their "Smell-O-Meter" and declare:
"Flashing red 10--ripe compost heap on July afternoon."
"Sir, I can get you to San Diego, but it's gonna cost you $15,000 dollars!
::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 12:23 am

So the boys in ice cream lab coats and black licorice bowties approach you with their "Smell-O-Meter" and declare:
"Flashing red 10--ripe compost heap on July afternoon."
"Sir, I can get you to San Diego, but it's gonna cost you $15,000 dollars!

now THAT was funny. ;D

Written By: saver on 06/12/08 at 1:10 am

Maybe the higher fares will keep the Hillbilly element away, but then the flying salesmen who run to catch that morning flight may reek.

THANKS FOR FLYING GREYHOUND! :)

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/12/08 at 1:46 am

Hm, well interesting, but I saw this on the internet days ago, so get ready folks, its already here....

Derrie-Air. Pack Less. Weigh Less. Pay Less.

Yes, I know its a joke, or is it?

Written By: Jessica on 06/12/08 at 2:12 am

But don't you know? Fat people are fat and they smell bad! They also stuff their faces and ask for whatever insults they get! ::)

I don't give a schitt what they charge. I ain't flying. EVER.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/12/08 at 11:21 am

But don't you know? Fat people are fat and they smell bad! They also stuff their faces and ask for whatever insults they get! ::)

I don't give a schitt what they charge. I ain't flying. EVER.

same here..I simply have no desire (and that was BEFORE hearing rumors of this outrageous plan). ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/08 at 7:38 pm

now THAT was funny. ;D

I like to sail one out there every now and again!
;)

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/13/08 at 12:04 am

I predict a discrimination lawsuit will be filed in less than six months.  The Fat Acceptance people aren't going to let this one slip by.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/08 at 1:05 am

I predict a discrimination lawsuit will be filed in less than six months.  The Fat Acceptance people aren't going to let this one slip by.

Wait, wait, wait...

They need to go by total gross weight, not the body mass index.  So that obese four year old weighing 90 pounds can get on with his Krispy Kreme deep-fried, but the very fit 6' 3" guy has to pay more because he weighs wice as much!

Ha ha Tall people! Did it to yourselves this time!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/08 at 1:08 am

Wait, wait, wait...

They need to go by total gross weight, not the body mass index.  So that obese four year old weighing 90 pounds can get on with his Krispy Kreme deep-fried, but the very fit 6' 3" guy has to pay more because he weighs twice as much!

Your wife's obese, you're not, but you're also eight inches taller than she, so it kinda evens out!

Written By: saver on 06/14/08 at 5:17 am

If the country is geting heavy, I think I'd be thinkingof starting an airline for 'heavy people only', extra wide seats, lots of food, now would be the time to start building as we are not headed for the light and thin direction. Then if they are put out by high prices, they could lose weight and fly 'thin-air' planes that serve veggies and water and cost less.
More people could fit on it etc... 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 10:56 am

Wait, wait, wait...

They need to go by total gross weight, not the body mass index.  So that obese four year old weighing 90 pounds can get on with his Krispy Kreme deep-fried, but the very fit 6' 3" guy has to pay more because he weighs wice as much!

OOOhhh, I didn't think about that. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/14/08 at 5:02 pm

Wait, wait, wait...

Aw, nuts.  :-[

I'm reporting you to the Tall Acceptance Association.  ;D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/14/08 at 6:42 pm

Aw, nuts.  :-[

I'm reporting you to the Tall Acceptance Association.  ;D

Doesn't it hurt to be politically correct?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/14/08 at 9:57 pm

If the country is geting heavy, I think I'd be thinkingof starting an airline for 'heavy people only', extra wide seats, lots of food, now would be the time to start building as we are not headed for the light and thin direction. Then if they are put out by high prices, they could lose weight and fly 'thin-air' planes that serve veggies and water and cost less.
More people could fit on it etc... 

ya because ALL people that happen to be overweight love to stuff their face with twinkies and tons of other garbage. ::)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/15/08 at 12:04 am

Doesn't it hurt to be politically correct?

YETH!!!

Because I'm 6'3", and I'm thenthitive about that thtuff.  :o :o :o

Written By: saver on 06/15/08 at 12:33 am

Saw the news tonigth..it seems the airlines are trying to be creative week to week..but have they run outof ideas since the latest of charge for orange juice/soda $2?

Unless they go through with pay for your window or aisle seat....news thinks some majors will declare bankruptcy..

Have they finished adding charges you think? 

Maybe they'll 'blackout' the windows next and charge you to 'look out' them?..uh oh, better not give them ideas...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/15/08 at 12:38 am

Maybe they'll put a monster on the wing of each plane ala Twilight Zone and charge for each passanger that does NOT want the monster to bash out the engines...ok...maybe that was an obscure reference...but really one of Shatner's better acting gigs.

Written By: Red Ant on 06/15/08 at 9:29 am

I wonder how much extra weight actually affects the fuel consumption rate of an airplane. With bush planes, adding in 300 extra pounds of weight means you might not take off. That same weight in a Boeing 767 is almost neglible given how much they weigh fully fueled (but empty of passengers). But, if 200 passengers are carrying an extra 20 lbs each, either in their bags or around their waists, that's two tons extra weight, and that does affect fuel efficiency. Should the airlines just eat that extra cost?

High fuel prices have already busted three airlines this year, and by the end of the year I'd bet that one or more of the major carriers goes belly up or merges with another airline.

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/08 at 6:54 pm

When you consider the weight of the plane itself and all the force it takes to take off and stay in flight, I doubt a 300 pound man makes any more appreciable difference than a 100 pound woman. 

However, when airlines start refusing to serve you those tiny bags of party mix and charge two bucks for a drink of water, they show themselves as the petty skinflints they really are.

Written By: Marian on 06/17/08 at 2:30 pm

A while ago, they were charging overweight people for 2 seats.  It's getting ridiculous.  What next .. banning them from flying? ::)
Well,if you need 2 seats,you should pay for them.If you made a shirt for yourself,you would have to buy extra fabric if you were larger.So why not pay for the extra seat.

Written By: Marian on 06/17/08 at 2:33 pm

Actually,I saw a fat acceptance activist on a talk show once,(he was fat,btw),and if he said if you don't want to pay for 2 seats,lose weight.he felt fat people are perfectly capable of payning for what they use,and cpmplaining just makes them seem like thy'yre trying to get special priviledges or something.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/17/08 at 3:00 pm

Actually,I saw a fat acceptance activist on a talk show once,(he was fat,btw),and if he said if you don't want to pay for 2 seats,lose weight.he felt fat people are perfectly capable of payning for what they use,and cpmplaining just makes them seem like thy'yre trying to get special priviledges or something.

Fat people who have the money to pay for two seats.  Losing weight is more difficult than people think.  So, I guess when an obese person has to go somewhere (like perhaps a funeral) they're expected to loose weight?

Written By: Marian on 06/18/08 at 2:02 pm

Fat people who have the money to pay for two seats.  Losing weight is more difficult than people think.  So, I guess when an obese person has to go somewhere (like perhaps a funeral) they're expected to loose weight?
Well,i think part of the guy's point is griping about having to pay for something larger,when it does cost more to make it(seat,shirt,bed,etc)gives fat people a bad image and makes them seem wimpy.he had a problem,also,with people consumong more,but not wanting to pay more.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/08 at 11:53 pm

I mean this is just petty and crude. 

"I don't like the park, Smithers.
Too many fat children"
--Montgomery Burns

"I wanted to live in a country where the poor people are fat."
--Dinesh D'Souza
(rentboy of the above)

The arugula-eating elite from First Class don't believe they should have to pay a few cents more themselves because some people refuse to take care of their own personal responsibilities!

Thank about it, if you buy a two-thousand-dollar First Class booking, I don't think they're going to be asking about your weight!

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 9:44 am

Fat fat fat fat fat fat fatty fatty fat fat. I just pooted.
my short-timer alarm is going ding ding ding.

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 9:57 am

i got a bogie on my TrollDar.

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 10:15 am

i got a bogie on my TrollDar.
lol. not anymore.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 10:22 am

lol. not anymore.

Tia is a RAT!

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 10:27 am

Tia is a RAT!
das me, mr. state's evidence.

man, seriously, that cannibal story was literally the stuff of nightmares. :o

Written By: Jessica on 06/19/08 at 10:36 am

I ratted him out, too! HA!

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 10:41 am

das me, mr. state's evidence.

man, seriously, that cannibal story was literally the stuff of nightmares. :o

I ratted him out, too! HA!

And that's how this place got boring. Bunch of snitches :P

Back on topic... i think airlines should shut the f. up if they want clients.

Written By: Tia on 06/19/08 at 10:50 am

And that's how this place got boring. Bunch of snitches :P

Back on topic... i think airlines should shut the f. up if they want clients.
i think they should cut costs by secretly serving their standby customers to their coach customers, and their coach customers to their first class customers.

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 10:53 am

i think they should cut costs by secretly serving their standby customers to their coach customers, and their coach customers to their first class customers.

Wait a sec...didn't that happened to you? I've kissed a bunch of flight attendants butts and they never did that for me. What's the secret?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 7:00 pm

I think they should charge people extra for extra heavy jewelery, but some would call that "profiling!"
;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/21/08 at 9:44 pm

naafa should know about this

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 1:59 am

naafa should know about this

how duz naafa feel about nafta?

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/23/08 at 10:31 pm

how duz naafa feel about nafta?

Hard to tell with that loud sucking noise .AlA Ross Pierrot

Check for new replies or respond here...