inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are we entering another "teen pop" era?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/15/08 at 5:15 pm

I'm not happy about it, but ever since hip hop lost its grip on pop music in 2007 the only things that seem to be big are pop acts like Jesse McCartney  8-P and Miley Cyrus, some R&B (Usher's still pretty big, but WAY past his peak), and pop-emo. It seems like ALL of it is aimed at tweens, much like the teen pop era of '99-'01. I know most will say that the pop-punk and hip hop of '02 - '07 were aimed at tweens, but I know people into their 20's that still listened to it, but now I can't find a person over 16 who likes anything big now.
I suppose this topic leads to another, perhaps more important question: what comes after this era, in the beginning of the 2010's? We all know that new wave laid the groundwork for 80's fashion and influenced many of its biggest pop acts after disco's death, that alternative gave direction to 90's music after the 80's teen pop acts like Paula Abdul and New Kids on the Block fizzled out, and that urban music got rid of NSync and that ilk and dominated the 00's lanscape. You can answer this last one if you'd like, but I want to know if you see the same thing in todays music scene.

Subject: Re: Are we entering another "teen pop" era?

Written By: Brian06 on 06/15/08 at 5:28 pm

No dude I have the radio on now and it's like 90% hip-hop/r&b or highly influenced by it on every channel. There's always been a few teen pop acts out there like you had Hilary Duff a few years ago. Jesse McCartney's new song is like Justin Timberlake, it's basically hip-hop anyway. Look at the myspace top artists or yahoo top videos, it's like all hip-hop/rnb like music.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/08 at 8:02 pm

I hear you VegettoVa90.

Not only is the music taking over, but now we see teen pop idols like Miley, doing revealing photo shoots.  Where will it all end? ???

Written By: tv on 06/15/08 at 8:12 pm

No dude I have the radio on now and it's like 90% hip-hop/r&b or highly influenced by it on every channel. There's always been a few teen pop acts out there like you had Hilary Duff a few years ago. Jesse McCartney's new song is like Justin Timberlake, it's basically hip-hop anyway. Look at the myspace top artists or yahoo top videos, it's like all hip-hop/rnb like music.
I thought Jesse McCartney's new song sounds R&B but not Hip-Hop nor does he sound like Justin Timberlake. Maybe I just didn;t listen enough to the song.

As for Hip-Hop's dominance I think its on its way out. R&B is still there though so I agree with you there.

As for another teen-pop I think people are still hung over from the last teen-pop era. I mean to me MTV overexposed the last teen-pop era too much that people just don;t want another teen-pop era 8-10 years later.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/15/08 at 8:16 pm

I thought Jesse McCartney's new song sounds R&B but not Hip-Hop nor does he sound like Justin Timberlake. Maybe I just didn;t listen enough to the song.

As for Hip-Hop's dominance I think its on its way out. R&B is still there though so I agree with you there.

As for another teen-pop I think people are still hung over from the last teen-pop era. I mean to me MTV overexposed the last teen-pop era too much that people just don;t want another teen-pop era 8-10 years later.

Well not exactly like Justin but that's the closest pop r&b connection I could think of. Maybe it's more accurate to say rnb pop is dominant though it seems like the fanbases between that stuff and rap/hip-hop overlaps a lot so they get grouped together. But yeah 50 cent style "true hip-hop" so to say is probably decreasing in popularity.

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/08 at 9:32 pm

Teen Pop will always be around.  There is no escape.  Don't complain about it; just accept it lol

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/15/08 at 10:31 pm

Yeah, Hip-Hop has been declining in sales quite a bit over the last year or so. It hasn't disappeared by any means, but it's not like it was in 2003 and 2004 were almost every song in the top 10 would be a rap song.

As far as the "Disney Teen Pop" thing, that does date back several years to Hillary Duff as Brian said, but it does appear to getting a bit more popular with the likes of Miley Cyrus and others of her ilk. Of course, I haven't been with the middle school crowd for many years, so I can't say for sure how popular it is compared to the late '90s.

Written By: Tam on 06/15/08 at 10:35 pm

I'm not happy about it, but ever since hip hop lost its grip on pop music in 2007 the only things that seem to be big are pop acts like Jesse McCartney  8-P and Miley Cyrus, some R&B (Usher's still pretty big, but WAY past his peak), and pop-emo. It seems like ALL of it is aimed at tweens, much like the teen pop era of '99-'01. I know most will say that the pop-punk and hip hop of '02 - '07 were aimed at tweens, but I know people into their 20's that still listened to it, but now I can't find a person over 16 who likes anything big now.
I suppose this topic leads to another, perhaps more important question: what comes after this era, in the beginning of the 2010's? We all know that new wave laid the groundwork for 80's fashion and influenced many of its biggest pop acts after disco's death, that alternative gave direction to 90's music after the 80's teen pop acts like Paula Abdul and New Kids on the Block fizzled out, and that urban music got rid of NSync and that ilk and dominated the 00's lanscape. You can answer this last one if you'd like, but I want to know if you see the same thing in todays music scene.

It's not another teen pop era, because teen pop has always been around.

Michael Jackson, New Kids, New Edition, Diana Ross, *NSync, Hillary Duff, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson, Lil Bow Wow... I could go on naming them but I think you get the idea. There has always been teen pop, no matter the decade so it isn't anything As a matter of fact, if it weren't for teens starting out at a young age, some of our biggest musical influences may never have come to light...

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 06/15/08 at 11:04 pm

Really, look outside of the Jonases and Hannah/Miley and you find Rap-ish music. This teen pop is more of a niche than a whole wide movement like in 97-01.

Check for new replies or respond here...