inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Surviving the Hits - Suzanna Vega talks about being labeled a two hit wonder

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/19/08 at 7:38 am

In case you've ever wondered why I've never started a "one hit wonder" or "two hit wonder" section on amIright it's because I despise the term.  I see it usually applied to groups and performers that may not have had a lot of chart success but still managed to make a huge impact in the pop world such as Devo or Thomas Dolby. I've even seen it applied to groups like Men Without Hats that had more than one top ten twenty hit!

In the following article Suzanne Vega discusses her experiences with writing Luka and being labeled as a two hit wonder.  It's a fantastic read. I've got most of her albums, so maybe I'm biased because I realize she's done so much fantastic music in the past twenty years.

Full Story at NY Times

amiright.com

Subject: Re: Surviving the Hits - Suzanna Vega talks about being labeled a two hit wonder

Written By: thereshegoes on 06/19/08 at 9:45 am

Thank you for the article cool stuff. I've been a fan of Suzanne since she first started and maybe she only had a couple of top40 hits but to me she has been one of the major female influences in the music scene. I believe she can be proud of never changing her act in order to sell more albums,as a part of her little (which is not that little!) cult folowing i appreciate her integrity 8)

Subject: Re: Surviving the Hits - Suzanna Vega talks about being labeled a two hit wonder

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/19/08 at 4:03 pm

Good article.  I'm glad that you make mention of Men without Hats also.  They are so much more than The Safety Dance.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/08 at 1:23 am

When one hit wonders are usually talked about, they never take into account the success of these artists in other parts of the world ...

Suzanne Vega had 5 Top 40 hits in the UK
Men Without Hats had 6 Top 40 hits in Canada

Check for new replies or respond here...