inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are boys more general than girls in what they like as kids?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/19/08 at 4:44 pm

I hope this doesn't sound sexist (anyone who knows me knows I'm relatively feminist and girly too lol...so no offense to anyone!) but judging on what I remember, as well as stuff I've seen in tv or movies, it does seem like boys are a little more across the board in terms of what they like. Both little kids as well as teenagers.

For instance, more boys in my school during the '90s seemed to like some '80s songs, or maybe they didn't mind wearing a style of clothes that wasn't necesarilly that cool. Whereas girls might base their tastes on a celebrity being "cute" (although I've done that alot myself too, with Paula Abdul for instance, lol) as opposed to just their personal tastes. Especially around friends and stuff.

Like I say all the time though, it just depends on the person. ;)

Subject: Re: Are boys more general than girls in what they like as kids?

Written By: Bob on 06/19/08 at 6:53 pm

It seems like it, but I've seen some boys who are very narrow in taste too. I'd say girls are conditioned to like "trendy" things more, and perhaps naturally like what other people like more because they're more social.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/08 at 7:04 pm

I didn't need toys, really.  Just give me something to dismantle, smash, or burn and I'd be just as happy!  It was my sister who had to have the latest Barbie accessories and whatnot!
;D

Written By: audkal on 06/19/08 at 10:37 pm

I hope this doesn't sound sexist (anyone who knows me knows I'm relatively feminist and girly too lol...so no offense to anyone!) but judging on what I remember, as well as stuff I've seen in tv or movies, it does seem like boys are a little more across the board in terms of what they like. Both little kids as well as teenagers.

For instance, more boys in my school during the '90s seemed to like some '80s songs, or maybe they didn't mind wearing a style of clothes that wasn't necesarilly that cool. Whereas girls might base their tastes on a celebrity being "cute" (although I've done that alot myself too, with Paula Abdul for instance, lol) as opposed to just their personal tastes. Especially around friends and stuff.

Like I say all the time though, it just depends on the person. ;)

Generally that sounds about right--although for me personally I was more opposite.  But I guess that's why it was hard fitting in with girls and the typical stuff they liked, never interested me as much.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/08 at 10:53 pm

I noticed the same thing when I was still in school. Obviously there were both girls and boys that were really trendy, but I knew plenty more girls that tried to keep up with the latest music and trends.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/08 at 11:06 pm

Both sexes feel a strong need to fit in, but I think more so girls because to them friendship and bonding is more important and critical to their sense of themselves. They see themselves more as a part of a group, and relative to that, while boys at least have some sense of independence. Course some girls too, but I'm talking in general.

Written By: midnite on 06/19/08 at 11:28 pm

I agree somewhat.  Generally, boys and men (who are boys anyways) have broad hobbies that keep them busy.  Generally, alot of girls and women do not have as many hobbies. 

Boys do things together and generally do not talk alot.  Girls talk together and generally do not do alot of things.  I am not trying to sound harsh but I think it is true.  My point is that guys do not talk on the phone, they hang out and do things together.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 1:02 pm

Generally that sounds about right--although for me personally I was more opposite.  But I guess that's why it was hard fitting in with girls and the typical stuff they liked, never interested me as much.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's kinda like me not always fitting in with other boys/guys through the years, lol. I was cool with them and could be friends, but I never felt like "one of them" either, if that makes sense.

Boys do things together and generally do not talk alot.  Girls talk together and generally do not do alot of things.  I am not trying to sound harsh but I think it is true.  My point is that guys do not talk on the phone, they hang out and do things together.

Again, another way that I'm definitely a girl at heart. ;D Seriously though, I think one reason I was always easygoing with what I liked, was that I started developing my tastes and meaningful life experiences when I was 4 or 5, not 13. So I was less discriminating. Little kids don't care about image, whereas teens more often do.

I also think you're probably right that TYPICAL guys are more activity-oriented, and girls talk and are more social.

Written By: wildcard on 06/20/08 at 2:09 pm

I do think girls try to fit in with Babie dolls or whatever. As for me I didn't care about the latest Barbie stuff or whatever. 

Written By: Step-chan on 06/20/08 at 2:15 pm

I do think girls try to fit in with Babie dolls or whatever. As for me I didn't care about the latest Barbie stuff or whatever.   

Reminds me of how I never got into sports.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 3:26 pm

Reminds me of how I never got into sports.

Yeah, I like bowling and golf, and occasionally basketball and baseball (I played a little of most sports in Elementary and Middle school), but I've never been a devoted fan or anything. Especially watching it on TV, lol.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/20/08 at 4:53 pm

Yeah, I like bowling and golf, and occasionally basketball and baseball (I played a little of most sports in Elementary and Middle school), but I've never been a devoted fan or anything. Especially watching it on TV, lol.

The only one I ever liked was bowling, but haven't done it in years.

On sports, I've never watched any on TV or went to a game. Nobody could ever get me to do that, I hated playing them in gym. I could never understand why P.E. couldn't have more class types(like for those who don't like sports).

I remember a Mallard Fillmore comic were the guy commented on Mallard playing baseball but not going to watch a game. He commented back saying that he also liked to eat, but wouldn't pay to watch other people do it.

Written By: wildcard on 06/20/08 at 5:59 pm

I bowl but haven't done it in years eaither.  I'm not a sports person and wont watch them on tv.

Written By: Bob on 06/20/08 at 6:01 pm

I don't like football much. It's so tiring and painful!

Written By: tv on 06/21/08 at 10:40 am

I remember playing basketball outside(I still have the hoop outside my house) when the NBA was huge in the 90's(the Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller, Hakeem Olujuwan, Shawn Kemp and Karl Malone era if you will of the league.)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/21/08 at 6:55 pm

I remember playing basketball outside(I still have the hoop outside my house) when the NBA was huge in the 90's(the Michael Jordan, Reggie Miller, Hakeem Olujuwan, Shawn Kemp and Karl Malone era if you will of the league.)

Yeah basketball seemed huge in the first half of the '90s and I liked Michael Jordan (I remember his Wheaties commercials too). I played it back then sometimes and I was never that good lol, but it was fun. It's probably my favorite "energetic" sport.

Check for new replies or respond here...