inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: According to VH1, the 00s are retro now

Written By: sonikuu on 06/20/08 at 4:08 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_the_New_Millennium

Yep, its time for a 00s decade nostalgia show!  Nevermind the fact that the decade isn't even done with, VH1 has decided to do one anyway!

Subject: Re: According to VH1, the 00s are retro now

Written By: josh911 on 06/20/08 at 4:17 pm

I THOUGHT VHS  ??? I DONT NOW WHATS A VH1? :-\\

Written By: Bree on 06/20/08 at 4:18 pm

After 2004, it'll be clips of "Best Week Ever"  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 4:32 pm

I THOUGHT VHS  ??? I DONT NOW WHATS A VH1? :-\\

Please tell me this post is not serious? ;D

Anyway...I was watching VH1 the other night and saw some clips for it too (with the "Wazzzzuuuup" references, that was huge in around the middle of 2000). I felt the same way. I was sure they'd to an I Love show for this decade, but you'd think they'd at least wait until it was technically over. It's actually best to wait a few years for the remaining influences to die out, meaning probably 2014ish, to really be a good time capsule. I guess they just want to milk the nostalgia for all its worth.

Written By: josh911 on 06/20/08 at 4:38 pm

Am i ever serious? ;D ;D

Written By: guest on 06/20/08 at 4:49 pm

I actually think this is a good move, considering 2007 is really the last year of the "classic 00s" anyway. Why wait until 2010 or 11 when even countdown shows are "so 2000s". ;D

Written By: Bob on 06/20/08 at 6:01 pm

They should have at least waited until 2009.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/21/08 at 2:35 am

I thought it was bad enough when they did "I Love The '90s" in 2004, but this is ridiculous. I figured they would at least wait until January 2, 2010 so the '00s could technically be over for a day first. ;D

Written By: tv on 06/21/08 at 10:10 am

The 2000-2002 period is kinda retro now but I agree with another poster on this thread that VH1 should have waited to do a documentary about the 00's on January 2nd or 3rd, 2010.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/21/08 at 10:33 am

I really haven't had time to even reflect on that time being "retro," but maybe VH1 will enlighten me on this - they are officially the gurus of Nostalgia.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 06/21/08 at 4:48 pm

I actually think this is a good move, considering 2007 is really the last year of the "classic 00s" anyway. Why wait until 2010 or 11 when even countdown shows are "so 2000s". ;D
why you say 07 was the last year of "classic 00's?" and I never heard the term classic 00s

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 7:06 pm

why you say 07 was the last year of "classic 00's?" and I never heard the term classic 00s

Well I meant "classic 00s" as in a definitive year of the decade. 2007 I considered a year that will probably be the last to consider as one that you could look at and say "yeah very 2000s." 2008 I see more as a transitional year, in part because of the politics and the upcoming election, just as 1992 was and 2000 as well.

If Obama is in the White House in 2009, and if culture really does mirror politics as I think it does, you couldn't possibly consider it to really represent the 00s, since the 2000s were the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld years. If he was elected, it'd be a big change. Even Clinton in some ways was a big change when he was elected in 92', his election, if nothing else solidified that the 90s had truly arrived.

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 7:11 pm

Its not decadeology to consider a decade to not necessarily end when the calender does. Over analyzing it is another story obviously. Like I happen to think the 80s ended after Reagan left office, just as I think the grunge explosion of 91' started the 90s, and 9/11 and the dot.com bubble unfortunately started the 00s. If Obama is elected 2009 marks the start of the 10s for me, and 2008 to some extent as well, given how much flack Bush and his croonies get these days, and their dismal approval ratings.

Written By: Gardenofeden68 on 06/21/08 at 10:49 pm

I thought it was bad enough when they did "I Love The '90s" in 2004, but this is ridiculous. I figured they would at least wait until January 2, 2010 so the '00s could technically be over for a day first. ;D

Yeah agreed, this is way too fast, I guess Vh1 was too impatient. That would've been funny to do it January 2, 2010, and while even that is a bit soon, that's at least reasonable. Why couldn't they do either another "I love the 90s", (NO SEINFELD, NO SIMPSONS, NO NICKELODEON (cept Rugrats) mentioned in the other 2), or do "I love the 60s" (perhaps they considered the first 5 years of the 60s too square and old with the black and white ;D)?

Written By: Gardenofeden68 on 06/21/08 at 10:55 pm

Well I meant "classic 00s" as in a definitive year of the decade. 2007 I considered a year that will probably be the last to consider as one that you could look at and say "yeah very 2000s." 2008 I see more as a transitional year, in part because of the politics and the upcoming election, just as 1992 was and 2000 as well.

If Obama is in the White House in 2009, and if culture really does mirror politics as I think it does, you couldn't possibly consider it to really represent the 00s, since the 2000s were the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld years. If he was elected, it'd be a big change. Even Clinton in some ways was a big change when he was elected in 92', his election, if nothing else solidified that the 90s had truly arrived.

Yeah I guess I could see what you're saying, how like the first/last 2-3 years could be sometimes be mistaken for the previous or next decade, but sometimes I do like to kinda consider some of the good parts of those first or last 2 or 3 years strictly within that decade when referring to them because of how great they can be with contributing to the decade, and usually for the most part they do look more like the decade theyre in then the next one over. Like 1998 for example can pass for 2000s ish but it still looks and still is 90s, and has a lot of great films I would strictly refer to as from "the 90s".

Like the hippie era is always said to be the 60s, but it was really most prominent in 1967/68' -1972/73'. The majority of the 60s looked like the previous decade or had an absence of the long hair ususally associated with it- its really more of a 70s thing.

I guess the Barack Obama thing could be considered both 00s and 10s, like "the late 00s and early 10s". Because if he gets elected in 08, it will most likely be recognized as a 2000s thing because it was so signifigant.

I'm done and sorry for overanalyzing  ;D

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 11:17 pm

You made good points. ;D And yeah I agree, 60s culture gets totally mistaken/ripped off for 70s culture. The hippie thing really didn't become mainstream until the tail end of the 60s-early 70s. 1960-66 was basically the 50s. Led Zeppelin was the biggest band of the 70s, but they debuted in '69. Obama probably will be considered late 00s, early 10s if he gets one term, or if he gets 2 then its late 00s-mid 10s. Not to get too analytical myself lol.

Even grunge started to generate momentum in the Seattle scene in 1988/89, even though its clearly an early/mid 90s thing. Nirvana released their debut album in '89. Disco was a good peak into what 80s culture would ultimately be, self indulgent hedonism and greed. The late 90s teen pop fad definitely was an indication of the fake/staleness of most music this decade, other than post-grunge and some adult contemporary. I think its interesting how the late part of one decade usually is a preview of what follows, and I'm keeping all eyes and ears on new things that pop up, even if its just subtle cultural references, they could provide a peak into the next major pop culture shift. Unfortunately I can't find anything so far other than the continuing decline of glam rap and emo.

Written By: thewolrab on 06/22/08 at 8:54 pm

BS, how can you consider something retro that is in progress?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 2:02 am

Pre-retro.  Pretro?
???

There's no now now!!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/23/08 at 2:23 am

Heck VH1 may not even be here in another 2 years with all the stupid "reality" shows playing on it, so they had better get their nostalgia over while they are still here.  ;)  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/23/08 at 2:59 am

I saw the episode for the year 2000 and it wasn't that bad, mostly due to the fact that alot of fads from that period have now faded and it adds to the "making fun of stuff that used to be cool" vibe of the whole "I Love The..." series.

It's just going to get strange when they get up to 2006 and 2007 and have to get "nostalgic" for stuff that happened basically yesterday. ;D

Written By: Gardenofeden68 on 06/23/08 at 9:20 pm

I saw the episode for the year 2000 and it wasn't that bad, mostly due to the fact that alot of fads from that period have now faded and it adds to the "making fun of stuff that used to be cool" vibe of the whole "I Love The..." series.

It's just going to get strange when they get up to 2006 and 2007 and have to get "nostalgic" for stuff that happened basically yesterday. ;D

I have to agree, it wasn't as bad as I thought. The recent nostalgia actually work pretty well and it's not that unreasonable, but with 2005-2007, you are absolutely right. It's going to be hard to pull off convincingly without seeming a little awkward.

And I definitely think they are going to make a 2008 and 2009 edition episodes in 2010.

Written By: sonikuu on 06/24/08 at 3:41 am

I saw 2000 and 2001 and I thought they were pretty decent, although I wish they could've covered Iron Chef in the actual show instead of in a 30 second "video blog" thing before the commercial.  Overall though, I thought it did a halfway decent job and it actually showcased how dated those years are now.

2000 was a great year for me so I absolutely loved the year 2000 episode.  Its actually inspired me to watch Gladiator again after not seeing it in years.  Also, my family had a Big Mouth Billy Bass, but I have no clue what happened to it.

2001 was decent, but it depressed me at the end with 9/11.  Yes, it was all about positivity and coming together...then you realize that within a couple years, we would invade Iraq and proceed to throw away all that away.  Still, the fact that they actually covered the XFL pleased me, as I thought I was one of the last people to remember that horrible excuse for a football league.

I do wish that they covered certain things, but I'm certain VH1 will make a sequel by the time 2010 rolls around.  I also agree that 2006-2007 will be very weird.  Heck, some parts of 2000 and 2001 were weird, like when they covered MTV Cribs, which MTV still airs new episodes of regularly.

Honestly, the only complaint I have is the fact that VH1's commercial breaks insist on reminding me about how far the network as declined.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/24/08 at 8:33 pm

^ Yeah, I was thinking the same about 2000 (and to be honest, 2001 and probably marginally '02 and '03 are old enough now as well). I haven't seen those yet though, but I'm sure they'll be in reruns for awhile. ;)

There was a surprising amount I was getting old-schoolish retro feelings over, like the first season of Survivor (the only reality tv I've ever watched, I actually got a little attached to that first cast), the "Waazzzzup" references and making fun of "Who Let the Dogs Out" (although that was ridiculous to start with).

As a general rule I think you could say anything over 4-5 years old could be retro (in a recent way), but anything earlier than that is like "pretty much today". That will make it weird when they get to the newer episodes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/08 at 9:58 pm

I saw 2000 and 2001 and I thought they were pretty decent, although I wish they could've covered Iron Chef in the actual show instead of in a 30 second "video blog" thing before the commercial.  Overall though, I thought it did a halfway decent job and it actually showcased how dated those years are now.

2000 was a great year for me so I absolutely loved the year 2000 episode.  Its actually inspired me to watch Gladiator again after not seeing it in years.  Also, my family had a Big Mouth Billy Bass, but I have no clue what happened to it.

2001 was decent, but it depressed me at the end with 9/11.  Yes, it was all about positivity and coming together...then you realize that within a couple years, we would invade Iraq and proceed to throw away all that away.  Still, the fact that they actually covered the XFL pleased me, as I thought I was one of the last people to remember that horrible excuse for a football league.

I do wish that they covered certain things, but I'm certain VH1 will make a sequel by the time 2010 rolls around.  I also agree that 2006-2007 will be very weird.  Heck, some parts of 2000 and 2001 were weird, like when they covered MTV Cribs, which MTV still airs new episodes of regularly.

Honestly, the only complaint I have is the fact that VH1's commercial breaks insist on reminding me about how far the network as declined.

Yeah, they were both fairly good years for me. 2000 was a pretty awesome year, because even though the economy began to come down a bit from the late '90s boom, it was still before 9/11 and Clinton was still in office, so it shared the carefree and prosperous feel of 1998 and 1999. 2001 was a great year up until the later part. I started High School in August and 9/11 was just a few weeks later, plus we moved that November so that was just kind of a bad time for me personally.

I also felt like they missed a few things in both years. For 2000, I felt like they should have talked about the Playstation 2 and it's huge launch and shortage that fall. That was a major news story and I remember it being all over television after it happened.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/08 at 10:00 pm

BS, how can you consider something retro that is in progress?

I agree. I'm sorry but there is no way in hell that anything in the 2000's should ever have the word "retro" related to it right now. That's such bull. It makes me mad when people attach the word "retro" onto things that only happened a few years ago. ::) ::)

Written By: sonikuu on 06/25/08 at 1:30 am

Yeah, they were both fairly good years for me. 2000 was a pretty awesome year, because even though the economy began to come down a bit from the late '90s boom, it was still before 9/11 and Clinton was still in office, so it shared the carefree and prosperous feel of 1998 and 1999. 2001 was a great year up until the later part. I started High School in August and 9/11 was just a few weeks later, plus we moved that November so that was just kind of a bad time for me personally.

I also felt like they missed a few things in both years. For 2000, I felt like they should have talked about the Playstation 2 and it's huge launch and shortage that fall. That was a major news story and I remember it being all over television after it happened.

Oh yeah, I loved 2000 and it was actually one of the best years of my life

VH1 wound up missing tons of stuff.  Playstation 2 launch, Grand Theft Auto III (they covered Mortal Kombat and GTAIII was just as controversial), Shrek, etc.  I'm sure they're saving a lot of stuff for the sequel that we all know will come by 2010.

Watched 2002 and 2003 recently.  2002 was just average in my opinion.  Then again, 2002 was a pretty bad time in my life and, as a result, I don't have much attachment to a lot of things from that year, though there are some exceptions.  I'm attached to some of the movies and video games of 2002, but I hated most of the tv as that was when reality tv was pretty much at its peak.  I enjoyed 2003 (both in real life and on VH1) much more.  It is starting to get really recent though when they talk about American Idol (why they did they do Clay Aiken and not mention William Hung?), Avril Lavigne, and other stuff that is still widely popular.

Written By: sonikuu on 06/26/08 at 1:49 am

Watched 2004 and 2005 as well.  Hated it and I will not proceed to rant about it.

VH1, what the hell happened?  You had a good balance with 2000-2003.  You left some stuff out, obviously for a sequel, but you did a good job and had some variety.  So, what the hell happened with 2004 and 2005?  The balance for those years was HORRIBLE.  Lets start with movies.  Some of the defining movies of those years, such as Napoleon Dynamite, Brokeback Mountain, Passion of the Christ, etc. all went unmentioned.  Other huge movies of those years went unnoticed.  Movies begging to be talked about or made fun of (and possibly both) - Wedding Crashers, The Incredibles, Anchorman, War of the Worlds - all went unmentioned as well.  Movies also only got about two segments a year.  I remember watching I Love The 80s 3D last weekend and they had 3-5 segments for movies per show, not two.

As for music, what happened here?  VH1 covered only ONE music related thing in 2005 (OK Go's "Here It Goes Again" video) and two for 2004 (if you count the Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" as music, which it only vaguely is).  TV also got seriously screwed.  I may not care for some of the shows, but how could stuff like The Apprentice, Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc. not get covered.  I think the only tv related thing for 2005 was How To Catch A Predator and Fat Actress with Kirstie Alley (how the hell did this get on there?). 

While tv, movies, and music only got one or two segments per show, we got treated to useless crap like fauxhawks and Kirstie Alley's weight(how the hell is this more important than some of the stuff I mentioned), and way too much tabloid fodder (Runaway Bride).  I Love  2000 was great.  They covered a lot really important stuff while leaving some out for a sequel.  Movies got a grand total of four segments compared to a paltry two for 2005.  2004 and 2005 just left out way too much important stuff in favor of stuff that wasn't nearly as important to 00s pop culture as a whole.

Previous VH1 nostalgia shows always made sure to cover the important stuff first and leave some of the less important stuff for sequels.  This one has either taken the exact opposite approach or just poorly made.  The earlier years a good balance of all things, yet 2004 and 2005 just totally ruined it with too much unimportant celebrity crap and emphasis on less important stuff over the more important stuff.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/26/08 at 9:22 pm

While watching the 2005 episode it became obvious, it's way too soon for this. I actually had to remind myself that some of that stuff happened three years ago, because it seemed like it just happened yesterday.

My theory is that since 2004 and 2005 are really too early to get "nostalgic" over, they really just morphed into a lengthier and more expansive version of the "Best Week Ever" show which from what I have seen of it is about 90% tabloid crap anyway.

Written By: sonikuu on 06/27/08 at 2:46 am

Hmm...its weird, but after the utter disappointment of 2004/2005, I actually enjoyed 2006 and 2007.  Whereas 2005 only had one music segment in the whole thing, 2006 and 2007 both had four music segments each.  2005 only had two movie segments, 2006/2007 had three to four each and actually covered some of the most important movies (300, Borat, etc.).  There was also less tabloid fodder overall for 2006-2007.  It was far more balanced than 2004-2005, which sacrificed music/movie/tv segments in favor of tabloid trash.  I don't know what the hell happened with those two years, but they, especially 2005, completely lacked balance between the topics.

That said, I do agree that it really is too soon to do this.  VH1 should've waited at least five more years in my opinion.  Heck, 2006 was an amazing year for me personally, but I really can't be nostalgic for the pop culture of the year because it is way too recent.  I honestly don't know why VH1 chose to do this series now.  Actually I do know - money and impatience.

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/08 at 5:22 pm

I think it ought to be argued what VH1 knows about music in general anymore. It is becoming as reality-show driven as MTV.

Written By: kikoun on 06/28/08 at 9:06 pm

The wassup thing is SO late 90's ish ! Absolutely not a thing the 00's will be remembered for...

Written By: sonikuu on 06/29/08 at 1:46 am

I think it ought to be argued what VH1 knows about music in general anymore. It is becoming as reality-show driven as MTV.

I'd rather watch MTV than VH1.

I can't believe what I just said, but it really is true.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 06/30/08 at 6:13 pm

thank god they didn't ask andy dick to be on the show

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/30/08 at 6:56 pm

I'd rather watch MTV than VH1.

I can't believe what I just said, but it really is true.

I don't know...I still think I'd rather watch a washed-up 80's rock star, oozing the hairmetal stereotype, go after a bunch of dumb chicks than see a bunch of sixteen year old spoiled brats complain about why their Mercebez isn't the right color or why they didn't get some sheeshty rapper to play at their birthday party. To me, the latter does a far better job of destorying brain cells  >:(

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/01/08 at 4:04 pm

Watched 2004 and 2005 as well.  Hated it and I will not proceed to rant about it.

VH1, what the hell happened?  You had a good balance with 2000-2003.  You left some stuff out, obviously for a sequel, but you did a good job and had some variety.  So, what the hell happened with 2004 and 2005?  The balance for those years was HORRIBLE.  Lets start with movies.  Some of the defining movies of those years, such as Napoleon Dynamite, Brokeback Mountain, Passion of the Christ, etc. all went unmentioned.  Other huge movies of those years went unnoticed.  Movies begging to be talked about or made fun of (and possibly both) - Wedding Crashers, The Incredibles, Anchorman, War of the Worlds - all went unmentioned as well.  Movies also only got about two segments a year.  I remember watching I Love The 80s 3D last weekend and they had 3-5 segments for movies per show, not two.

As for music, what happened here?  VH1 covered only ONE music related thing in 2005 (OK Go's "Here It Goes Again" video) and two for 2004 (if you count the Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" as music, which it only vaguely is).  TV also got seriously screwed.  I may not care for some of the shows, but how could stuff like The Apprentice, Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc. not get covered.  I think the only tv related thing for 2005 was How To Catch A Predator and Fat Actress with Kirstie Alley (how the hell did this get on there?). 

While tv, movies, and music only got one or two segments per show, we got treated to useless crap like fauxhawks and Kirstie Alley's weight(how the hell is this more important than some of the stuff I mentioned), and way too much tabloid fodder (Runaway Bride).  I Love  2000 was great.  They covered a lot really important stuff while leaving some out for a sequel.  Movies got a grand total of four segments compared to a paltry two for 2005.  2004 and 2005 just left out way too much important stuff in favor of stuff that wasn't nearly as important to 00s pop culture as a whole.

Previous VH1 nostalgia shows always made sure to cover the important stuff first and leave some of the less important stuff for sequels.  This one has either taken the exact opposite approach or just poorly made.  The earlier years a good balance of all things, yet 2004 and 2005 just totally ruined it with too much unimportant celebrity crap and emphasis on less important stuff over the more important stuff.

I haven't actually got to watch the series, but I saw the list of topics under the Wikipedia article and was dissapointed on how they covered 2004 and 2005 by leaving out the movies and music, especially since those are two of my favorite years of this decade. Hopefully they'll make up for it in the "Part Deux" (or whatever they decide to call the second series). I probably won't want to watch this series now, except for maybe the humor (especially if Michael Ian Black is on there, he's hilarious in the 80's/90's series).

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 6:21 pm

Guys, save your retro nostalgia until you're 30.  I'm in love with being in love, too, but at this rate you're going to spend your 30's looking back at yourself looking back at yourself looking back...

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/01/08 at 6:24 pm

They should do "I love the 60's" before they do the 00's.

The 2000's sucked!

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 7:30 pm

They should do "I love the 60's" before they do the 00's.

The 2000's sucked!

They did do a 60s, didn't they?  Tasteless and stupid comments about a disrobed Barbie and Ken by nobody comics does not good nostalgia make, IMO...

There's a new Bill Murray movie with a lackluster opening week box office in this thread somewhere.  Besides as someone already pointed out, doublenuts ain't over till the fat lady sings...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 7:53 pm

Guys, save your retro nostalgia until you're 30.  I'm in love with being in love, too, but at this rate you're going to spend your 30's looking back at yourself looking back at yourself looking back...

Well, people can't help how they feel or when they feel it. I had mild nostalgia as early as 12 (changes in my family and personal life kinda put more of a barrier between what came before it), yet I know some people aren't really that way until middle age, if at all. Depends on the person, ya know. ;)

I see what you're saying though, and I've actually considered that too. Like by the time I'm an old man, it'll be this mess of hundreds of layers of nostalgia piling on top of each other. It's already that way now in alot of ways, to be honest, lol.

For example, one Summer in 1998 my parents and I took a drive up to the town we used to live in, just to look around, and we went back to my first Elementary school where I went in the late '80s. By then it was turned into something else, but the exterior looked identical to how I remembered it. It was wild and really cool walking around 'cause all the little kid memories of ten years earlier came right back to me.

Well I guess what you're saying could be kinda true, like if I went back there today, I'd remember the last time I was there...and of course I'd miss my original time going to school there even MORE. ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 8:04 pm

Well, people can't help how they feel or when they feel it...but I see what you're saying. I've actually considered that too, like by the time I'm an old man, it'll be this mess of hundreds of layers of nostalgia piling on top of each other. It's already that way now in alot of ways, to be honest, lol.

Sure.  Nostalgia ain't supposed to hit until you're fat, lazy and unemployed laying around on the couch watching The No Spin Zone and Spongebob in your underwear with a week of beard on your face while eating ramen noodels waiting for your last unemployment check after your girlfriend left you and you decide to go online to check the lyrics of a song that you can't get out of your head...

>BAM!!!<...that's when it hits you...

For example, there was this private Elementary school where I went for three years (from 1988 to '90, it was my first one). Well, one Summer in the late '90s my parents and I took a drive up to that town just to look around, and we went back to the school. By then it was turned into something else, but the exterior looked identical to how I remembered it. It was wild and really cool walking around 'cause all the little kid memories of ten years earlier came right back to me.

Well I guess what you're saying could be kinda true, like if I went back there today, I'd remember the last time I was there...and of course I'd miss my original time going to school there even MORE. ;D

That's the feeling of remembering something you'd forgotton a long time ago coming home to roost.  It makes you happy and sad at the same time.  It's damn eerie...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 8:10 pm

Sure.  Nostalgia ain't supposed to hit until you're fat, lazy and unemployed laying around on the couch watching The No Spin Zone and Spongebob in your underwear with a week of beard on your face while eating ramen noodels waiting for your last unemployment check after your girlfriend left you and you decide to go online to check the lyrics of a song that you can't get out of your head...

>BAM!!!<...that's when it hits you...

;D

That's the feeling of remembering something you'd forgotton a long time ago coming home to roost.  It makes you happy and sad at the same time.  It's damn eerie...

So true, man. :) I think it's sad because you realize you don't have it in your life anymore, but it makes you happy because you remember more details of when it was.

Like with my school, I almost got this feeling that maybe just by walking around the campus (where we used to take recess and stuff) I could magically be transported back to 10 years ago. Since the last time I was there had been when I actually was enrolled, it almost DID feel time travelling, especially since everything looked the same!

Kinda reminds me of the movie Somewhere in Time. ;)

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 8:37 pm

;D

So true, man. :) I think it's sad because you realize you don't have it in your life anymore, but it makes you happy because you remember more details of when it was.

The feeling is fleeting.  It's there and it vanishes.  For me, anyway.  People I once knew who are now gone.  Friends I never stayed in touch with, family who have died... 

Like with my school, I almost got this feeling that maybe just by walking around the campus (where we used to take recess and stuff) I could magically be transported back to 10 years ago. Since the last time I was there had been when I actually was enrolled, it almost DID feel time travelling, especially since everything looked the same!

Kinda reminds me of the movie Somewhere in Time. ;)

A friend and I shoot hoops on the weekends...once in awhile.  The only outside courts in town are at the schools we once attended.  Of course, while my buddy is stuffing all my shots and beating me mercilessly (he's 6 ft. tall) we're prone to talk some sh*t about the old days.  Stupid fun...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/08 at 8:38 pm

Nostalgia is something that can hit you at any time. I was around 16 or 17 when I first started to feel some nostalgia for some personal things that happened 7-10 years earlier. Even now, I find myself getting slightly nostalgic for things that happened in like 2001 and even 2002.

There are really two types of nostalgia. There's the nostalgia for the music and pop culture of an era, which I agree is not really something that comes along until your older or at least until 15 or more years have passed. There is also nostalgia on a personal level that can come on at any time. Say your a 14 year old kid that has to move around alot. It wouldn't be all that unusual to look back at when you were maybe 6 or 7 and had a more stable life.

Sometimes, I find myself getting nostalgic over the silliest things. I mean, places like where I used to live at as a kid or the old school I used to go to are pretty typical, but sometimes I even get nostalgic over stores that we used to go to when I was a little kid that have closed down. ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 8:57 pm

The feeling is fleeting.  It's there and it vanishes.  For me, anyway.  People I once knew who are now gone.  Friends I never satayed in touch with, family who have died... 

A friend and I shoot hoops on the weekends...once in awhile.  The only outside courts in town are at the schools we once attended.  Of course, while my buddy is stuffing all my shots and beating me mercilessly (he's 6 ft. tall) we're prone to talk some sh*t about the old days.  Stupid fun...

Ah, that's cool. I'm a lousy basketball player (or most sports to be honest, lol) but that sounds like it would be cool and fun to do. It must feel really nostalgic for you guys to literally be in the same spot you were twenty years ago. Whenever I pass my old high school I feel that way, and I only graduated 8 years ago. I wish I could walk around to check everything out, but even if I look youngish for my age I wouldn't risk getting busted, lol.

There are really two types of nostalgia. There's the nostalgia for the music and pop culture of an era, which I agree is not really something that comes along until your older or at least until 15 or more years have passed. There is also nostalgia on a personal level that can come on at any time. Say your a 14 year old kid that has to move around alot. It wouldn't be all that unusual to look back at when you were maybe 6 or 7 and had a more stable life.

Sometimes, I find myself getting nostalgic over the silliest things. I mean, places like where I used to live at as a kid or the old school I used to go to are pretty typical, but sometimes I even get nostalgic over stores that we used to go to when I was a little kid that have closed down. ;D

I totally agree, like usual. ;) I'd just say whenever something changes in your life, that's when you miss what came before it 'cause it makes those times feel further away. Like with my parents' separation for a couple years, or me moving around alot, that's why I felt it little by my late childhood/early teens.

However the second nostalgia has been hitting me in the last few years, so I do understand how older people feel too. It's one thing to be 14 and be like "I heard this song when I was six" or "Yeah I did that in Kindergarden" but it's not very long ago either. Yet nowadays I'm at the age where I have memories that literally are like another generation where it feels like a dream, and that is kinda scary.

Yeah, I know what you mean when stores or restaurants or any place closes down. You can miss those at any age too, especially since I'm sure lots of little kids (myself included) had cool times in there - be it pizza places, video arcades or wherever your parents might even go.

There was this yogurt store that my dad used to take me (and sometimes my school friends) to quite a bit, whenever we went to this one shopping center in town. There were several video game machines inside, including a Q-Bert one. In fact, on that same trip in '98 back to our old town we went to that supermarket, and something else was there. Of course I didn't expect the videogames to still be there or for it to look the same, but I was really sad that the entire store was gone 'cause it was almost like my memories died with it.

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 8:57 pm

Nostalgia is something that can hit you at any time. I was around 16 or 17 when I first started to feel some nostalgia for some personal things that happened 7-10 years earlier. Even now, I find myself getting slightly nostalgic for things that happened in like 2001 and even 2002.

It's gotta be the internet and big media culture for youn'uns to suffer premature midlife crisis.  When my posse and I were 16-17 we could not wait to kiss it all goodbye!  We went on never looking back.  We were in a big rush to grow-up and I took it to extremes.  The pop culture?  Fug it.  Aren't kids, today, born full grown and dressed for success..?    

And so it went for almost 20 years.  It's only in places like this where someone could gush about the music, toob, flicks, fashion and other things from that era that would've embarrassed them to literal death ten years ago...

It''s gotta be the 'net...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 9:12 pm

^ I've considered that too. Lots of people seem to feel nostalgic earlier now (my parents didn't feel it until their 30s or even 40s...and they're STILL not as old school as me!). ;D

I guess the more stuff you have in your childhood (experiences, knowledge or pop culture awareness) it stands to reason you'll miss it earlier. The internet reminds us of things easier probably, or introduces us to stuff.

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 9:14 pm

Ah, that's cool. I'm a lousy basketball player (or most sports to be honest, lol) but that sounds like it would be cool and fun to do. It must feel really nostalgic for you guys to literally be in the same spot you were twenty years ago. Whenever I pass my old high school I feel that way, and I only graduated 8 years ago. I wish I could walk around to check everything out, but even if I look youngish for my age I wouldn't risk getting busted, lol.

Nah.  We don't feel that feeling anymore, there on the court.  We've been playing hoops there for so long.  It's mostly me complaining about the tight-ass company I work for and the ineffective union and him complaining about his ex-wife and the lousy job the contractor did on his new sun deck...

In the day we used to play hoops on the weekends and during the summer with a bunch of Mexican guys that hung around there.  I remember one guy's name was "Chewie".  They'd yell, "AY!  CHEWIE..!  AY CHEWIE PASS ME THE BALL!"  We still laugh about it...

Yeah, don't be caught hanging out around schools.  You'll get cuffed 'n stuffed...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/08 at 9:17 pm

^ That's true, when you do it enough, it probably isn't anything special anymore.

P.S. When I was 20, about a year and a half after I graduated, I did cut across a teeny part of campus (after it closed), but that's our little secret.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/08 at 9:30 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean when stores or restaurants or any place closes down. You can miss those at any age too, especially since I'm sure lots of little kids (myself included) had cool times in there - be it pizza places, video arcades or wherever your parents might even go.

There was this yogurt store that my dad used to take me (and sometimes my school friends) to quite a bit, whenever we went to this one shopping center in town. There were several video game machines inside, including a Q-Bert one. In fact, on that same trip in '98 back to our old town we went to that supermarket, and something else was there. Of course I didn't expect the videogames to still be there or for it to look the same, but I was really sad that the entire store was gone 'cause it was almost like my memories died with it.

There was a K-Mart here that opened in the early '80s and closed in the early '90s that my parents shopped at all the time that I occasionally get nostalgic for when I drive by the old building. It was converted over to a sporting goods store a few ago, and I went in there to look around for the first time in 15 years, and surprisingly alot of things were unchanged.

There are still some of the old K-Mart signs from 20 years ago still up at various places around the store, and they even kept the old rusted K-Mart buggies and used them. It was a pretty neat trip. :)

It's gotta be the internet and big media culture for youn'uns to suffer premature midlife crisis.  When my posse and I were 16-17 we could not wait to kiss it all goodbye!  We went on never looking back.  We were in a big rush to grow-up and I took it to extremes.  The pop culture?  Fug it.  Aren't kids, today, born full grown and dressed for success..?    

And so it went for almost 20 years.  It's only in places like this where someone could gush about the music, toob, flicks, fashion and other things from that era that would've embarrassed them to literal death ten years ago...

I think your right about that. The internet probably does play at least a slight role in greater numbers of nostalgia among younger people.

Remember, '80s nostalgia got its earliest start over the 'net in the mid '90s when those "You know your an '80s child if..." lists starting spreading around and the '80s had barely been over for 5 years. ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 9:43 pm

The internet probably does play at least a slight role in greater numbers of nostalgia among younger people.

I'm not so sure.  Look at YouTube.  Here's Dr. Davester's theory:  The faster you're pushed to grow-up, the more you're going to feel you missed.  The more you feel you missed the greater the longing to own a portion of it, in a sense.  This goes back to the generation gap thing which I shall not go into here... 

Remember, '80s nostalgia got its earliest start over the 'net in the mid '90s when those "You know your an '80s child if..." lists starting spreading around and the '80s had barely been over for 5 years. ;D

Those "80s child" things were clogging my inbox...

Written By: tv on 07/03/08 at 10:33 am

You sound like my father he was in his late teens...I can't wait to get out of High School because its like a prison. No, Kids are not full grown and dressed for success...they have to grow up like everybody else. Evey passing generation thinks that..that the Generation after them has it easier than their Generation had it.

I'm not embarassed of music 10 years ago because the music in 1998 is better than the music of 2008. The TV shows in 1998 were better than the TV shows now. As for the fashion ah its a little better now than it was 10 years ago.

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 07/03/08 at 12:34 pm

i thought the 70's were "retro?"

Written By: Midas on 07/03/08 at 2:51 pm

They'll probably have I Love The Millennium: Part II out before too long.  :D

I watched a few episodes of it.  I don't care if it's retro or not; the commentary is entertaining.

Written By: Paul on 07/03/08 at 2:57 pm

Along the same lines, the BBC transmitted a vast series of 'I Love...' programmes just before 2000 hit us...

...and the last in the series (which was broadcast exactly one week before the 20th century departed us forever) was entitled 'I Love 1999', which was stretching the point somewhat...

Anyway, I think last week was pretty 'retro'...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/03/08 at 8:37 pm

They'll probably have I Love The Millennium: Part II out before too long.  :D

I watched a few episodes of it.  I don't care if it's retro or not; the commentary is entertaining.

I liked it as well, especially the early 2000-2002 episodes. They reminded me of alot of things from the early '00s I had forgotten about.

Yeah, i'm sure they will do episodes for 2008 and 2009 in a few years. In addition, i'm sure you can expect to see "I Love The '10s" by 2014. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/03/08 at 11:01 pm

In addition, i'm sure you can expect to see "I Love The '10s" by 2014. ;D

If VH1 is still around and/or the world hasn't blown up by then  :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/04/08 at 10:26 am

If VH1 is still around and/or the world hasn't blown up by then  :D

The world would probably have to blow up first, because it doesn't look like VH1, or MTV for that matter, is going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/04/08 at 11:28 am

The world would probably have to blow up first, because it doesn't look like VH1, or MTV for that matter, is going anywhere anytime soon. ;)

Maybe Viacom will go bankrupt...hey, a man can dream can't he?  ::)

Written By: Zeb on 07/14/08 at 10:56 am

"I Love the 70s and 80s" were great be't that cause they came on at just the right time when both those decades were retro and the commentators had actually been children/teens during those decades.  I thought that "I Love the 90s" was cool, but they should have waited until the end of this decade to produce it. I watched "I Love the New Millennium" until 2003 because after that year all the topics they discussed are still around and fresh in everyones mind. Isn't that the complete opposite of retro?!

Written By: Bobby on 07/14/08 at 5:34 pm

Good call!

Karma worthy post. :)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/15/08 at 6:02 pm

;D  I love it!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/15/08 at 6:50 pm

Again, no one can help when they feel things, because everyone's situation is different.

You can be a teenager and have nostalgia early on, for your little kid years.

For some people it might be the reverse. Heck, I remember Sting saying once (when asked about reforming The Police - before they actually did it!), that he wasn't too interested because "I'm not really much of a nostalgic person".

I'm just trying to dispel this myth that everyone over a certain age feels X way, or those under it automatically feel another.

Come on guys, it all depends on the person. :)

Written By: Davester on 07/15/08 at 10:58 pm

;D  I love it!

Cool..! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/08 at 2:51 am

I'm a retrosexual!
8)

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/24/08 at 3:45 pm

It takes the human senses and the human brain a few fractions of a second to process information coming in from the environment, so everything's retro by the time a human being is aware of it.

But who ever said VH1 is run by humans?

;D

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/24/08 at 9:20 pm

Please I'm just coming to terms with the 80s being retro....

Written By: Dude111 on 10/25/08 at 10:39 pm

There will be NOTHING retro about 2000-2009 (It is all garbage (Compared to the 80s))

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/08 at 4:54 pm

Please I'm just coming to terms with the 80s being retro....

LMAO me too!  ;) Since it was my childhood and the world I was born into, it's actually even harder for me to accept that. I was born in 1981 right when lots of things were changing or just getting popular (i.e. MTV, videogames, malls, lots of conveinences), so I had lots of time to get sentimentally attached to it.

The best way I can describe it is that the '80s seemed to have a "semi presence" for a long time, even if they weren't as cool during the 90s. Like people still went to arcades and listened to tapes, and there was a similar sense of suburban innocent entertainment. They didn't start feeling like a full generation away until the early decade, like 2002. Up until then it was just old-school, but still pretty recent.

Also people's ages are starting to really get weird and change from what I knew as a little kid, and that can be unsettling too.

Written By: Davester on 10/28/08 at 10:38 pm

The marketing machine went full-tilt in the 80s.  You had cartoons based on toys, cereal based on video games, movies based on cartoons based on toys, music based on video games &etc.  It's nearly impossible to forget stuff like that.  Corporations went from marketing to kids via their parents to marketing to kids directly - "They're talking to me.?!"... ???

It's nothing new anymore...

Namco, Atari, Mattel, NBC, Paramount, GE, Kellogg's own your ass, brother.  It's kind of sickening when you think about it...

When you wax nostalgic, Marty, it's important to say it with a *wink*...

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/29/08 at 4:39 pm

There will be NOTHING retro about 2000-2009 (It is all garbage (Compared to the 80s))

I totally agree, everything about the 00s sucked major ass! Worst...Decade...Ever, as in the words of Comic Book Guy.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/29/08 at 5:31 pm

Everything after the 90's sucked! I hope the 2010's are better.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/30/08 at 3:00 am

Everything after the 90's sucked! I hope the 2010's are better.

I'm with you on that. 2000 is the last year that I feel nostalgic about, except for maybe 2004 and 2005, and even those years I don't feel that nostalgic about like I do about the 80's and 90's, more like a sigh of relief after going through bad years. It could also be because I'm getting older, but I think it has more to do with the 00's being a rough decade with George W. Bush and the post-9/11 world. Thank God there is only a year and 3 months left of this decade, but I don't think things are going to get better immediately in 2010. Not to sound pessimistic, but more like realistic, it's going to take a while to fix everything thats been damaged by Bush. I think it's safe to say that Barrack Obama will be elected on Tuesday, and he will turn things around in the future for the better.

Written By: tv on 10/30/08 at 3:46 pm

I totally agree, everything about the 00s sucked major ass! Worst...Decade...Ever, as in the words of Comic Book Guy.
Some of the 00's stuff sucked like reality TV, the ringtone rap, and the excess of the decade. I thought some of the music from 2001-mid 2005 was decent. The late 00's music sucks though.

Its good to see rap music dominance go away even if "T.I. and "Lil Wayne" were domninant on the charts this year. Its not that I hate rap but its too much about materialism nowdays. 2008 was kind of the year different variations of pop became kind of dominant on the US charts like Katy Perry, Coldplay, Leona Lewis, amd Jordin Sparks. Of course "Rihanna" is always on the Top 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the past 3 years.

I want some kind of grunge era there's no rock music anymore which is sad. Its funny compained in the 90's(well 1992 to 1996) how music was "dark" than we go to Puffy in 1997, Britney in 1999 and than 50 Cent in 2003 where the music is almost too glorified and happy. liiked how West Coast Rap could be hard edged and still chart good(example: It Was A Good Day by Ice Cube: 1992.)

Anyway, about the 00's being retro 2002 was probably thew last old school year Ja Rule and Ashanti were on top of the Billboard Charts, A/C pop was dominant too with Michelle Branch, and Vanessa Carlton, add in the Jay-Z and Nas fued too.  Thats was before 50 Cent came out anyway and ended Ja Rule's career.  I mean how many hits is Ja Rule making these days anyway? 2002 was probably that "Nu Metal" was popular anyway too. I remember when a band like "Linkin Park" was popular. A band like "System Of A Down" was pretty popular in those days too.

Anyway  I think once the music scene once the music scene changes in 2012 and 2013 I think mid 2005 might be seen as old school with 50 Cent being dominant, Mariah Carey and Green Day comebacks, and a band like "The Killers" I don't think "Soulja Boy" would/will be considered old school in 2013.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/03/08 at 8:00 pm

2008 isn't bad I've been fairly satisfied with music this year actually especially since late spring or so, I know a lot of stuff though these days more than most people and I like pop music the most. You've had Katy Perry, Leona Lewis, Coldplay, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Pink, Christina Aguilera, Jazmine Sullivan, Estelle, Jordin Sparks, Natasha Bedingfield, Rihanna, MIA seeing mainstream success, Jennifer Hudson to name some good stuff. I like the pop stuff but a lot of people don't and I respect their opinion as long as they respect mine. There's more important issues in this world these days than whining about pop culture.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/11/08 at 4:55 pm

Pretro! I love that word!

Check for new replies or respond here...