inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people care MTV doesn't show music?

Written By: Bob on 06/20/08 at 6:04 pm

When you can just watch any video you want, from and at any time, on YouTube?

Subject: Re: Why do people care MTV doesn't show music?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/08 at 6:06 pm

When you can just watch any video you want, from and at any time, on YouTube?
...but the computer has to be switched on first.

Written By: mooshy on 06/20/08 at 6:57 pm

MTV isn't relevant to pop culture anymore.  They can't control what kind of music is "cool" these days since people have the Internet and can do their own thing.  You don't have to like it simply because it's the only thing on MTV now.

They know this, and they are struggling with it.  That's why their show lineup has almost entirely moved away from music.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 7:07 pm

Yeah, the OP makes a good point actually. I still see lots of comments about how "MTV is crap, they don't play music anymore, it's just reality TV, etc". Even though I agree with them, it's still like okay we've heard this for like 10 years already, lol.

Yeah, with youtube there's really no need for it anymore. I guess it's still cool to see it on a TV set, but by comparison it's no big deal.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/08 at 7:13 pm

You Tube is great, but MTV used to have well produced shows by their newstaff (Kurt Loder, Tabitha Soren, etc.) which made MTV worth watching when they didn't air videos, without killing off brain cells. They could do this now, but they've decided to officially cater to tweens. It's pretty much a more shocking version of today's Disney Channel. It's scary and sad - all in one!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 7:20 pm

You Tube is great, but MTV used to have well produced shows by their newstaff (Kurt Loder, Tabitha Soren, etc.) which made MTV worth watching when they didn't air videos, without killing off brain cells. They could do this now, but they've decided to officially cater to tweens. It's pretty much a more shocking version of today's Disney Channel. It's scary and sad - all in one!

OMG totally yeah. :) There's something I like about deejays on the radio (either locally or nationally known guys like Casey Kasem) or tv show hosts, and you don't get that with YouTube. I guess it's like how the hosts of a party aren't the main reason for going, it's still not the same without them, lol. I liked Loder too, he was such a symbol of MTV in the early-mid '90s.

I guess you could say MTV and VH1 were perfect in the '90s that they were mixing it up a bit (i.e. shows like Beavis and Butthead), but it still hang onto its musical roots too. Even in the early 2000s, I'd see video countdowns on VH1 and stuff. You'd never see that now, 'cause it's basically total celebreality.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/20/08 at 7:27 pm

OMG totally yeah. :) There's something I like about deejays on the radio (either locally or nationally known guys like Casey Kasem) or tv show hosts, and you don't get that with YouTube. I guess it's like how the hosts of a party aren't the main reason for going, it's still not the same without them, lol. I liked Loder too, he was such a symbol of MTV in the early-mid '90s.

I guess you could say MTV and VH1 were perfect in the '90s that they were mixing it up a bit (i.e. shows like Beavis and Butthead), but it still hang onto its musical roots too. Even in the early 2000s, I'd see video countdowns on VH1 and stuff. You'd never see that now, 'cause it's basically total celebreality.

And, even famous DeeJay's are no longer a big thing. People don't mention them today like they used to.

That's very true!! I mean, MTV and VH1 may have very well had their best years in the '90s just because they had entertaining stuff, but it wasn't demeaning to your intelligence. And, yeah, the early 2000's still had a sliver of hope, but now it really has gone down hill.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/08 at 7:33 pm

And, even famous DeeJay's are no longer a big thing. People don't mention them today like they used to.

That's very true!! I mean, MTV and VH1 may have very well had their best years in the '90s just because they had entertaining stuff, but it wasn't demeaning to your intelligence. And, yeah, the early 2000's still had a sliver of hope, but now it really has gone down hill.

That's sad too. I mean something about Kasem's voice just makes the songs sound so interesting and it made you all excited to hear it. Same with local deejays, like if they makes little comments on the song or something.

Oh yeah, I just totally LOVED VH1 around 1991 to '93, it had a really similar feeling to it and I wish I still had more of it on tape, lol. They totally lost it when they even dumped the countdown shows and stuff and did Flava Flav and I Love New York 2-3 years ago. The ONLY ties they have to the past are the "I Love (blank)" shows, and even those are wearing themselves out.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/20/08 at 7:59 pm

Video is to radio star as youtube is to veejays  :(

Written By: whistledog on 06/20/08 at 9:07 pm

I've never seen MTV, so I don't really care either way ;D

Music Channels we have in Canada still show music videos regularly, so I can always get my music video fix both of past and present ones, but I usually just watch 'em online, that way I can watch what videos I want, when I want

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/21/08 at 2:43 am

Yeah, the OP makes a good point actually. I still see lots of comments about how "MTV is crap, they don't play music anymore, it's just reality TV, etc". Even though I agree with them, it's still like okay we've heard this for like 10 years already, lol.

Yeah, with youtube there's really no need for it anymore. I guess it's still cool to see it on a TV set, but by comparison it's no big deal.

Yeah, MTV doesn't really have any relevance when it comes to music videos anymore in the "youtube era". Being able to watch whatever you want has really made it and Vh1 both sort of obsolete. But, to be fair though, MTV did start to suck several years before anyone even knew what youtube was.

Written By: tv on 06/21/08 at 10:35 am

Well because "MTV" is supposed to stand for "Music Television", now they should just call it "TTV"(Teen-Television) or "RTV"(Reality Television.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/08 at 12:47 pm

Actually...I don't care because pop music today is crap.  MTV would have to time travel back to 1983 in order for me to like it again.  Come to think of it, so would I!

Of course, guys who were my age now back in 1983 were saying: "Pop music today is crap!"
8)

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 06/21/08 at 12:57 pm

I partly agree MaxwellSmart, they were playing vintage music videos on MTV over here this am at the gym, some seriously good stuff on there but much todays music is, as u say. Coldplay are the worst offenders, and in particular chris martins whiney voice is the worst EVER  >:(

Written By: woops on 06/21/08 at 8:49 pm

There's a new show on Moronic TV that's hosted by Pete Wentz that plays some videos in their entirity...

Only watched the first two episodes for a very few artists since I can't stand current rap, emo, and most pop...  8-P

Written By: Bob on 06/21/08 at 9:17 pm

babooshka i agree coldplay are so overrated. ::O

Check for new replies or respond here...