inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the 00s connected to the George Bush presidency?

Written By: Bob on 06/21/08 at 9:12 pm

Someone said here they'd end in 09, when we got Obama for the president. i don't think the 00s have much to do with Bush, i guess politically they do but the culture does not seem in any way connected. the culture of the 00s is rooted in late 90s culture which was under clinton, and with only six months of bush left (YES!) and it being as 00s as ever i can't see the culture ending anytime too soon.

Subject: Re: Is the 00s connected to the George Bush presidency?

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 9:32 pm

The materialism of the decade is definitely connected to Bush. If you think about it, 80s greed= Reagan, 00s materialism=Bush. Both Republican presidents. The 00s culture seems like it could drag on forever but by 2010 it should be all but dead.

The late 90s culture was a prelude, kind of like how 70s disco was a prelude to 80s greed.

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 9:36 pm

Actually if I add one more thing, the reason it seems that 00s culture is dragging on is because we're actually nearing the point now that we were in 1990, waiting for something new on the horizon, thank god. A big shift isn't too far off.

Written By: greenjello74 on 06/21/08 at 9:39 pm

nope 00 is his IQ ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/21/08 at 10:37 pm

nope 00 is his IQ ;D

;D

Well, I wouldn't say Bush is directly connected to the pop culture of this decade, but he will always be at least somewhat connected to the '00s. Just like Reagan with the '80s, and Clinton with the '90s.

Written By: Gardenofeden68 on 06/21/08 at 10:42 pm

Yeah, I'd say very much so, especially in the future. Just like Reagan with the 80s (same span of years yada1'-yada9'), Clinton in the 90s, Nixon in the early 70s, Kennedy in the early 60s, Eisenhower in the 50s, etc. The 00s are going to be very much associated with the fear of terrorism and middle eastern conflicts, like iraq and such and 9/11. Otherwise, we have some technology. Unfortunately, we have to face the fact this will be known as a rather undesirable decade to be in, considering the conflicts we've had with other nations and the ones we've had here with ourselves and with our govt., and of course an increase in materialistic ways of life. This may or may not be a conservative decade because of the extreeme opposition.

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 11:26 pm

;D

Well, I wouldn't say Bush is directly connected to the pop culture of this decade, but he will always be at least somewhat connected to the '00s. Just like Reagan with the '80s, and Clinton with the '90s.

Well, supply side economics, also known as "Reaganomics" ;D did create a boom for business in the 80s, so much of pop culture was more business minded as a result, in the case of Reagan, and maybe Bush as well, the politics influenced the culture, because pop culture serves as nothing more than a time capsule of the era.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/08 at 11:30 pm

nope 00 is his IQ ;D

Man, that's way too high for him :D

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 11:34 pm

Yeah, I'd say very much so, especially in the future. Just like Reagan with the 80s (same span of years yada1'-yada9'), Clinton in the 90s, Nixon in the early 70s, Kennedy in the early 60s, Eisenhower in the 50s, etc. The 00s are going to be very much associated with the fear of terrorism and middle eastern conflicts, like iraq and such and 9/11. Otherwise, we have some technology. Unfortunately, we have to face the fact this will be known as a rather undesirable decade to be in, considering the conflicts we've had with other nations and the ones we've had here with ourselves and with our govt., and of course an increase in materialistic ways of life. This may or may not be a conservative decade because of the extreeme opposition.

Yeah the 2000s totally suck. Thats kind of why I'm glad Vh1 is already starting to write them off. 

Interesting point about whether the decade is really uniformly conservative or not. I think you can't really consider the 2000s to be conservative like the 80s because of the amount of opposition the Bush presidency has got, and also we've had a Democratic congress for the last year and a half. However I think at least 2002 and 2003 were very conservative. Michael Moore's Farenheight 9/11 changed things though. That movie, whether anyone would like to admit it or not, did fuel the fire of Bush hate. Thankfully its been all downhill since then. ::)

Written By: guest on 06/21/08 at 11:45 pm

Someone said here they'd end in 09, when we got Obama for the president. i don't think the 00s have much to do with Bush, i guess politically they do but the culture does not seem in any way connected. the culture of the 00s is rooted in late 90s culture which was under clinton, and with only six months of bush left (YES!) and it being as 00s as ever i can't see the culture ending anytime too soon.

Actually to make one last point, what I meant by that was that elections can sort of cement the feeling of the decade. Once Clinton was in office in 93' it seemed that a certain more liberal feeling that the decade gave off was finally realized in full with a more liberal President. Pop culture became a little more liberal as a result. A good argument some journalists make regarding recent movies as Knocked Up and Juno is that they have a decidedly pro-life message, and without stepping on anyone's personal beliefs, according to the writer's argument, its of little surprise in the light that we've had 8 years of conservative Republican rule. Just food for thought. ;D

With the case of Clinton he sort of solidified the more liberal 90s. Reagan was the "wall street" 80s which stretched the whole decade, whereas Bush 1 was President during an interesting transition period from 89-93'. I think because Bush 1 wasn't Reagan, and the economy not being nearly as good, was an important role in the changing feel of the times as we entered the 90s, which ultimately broke through with "Nevermind" in 91'. Imagine if Obama was elected in 08', there would be an even quicker transition from a very conservative President, to the most liberal (I don't mean that in a bad way of course) President we've had in decades. Its interesting to think what would happen to pop culture then, although I could be over exaggerating its influence. I think politics are at least partly intertwines with culture.

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 06/22/08 at 1:42 pm

What makes everyone so sure Obama will Win?

McCain has just as good of a chance.

Both are assholes, BTW

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/22/08 at 2:25 pm

nope 00 is his IQ ;D

Too funny. Karma to you.

Cat

Written By: Bob on 06/22/08 at 5:56 pm

Too funny. Karma to you.

Cat

;D

Written By: thewolrab on 06/22/08 at 9:06 pm

Depends who gets elected, but I guess I'd have to say yes, at least for us Americans anyway. Sadly... the '00s were supposed to be the greatest decade of all time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/08 at 1:28 am

nope 00 is his IQ ;D

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/hat.gif

I heard Bush's is 160, but I am skeptical.  Was Dan Quayle administering the test?

Like Reagan he'll get all the credit for all the good things, while BJ Clinton and Obama (I hope) will get blamed for all the bad things.  Either way, yeah, he's the '00s president the way Reagan was the '80s president.  BJ stands for Billy-Jeff (William Jefferson) Clinton. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/08 at 11:33 am

I heard Bush's is 160, but I am skeptical.  Was Dan Quayle administering the test?

Too funny-karma to you, too.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...