inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the world going to hell?

Written By: guest on 06/24/08 at 6:46 pm

with oil prices, music sucking, all the war, is the world going to hell?

Subject: Re: Is the world going to hell?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/24/08 at 7:09 pm

My aren't we just a freakin ray of sunshine. :P

Written By: whistledog on 06/24/08 at 7:35 pm

I don't know about the world, but I'm going to poop my pants if I don't get to the bathroom fast

Written By: Red Ant on 06/24/08 at 7:59 pm

with oil prices, music sucking, all the war, is the world going to hell?

Do you mean sucking like Soulja Boy kinda suck, or epic, world-ending, planet killing, global annihilation, extinction level suckage such as this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns510rO-2og

If the world hasn't gone directly to hell after that sheesh was made, it won't ever.

Ant

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/24/08 at 10:03 pm

no...but this thread is.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/08 at 10:10 pm

No. Well, not yet anyway.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/24/08 at 10:15 pm

wtf? This thread sucks.  ::)

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/25/08 at 6:24 am

There has always been sheeshty music...remember disco? Remember the late 80's? Things are actually better now because of the lack of a money incentive thanks to filesharing and the stupidity and greed of major labels. In terms of war...gee, where have I heard this before? YES THE WAR IN IRAQ IS POINTLESS. YES IT'S WASTING MONEY. YES GEORGE BUSH AND HIS IGNORANT PARTY HAVE GIVEN US A BAD NAME. But then there was Vietnam, there was Nixon, there was stagflation. WE'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE, AND WE ALWAYS COME OUT A MORE PROSPEROUS COUNTRY. Just look at the country in the 80's and 90's - they were probably the best two decades of its existance. And in terms of oil prices...well, I have one positive to say about that - whenever I put gasoline in my car, it doubles my car's value  ;D.

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/08 at 8:07 am

There has always been crappy music...remember disco?

You weren't even around for Disco, so your opinion is biased

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/25/08 at 8:08 am

AND furthermore....who said disco sucks anyway? Well...at least I like it. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/25/08 at 10:40 am

Again with this? Do you honestly have nothing better to do than to hunt down my posts and scrutinize me because I wasn't around during a certain decade? You weren't even born until the late 70's (and therefore wouldn't even be old enough to grasp pop culture until probably the very late 80's) so I wouldn't bring this up about DISCO. Seriously, who gives two sheeshs when I was born? This is a nostalgia site, and I was brought here because I'm nostalgiac for the 90's and am really interested in the 70's and 80's...is this not what this site is meant for? Not to mention it's like you're using my age as a scapegoat ONLY ON THE TOPICS YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME ON (remember the Beach Boys thread?) And it's not like there aren't even younger members here saying things that are BEYONG BIASED and border the absolutely ridiculous (like that '93er who shall remain nameless). Stop being such a NOSTALGIA PURIST and let me dislike disco if I want to, I've heard more than enough of it to know that it's NOT FOR ME. Oh, and just one more thing...do me a favor - STOP BRINGING UP MY AGE  >:( Thank you  ;)

AND furthermore....who said disco sucks anyway? Well...at least I like it. ;D

I'm sorry, I don't. Is this a problem with you as well?  ???

Written By: Tia on 06/25/08 at 10:54 am

ah, i used to love being sensitive about being young.  :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/25/08 at 3:16 pm

The topic aside, I used to get that age bias too (and even today in a smaller extent from middle-aged and older people...especially because I look youngish for my age). You have NO IDEA how many times someone swore I was "too young" to really know about the '80s being born in 1981 (especially since alot of the songs I like are from the earlier part of the decade) or that people automatically assumed I didn't know/didn't like an era just because I wasn't around then.

I have noticed that if people say they dislike something from "before their time", the older generations seem to jump on that fact alone. No disrespect, but that p*sses me off whether or not it relates to me personally, just because I've been there.

For example, I don't like alot of seventies music, especially traditional classic rock like Zeppelin, but it's merely because it doesn't fit my tastes. Not because I "wasnt there for it" (because I do like the '60s and early '70s). If Vegetto feels the same about disco, he's allowed to.

For the billionth time too, you don't have to live through an era to know about it.

There's always research and secondhand knowledge, or listening to music and watching tv shows and movies from then, or talking to people about it. There's also something called personal interests.

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/08 at 8:20 pm

Again with this? Do you honestly have nothing better to do than to hunt down my posts and scrutinize me because I wasn't around during a certain decade? You weren't even born until the late 70's (and therefore wouldn't even be old enough to grasp pop culture until probably the very late 80's) so I wouldn't bring this up about DISCO. Seriously, who gives two sheeshs when I was born? This is a nostalgia site, and I was brought here because I'm nostalgiac for the 90's and am really interested in the 70's and 80's...is this not what this site is meant for? Not to mention it's like you're using my age as a scapegoat ONLY ON THE TOPICS YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME ON (remember the Beach Boys thread?) And it's not like there aren't even younger members here saying things that are BEYONG BIASED and border the absolutely ridiculous (like that '93er who shall remain nameless). Stop being such a NOSTALGIA PURIST and let me dislike disco if I want to, I've heard more than enough of it to know that it's NOT FOR ME. Oh, and just one more thing...do me a favor - STOP BRINGING UP MY AGE  >:( Thank you  ;)

I take your age into account because I do that with anyone, and probably always will.  I've seen many young ones frequent these boards, who rave about Emo and other crappy music of today, then talk trash about older music from decades past.  You called The Beach Boys lame-asses who destroyed American music.  Had you have been around when they were popular, you might have sung a different tune

It's true you don't have to live through an era to know about it, but when you hate on a certain era that you were not around for, it tends to give off the impression that you are hating on it becuase it's not new or current.  Basically, you're bound to find people like me who are gonna call you on it lol

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/25/08 at 10:12 pm

I'm sorry, I don't. Is this a problem with you as well?  ???

no...like what you want. It makes no difference to me....not like I'll lose sleep over it. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/08 at 10:26 pm

There has always been crappy music...remember disco? Remember the late 80's?

Hey, don't dis Def Leppard!
:D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/26/08 at 8:03 am

Hey, don't dis Def Leppard!
:D

I like Def Leppard, but they seem more like an early 80's band (besides, though I like Pyromania, I truly despise many songs on Hysteria - a late 80's Def Leppard album). To me, the late 80's equals sheeshty hairbands like Poison and Warrant, awful pop-tarts like Paula Abdul, and, the only good things of the era, decent hip hop like Run DMC and the rise of harder rock and REAL metal like Guns N' Roses and Metallica. It wouldn't be until 1991 that this harder style would really dominate though, only to lose dominance the following year to grunge.

Written By: tv on 06/26/08 at 9:04 am

There has always been crappy music...remember disco? Remember the late 80's? Things are actually better now because of the lack of a money incentive thanks to filesharing and the stupidity and greed of major labels. In terms of war...gee, where have I heard this before? YES THE WAR IN IRAQ IS POINTLESS. YES IT'S WASTING MONEY. YES GEORGE BUSH AND HIS IGNORANT PARTY HAVE GIVEN US A BAD NAME. But then there was Vietnam, there was Nixon, there was stagflation. WE'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE, AND WE ALWAYS COME OUT A MORE PROSPEROUS COUNTRY. Just look at the country in the 80's and 90's - they were probably the best two decades of its existance. And in terms of oil prices...well, I have one positive to say about that - whenever I put gasoline in my car, it doubles my car's value  ;D.
The late  80's weren;t that bad music wise. To me the late 00's are alot worse music wise than the late 80's were. How is the stupdiity and greed of record labels help the music business? It just hurts the music business that much more.

Written By: Brenden on 06/26/08 at 10:21 am

The late  80's weren;t that bad music wise. To me the late 00's are alot worse music wise than the late 80's were. How is the stupdiity and greed of record labels help the music business? It just hurts the music business that much more.

I think what Vegetto means is that many artists who would normally sign to a major label are now going to stay independent. In the long run, this would mean that they wouldn't have to compromise their music for the labels and would probably avoid "selling out". I understand that the greed may be hurting music now, but I think (this was probably where Vegetto was getting at too) this will eventually drive the majors right into the ground, causing them to lose their grip on popular music.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/08 at 12:18 pm

All you young whippersnappers don't know GOOD music when you hear it. When I was a kid, we had GREAT artists like Mozart, Bach, & Beethoven. Yeah, I remember when they were cutting their first albums. I had ALL of their albums on 78s (I'm sure most of you don't even know what 78s are).

Oh yeah, I also had to walk 10 miles to school in 6 feet of snow uphill BOTH WAYS!!!

:D :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/08 at 12:30 pm

I take your age into account because I do that with anyone, and probably always will.  I've seen many young ones frequent these boards, who rave about Emo and other crappy music of today, then talk trash about older music from decades past.  You called The Beach Boys lame-asses who destroyed American music.  Had you have been around when they were popular, you might have sung a different tune

It's true you don't have to live through an era to know about it, but when you hate on a certain era that you were not around for, it tends to give off the impression that you are hating on it becuase it's not new or current.  Basically, you're bound to find people like me who are gonna call you on it lol

Sure, there's SOME morons like Josh911 who might be like that...but there's also kids and teens who like older music too and who have said so on this board (or places like YouTube). You seem to have overlooked that and only see what you've wanted to see. All due respect intended Jason, but you have to acknowlege BOTH sides of the fence. To make age assumptions comes across as snobby and stereotypical.

Again, that would be like someone getting on my case because I don't like classic rock (aside from a few exceptions), all the while totally overlooking that I DO like Motown, the Beatles and other '60s stuff like that...which is also even further before my time.

Written By: Jessica on 06/26/08 at 12:44 pm

Yes it is, and I'm driving the bus.  So pay your fare, bitches. :D

Written By: Tia on 06/26/08 at 1:12 pm

young people suck.

Written By: Jessica on 06/26/08 at 1:16 pm

young people suck.

OMG!!!11111 i cnt beleeve you said dat!!!OMGWTFBBQ!!!!1111ONEONEONE

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/26/08 at 2:51 pm

The world isn't going to hell.

It's going to sh!t.  ::) ::) ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/08 at 4:14 pm

Can I ask you guys a serious question?

Why is the "over 21" or maybe over 24 set suddenly respected for being nostalgic (either for something they lived through or before their time), or having good secondhand knowledge of "older times"...but young people aren't?

That includes being able to criticize something from the past without the "you weren't around, you were too young" sh*t for the millionth time.

Nostalgia is treated like some "exclusive adult club", and this is a prime example. I've seen it around these parts quite a bit, as well as elsewhere online or in real life. I've been there when I was younger too, and it sucks. Especially when people zone in on one thing and ignore the rest.

I've witnessed alot of smart teenagers who miss stuff from when they were little kids in the '90s or maybe even '80s in a secondhand way, or who are big classic rock fans, whatever. Yet it's always immature dumb*sses like that Josh kid who get the attention, not the GOOD examples.

Written By: Jessica on 06/26/08 at 4:33 pm

Why is the "over 21" or maybe over 24 set suddenly respected for being nostalgic (either for something they lived through or before their time), or having knowledge of "older times"...but young people aren't? That includes being able to criticize something from the past without the "you weren't around, you were too young" sh*t for the millionth time.

Nostalgia is treated like some "exclusive adult club" or something.

This thread is a prime example of what I'm talking about. I've seen it around these parts quite a bit, as well as other places online or in real life too. I've been there when I was younger too, and it sucks. Especially when people zone in on one thing you said, or on a few idiots and ignore the rest.

I've seen alot of smart teenagers or early twentysomethings who miss stuff from when they were little kids in the '90s or maybe even the '80s in a secondhand way, but I rarely see peoples praising the good stuff like that - instead focusing on immature dumb*sses like that Josh kid...and lumping everyone else in with that.

Can I ask you a serious question?  Why the HELL does it matter?

Furthermore, don't you find it hypocritical that you can call someone a dumbass just because of their supposedly bad points of view on an era, yet you get all bent out of shape when someone tells YOU something or makes a remark about what you do or don't like?

Written By: Red Ant on 06/26/08 at 5:13 pm

Why is the "over 21" or maybe over 24 set suddenly respected for being nostalgic (either for something they lived through or before their time), or having knowledge of "older times"...but young people aren't? That includes being able to criticize something from the past without the "you weren't around, you were too young" sh*t for the millionth time.

Nostalgia is treated like some "exclusive adult club", and this is a prime example. I've seen it around these parts quite a bit, as well as elsewhere online or in real life. I've been there when I was younger too, and it sucks. Especially when people zone in on one thing you said, or on a few idiots and ignore the rest.

I've witnessed alot of smart teenagers who miss stuff from when they were little kids in the '90s or maybe even the '80s in a secondhand way, or who are big classic rock fans, whatever...but I rarely see good stuff like that getting praised - instead focusing on immature illiterate dumb*sses like that Josh kid...and lumping everyone else in with that.

Liking or disliking music or anything else from a time before you were born is fine. I like about three disco songs, though I was perhaps six years old when disco was no more. I didn't live through disco... fortunately.

People tend to get called out when they try to exactly define a decade, especially one they weren't alive in, or make blanket statements about years past that are completely ridiculous. Saying "I don't like disco" or "most disco sucks" is an opinion, one impossible to refute. Statements like "the 70s was all cocaine and crappy dance music" or "the 60s was hippies and LSD" are flat out ignorant and very easy to mercilessly dissect.

You're right Marty, "you don't have to live through an era to know about it". I think one does have to live through an era to know how it really affected society at the time. You and I can read all about the JFK assasination or civil rights movement, but our knowledge will still never have the same meaning or impact as being there first hand.

Ant

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/26/08 at 8:04 pm

Furthermore, don't you find it hypocritical that you can call someone a dumbass just because of their supposedly bad points of view on an era, yet you get all bent out of shape when someone tells YOU something or makes a remark about what you do or don't like?

It matters because there is a serious problem on this site where some people end up being nostalgia elitists and dismiss someone else's opinions ONLY because that person didn't live through it. Now I'm sure Marty and I aren't/weren't the only ones experiencing this, so it would be nice if people just relaxed and looked at things from an unbiased perspective instead of stereotyping others' ideas only because they didn't live through disco/the 80's/JFK/classic rock/the Renaissance/ancient Egypt/what have you. I'm sorry, it's probably hard to understand if you yourself aren't experiencing it, but it does become a big deal when you seemingly get dismissed because of your age. And also, it isn't hypocritical to call Josh911 a moron because, well...to be blunt, he is a moron, and his opinions sound INCREDIBLY biased unlike a lot of more enlightneded young poeple here (he dismissed real hip hop but loves Soulja Boy, and instead of hating emo because it's bad, he hates it because he thinks it's "gay", which is REALLY biased...and he can't spell to save his life  ::)).

I actually hate emo, the only reason why I make so many threads about it is because I want to get an idea of where it is a genre so I can figure out when it'll be dead  :D (notice the whole "is emo the next hairmetal" post). And I just don't find the Beach Boys appealing, if you do that's fine, but I can't stand that obnoxious high-pitched "oooweeeooo" crap that pervades so many of their songs (not to mention all of their songs sound the same, at least to me :)). Maybe what I said about American music being dead at the time was a little crazy, but you have to admit that, other than lingering 50's rock n' roll like Jerry Lee Lewis and a few pop songs '96 Tears' (ugh...and the Beach Boys), the biggest names in music were BRITISH bands like the Beatles, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, etc. before the psychedelic explosion of 1967. Oh, and for the record, you weren't around for the Beach Boys either so I wouldn't talk  :P.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/26/08 at 9:09 pm

It matters because there is a serious problem on this site where some people end up being nostalgia elitists and dismiss someone else's opinions ONLY because that person didn't live through it. Now I'm sure Marty and I aren't/weren't the only ones experiencing this, so it would be nice if people just relaxed and looked at things from an unbiased perspective instead of stereotyping others' ideas only because they didn't live through disco/the 80's/JFK/classic rock/the Renaissance/ancient Egypt/what have you. I'm sorry, it's probably hard to understand if you yourself aren't experiencing it, but it does become a big deal when you seemingly get dismissed because of your age. And also, it isn't hypocritical to call Josh911 a moron because, well...to be blunt, he is a moron, and his opinions sound INCREDIBLY biased unlike a lot of more enlightneded young poeple here (he dismissed real hip hop but loves Soulja Boy, and instead of hating emo because it's bad, he hates it because he thinks it's "gay", which is REALLY biased...and he can't spell to save his life  ::)).

Yeah, I've been through that before too. My grandparents and people around there age still criticize me when I make fun of some music from the '30s, '40s, and '50s that I don't like by saying the standard "you don't get it because you weren't there" line and it can be frustrating.

I do agree that there will always be some things you cant comment on about an era you didn't expeirence firsthand, but music, certain parts of pop culture, and other objective things like that, can be commented on by any objective person regardless of age.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/26/08 at 10:48 pm

Liking or disliking music or anything else from a time before you were born is fine. I like about three disco songs, though I was perhaps six years old when disco was no more. I didn't live through disco... fortunately.

People tend to get called out when they try to exactly define a decade, especially one they weren't alive in, or make blanket statements about years past that are completely ridiculous. Saying "I don't like disco" or "most disco sucks" is an opinion, one impossible to refute. Statements like "the 70s was all cocaine and crappy dance music" or "the 60s was hippies and LSD" are flat out ignorant and very easy to mercilessly dissect.

You're right Marty, "you don't have to live through an era to know about it". I think one does have to live through an era to know how it really affected society at the time. You and I can read all about the JFK assasination or civil rights movement, but our knowledge will still never have the same meaning or impact as being there first hand.

Ant

Good voice of reason Jack, I think you're probably right. For better or worse, there does tend to be a bias if someone wasn't around, and I wonder if it's because some people make dumb blanket statements like that (and of course, every era has its good and bad, and other diverse things)? I agree that does come across as ignorant, regardless the age of the person.

P.S. Since all this mess came about with the disco talk, although I'm not a fan overall, I love "Disco Inferno" by the Tramps. That's sort of just a fun upbeat dance/pop song.

Written By: whistledog on 06/26/08 at 11:16 pm

Oh, and for the record, you weren't around for the Beach Boys either so I wouldn't talk  :P.

They had hits in the 80s, so yes I was

Written By: Davester on 06/26/08 at 11:24 pm

Good voice of reason Jack, I think you're probably right. For better or worse, there does tend to be a bias if someone wasn't around, and I wonder if it's because some people make dumb blanket statements like that (and of course, every era has its good and bad, and other diverse things)? I agree that does come across as ignorant, regardless the age of the person.

P.S. Since all this mess came about with the disco talk, although I'm not a fan overall, I love "Disco Inferno" by the Tramps. That's sort of just a fun upbeat dance/pop song.

People can get a little protective of the situations and conditions of their youth, and therefore a little testy, and others don't give a hoot...

I liken the 50s to an average episode of Leave it to Beaver.  Someone who was a youth in the 50s can explain the differences to me but I just wouldn't give a hoot...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/08 at 12:10 am

People can get a little protective of the situations and conditions of their youth, and therefore a little testy, and others don't give a hoot...

I liken the 50s to an average episode of Leave it to Beaver.  Someone who was a youth in the 50s can explain the differences to me but I just wouldn't give a hoot...

That's a great point. I find myself doing that alot with older decades. I always assumed that everyday life in the '40s and '50s was just like it appeared in the movies, but those movies and even television shows from that era aren't even close to what it was really like.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/27/08 at 1:42 am

Maybe what I said about American music being dead at the time was a little crazy, but you have to admit that, other than lingering 50's rock n' roll like Jerry Lee Lewis and a few pop songs '96 Tears' (ugh...and the Beach Boys), the biggest names in music were BRITISH bands like the Beatles, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, etc. before the psychedelic explosion of 1967. Oh, and for the record, you weren't around for the Beach Boys either so I wouldn't talk  :P.

OK, now I have to jump in and vehemently disagree with you on this point.

In the mid 60's there was a great underground garage rock scene in the US, which is one of my favorite genres of music. It was one of the major influences on 1970's punk rock. And of course I wasn't born until 1970 so obviously I wasn't around during this period, but that's what floats my boat. In that case I can agree with you that you can enjoy a certain style of music even if it was before your time, I can understand the appeal of it.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 7:59 am

OK, now I have to jump in and vehemently disagree with you on this point.

In the mid 60's there was a great underground garage rock scene in the US, which is one of my favorite genres of music. It was one of the major influences on 1970's punk rock. And of course I wasn't born until 1970 so obviously I wasn't around during this period, but that's what floats my boat. In that case I can agree with you that you can enjoy a certain style of music even if it was before your time, I can understand the appeal of it.

Uh, oh yeah...LAWL. I forgot about bands like the MC5 and the Velvet Underground. Totally slipped my mind, sorry. Was Iggy and the Stooges around this time as well? Or was that 70's?  ???

Written By: Jessica on 06/27/08 at 10:40 am

The only people bitching about not being taken seriously are you and McFly.  Perhaps both of YOU need to relax, not the other way 'round.

And yes, I did go through a period where I was OBSESSED with the '40s (and I definitely wasn't around for that), but no one gave me crap for it, and if they did, I didn't give two sh*ts about what they thought.

I think it is the way some of you present your views on here and in real life.  When you're being extremely forceful about your opinion and making blanket statements about an era or whatever, you're going to rile up the masses, yanno?  Making topic after topic after topic about being ragged on for what you like even though you're a young'n doesn't help matters, either.  It just makes people assume you're more immature than you really are because you can't let go of what one or two people think.

I only brought up Josh because McFly called him a "dumbass" for his statements.  To me, that is hypocritical, especially after McFly wrote about being criticized for liking this, that, or the other.

Written By: Tia on 06/27/08 at 10:44 am

i think he actaully called him an "idiot," he may have called him a "smartass" too, i havent carefully reviewed the record. ;D

i was obsessed with the 40s for a while. we threw a 40s-style theme party once, it went over real good. i had no idea global war could be so festive!

Written By: Jessica on 06/27/08 at 10:50 am

i think he actaully called him an "idiot," he may have called him a "smartass" too, i havent carefully reviewed the record. ;D

i was obsessed with the 40s for a while. we threw a 40s-style theme party once, it went over real good. i had no idea global war could be so festive!

;D

I still have a buttload of music from the 40s on my iPod.  I love listening to it.

Come to think of it, I was REALLY REALLY obsessed with the United Kingdom (mostly England, though) back in the late 90s.  I had a ton of books about the English countryside, travel brochures, a map of the United Kingdom hanging on my wall, and a giant Union Jack hanging on my ceiling.  I obsessively watched programs about the UK, planned trips in my head, read up on the history and culture, etc. etc.

I still want to go there someday, mainly to Cornwall.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/08 at 2:55 pm

I apologize if I flew off the handle, but I just get really annoyed when I see someone's opinion being inferiorized based on something they have no control over (i.e. their age).

There comes a point where if you've experienced something yourself, when you see it happening to someone else it kinda instinctively ticks you off (even if it doesn't relate to you), just because you remember how it felt. I heard enough of that crap to last ten lifetimes...even worse that I DIDNT fit into the stereotypes of the average snotty punk *sshole teenager when I was one, so it hurt even more.

It's really unfair and inaccurate anyway, because age doesn't define who we are or what we like. WE do. That's what being an individual is.

Just for the record, I don't get protective from the stuff I grew up with. If someone younger than me talks about it and kinda gets things wrong, I can forgive them for it. Especially because I'm pretty iffy (in terms of firsthand experience) on the '80s myself! There were kids even OLDER than me I went to school with who made fun of it too!

Sure. there've been times where someone a few years younger than me might've dissed something I like/remember, so it kinda p*ssed me off where I thought man, what a punk kid they are....but I logically know the reason is THEM and their personal tastes, not their biological year of birth.

In other words, I would never make a blanket statement that "oh you were born in 1988, you couldnt possibly know what I grew up with, because you never saw videos on VH1 or played the NES when they were popular, and that's why you hate it."

Does that open your mind to what I'm talking about?

Written By: Tia on 06/27/08 at 3:02 pm

;D

I still have a buttload of music from the 40s on my iPod.  I love listening to it.

Come to think of it, I was REALLY REALLY obsessed with the United Kingdom (mostly England, though) back in the late 90s.  I had a ton of books about the English countryside, travel brochures, a map of the United Kingdom hanging on my wall, and a giant Union Jack hanging on my ceiling.  I obsessively watched programs about the UK, planned trips in my head, read up on the history and culture, etc. etc.

I still want to go there someday, mainly to Cornwall.
yeah, i was an anglophile back in college... then i went to england. ;D i just liked the accents.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/08 at 3:28 pm

With all due respect, it matters because it's not fair to minimize someone's opinion based on something they can't help. The reason I get the feeling there's a negative bias towards youth is because I've noticed it seems to cut the other way too, even if they're positive.

For instance, if a more mature 16 year old kid says something to the effect of how much old-school music rocks, and he hates how his peers are all into texting and hip hop...people tend to not praise that as much. Probably because they assume that he's half guilty just from being a teenager too. So it's like this idea that nothing is good enough.

Heck I don't even share Vegetto's music taste for the most part, and there's no need for him to get quite that ticked off (I think he should cool it on starting threads too) but I can relate to his frustration about being age-stereotyped. People under 22 get that on a regular basis, and I'm still trying to figure out WHY.

I love what I grew up with (i.e. the '80s and first half of the '90s), but I'm not snobby in relation to people younger than me. I know I'm not better or smarter than them just because I was born first.

P.S. I brought Josh up because he's nonsensical and immature, doesn't seem to know anything about the past (and makes fun of older stuff or anyone who likes it), and can barely make a coherent sentence. That's a better example of a snotty brat kid I can justify dismissing what they say.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/08 at 7:50 pm

Heck I don't even share Vegetto's music taste for the most part, and there's no need for him to get quite that ticked off (I think he should cool it on starting threads too) but I can relate to his frustration about being age-stereotyped. People under 22 get that on a regular basis, and I'm still trying to figure out WHY.

I can tell you why .. alot of younger members who have crossed these boards over the years often tend to talk like they know more about decades they were not around for, than those who were actually around for.  Not all of them do that, but when you've seen so many of it come and go from some past members, it's hard not to think that about anyone of a younger age

Written By: Jessica on 06/27/08 at 7:55 pm

yeah, i was an anglophile back in college... then i went to england. ;D i just liked the accents.

I'm still down with going.  I just sort of need to be sedated for the plane trip back and forth.  Oh yeah, and money might help. ;D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 7:55 pm

I'm sorry for making such a big deal out of it, but the biggest reason is because it seems like Whistledog is the ONLY person doing it to me and I don't see him stereotyping anyone else (not even Josh). So it seems like he's zeroing in on me and only me and using my age to justify it (probably because I dislike Boy George and similar 80's popualr music - overlooking the fact that I really like Michael Jackson, the Cars, Duran Duran, and Prince), so it SEEMS more like an opinion problem than an age problem. I've made it clear in my latest "worst hairband (80's section)" post what EXACTLY I think of disco and hairmetal and their impacts on culture, so if there's still any more confusion, please tell me about it. Oh, and I'm sorry for starting so many threads recently (I kinda went on a splurge  :D), but I think that died down a bit.

They had hits in the 80s, so yes I was

I think they had only one hit in the 80's - 'Kokamo' (if that is how you spell it) - and were WAY past their peak. So when I say you weren't around for them, I meant that you weren't around when they were making an impact on popular music. Technically, if you look at it that way, everyone alive now has been around for the Beach Boys, since they're still alive  :D.

Written By: Jessica on 06/27/08 at 7:56 pm

I'm sorry for making such a big deal out of it, but the biggest reason is because it seems like Whistledog is the ONLY person doing it to me and I don't see him stereotyping anyone else (not even Josh). So it seems like he's zeroing in on me and only me and using my age to justify it (probably because I dislike Boy George and similar 80's popualr music - overlooking the fact that I really like Michael Jackson, the Cars, Duran Duran, and Prince), so it SEEMS more like an opinion problem than an age problem. I've made it clear in my latest "worst hairband (80's section)" post what EXACTLY I think of disco and hairmetal and their impacts on culture, so if there's still any more confusion, please tell me about it. Oh, and I'm sorry for starting so many threads recently (I kinda went on a splurge  :D), but I think that died down a bit.

I think they had only one hit in the 80's - 'Kokamo' (if that is how you spell it) - and were WAY past their peak. So when I say you weren't around for them, I meant that you weren't around when they were making an impact on popular music. Technically, if you look at it that way, everyone alive now has been around for the Beach Boys, since they're still alive  :D.

Kokomo.  Not sure why they're singing about a place in Indiana, but whatever.

By the way, I share your view of The Beach Boys.  I think I like one or two songs by them, and that's it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/08 at 8:11 pm

Josh911 was just some guest that posted.  You are an actual member making more than 1 post.  If you like that other kind of music, why do you semi-spam the boards with talk about emo and trash metal and make repetitive topics about that same stuff in comparison?

I may not have been around during the Beach Boys popularity in the 60s, but I would never call them lame asses who ruined American music.  And for the record, they had many hits in the 80s, but you obviously don't remember that.  Oh yeah, I forgot.  It's becuase you weren't born yet :P

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 06/27/08 at 9:03 pm

Josh911 was just some guest that posted.  You are an actual member making more than 1 post.  If you like that other kind of music, why do you semi-spam the boards with talk about emo and trash metal and make repetitive topics about that same stuff in comparison?

I may not have been around during the Beach Boys popularity in the 60s, but I would never call them lame asses who ruined American music.  And for the record, they had many hits in the 80s, but you obviously don't remember that.  Oh yeah, I forgot.  It's becuase you weren't born yet :P

I'm sorry, that's why I said "I THINK", I never said that I was an expert on the subject. As I said before, I flew off the handle when I said the Beach Boys ruined American music (shortly after I said that, I discovered bands like the MC5 and the Velvet Underground), but I still think they're a lame, obnoxious band, that's just my opinion. I already said I went on a splurge about emo and 80's pop/metal (even though I only made ONE thread about thrash) and I apologize if it was repetitive, but many people seemed to be interested anyway. Regardless, I can see why you'd get upset (the fact that you're a moderator probably makes it even worse), and I'm sorry if I made similar threads, but the only reason is because I have a strong interest in 80's carefree pop culture (for the most part anyway, other than stuff like Boy George  :P) and am very interested in what other people have to say about emo and the awful state pop culture seems to be in right now. I hope this clears things up, and don't worry, I think I've exhausted my views on all those subjects.

Written By: La Roche on 06/27/08 at 9:46 pm

No... it blows.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/08 at 10:59 pm

I can tell you why .. alot of younger members who have crossed these boards over the years often tend to talk like they know more about decades they were not around for, than those who were actually around for.  Not all of them do that, but when you've seen so many of it come and go from some past members, it's hard not to think that about anyone of a younger age

Well true, I'll give you that - whether or not it's fair, it's a fact of life that the "bad apples" kinda ruin it for everyone else. BUT how is current kids talking about the '80s any different than me talking about the British Invasion or something? I learned alot about previous eras by listening to music, reading books, watching tv shows (esp Unsolved Mysteries) and just generally researching.

By your argument, we couldn't have historians or people teaching something like the Civil War in school since no one was alive for it, right?

Jason, you're only 30 years old. Come on man, we're the Beavis and Butthead generation. ;D The '60s and 70s were before our time too. And I'm sure lots of people older than us would claim we were too young even for the '80s....no matter how much you and I like it, we were just little kids then. ;)

P.S. As much as I vehemently disagree with you on the topic, that's something we inarguably share in common...so don't you think it's cool when new generations get into stuff we liked as kids? I'd rather be glad some 13 year old thought Huey Lewis or Full House "kicked ass" rather than nitpicking what they got wrong. Look at the positives. :)

Written By: thewolrab on 06/28/08 at 1:58 pm

hell yeah it is 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...