inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Devo to sue McDonald's and American Idol

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/26/08 at 2:39 pm

Some crappy American Idol tie in toy at McDonalds happens to be a spitting image of the Devo group, and they are none too flattered to be associated with either organization.

Full story at Pitchfork Media

amiright.com

Subject: Re: Devo to sue McDonald's and American Idol

Written By: Red Ant on 06/26/08 at 6:05 pm

McLawsuit...

I don't imagine many kids getting happy meals will know who Devo is, but it's not the point. Having your likeness winding up as a toy inside a meal from a fast food megacorportation seems really degrading, especially if you didn't give permission. I wonder if any of the other toys are rip-offs?

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/26/08 at 6:09 pm

McLawsuit...

I don't imagine many kids getting happy meals will know who Devo is, but it's not the point. Having your likeness winding up as a toy inside a meal from a fast food megacorportation seems really degrading, especially if you didn't give permission. I wonder if any of the other toys are rip-offs?

Ant

no idea if the other ones are

Devo seems to prefer it when their in on the joke... like DEV2.0

in related news... I ordered a Power Dome from the Club Devo site last week and got it today.  I'll have to snap some pictures of me rocking in it later tonight.  Also got my Guild of Calamitous Intent t-shirt from the Adult Swim cartoon Venture Bros. too.  Sweet day!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/27/08 at 4:23 am

The little dude does look Devo-esque, for sure!  :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/08 at 1:05 pm

Meh, this is probably the most recognition this band has had in years. They should be thankful that they are still being thought of. ::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/27/08 at 7:19 pm

Meh, this is probably the most recognition this band has had in years. They should be thankful that they are still being thought of. ::)

not really... they've been writing a lot of stuff for commercials (Dell's "We Can Work It") and touring.

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/08 at 8:27 pm

I didn't even know Devo were still together.  I know Mark Mothersbaugh does the scores and themes for alot of Movies and TV.  He did the X-Files theme if I recall correctly

EDIT:  It was 'Sliders', not the X-Files.  I get my sci-fi shows all mixed up ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/27/08 at 10:15 pm

not really... they've been writing a lot of stuff for commercials (Dell's "We Can Work It") and touring.

oh..that's cool. I wasn't aware of that.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/08 at 4:54 pm

I didn't even know Devo were still together.  I know Mark Mothersbaugh does the scores and themes for alot of Movies and TV.  He did the X-Files theme if I recall correctly

EDIT:  It was 'Sliders', not the X-Files.  I get my sci-fi shows all mixed up ;D

it's an off and on again thing.  Mostly oldies style touring, there's talk of another album, but I don't think they're real motivated to do it at this point.

They never had huge chart success, but they were definitely one of the trendsetters for visuals in pop music.  Making music videos in the late 70s long before there was an outlet for them.

Check for new replies or respond here...