inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Firefox 3 ???

Written By: Shacks Train on 06/28/08 at 12:39 pm

I think the makers of Vista & the designer of New Coke combined to make firefox 3....
Tons of problems & some have experianced loss of files & webpages not loading!!
Figures you can't contact them directly to complain!!!
I always used firefox 2 but if you download ff3 you can't switch back..
If you are useing ff2 wait till they get #3 fixed up!
You've been warned!

Subject: Re: Firefox 3 ???

Written By: thewolrab on 06/28/08 at 1:54 pm

I like it but I've noticed a few problems. Occasionally it will clear out my cookies and everything I like staying logged into will no longer be logged in. And sometimes when I close it the process will remain running in the background and when I open it again it won't load my homepage, or any of my bookmarks etc. Then I have to ctrl+alt+del and kill both process, wait, and restart the browser.

And I def. don't like the new style back/forward button but I use the Aero Silver Fox theme anyway so it's not really a problem for me...

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/28/08 at 7:45 pm

I'm still using Firefox 2. For now, it works fine for me. I'll upgrade only if I really have to.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/28/08 at 8:13 pm

Downloaded FF3 on June 18.

No problems, haven't really heard of anyone having any major issues other than some of the add ons and extentions from FF2 didn't work.

But, as I've noticed, FF3 has a lot of features that make many of the old tried and true add ons obsolete as they've incorporated them in to the browser.

If you're having issues, try uninstalling (save you bookmarks to a separate folder), and (clean) re-install. Check your settings, make sure you have Java and make sure you have all the extensions for media players installed and enabled. (Just because you had them on FF2 does not mean they will install or will be compatible with FF3).

If you're not liking the way the new FF3 looks change it.

C'mon people, the great thing about FF is that is customizable. Don't like the size of the back button or the way the new "wonder" bar/address bar works, you can change it. Firefox was designed to be modified for the individual user, thats what about:config is for and makes Firefox so great.

Go here: 21 About Config Hacks (Tweaks) for Firefox 3

or here:
Ultimate List of Firefox 3 Tips and Tricks

There are a lot of really cool features that Firefox 3 has now that will amaze you. Most don't even know that they are there. Some aren't enabled, you will have to use about:config to do so.

Try it.  :)

PS, if FF3 is so terrible, you can always go back to IE7, which is MUCH better ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 06/28/08 at 9:06 pm

I have Firefox 3 and Vista and I don't really have any problems.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/28/08 at 10:47 pm

I downloaded Firefox 3 on day 1, and haven't noticed any problems so far.

Written By: whistledog on 06/28/08 at 10:51 pm

But where was Firefox 2?  I only ever saw the first one :D

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/image-files/firefox-clint-eastwood-movie-poster.jpg

Seriously though, I have Firefox 2, but I don't really use it cause it slows my computer down :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/28/08 at 11:55 pm

But where was Firefox 2?  I only ever saw the first one :D

Serious answer?  They never made a movie of it, but the Craig Thomas novel Firefox Down picks up exactly where the first novel (and the movie) left off. 

All the problems with Firefox 3 are related to people still getting used to the quirks of the user interface.  It's easy once you think in Russian.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/29/08 at 6:28 am

I downloaded FF3 last week. No issues, cept it's a resource hog!

Written By: Zoso on 06/29/08 at 7:14 am

http://picturez2.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/safari_final.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/29/08 at 12:41 pm

I had problems downloading it. It appeared to be downloading/installing but yet, nothing happened. Then I went to IE, and downloaded/installed it from there-it seems to have worked however, I am still getting messages from certain websites that says, "Your browser needs to be updated". So, I don't know.  I REALLY hate IE more than I can say so I will only use it when I absolutely have to.

Cat

Written By: NbC on 06/30/08 at 4:53 am

I decided to try Firefox 3 after reading this thread.  So far no problems but I have only been using for a day.  ;)
I have Firefox installed on my Mac so I am not sure if the problem is Windows related.  Maybe you should re-install as suggested.   

Truthfully, I stick to Safari and only use Firefox to watch movies online. 

Written By: STUCKONYOU on 07/03/08 at 12:45 pm

i LOVE firefox but sometimes it pisses me off when it installs new updates and then deletes all my bookmarks... grrrr  :(

Written By: Shacks Train on 07/08/08 at 2:18 pm

I finnaly was able to uninstall it & went back to firefox 2....Now everything works when I want it too...
we never shut the computer off & firefox 3 would seem to loose its place & give me a blank sreen with no bookmarks.......Theirs lots of issues with ff3 for sure & Mac users seem to be unmongst the loins share of problems.....I believe its the general public thats the guinea pig to test its performance out so the final version can be perfected.Released this month!.But I'll stick to firefox 2.....
Problem was firefox3 installed but never appeared in Add/Remove programs till I reinstalled it 4th time!??
As bad as firefox 3 was it was still better than IE7

Check for new replies or respond here...