inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cars that take YOU places.

Written By: MrCleveland on 06/29/08 at 2:16 pm

You don't drive these cars, the cars drive you.

I might save-up my money for one since they may be released in the year 2020.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/07/tech/main3682391.shtml

Subject: Re: Cars that take YOU places.

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/08 at 2:54 pm

Cars that drive themselves could never become a reality, because things can happen on the road that require the driver to be alert (a deer crosses the road, etc).  Sure, censors and stuff on the car would probably detect dangers like that, but a car is a machine, and machines can malfunction

If driverless cars existed, I wouldn't get one

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/08 at 4:11 pm

^ Yeah there's something I don't like about not being able to control something.

I read an article about electric cars around 1997 (when they were starting to get pushed as the next big thing) which said to the effect of "They could be on the road in 10 years" (that's right now, lol). I remembered thinking no way. Not only does the future prorgess much slower than people always predict, but there would've been problems with all the existing older gasoline cars on the road, as well as safety issues like how they would handle in a crash, etc. Pretty much you have to take into account every existing thing with regular cars and compare it to any alternatives.

That's not quite the same thing, but I think we'll be driving regular ground cars for a long time to come. And the age old "flying car" fantasy people have been dreaming of since The Jetsons is a long way off if it ever can happen. They'll just hopefully have improvements, like being more gas efficent or releasing less smog, but I think transportation will be the same until at least like 2050.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/29/08 at 6:01 pm

You don't drive these cars, the cars drive you.

I might save-up my money for one since they may be released in the year 2020.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/07/tech/main3682391.shtml

No way.

I enjoy driving too much.

Check for new replies or respond here...