inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Wipeout" - ABC's Latest Drivelfest

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/08 at 5:19 pm

Anybody here see the reality/competition show on ABC this wekend, called "Wipeout"? ???

Seemed like a complete waste of TV airwaves to me.  The only bright spot was that they had Jill Wagner (the "Mercury Chick") as one of the announcers  :-* .  Otherwise twas a real suck-o-rama.

My opinion, TV is still a Vast Wasteland.  Newton Minow had it right 48 years ago.  ::)

Anybody here see "Wipeout"?  Anybody enjoy it? ???

Subject: Re: "Wipeout" - ABC's Latest Drivelfest

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/30/08 at 5:40 pm

I watched the debut episode last week, and I have to admit, I did get a few laughs out of the whole thing. I'll agree that TV is indeed a vast wasteland, but some of the waste entertains... slightly!  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/30/08 at 8:27 pm

I have not seen it yet, but the commercials all looked really bad. 8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/30/08 at 9:14 pm

Anybody here see "Wipeout"?  Anybody enjoy it? ???

Well, it's no

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6521/idiocracytv2av2.jpg

but it's the closest thing to the fulfillment of the Prophecy that I've seen to date, easily eclipsing both Maximum Exposure and Whacked Out Videos.

(Anyone who still thinks Idiocracy is a comedy, rather than a documentary, hasn't been paying attention.)

Written By: nupur on 07/01/08 at 1:56 pm

i was actually looking forward to seeing the premiere of Wipeout. it seemed like it would be a semi-original television series that would allow me to laugh at people smacking their faces on giant red balls. too bad it got old after the first few contestants -- and that was only the preliminary round. the only enjoyable part was in the final round, when the contestants went down a giant waterpark-esque type slide sitting on a tube. i just liked seeing how fast they slid and how high they went after the slide ended.

Written By: Tia on 07/01/08 at 2:40 pm

i've been watching lots of "gunsmoke" on TVLand. you know what? that show was awesome, i had no idea.

Written By: greenjello74 on 07/12/08 at 9:24 am

Its a rip off of a Japanese show where the "competitors" do stupid stunts and the commentators make stupid remarks.
My son had a DVD of the original Japanese show but I can't remember the name of it. It was really weird though.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/18/11 at 12:38 am

Anybody here see "Wipeout"?  Anybody enjoy it? ???

As recently as 2011, people remembered "Wipeout".  I'm not sure how they remembered it, nor why they remembered it, but apparently it's still on TV.

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-pony-wipeout.jpg

I've watched it, I've enjoyed it, but you won't catch me fessing up to that anywhere else but the Internets :)

Written By: Tam on 09/18/11 at 12:44 am

Its a rip off of a Japanese show where the "competitors" do stupid stunts and the commentators make stupid remarks.
My son had a DVD of the original Japanese show but I can't remember the name of it. It was really weird though.

MXC - I loved the show!
I think what made it amazing was the english commentary!!!

Written By: Henk on 09/18/11 at 1:07 am

Don't get me started on Wipeout...

Seemed like a complete waste of TV airwaves to me.

You got that right.

I can somehow bear the UK version, but the Dutch version (read: commentary) is truly terrible.

Written By: Tia on 09/18/11 at 1:10 am

i usually support free speech but reality TV should be outlawed. there should be an ATF crackdown.

Check for new replies or respond here...