inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: stay away from the gas saving Propaganda

Written By: saver on 06/30/08 at 6:21 pm

Everyone is 'trying' to work out a better way to save on gas in these times, THAT'S GOOD-
Some are even stretching things with figuring how much 'air' is really being pumped in our tanks over the year(we're paying about 1% of the annual bill on it,) hoping to come up with a better hose.

But stay away from those who are saying we should hold off for awhile before buying and then the companys will get the message..
WRONG!..We'll still HAVE to BUY one day, whether it's today or in 2 days!

The other ridiculous idea is lower our use and they will lower the prices..problem with that is:  say we do stop using as much...THEY will then stop producing as much and STILL CHARGE HIGHER PRICES.

What I feel would be effective at this time is for America to keep moving forward witgh new ideas for alternative fuel or creating the nuclear plants ...as the foreigners will be scared into lowering their costs if we are onto some 'new' replacement for their product..Right now they LOVE it that the country disapproves the war and is squirming for low gas and costs are rising..they can do whatever they want to us!

If we show them we are confident and got things we are working on...it may put them over the barrell!

Subject: Re: stay away from the gas saving Propaganda

Written By: Davester on 06/30/08 at 6:29 pm

Slowing down is supposed to save on gas but I don't see many cars, in fact few and far between, on the roads that have slowed down to conserve gas.  I normally speed 5 mph over the speed limit and I look like I am sitting still in comparison to other vehicles.  It is proven that if you slow down, you save gas.  I said this to someone the other day and the person responded that they had to get to work on time.  I responded "so leave a little earlier!" DUH..!

We had the perfect time back in the 1970's to convert to an alternative energy source.  Once the crisis was over with, Americans went back to their old habits as usual.  Now we are back to the same thing again.  If the prices went back down to levels of 5 years ago, America would revert back to their old habits and forget about alternative sources...

Finally, what did Americans think?  Did we think that gas prices would always stay under the two bucks?  Simple - economic supply and demand.  Oil is not an unlimited resource...

Written By: Tia on 06/30/08 at 6:41 pm

Slowing down is supposed to save on gas but I don't see many cars, in fact few and far between, on the roads that have slowed down to conserve gas.  I normally speed 5 mph over the speed limit and I look like I am sitting still in comparison to other vehicles.  It is proven that if you slow down, you save gas.  I said this to someone the other day and the person responded that they had to get to work on time.  I responded "so leave a little earlier!" DUH..!

We had the perfect time back in the 1970's to convert to an alternative energy source.  Once the crisis was over with, Americans went back to their old habits as usual.  Now we are back to the same thing again.  If the prices went back down to levels of 5 years ago, America would revert back to their old habits and forget about alternative sources...
this is why, just about by definition, we're not going to do anything about the energy crunch until it's too late.

Finally, what did Americans think?  Did we think that gas prices would always stay under the two bucks?  i think there are a lot of people who subconsciously believe that god put man on the earth to exert dominion over it. running out of oil would contradict this belief and so a lot of people just... dont believe it. no matter what. they may acknowledge in this sorta mumbling way that oil is a finite resource but will never admit that the fact that it will, someday, run out actually means that there's a particular day in the future (or, possibly, the present) in which it actually WILL.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/08 at 7:06 pm

I save gas by driving a smaller car (Saturn Ion) with a stick shift.  I also coast downhill (engine still running, just out of gear) as much as I can.  And I gradually accelerate.  I also run Mapquest for longer runs and look for ways to reduce the miles traveled yet keep a steady spoeed.  You would be surprised what you can do.

The other day I got almost 42MPG on a 300-mile trip.  And on one stretch I was able to coast for five miles on Interstate 70, winding down into the Ohio Valley by Wheeling WV.  :)

What really ticks me off is you are behind some guy, driving UP HILL, maybe an eighth of a mile behind him.  There are no cars in front of him AND HE PUTS ON HIS BRAKES. What is it with these people who put on their brakes going UP HILL?  They are wasting gasoline big time.

(And no I do not tailgate people, that is not good for gas mileage, or the front end of my car! ).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/30/08 at 7:25 pm

The other day I got almost 42MPG on a 300-mile trip.  And on one stretch I was able to coast for five miles on Interstate 70, winding down into the Ohio Valley by Wheeling WV.  :)

Hey... I know that hill!  That's near "home" for me, where I grew up.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/08 at 9:35 pm

Slowing down is supposed to save on gas but I don't see many cars, in fact few and far between, on the roads that have slowed down to conserve gas.  I normally speed 5 mph over the speed limit and I look like I am sitting still in comparison to other vehicles.  It is proven that if you slow down, you save gas.   I said this to someone the other day and the person responded that they had to get to work on time.  I responded "so leave a little earlier!" DUH..!

Finally, what did Americans think?  Did we think that gas prices would always stay under the two bucks?  Simple - economic supply and demand.  Oil is not an unlimited resource...

I've been pointing out the same thing for years now.  The OPEC embargo scared the hell out of everybody, so people started driving smaller cars, Jimmy Carter installed solar panels on the White House roof, and some even wrote books about a post-oil economy.  Then Reagan came in followed by the North Sea oil bounty, gas went down to $0.98 a gallon and happy days were here again!  Forgot all about the gas crunch we did.  Boy, it would be nice to have those 25 years back to do it right!
::)

My problem with high gas prices is the necessity of driving in the U.S.  If owning and driving an automobile was a luxury like a yacht or an airplane, I wouldn't mind if gas went up to ten bucks a gallon.  We have a fairly good bus system in this area, but I can't get to work on it.  So I gotta drive. 

I'll cruise at 80 mph on the Interstates (keeping my eyes peeled for cops, of course), but I try not to surpass 5 or 10 mph above the speed limit on smaller roads.  It's for the sake of safety, to avoid tickets, and yes, to save a little gas.  The trick on the highway is to maintain a steady speed rather than constantly accelerating and decelerating, which sucks up more gas than cruising.  Of course, every time I drive my usual span of I91, it seems like all the old fogeys, speed demons, and drunks get on the road all at the same time!!!
>:(

Written By: Tia on 07/01/08 at 6:17 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcZemmN5Mw

Written By: Jessica on 07/01/08 at 9:55 am

I save gas by driving a smaller car (Saturn Ion) with a stick shift.

That's why we drive a stick shift.  I hated learning to drive one, but now I'm glad we chose manual.

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 5:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEcZemmN5Mw

Oh, hell yeah dude!  It's like Urban Mad Max Stops for a Latte and a Scone!  Three cheers for peak oil!!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/02/08 at 2:26 pm

Best I could get out of our VW was about 32-33 mpg on highway for a 400 mile trip segment...I'm really annoyed about that, cars should be more efficient, but it seems like a lot of the newer VWs and BMWs are getting even WORSE fuel economy than they used to.  The old Saturn I used to drive got up to 38 mpg highway.

Just trying to drive less and less, and to consolidate grocery runs...

Written By: Tia on 07/02/08 at 3:04 pm

Oh, hell yeah dude!  It's like Urban Mad Max Stops for a Latte and a Scone!  Three cheers for peak oil!!!
yeah, them french folks is gettin' seriously gloomy with their movies!!!

you know, i was thinking if i was that dude, maybe i'd switch to decaf and save myself a watch.

Written By: La Roche on 07/02/08 at 3:06 pm

Best I could get out of our VW was about 32-33 mpg on highway for a 400 mile trip segment...I'm really annoyed about that, cars should be more efficient, but it seems like a lot of the newer VWs and BMWs are getting even WORSE fuel economy than they used to.  The old Saturn I used to drive got up to 38 mpg highway.

Just trying to drive less and less, and to consolidate grocery runs...

I drive a full size sedan. It's about 10 years old and gets 35 on the highway. My buddy just bought a brand new Chrysler Sebring, similar sized car, it got 30 on a recent trip to Des Moines; Iowa.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/02/08 at 3:08 pm

My friend had a theory that with the new emission standards the fuel economy goes down, but I know not whether this is indeed true...

Written By: La Roche on 07/02/08 at 3:09 pm

My friend had a theory that with the new emission standards the fuel economy goes down, but I know not whether this is indeed true...

Well one big reason American cars get much worse mileage than European cars is due to the safety and emissions gear that MUST be on board American cars but not European cars. That's why a Focus here gets about 35-38 and in Europe gets about 45.

Check for new replies or respond here...