inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Friends" Movie in the Works

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/05/08 at 8:05 pm

Latest news reports indicate that the Friends Gang will be making a movie, due to the success of the Sex and  the City reunion flick.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91581

Subject: Re: "Friends" Movie in the Works

Written By: snozberries on 07/05/08 at 9:24 pm

Um  I love Friends...like I really love Friends but the idea to make a feature of Friends is pretty stupid. The genre is totally different than Sex and the City. First of all Sex was a one camera show...it played like a film. Friends was a sitcom filmed before a studio audience... the times they did remote shoots felt forced and then they loaded the scenes with canned laughter.  Remember the Super Bowl episode with Julia Roberts?  UGH!    I don't want to sit in the theater and watch the Friends cast 15 feet high and listen to a laugh track telling me where the funny jokes are supposed to be. 

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/08 at 9:34 pm

"Joey" didn't last, so what makes WB think a "Friends" movie would work?

The show was great, but making a movie of it?  I dunno, but without a laugh track, it just wouldn't be the same.  What would the movie even be about?

How about this ... Joey moves back to New York, and discovers that he wasn't so protective in his sex life.  60 women from his past confront him, claiming that he's the father of 83 children ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/05/08 at 9:44 pm

"Joey" didn't last, so what makes WB think a "Friends" movie would work?

The show was great, but making a movie of it?  I dunno, but without a laugh track, it just wouldn't be the same.  What would the movie even be about?

How about this ... Joey moves back to New York, and discovers that he wasn't so protective in his sex life.  60 women from his past confront him, claiming that he's the father of 83 children ;D

Or Rachel has a DNA test on her child and finds out that Paolo is the real father, not David Schwimmer. Many whacky, zany hijinx follow as a result.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/05/08 at 10:20 pm

Oh dear! The show wasn't funny in its last 6 years on air, and Joey was a disaster. ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/08 at 6:48 am

Oh dear! The show wasn't funny in its last 6 years on air, and Joey was a disaster. ::)

True, but the name Jennifer Aniston has tremendous box-office draw, and likely the series brand "Friends" will fill theatres too.

So maybe this is a way to produce a piece of celluloid doody and do a quick cash-in on it.  Production costs ought to be pretty low too, so this could be a get-rich-quick type film.  As long as the rest of the cast do not want a fortune to appear in it.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/08 at 10:07 am

True, but the name Jennifer Aniston has tremendous box-office draw, and likely the series brand "Friends" will fill theatres too.

So maybe this is a way to produce a piece of celluloid doody and do a quick cash-in on it.  Production costs ought to be pretty low too, so this could be a get-rich-quick type film.  As long as the rest of the cast do not want a fortune to appear in it.

I'm not saying I wouldn't watch it if they made it...but I  know I would not go to the theater to watch it.  I would definitely wait for the DVD release and even then I'd probably netflix it because it just doesn't sound like a must have even tho I own all 10 seasons on DVD

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 07/06/08 at 12:42 pm

not more whiney ross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ross is a whiner no wonder emily dumped him and his famous WE ON A BRAKE IS VERY ANNOYING

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/08 at 3:09 pm

not more whiney ross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ross is a whiner no wonder emily dumped him and his famous WE ON A BRAKE IS VERY ANNOYING

We were on a break.... its a typical guy answer. Men! Always trying to justify the cheating....

Written By: KKay on 07/06/08 at 6:49 pm

I don't think it will go over.  I don't think it stands the test of time.
I can't comment on Sex and the City cuz I didn't watch it.
I think they have aged and i'm worried that the writers won't take that into consideration...just pretend it's a week after what happened in the last episode.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/06/08 at 7:10 pm

I think they have aged and i'm worried that the writers won't take that into consideration...just pretend it's a week after what happened in the last episode.

Maybe they'll get Adam Sandler for this remake to play the role of Ross.

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/08 at 7:12 pm

the Sex and the City movie was pretty good.... it stayed true (for the most part) to the original series.  Go in expecting to see a mini season (the equivalent to approx 5 episodes) and you won't be disappointed. Go in expecting shakespeare? then I can't help you  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/08 at 10:45 pm

Like SATC, I don't think I could sit through an entire episode of "Friends"!

What's next, "Everybody Loves Raymond: The Motion Picture"? 8-P

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 07/09/08 at 3:55 pm

if elr is a movie I have to sit thru debra nags at ray thru the movie he should have his man card revoked

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/08 at 10:48 pm

What's next, "Everybody Loves Raymond: The Motion Picture"? 8-P

Hush you.  If that movie actually gets made, we're coming after you >:( ;D

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/08 at 11:45 pm

When can always sic Stingray on him...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/10/08 at 6:43 pm

I will bow gracefully for the headsman's axe!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/behead.gif

Written By: Zeb on 07/14/08 at 10:42 am

Well, I've never seen an episode of the show so I probably won't take much interest in the movie.  I have seen several movies with the cast members in them, Office Space, and Almost Heroes, immediately come to mind. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/15 at 3:06 pm

Latest news reports indicate that the Friends Gang will be making a movie, due to the success of the Sex and  the City reunion flick.

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/91581
It never materialised.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:27 pm

It never materialised.

Why not?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/15 at 3:31 pm

Why not?
From Wikipedia:

"The director of publicity for Warner Bros., Jayne Trotman, said there was "no truth in the story", and Perry's spokeswoman added that "nothing is happening in this regard, so the rumor is false". Kudrow and Cox told the Associated Press in January 2010 that they had never been approached by Crane and Kauffman to make a film version of the series."

Check for new replies or respond here...