inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Board Games Question

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/08 at 4:31 pm

I visited my sister last week who collects-well, just about everything. lol. She has a whole bunch of board games that we had when we were kids. I remember having a lot of fun playing them-and some I have even forgotten about until I saw her collection.

My question is this: Do kids (or even adults) today play board games at all or it just video/computer games now.

Cat

Subject: Re: Board Games Question

Written By: Jessica on 07/09/08 at 4:49 pm

Rice and I play Scrabble a lot and Monopoly on occasion.  Him and his friends play some weird card games.  Jason has Candy Land and I just bought him Chutes and Ladders today because he wanted it.  He also has a little book with board games in it that is affiliated with the movie "Cars".

We do have video game systems but the house rule is that they are played after dinner for only a little bit.  Jason doesn't really play them, though.  He just holds the controllers and acts like he is. :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 07/09/08 at 5:45 pm

We play tons of board and card games at our house.  We try to have a game night about once a month with our friends and family.  Our favorite card games are Quiddler, Five Crowns, and Phase Ten.  We also like all of the Trivial Pursuit and Scene It games (I guess with Scene It you use the TV, but they are technically board games) and we like Scrabble, though I am terrible at it!  We play Boggle, Pictionary, Life, and my husband collects different Monopoly games.  He probably has about 20.  I would say playing games is my favorite thing to do. 

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/09/08 at 7:53 pm

My five year old and I play board games all the time.  We have a few of the Junior versions of the games we grew up with (Boggle Jr., Scrabble Jr.; our favorite though, is yatzee jr.  She does have a Leapster which is a fun educational handheld electronic game but will always choose a game we can all play together.

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/08 at 9:27 pm

when I was first out of work with my back injury they put me on a really bad combo of pain meds.  I found myself at 3am sitting on the floor playing my charlie's angels board game with myself  ;D

I tried playing Trivial Pursuit with some friends last july we didn't seem to have the patience for it and started doing other things.

Written By: karen on 07/10/08 at 9:28 am

We play Scrabble, Othello, Monopoly, Cranium Cadoo, Mouse Trap, Master Mind, Skirrid, Sorry, Operation, Connect Four, Guess Who and Taboo. 

We also recently bought the children a wii and that is their new favourite toy but I expect that to die down soon.

Written By: nally on 07/10/08 at 1:46 pm

I still play 'em with my family once in a while. We've been playing them on New Year's Eve, as a way to spend the last few hours of the year. Usually we like to play Yahtzee, Bingo or card games.

Written By: gemini on 07/10/08 at 4:29 pm

We still play once in awhile. Scattergories is our favorite right now. We play Sorry, Yahtzee, Uno, Monopoly, Life. Linz found her Pretty Pretty Princess game from when she was little, and her and her friends (19 year olds I'm talking here) were playing it!  ;D

Written By: nally on 07/12/08 at 12:57 am

I have a Scrabble game and a Monopoly game, but we don't play those often... mostly because my parents think Scrabble involves too much brain work, and Monopoly always takes a long time to play!

I never thought of Uno as a board game, per se, but since it can be played at the table, maybe it does count!

Written By: karen on 07/12/08 at 9:35 am

I have a Scrabble game and a Monopoly game, but we don't play those often... mostly because my parents think Scrabble involves too much brain work, and Monopoly always takes a long time to play!

We used to play great long games of Monopoly lasting all summer.  We just wrote down who had which property, how many houses/hotels,etc when we wanted to stop playing.  Of course playing for so ling means you can accumulate a lot fo money so my eldest brother made some £1,000 and £5,000 notes.

Written By: Marian on 07/12/08 at 12:37 pm

yes adults do play them.At a local coffee shop,a group of elderly guys play chess evey day at the outside tables.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/12/08 at 10:00 pm

yes adults do play them.At a local coffee shop,a group of elderly guys play chess evey day at the outside tables.

Karma for chess.

The best use for an empty cubicle in an office is to turn it into an 8"x8" chess game. 

The rules are simple:  Anyone who walks up to the cubicle can anonymously play the next move as white or black, provided that they write down their move on the sign-up sheet posted on the door of the cubicle, and flip the sign that reads "white to play" or "black to play".  Conferences among officemates are permitted; the only unstated rules are that every move made should be, in the player's judgement, the best move available, and that (because all moves are theoretically anonymous) there's no point in transcribing the board into your favorite chess program and generating the next move by computer.

It's very different than playing chess against a single opponent.  Both white and black are effectively playing against a hive mind.  The fun part is that you can never guarantee that two groups of players (each of whom have completely different strategies than whatever you were planning) won't walk past the board within the next hour or two, completely changing the dynamics of the game by the time you get out of your meeting.

A typical game takes two or three days, a week at most, and everyone has a chance to admire the end result.  Which reminds me, I've gotta set up a webcam over the cubicle, because the only thing cooler than what we're currently doing would be an animated time-lapse .GIF of the entire game.

Written By: Davester on 07/12/08 at 10:14 pm

A typical game takes two or three days, a week at most, and everyone has a chance to admire the end result. 

Yeah but one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble.  Not much between despair and ecstasy...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/08 at 12:27 pm

Karma for chess.

The best use for an empty cubicle in an office is to turn it into an 8"x8" chess game. 

The rules are simple:  Anyone who walks up to the cubicle can anonymously play the next move as white or black, provided that they write down their move on the sign-up sheet posted on the door of the cubicle, and flip the sign that reads "white to play" or "black to play".  Conferences among officemates are permitted; the only unstated rules are that every move made should be, in the player's judgement, the best move available, and that (because all moves are theoretically anonymous) there's no point in transcribing the board into your favorite chess program and generating the next move by computer.

It's very different than playing chess against a single opponent.  Both white and black are effectively playing against a hive mind.  The fun part is that you can never guarantee that two groups of players (each of whom have completely different strategies than whatever you were planning) won't walk past the board within the next hour or two, completely changing the dynamics of the game by the time you get out of your meeting.

A typical game takes two or three days, a week at most, and everyone has a chance to admire the end result.  Which reminds me, I've gotta set up a webcam over the cubicle, because the only thing cooler than what we're currently doing would be an animated time-lapse .GIF of the entire game.

Way cool.

Cat

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/13/08 at 1:21 pm

I play both actually. It's sad if people are ditching board games wholeheartedly.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/14/08 at 10:32 pm

Yeah but one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble.  Not much between despair and ecstasy...

Way cool.

I'd let you watch, I would invite you, but I don't need to know any of you well enough to know how to finish the line. :)

Seriously, sometimes I like to gripe about things from time to time, but one glance at the office chessboard makes me realize just how freaking soft I've got it these days.

Written By: snozberries on 08/02/08 at 11:32 am

I never thought of Uno as a board game, per se, but since it can be played at the table, maybe it does count!

plus it comes in a cardboard box  ;D

Written By: nally on 08/13/08 at 2:36 pm

plus it comes in a cardboard box  ;D

oh yes...good point. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/13/08 at 7:54 pm

My father and I played Go and Chess when I was a kid.  It's been so long I've forgotten how chess goes.

My sister loved Clue.  She actually figured out who did it.  I didn't care much so long as I got to be Colonel Mustard and move the pieces around the board!

My friend Ronnie and I played a lot of backgammon in college, which he won 9/10 of the time because he had superior spatial-mathematical skills.  And he was still a total dick about the rules and he was still an aggressive player...as aggressive as you can be with Backgammon!  I prefer that.  I'd rather lose fair-and-square the have my opponent let me win. 

I'm still working on my game of billiards.  It's something I decided to learn.  It's not exactly martial arts, but there's a lot that goes into it.  I could get into the league at my local hall for next season, but I think I'll keep practicing and wait 'till the next.  My brother-in-law's in the league.  He's a good player, but not good enough to keep him from getting his ass kicked, and I'm not as good as he is!

My parents always tried to give us educational games.  Can you imagine that?  They wanted us to learn to use our brains!  So, duh, OK, so we went over to the neighbors' house for the good ole Parker Brothers-style games.  Sometimes their pop would even play.  Much more jolly than playing Go with my dad, which was kind of austere and didactic.
::)

Risk was a game I liked for a while, but since the object of the game was world domination, games went on a long time and the atmosphere could get pretty freaky!

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...