inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favourite Dance Music of the 00s

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/08 at 11:32 pm

Dance Music of the 00s .. Ambient / Dance / Trance / Techno ...  What are your favourites?

ATM, my favourite artist is Darren Styles, one half of the hardcore duo Styles and Breeze.  His recent '08 singles 'Right By Your Side (w/ N-Force) and 'Discolights' (w/ Ultrabeat) as well as the '05 hit 'Heartbeatz' (as Styles and Breeze featuring Karen Danzig) are all songs I listen to quite a bit.  He also co-wrote the song 'Pretty Green Eyes' by Ultrabeat, which is still my favourite song of 2003

Inclding the Darren Styles songs mentioned above, here's some more recent (within the last two years or so) dance hits I really love ...

♦ Now You're Gone - Basshunter featuring Mental Theo's Bassheadz
♦ Dota - Basshunter
♦ All I Ever Wanted - Basshunter (His album 'LOL <(^^,)>' has the aforementioned, the original 'Boten Anna', plus a techno version of 'Jingle Bells')
♦ Black and Gold - Sam Sparro
♦ Daddy O - Wideboys featuring Shaznay Lewis (Being a fan of All Saints, naturally I was drawn to this song)
♦ Going Wrong - Armin Van Buuren featuring DJ Shah and Chris Jones
♦ Music Takes Me - Stonebridge (This one is the title track to his fantastic 2007 album that also contains the next two songs ..)
♦ SOS - Stonebridge
♦ Close to Heaven - Stonebridge
♦ Sexual Healing - Alibi vs. Rockefeller (Believe it or not, I listened to it several times before I realized it was a Marvin Gaye cover)
♦ Get Down - Groove Armada featuring Stush
♦ Song 4 Mutya (Out of Control) - Groove Armada featuring Mutya Buena
♦ The Question is What is the Question - Scooter (Contains elements of the 70s Dutch classic 'How Do You Do' by Mouth and MacNeal)
♦ Jumping All Over the World - Scooter
♦ Dare Me (Stupidisco) - Junior Jack featuring Shena (A new vocal version of his 2005 hit that samples the Pointer Sisters song 'Dare Me')
♦ Cry For You - September
♦ Body Crash - Buy Now! (samples the 1978 disco classic 'Let's All Chant' by Michael Zager Band)
♦ Love is Gone - David Guetta featuring Chris Willis
♦ Watch Out! - Alex Gaudino featuring Shena (A throwback to that 1982 Pigbag classic 'Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag')

Subject: Re: Favourite Dance Music of the 00s

Written By: nally on 07/13/08 at 11:36 pm

As far as techno dance goes, all I can think of right now is "Satellites" by September....which I believe came out two years ago. When I first heard that song, it was on a muzak system at a coffee shop, and I happened to be on one of their internet computers. I didn't know what the song was called or who sang it, but it sounded really upbeat and catchy. So I google-searched some of the lyrics I managed to catch...and found the answer there! So last year, I found a link to it on Youtube and bookmarked it so I could come back to it and listen to it. 8)

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/14/08 at 8:29 am

My vote goes for Crunk and Snap Rap!  :D

Okay, sarcasm aside...I enjoy a lot of techno. One of my friends got me listening to Daft Punk awhile ago and I've really liked them ever since. I've also listened to a lot of other random techno artists, but I don't know the names of the songs or groups.  :-\\

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 07/14/08 at 7:41 pm

Techno, Electronica and Drum n Bass are all what I consider "Dance Music". None of which I enjoy though. :-\\

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/14/08 at 8:21 pm

My vote goes for Crunk and Snap Rap!  :D

Okay, sarcasm aside...I enjoy a lot of techno. One of my friends got me listening to Daft Punk awhile ago and I've really liked them ever since. I've also listened to a lot of other random techno artists, but I don't know the names of the songs or groups.  :-\\

I love Daft Punk. I find myself listening to "One More Time" and "Digital Love" all the time. 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/14/08 at 10:29 pm

Adam Freeland - We Want Your Soul
- Anyone who ever wondered why computer geeks tend to be fussy about issues of digital privacy, loyalty cards, and direct marketing... needs to hear this song.

Sarah Vaughan - Fever (Adam Freeland Remix)
- Found this by accident while digging on We Want Your Soul.  It's Sarah Vaughan's original vocals (and samples of the original audio) from 50 years ago, overlaid across an infectious groove.  It sounds as fresh in 2005 as the original did in the 40s.

Juno Reactor - Just about anything they've done.
- If you don't know Juno Reactor, but you remember the highway chase scene in The Matrix: Reloaded, well, that's them.

Crystal Method - Again, just about everything they've done.
- On any road trip longer than 45 minutes, put in Drive: Nike Original Run (2006) for either the first 45 minutes, the last 45 minutes, or both.

Casting a broader net, I've gotten into the mash-up thing.  A Plus D is consistently strong in the mash-up area.

Going back a ways -- Evolution Control Committee got the ball rolling about 20 years ago, and they're still going strong.  They're more performance art (and you've gotta check out their videos, particularly "Rocked by Rape" and "I Want a Cookie") than club music, but you haven't lived until you've seen them grab a random audience member, spin the Wheel of Mash-Up, and then proceed to mash up whatever two songs the Wheel lands on.  If that means it's Britney Spears and Led Zeppelin, then that's what they mix.  Awesome.

Written By: Henk on 07/15/08 at 4:01 pm

There's gotta be more than these, but this is a first pick (in random order):

Cygnus X - Superstring (Rank 1 Remix)

Motorcycle - As The Rush Comes

Bomfunk MC's - Freestyler

Delerium feat. Sarah McLachlan - Silence (Tiësto Remix)

Darude - Sandstorm

Martin Solveig - Rocking Music

Sensation White Anthem 2003

Gigi D'Agostino - l'Amour Toujours

Missy Elliott - 4 My People (Basement Jaxx Remix) (still not the version I was looking for...)

PPK - Resurection (sic!)

Tomcraft - Loneliness

Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400

The Age of Love - The Age of Love (I know, it's not from the 2000's... but it's so darn good! - and I don't mean the video)

Kosheen - Hide U (no music video. There are videos, but those are different versions of the song.)

Kosheen - Catch

Benjamin Bates - Whole

David Guetta - Just A Little More Love

David Guetta - The World Is Mine

David Guetta - Love Is Gone

Written By: tv on 07/15/08 at 7:05 pm

Love Generation-Bob Sanclair(thats a good song!)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/15/08 at 7:37 pm

"Check Your Coat" by ONeal McKnight and most Rihanna songs. Maybe not pure dance music, but has those influences.

Written By: midnite on 07/15/08 at 11:50 pm

Alot of great dance tracks above.

Not sure what style Poni Hoax's "Antibodies" is, but it is danceable and I love it:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=kRIaP5LQNBE

Also, like anything from Fedde Le Grand, Stonebridge, DT8, Haji & Emanuel, etc.

Written By: Henk on 07/17/08 at 3:57 pm

Just remembered two more. Couldn't find the videos on YouTube.

Sweet Coffee - Don't Need You (I know this song had a video, set at a laundromat)

Drummatic Twins - Feelin' Kinda Strange (don't recall a video for this one)

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/08 at 9:11 pm

Some good ones in the mention everyone :)

Tomcraft - Loneliness

The ex-girlfriend of a guy I work with wrote this song and gave it to Tomcraft.  I had a hard time believing it at first, but he swears it's the truth.  I like Tomcraft, most especially his song "Silence"

"Check Your Coat" by ONeal McKnight and most Rihanna songs. Maybe not pure dance music, but has those influences.

influences of dance music yes, but those songs are more R&B.  How to tell if it's dance music or not?  If it charts in the US Top 40, then it's not Dance Music :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/08 at 9:23 pm

Check this out ...

New at #86 in Canada:  'Cry For You' by September 8)

Though it has been many years since a Dance song hit the Top 40 in Canada, I'm surprised at how well some songs have done here ...

'Love is Gone' - David Guetta featuring Chris Wllis
'Going Wrong' - Armin Van Buuren featuring DJ Shah and Chris Jones
'Now You're Gone' - Basshunter featuring Mental Theo's Bassheadz
'What Hurts the Most' - Cascada

Written By: Midas on 07/19/08 at 1:09 pm

Check this out ...

New at #86 in Canada:  'Cry For You' by September 8)

Though it has been many years since a Dance song hit the Top 40 in Canada, I'm surprised at how well some songs have done here ...

'Love is Gone' - David Guetta featuring Chris Wllis
'Going Wrong' - Armin Van Buuren featuring DJ Shah and Chris Jones
'Now You're Gone' - Basshunter featuring Mental Theo's Bassheadz
'What Hurts the Most' - Cascada

These are current chart standings?  Most of those have played on Energy-FM for almost a year now.

Anywho, some of my favourite dance trax of the 00s:

"Feel The Hardrock" - Hardrox
"Salmon Dance" (Crookers "Wow" Remix) - Chemical Brothers
"Damaged" - Danity Kane (maybe more Pop-ish here, but damn catchy)
"My My My" - Armand Van Helden
"When The Dawn Breaks" - Narcotic Thrust
"Faster Kill Pussycat", "Sex N Money" - Paul Oakenfold
"More" - Junkie XL
"Deepest Blue" - Deepest Blue
"Let It Rain" - 4 Strings
"Get Me Off" (Superchumbo Supergetoff Mix) - Basement Jaxx
"Satisfaction" - Benny Benassi

Written By: Brian06 on 07/19/08 at 3:35 pm

Cry For You - September
Something - Lasgo
Black and Gold -Sam Sparro
All The Things She Said - Tatu
Can't Get You Out of My Head - Kylie Minogue
Rapture - iiO
Around The World - ATC

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/08 at 11:01 pm

These are current chart standings?  Most of those have played on Energy-FM for almost a year now.

All within 2008 so far.  Also including Kylie Minogue's 'All I See', '2 Hearts' and 'Speakerphone', those are the only dance songs to have cracked the Top 100 chart here. 

If it wasn't for the internet, I'd probably be stuck listening to "mainstream Top 40", three words that in today's times don't belong together LOL

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/08 at 11:14 pm

I must also add to my list, the complete 2007 album 'Ghetto Blaster' by Armand Van Helden, most especially the single I Want Your Soul (which is a re-worked version of Siedah Garrett's 1985 single Do You Want it Right Now)

http://www.plong.com/MusicCatalog/A/Armand%20Van%20Helden%20-%20Ghettoblaster/Armand%20Van%20Helden%20-%20Ghettoblaster.jpg

What Van Helden has done here is taken an 80s inspired sound, mixed in today's electronic sound, and created an album that makes me want to breakdance like it was 1983.  I can honestly say that "Ghetto Blaster" is the best CD I have bought so far this decade 8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/21/08 at 10:04 pm

What Van Helden has done here is taken an 80s inspired sound, mixed in today's electronic sound, and created an album that makes me want to breakdance like it was 1983.  I can honestly say that "Ghetto Blaster" is the best CD I have bought so far this decade 8)

I'm currently knee-deep into Spankox's Elvis vs. Spankox - Re:Versions.  Sounds much the same -- except it's (as you might guess by the title) reworks of classic Elvis rock and roll tracks.  Original Elvis vocals, original Elvis guitar riffs, re-sequenced and with additional embellishments from Spankox.  Every track's immediately recognizable as the Elvis original, but the background sounds like it would if he'd hired the Crystal Method as his backing band.

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/08 at 10:13 pm

I'm currently knee-deep into Spankox's Elvis vs. Spankox - Re:Versions.  Sounds much the same -- except it's (as you might guess by the title) reworks of classic Elvis rock and roll tracks.  Original Elvis vocals, original Elvis guitar riffs, re-sequenced and with additional embellishments from Spankox.  Every track's immediately recognizable as the Elvis original, but the background sounds like it would if he'd hired the Crystal Method as his backing band.

I'll have to check that out.  Is it anything like those popular Elvis remixes from awhile ago?  Elvis vs. JXL - A Little Less Conversation and Rubberneckin <Paul Oakenfold Remix>?

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/24/08 at 12:21 am

I'll have to check that out.  Is it anything like those popular Elvis remixes from awhile ago?  Elvis vs. JXL - A Little Less Conversation and Rubberneckin <Paul Oakenfold Remix>?

I can't speak for Rubberneckin (great, now I've got something else to add to the list of things to find/listen to!), but the Spankox album is very much in the style of Elvis vs. JXL - A Little Less Conversation.

Written By: Henk on 09/17/08 at 4:55 pm

From 2006: New York, New York - Moby feat. Debbie Harry

Not a hit anywhere, I think.  :-\\  I've seen the video quite a few times, but it never made our charts.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/08 at 8:45 pm

From 2006: New York, New York - Moby feat. Debbie Harry

Not a hit anywhere, I think.  :-\\  I've seen the video quite a few times, but it never made our charts.

#43 in the UK, Top 40 in Italy, Belgium, Ireland and Greece

I too have seen the video numerous times on TV.  I don't believe it charted in Canada either

Written By: Midas on 09/17/08 at 9:24 pm

Some more favourites from this decade:

"50K" - Def Inc. (currently playing on my Myspace page :D)
"Let Me See Your Hands" - Plastik Funk feat. Dollarman
"Get Drill And Work" - Cylsound vs The Drill
"You Gonna Want Me" - Tiga

Written By: Henk on 09/26/08 at 3:00 pm

This one sadly failed to make our charts in 2000: The Lawyer - I Wanna Mmm

I think it's catchy and I've always enjoyed it. 8)

Written By: midnite on 09/26/08 at 6:35 pm

This one sadly failed to make our charts in 2000: The Lawyer - I Wanna Mmm

I think it's catchy and I've always enjoyed it. 8)

Never heard it before - it is quirky, catchy and fun!  Great video. LOL

Check for new replies or respond here...