inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Will there be soon a sitcom 'revival'?

Written By: Josh on 07/16/08 at 6:40 am

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I think that sitcoms are not as popular at the moment as they were in the 80's and 90's. Ever since Friends ended, most sitcoms are short-lived. I really think that 80's, 90's and early 00's sitcoms were quite cool. I like ALF, Married... with Children, Seinfeld, Friends, Full House, Who's the Boss and Everybody Loves Raymond? In my opinion reality TV and crime series killed sitcoms in a way. There are too many reality shows and crime series these days, their number should be reduced. Although I like Cold Case, I think there should be some sitcoms around (there are a few, but not as good as previous years). Will Big Brother, Survivor and American Idol deifne 00's TV the way sitcoms define the 80's and 90's TV? Will there be a sitcom fad revival in the 10's?

Subject: Re: Will there be soon a sitcom 'revival'?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/08 at 7:28 am

British television seems to do well on showing repeating of successful SitComs.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/16/08 at 9:17 am

That's a good question

Since Reality TV basically oozes 00's materialism and drama, I believe it will face a big and I mean BIG backlash in the 10's (even out of emo and glam rap, reality will likely be the 00's aspect that will be hated the most). With that out of the way, there will be plenty of room for sitcoms to make a comeback, but the question is "will they"? We don't really have any now other than 2 and a Half Men, which in my opinion is mediocre (though not awful). Most of the non-reality shows huge now is stuff like Scrubs, Desperate Housewives, the Office, and House, and I know that none of those qualify as sitcoms. I mean, there was a sitcom downturn in the 80's, but there were still a LOT more then than there are now (most of them were just BAD). But then Seinfeld exploded, then Friends exploded, and then the 90's became as much a decade for sitcoms as the 70's. We could possibly see the same thing happening in the '10's, though I doubt it will be as dramatic as the 80's - 90's shift. So, to answer your question...yes, I personally believe that there will be an outbreak of new sitcoms in the early 10's (maybe as early as '09), but I don't think there are going to be any more Seinfelds. Besides, I think TV will pretty much be irrelevant by 2020 anyway  ::).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/16/08 at 7:00 pm

I hope so. I mean, sitcoms have basically been dead for about 6 or 7 years now, so it's certainly time for a comeback.

Let's just hope if they do make a comeback, they will actually be good. ;)

Written By: Step-chan on 07/16/08 at 7:03 pm

I hope so. I mean, sitcoms have basically been dead for about 6 or 7 years now, so it's certainly time for a comeback.

Let's just hope if they do make a comeback, they will actually be good. ;)

Me too, I'm tired of "reality" TV(wasn't into it to begin with).

I rarely watch TV myself. But my mom is living with me at the moment and she watches alot in general.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/16/08 at 7:38 pm

I'd like to see sitcoms make a major comeback as well.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/08 at 8:21 pm

CBS is the only major network with sitcoms

I remember reading a while back that NBC was axing all their sitcoms in favour of non scripted reality shows because it's cheaper and doesn't require writers.  Jay Leno always makes jokes about NBC's programming, and I laugh everytime because he's right.  Whoever is running NBC needs their heads examined.  Some of the greatest and most successful sitcoms (Cheers, Frasier, Friends, Will and Grace, etc ..) were all on NBC

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/16/08 at 8:38 pm

There have been some decent ones in the last few years, but they rarely seem to last, which pretty much proves that the sitcom is in a dead state now. Grounded For Life, The War at Home and a few others like that have been okay, but nothing that hasn't been done before.

There was even this shortlived show around 2003 called Greg the Bunny that I liked. It was pretty gross sometimes lol, but funny in a satirical, cutting edge way, and that got canned pretty quick.

Like Vegetto said though, I'll also agree they'll come back but won't ever be quite back to the glory days of the late '80s and '90s sitcoms. Television just isn't the powerhouse it used to be pre-Internet times. People have more options for what to do or watch now, and we're not as glued to the TV anymore (since we can watch online anyway). I wonder if DVD box sets have kinda cut into their audience too. I love that and wouldn't want to give it up though, but I guess it's a tradeoff.

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/08 at 9:32 pm

There have been some decent ones in the last few years, but they rarely seem to last, which pretty much proves that the sitcom is in a dead state now. Grounded For Life, The War at Home and a few others like that have been okay, but nothing that hasn't been done before.

"The War at Home got cancelled after it's 2nd season, which pissed me off.  FOX is known for sitcoms about disfunctional families, and The War at Home was one of the best

Written By: saver on 07/16/08 at 10:48 pm

From some of the experts in LA LA LAND, they feel the end of the sitcom as we knew it -with 3 cameras-has come.

We may resurrect some sitcom shows but they way we saw Happy Days and Mary Tyler Moore is hard to see coming back.

Written By: Sheila on 07/17/08 at 4:59 am

Will American Idol deifne 00's TV

Only in America.

Even ones dating right back from the 70s! A sign of a brilliance.

Written By: Josh on 07/17/08 at 1:40 pm

Television just isn't the powerhouse it used to be pre-Internet times. People have more options for what to do or watch now, and we're not as glued to the TV anymore (since we can watch online anyway). I wonder if DVD box sets have kinda cut into their audience too. I love that and wouldn't want to give it up though, but I guess it's a tradeoff.

I do not agree fully.
Because I know many people (like me) that just prefer downloading and recording TV shows and movies on DVD and wathcing them on their TV sets instead of ther laptops and PCs. Most TV sets have bigger screens than computers. I just don't like the small size of monitors and the fact that most of the time you watch movies on your laptop too close to the monitor.
When it comes to reality shows, I am fed up with them.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/08 at 5:33 pm

I was resting in bed the other day, with the TV volume low and heard from the other rooom, and all of the sudden, the Newhart theme comes on. It sure brought back some really warm and fuzzy memories of being a child. I often miss that same warmth from television that is lacking in today's non-sitcom world. It's too bad they just can't seem to come up with something good anymore.  :(

I hope sitcoms will come back in the '10s, but I suppose it's only a hope, as reality shows are draining television. What's TV for if we can't escape from our own drama and have to watch all of it on TV livng through someone elses life and real problems? That's what soap operas are for, lol.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 07/17/08 at 5:33 pm

From some of the experts in LA LA LAND, they feel the end of the sitcom as we knew it -with 3 cameras-has come.

We may resurrect some sitcom shows but they way we saw Happy Days and Mary Tyler Moore is hard to see coming back.

Audiences are smarter than they used to be.  The old-fashioned, studio-audience, irony and sarcasm-free sitcom will never be back...

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/20/08 at 12:33 pm

I hope so. I don't even watch sitcoms on live TV.

NBC-My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, The Office, and Kath & Kim.
ABC-Scrubs, The Goode Family, and Ugly Betty
CBS-Big Bang Theory, How I met your mother, 2 1/2 Men, Worst Week, New Adventures of Old Christine, and Gary Unmarried.
FOX-The Simpsons (In their 19th Season), Sit Down, Shut Up, King of the Hill, Family Guy, American Dad, The Cleveland Show, 'Til Death, and Do Not Disturb.
CW-Surviving Suburbia, Everybody Hates Chris, and The Game.
MyNT-Under one Roof and The Tony Rock Project.

And still...no new Saturday Shows! TV Really got too damn lazy!

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 07/20/08 at 3:36 pm

I stopped watching TV a long time ago because even the sitcoms weren't entertaining.  My only personal hope is Nick at Night.

Written By: midnite on 07/22/08 at 11:45 pm

Hopefully these Night-time game shows and some of the reality shows go away.  Two years ago, I really thought the movie-like shows were going to take off - shows like 24 and Lost.  They are doing well, but I thought there would be more of them.  I guess the pitfall is that it is hard to win new viewers if they are not there from the beginning.

We definitely need new shows - independent shows from creative people. 

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/23/08 at 6:30 am

Hopefully these Night-time game shows and some of the reality shows go away.  Two years ago, I really thought the movie-like shows were going to take off - shows like 24 and Lost.  They are doing well, but I thought there would be more of them.  I guess the pitfall is that it is hard to win new viewers if they are not there from the beginning.

We definitely need new shows - independent shows from creative people. 

I'm thinking of making an animated show called 'Bertstown'. It's a city that was once the crown-jewl of America, but is now called the Butt of America.

Most of the characters I made are original, but I'm hoping to get this show on Adult Swim so that I can get a few Hanna-Barbera characters (Mostly Space Ghost) on there. If not, I'll think of something else.

Written By: Bobby on 07/23/08 at 10:26 am

The British seem to get a relatively consistent supply of sitcoms and don't seem to be hurt by 'Reality TV' - which imo is merely another phrase for banal drama. Some sitcoms are either completely boring and safe (I can not understand why people love 'My Family' so much) or they are using the sitcom angle and progressing with new ideas ('Peep Show' which is pretty radical about a couple of flatmates who express their thoughts with voiceovers).

Check for new replies or respond here...