inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American equity group purchases Hudson's Bay Company

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/08 at 9:55 pm

The Hudson's Bay Company (HBC), a Canadian corporation that owns The Bay, Zellers, and Home Outfitters (three major stores across Canada) has been sold to an American equity group.  This means the U.S. dept. store chain 'Lord & Taylor' will be coming to Canada.  The Bay will be amalgomating with Lord & Taylor, but there's been no news if Zellers or Home Outfitters will be getting name changes. 

I've been shopping at Zellers ever since I was a kid, and a different name just wouldn't be the same.  Zellers is like a Canadian version of Wal-Mart, and somedays, I choose to go there over Wal-Mart.  They might not always be as cheap pricewise, but the service is so much better

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080716/hudsons_bought_080716/20080716/?hub=TorontoNewHome

A little bit of trivia:  In 1989, HBC bought out existing Simpsons stores and converted them to The Bay.  A Simpsons store (which is now The Bay) on Queen and Younge Street in Toronto was used as the setting for the 80s Children's TV series "Today's Special"

Subject: Re: American equity group purchases Hudson's Bay Company

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/08 at 4:44 pm

I used to shop at a Hudson's in Indiana, then they renamed it to Marshall Fields and it sucked.

Then they completely closed it.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/08 at 10:43 pm

I'm confused...

Didn't the Hudson's Bay Company own half of Canada at one point back there?
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/17/08 at 11:50 pm

I'm confused...

Didn't the Hudson's Bay Company own half of Canada at one point back there?
:D

Sort of.  The full history of the Hudson's Bay Company goes back to the 1600s.  Our story here picks up when they ran into trouble during the retail slowdown of 1997, got bought out by US billionaire Jerry Zucker (HBC held out for a sweeter bid and got an extra $0.50 for their shareholders), but when Zucker died a few months ago, it's been open season as to whether his heirs would continue to run it or would sell it.  Looks like Anita decided to cash out. 

Hey, it could have been worse.  HBC's main Canadian competition was Eaton's -- and Eaton's was in trouble in 1997, and ultimately declared bankruptcy in 1999, with their carcass snapped up by Sears... who had their own share of troubles, but who didn't stop at Eaton's, they even ate K-Mart.  Awesome story, though.  Everyone thought SHLD was nuts for buying K-Mart, but they banked some sweet coin out of the deal. 

In the interest of fair disclosure, no position in SHLD or (hey, for once in my posting history they're all either privately-held or bankrupt, so there are no...) other securities mentioned

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/10/08 at 7:42 am

The only thing left of the original hudsons bay left is the "Northern Store"
Something not known in the South as it deals mainly with reserves northern to all provinces & territoties!
Closest store is in Wawa Ontario....Kinda cool that everything is listed in LBS.They sell furnature/snowmobiles/ATVs/ice augers/rifles-shotguns.....I'm sure the yanks will screw the bay stores right up....The bay was always overpriced & I can't ever remember buying a single thing from them ever!
Yes Hudsons Bay did own the vast majority of Canada on the retail world....But just lke Eatons.....its the family inheratences that divide the company till its no more.Take the money & run!

The North West Company
The Northern Store
http://www.northwest.ca/BackOffice/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=5&tabid=10016

Check for new replies or respond here...