inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Military Bandmembers get wiped out...

Written By: saver on 07/18/08 at 8:01 pm

After seeing the COMEDY of Errors on the news clip...

I am talking about a video of a military band in practice-it resulted in a broken jaw and sousaphones for some members- but it makes one ask..

'How can a man in a parachute swoop in on a band in rehearsal,backs turned to him, yet from the footage of the accident,the parachutist is seen by the camera at least to be followed as he crash lands into the people???!!!'

1. (I like my lists lately) The cameraperson couldn't shout loud enough to be heard to say 'SCATTER!'?

2.The parachutists doesn't shout while floating in from 100 feet 'Clear the way!'?

3.These are military people..talk about not being aware of your surroundings-think how they could have been sneak attacked by intruders-!

4.(lack of my knowledge but)..I thought parachutes can be controlled and can do sharp turns even while close to the ground?

5. No one else seen this coming from that far away? It's not like he 'dropped' straight from the sky??

Subject: Re: Military Bandmembers get wiped out...

Written By: Henk on 07/19/08 at 2:14 am

After seeing the COMEDY of Errors on the news clip...

I am talking about a video of a military band in practice-it resulted in a broken jaw and sousaphones for some members

You mean this video?

Yeah, saw that too. Well, at least the parachutist took full responsability.

but it makes one ask..

'How can a man in a parachute swoop in on a band in rehearsal,backs turned to him, yet from the footage of the accident,the parachutist is seen by the camera at least to be followed as he crash lands into the people???!!!'

1. (I like my lists lately) The cameraperson couldn't shout loud enough to be heard to say 'SCATTER!'?

2.The parachutists doesn't shout while floating in from 100 feet 'Clear the way!'?

3.These are military people..talk about not being aware of your surroundings-think how they could have been sneak attacked by intruders-!

4.(lack of my knowledge but)..I thought parachutes can be controlled and can do sharp turns even while close to the ground?

5. No one else seen this coming from that far away? It's not like he 'dropped' straight from the sky??

Looks like a #2. ::)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/19/08 at 11:55 am

Well, that guy was traveling at a pretty good rate of speed.  At least 20-25 mph to judge from looking at it.  And if you have ever seen a precision parachutist dong a landing, it is hard to tellwhere they will land exactly.  They frequently "pull up" and bleed off speed several times before they make their actual landing.  Just looking at it, it is obvious that either something went wrong, or he totally blew it.

And how likely is it somebody would have either heard, or reacted in time?  25 mph, that ammounts to over 36 fps (36.67 fps to be more precise).  So even if he had shouted and been heard, that gives the people what, less then 3 seconds to respond?  At that point, even if they had started to look around (which being a band and trained performers, they would be used to ignoring outside noises and concentrating on the band leader) they still would not have reacted in time.

And these are not Infantry soldiers in the woods.  It is a military band in the midst of giving a performance.  I know a guy that is in the band here at Fort Bliss (he is a drummer), and he only touches his rifle 2 times a year (required qualification).  And some Military bands are not even all military.  The "President's Own" Marine Corps Band is mostly civilian.  They sign up for 4 year stints, do not go through recruit training at all, and are all given the rank of at least Staff Sergeant.  In fact the most famous member was John Phillip Sousa, who was never an "Actual Marine".

And parachutes can be controlled, unless there is a malfunction.  This was covered on the Pentagon Channel, and I saw the clip there.  The skydiver stated that his controlling lines had gotten snagged, and he was unable to controll his descent.

And he hardly "dropped in from the sky".  It is more like a high speed crash, whith fast vertical and horizontal movement.  He was probably moving to the side at 25 mph or so, and falling at about the same rate of speed.  And the typical "wing" type parachute has a much faster rate of descent then the traditional round canopy.  That is why they fall and land in a greatly different manner.

Written By: saver on 07/19/08 at 3:53 pm

And how likely is it somebody would have either heard, or reacted in time?  25 mph, that ammounts to over 36 fps (36.67 fps to be more precise).  So even if he had shouted and been heard, that gives the people what, less then 3 seconds to respond?  At that point, even if they had started to look around (which being a band and trained performers, they would be used to ignoring outside noises and concentrating on the band leader) they still would not have reacted in time.

For this reason it brings up another point...if he was on a vertyicle decent at 25MPH..given the band members backs were turned....we still had the BAD LEADER most likely facing the direction the 'lander' was coming from....or even, as mentioned, the cameraman....(he too may have been too far away)...I guess it's for show when paratroupers decend with the 'smoke' on their boots as they do at July 4 shows,so the people could track them..

Well, accidents happen, I felt sorry for those who wound up with a trombone up their noses.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/19/08 at 10:00 pm

For this reason it brings up another point...if he was on a vertyicle decent at 25MPH..given the band members backs were turned....we still had the BAD LEADER most likely facing the direction the 'lander' was coming from....or even, as mentioned, the cameraman....(he too may have been too far away)...I guess it's for show when paratroupers decend with the 'smoke' on their boots as they do at July 4 shows,so the people could track them..

Well, accidents happen, I felt sorry for those who wound up with a trombone up their noses.

He actually came from their right side.  Where nobody would have been looking.  And the cameraman would have been looking through his viewfinder, so he had no more warning what was going to happen until the guy appeared in the camera frame.  Which as you can see, happened a second or two before he hit.

And the band members would have been watching the leader, and the leader the other band members.  In a military formation, you simply do not go looking around.  That is very unprofessional.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/19/08 at 10:10 pm

You mean this video?

Yeah, saw that too. Well, at least the parachutist took full responsability.

Is it just me....or did someone scream, "fat ass" after he knocked some soldiers down? ???

Written By: saver on 07/20/08 at 2:39 am

AND THE BLONDE SAID:  'I THOUGHT THAT'S WHAT 'AIR HORNS' ARE MADE FOR....!' :D

Written By: Gis on 07/20/08 at 4:47 am

Have you ever seen and heard a military band live? Do you seroously think they could have heard anyone shout anything above the noise of a brass band unless the person shouting had a megaphone?

Written By: saver on 07/20/08 at 6:43 am

As the news showed the footage as to how it happened, I didn't get to hear if audio went with it to hear if it was a THUD but they did go down like bowling pins.

Plus to undersdtand more, I would wonder..maybe they were completely oblivious until they were hit..but thought I saw people meandering around the park area and wonder if it told if some happened to be watching the band practice.

I know when school band practiced, many would lounge nearby and someone -unless the planets were lined up to where everyone was looking at something else at the time...an arm wave or 'duck', could be issued...WHAT IS THE SIGN FOR-A MAN IS LANDING IN A PARACHUTE..MOVE AWAY? ??? :)

Written By: Tia on 07/20/08 at 9:55 am

OUCH. :o

Is it just me....or did someone scream, "fat ass" after he knocked some soldiers down? ???

yeah, i hear that too. i tried to hear it as "medic!" but, no, it distinctly sounds like fat ass.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/20/08 at 8:54 pm

OUCH. :o

yeah, i hear that too. i tried to hear it as "medic!" but, no, it distinctly sounds like fat ass.

I think it is "medic" - good ears. "HEADSHOT!" would have been funny.

Any idea what is said right before the impact? It sounds to me like the f word, or maybe "Look!"

Ant

Check for new replies or respond here...