inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dressing up for movies as characters..

Written By: saver on 07/21/08 at 10:39 pm

The BIG San Diego Comic-con is near..all the people getting their character costumes together for the GEEK A THON...have fun,..that's whatit's there for..

But what about dressing up for the BATMAN MOVIE......????!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't these people dress up like Ronald McDonald when they visit McDonald's?

Way to get the girls!

Subject: Re: Dressing up for movies as characters..

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/08 at 11:04 pm

Why don't these people dress up like Ronald McDonald when they visit McDonald's?

;D ;D ;D ;D

I think those Comic Cons are dumb.  Guys with glasses dressing up like Superman, or large women in Leia's gold bikini.  It's just too much ... "Help us Obi-Wan, you're the only one who can tell us we're cool" LOL

Written By: Midas on 07/21/08 at 11:17 pm

Triumph takes on Star Wars Nerds  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/21/08 at 11:35 pm

There was a little boy dressed as Batman at the Drive-in movies last night when we went to see Batman.  He was the cutest little guy.

I don't really see what's the huge problem with dressing up for a convention.  It's for fun.  If you wanna do that for your favorite movie then go for it.  I think it would be a little uncomfortbale sitting there dressed in Black rubber with a long cape.  I know I'd be stepping on it everytime I'd try to walk somewhere.  lol  But I like seeing the costumes.  If it helps them get into the movie a little more then fine, it's not hurting me any.  Well unless of course they go to see Dr. Suess's Cat in the hat, dressed as the cat, himself THEN decide to sit in front of me with his tall hat, THEN I might have something to say.  ;D

Written By: Gis on 07/22/08 at 2:57 am

I always dress up to go to the Rocky Horror Show.

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/08 at 8:10 am

I always dress up to go to the Rocky Horror Show.
Hot Patootie, bless your soul!  ;)  I have never dressed up to see Rocky Horror, but I think it's cool that people did!  What's wrong with a little fun?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/22/08 at 11:38 am

People love to dress up-Halloween, anyone? It is fun. There is a time & a place for it. I think during any recreation activity is fine-i.e. going to a game or going to a movie. However, dressing up for that important business meeting may not exactly get you that contract you were hoping for or dressing up for a job interview may extend your stay in the unemployment line (unless it is for a job as an amusement/ball park mascot). But a few things to remember:

Dressing up to go see Batman in the summer may be a bit warm-yeah I know they have A/C  but still.
Dressing up in fishnet stocking to see Rocky Horror in the winter may get a bit chilly-but if you will probably work up a sweat doing the Time Warp.

It is just a jump to the left... ;)

Cat

Written By: Davester on 07/22/08 at 1:17 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D

I think those Comic Cons are dumb.  Guys with glasses dressing up like Superman, or large women in Leia's gold bikini.  It's just too much ... "Help us Obi-Wan, you're the only one who can tell us we're cool" LOL

To hell with that.  High school is over, no need trying to be cool anymore.  Give your inner nerd a hug once in awhile...

Geeks of the world, keep grooving..! 8)

Written By: saver on 07/22/08 at 2:06 pm

S you want to have your fun, put on some dime-store makeup and get to the theater....WHOAAAAA! There are dozens of others dressed as the same character..well, there you go Mr./Ms. Originality...suddenly, you are not expressing yourself, you're part of a GEEK parade???

Rocky H...maybe it's expected now..it's camp....but how many do you still see dressing like the RIDDLER from the Jim Carrey days?

Local talk radio took calls of who did the makeup thing and if they were 3 sheets to the wind when they did it.....YEP..MANY.
Just wouldn't want to be part of that circle...would be like if my brother wore a dress to HAIRSPRAY...JUST ENJOY THE MOVIE EXPERIENCE..Save the costume for 'dress-up day' at school kids and you'll get some candy. :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/08 at 2:10 pm

S you want to have your fun, put on some dime-store makeup and get to the theater....WHOAAAAA! There are dozens of others dressed as the same character..well, there you go Mr./Ms. Originality...suddenly, you are not expressing yourself, you're part of a GEEK parade???

Rocky H...maybe it's expected now..it's camp....but how many do you still see dressing like the RIDDLER from the Jim Carrey days?

Local talk radio took calls of who did the makeup thing and if they were 3 sheets to the wind when they did it.....YEP..MANY.
Just wouldn't want to be part of that circle...would be like if my brother wore a dress to HAIRSPRAY...JUST ENJOY THE MOVIE EXPERIENCE..Save the costume for 'dress-up day' at school kids and you'll get some candy. :D

Lemme guess!  They don't like you at geek parades either  :P

Written By: saver on 07/22/08 at 6:07 pm

Lemme guess!  They don't like you at geek parades either  :P

The Comic conventions have been fun places to visit where they have come as your favorite 'costume' characters and judging contests...

A parade is organized...one who dresses up for ones own enjoyment is ..... :D 

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/08 at 6:57 pm

The Comic conventions have been fun places to visit where they have come as your favorite 'costume' characters and judging contests...

A parade is organized...one who dresses up for ones own enjoyment is ..... :D 
What's your point?  Forget I asked...

Written By: Davester on 07/22/08 at 7:54 pm

I prefer Heath Ledger's Joker!  Oh man, the possibilities..!

"Let's put a smile on that face..."  The literal, the figurative or the sexually explicit as necessary...

Written By: Davester on 07/22/08 at 8:01 pm

I remember attending the midnight premiere of the Phantom Menace, drinking beer and beig chased around by wayward local Jedis with those plastic, light-up lightsabers...

They were all my age.  Stupid fun.  We're never going to grow-up...hopefully... :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/08 at 8:04 pm

If you go to any McDonald's dressed like Ronald, you eat for free!
:)

Written By: saver on 07/22/08 at 10:29 pm

What's your point?  Forget I asked...

YOU'RE GOING TO A MOVIE FOR GOSH SAKES!!! You want to dress up like the character and make 'swooshing light saber sounds'(STARWARS FEST) stay home and do it in all your glory AND talk to the pictures if you want...

Movies, are  a night out event, get away,relax, pick up girls*(*GEEKS-Those are the curvy people with lipstick and makeup) .

Parades-places where people march around and show off your attraction for attention.

When I got to SAW or Fri. 13th, I'm not dressing like Jason....

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/08 at 11:46 pm

If you go to any McDonald's dressed like Ronald, you eat for free!
:)
Oh, but you'll pay with your intestine  8-P

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/22/08 at 11:50 pm

YOU'RE GOING TO A MOVIE FOR GOSH SAKES!!! You want to dress up like the character and make 'swooshing light saber sounds'(STARWARS FEST) stay home and do it in all your glory AND talk to the pictures if you want...

Movies, are  a night out event, get away,relax, pick up girls*(*GEEKS-Those are the curvy people with lipstick and makeup) .

Parades-places where people march around and show off your attraction for attention.

Where's the harm?  Everyone has fun in their own way.  You should lighten up (considering that saber seems to be up your butt  ;D)

Written By: saver on 07/23/08 at 1:13 am

Where's the harm?  Everyone has fun in their own way.  You should lighten up (considering that saber seems to be up your butt  ;D)

I told you I get it..conventions fine...

Movies, how will their mom's find them when they come to pick them up and they are all the same looking? :P :D

Written By: ladybug316 on 07/23/08 at 8:27 am

I told you I get it..conventions fine...

Movies, how will their mom's find them when they come to pick them up and they are all the same looking? :P :D
For someone who gets it, you don't get it.

...And if your Mama couldn't find you in a crowd regardless of how you were dressed, well that's a big piece of the puzzle right there!

Written By: Jessica on 07/23/08 at 10:35 am

Movies, are  a night out event, get away,relax, pick up girls*(*GEEKS-Those are the curvy people with lipstick and makeup)

Rice Cube is a geek and he obviously knows what a girl is considering he's married to me.  Many of my friends are what you would call geeks, but they know what girls are...and yes, some of them do dress up for comic con.  Hell, I was going to go to one in San Jose with my friend (so we could mock Wil Wheaton), but my family forced me to go somewhere else.  Jane Wiedlin was at that comic con.  She totally fits your view of a geek. ::)

You always have to put down someone, don't you?  Mexicans, women with tattoos, geeks, people who don't dress to your standards...so who's next on your list, oh hater of everything? 

You say you live in Los Angeles.  I'm surprised you haven't gotten your ass kicked from one side of the state to the other.

Written By: Tia on 07/23/08 at 12:01 pm

who's next on your list, oh hater of everything? 
paprika-snorting hungarian goulies!

http://www.wikiality.com/Hungary

Written By: Jessica on 07/23/08 at 12:09 pm

paprika-snorting hungarian goulies!

http://www.wikiality.com/Hungary

Don't give him ideas. ;D

Written By: saver on 07/23/08 at 5:16 pm

Rice Cube is a geek and he obviously knows what a girl is considering he's married to me.  Many of my friends are what you would call geeks, but they know what girls are...and yes, some of them do dress up for comic con.  Hell, I was going to go to one in San Jose with my friend (so we could mock Wil Wheaton), but my family forced me to go somewhere else.  Jane Wiedlin was at that comic con.  She totally fits your view of a geek. ::)

You always have to put down someone, don't you?  Mexicans, women with tattoos, geeks, people who don't dress to your standards...so who's next on your list, oh hater of everything? 

You say you live in Los Angeles.  I'm surprised you haven't gotten your ass kicked from one side of the state to the other.

First off NO...Mexicans are NOT something I pick on ILLEGALS are the word for those who are in this Sate and country! NOT namby pamby bandaid names like UNDOCUMENTED WORKER,GUESTS..open your eyes and call the group I have addressed..they were never picked for being Mexicans, or Canadians that matter.

Next Women with tattoos..THEY don't appeal to me-as well as anyone wearing their underwear out of their pants! Do I HATE the women doing this..I don't believe so..I feel sorry for them and aparently, THEY are regretting their choices too..most recently in the news it was reported people are now having the tattoos removed and the majority WOMEN!
I won't be dating a walking comic book, displaying an 'I'M EASY' STAMP crawling out of their pants if I can help it.
Doesn't sound like 'hate' but a preference...AND that's right a 'standard'... you wouldn't date an obese person would you? According to my standards, I MAY LIKE ONE, but would prefer them to help themselves from future illness or early death by losing the excess weight, so I could love them more.
No name calling there either-STRIKE 2

GEEKS- they already label themselves that, but the action of dressing up for a movie..I don't get it-as mentoned, why don't they also dress like SHREK or haven't seen anyone don a SPIDERMAN outfit-the previous TOP box office smash..
Let them dress, but you won't see me near them..so that would make them want to kick my butt in the most diverse town around?  I MUST HAVE A GOOD POINT HERE OR I WOULD BE IN A CAVE..probably because there are more of 'my standard' practitioners that are giving THEM the message.

GAME SET AND MATCH....Unfounded  Accusations.  But still happy to help you with this alert-if you'd like to still make good on your mocking  : WIL WHEATON IS TO BE AT THE SAN DIEGO COMICON THIS WEEKEND!

;) ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/23/08 at 5:29 pm

I have a solution if you want to avoid the dressed-up-folk experience...

1.  Go to a matinee where the dressed-up:normal ratio will be lower

2.  Wait for the DVD and watch it at home where you can keep dressed-up-folk out

Wait, why are we talking about this again?  As long as they're not too loud and don't fly around the theater in their Batsuits, let them have their fun :P  This thread is almost as dumb as not allowing gay marriage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 8:25 pm

Now, there's an unfair negative stereotype about people who go to the cinema dressed as Gandalf and attend Dragon Con that they live in mom's basement and are still virgins at the age of 35.  Well, I'll tell you....I've got no data to refute it.
:P

Written By: saver on 07/23/08 at 9:30 pm

Now, there's an unfair negative stereotype about people who go to the cinema dressed as Gandalf and attend Dragon Con that they live in mom's basement and are still virgins at the age of 35.  Well, I'll tell you....I've got no data to refute it.
:P

;)  (Thanks for seeing the fun in this thread MAX)......uh, did you dress up for GET SMART?

I'm going in my mom's basement and putting on my Harry Potter scar and glasses :-*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/08 at 9:49 pm

;)  (Thanks for seeing the fun in this thread MAX)......uh, did you dress up for GET SMART?

I'm going in my mom's basement and putting on my Harry Potter scar and glasses :-*

I'm not actually a huge fan of "Get Smart."  I think it's funnier than the average '60s sit-com, but choosing the name was just spur of the moment for joining the board!  I didn't know I'd still be here in five years!
:o

So "Maxwell Smart" is my defacto alter ego!

"Get Smart" with Steve Carrel?  I'll wait for the DVD.

Written By: Gis on 07/24/08 at 8:48 am

Geeks sure know what girls are, if you could force yourself to soil your delicate eyes by looking at a comic book you'd see plenty of ladies.

Why is sitting watching a film dressed as Luke Skywalker any different to sitting watching a film in blue jeans? Believe me if anyone made 'swooshing light sabre sounds' their butt would get kicked out of the movie faster that you could blink.

You say you won't date a walking comic book, I seriously can't imagine you dating ANY girl for longer than it took her to get to know you.

Written By: Tia on 07/24/08 at 8:53 am

Geeks sure know what girls are, if you could force yourself to soil your delicate eyes by looking at a comic book you'd see plenty of ladies.
"all jocks ever think about is sports. all nerds ever think about is sex." name the movie!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/08 at 9:06 am

"all jocks ever think about is sports. all nerds ever think about is sex." name the movie!

BURP!

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.10/spotlight/nerds/images/booger/booger4.jpg

Written By: Midas on 07/24/08 at 9:11 am

Ooh, ooh, Mr. Kotter!!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1411/632967042_7addbd15f4.jpg?v=0

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/08 at 11:19 am

I tried to post this photo but couldn't do it-so here is the link:

http://rutlandherald.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=19764213&event=562116&CategoryID=15781

These are people who dressed up for the opening of a new Taco Bell. I wonder if saver is in the crowd there.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Jessica on 07/24/08 at 11:52 am

I tried to post this photo but couldn't do it-so here is the link:

http://rutlandherald.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=19764213&event=562116&CategoryID=15781

These are people who dressed up for the opening of a new Taco Bell. I wonder if saver is in the crowd there.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I didn't know Taco Bell was so exciting. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/08 at 12:16 pm

Either did I considering there was a Taco Bell in Rutland about 10 years ago that closed. Of course that one was in a dying part of the city and this one is now in the growing part.

Cat

Written By: saver on 07/24/08 at 5:55 pm

Either did I considering there was a Taco Bell in Rutland about 10 years ago that closed. Of course that one was in a dying part of the city and this one is now in the growing part.

Cat

Fast food places are ok to dress up at..I mean remember when BURGER KING encouraged it by giving anyone a 'crown' to wear at 35 I asked for one and wore it..'it was the time and place to do it!
Again, movies (times and places) are to pick up a date, have a laugh NOT PEOPLE being the center of attention.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/08 at 5:57 pm

I dressed up one time going to Pizza Hut. They were having a 50s days-very nice 50s era cars in the parking lot and everyone who came dressed in the 50s got % off their bill-so we did.  ;D

Cat

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/24/08 at 6:14 pm

Fast food places are ok to dress up at..I mean remember when BURGER KING encouraged it by giving anyone a 'crown' to wear at 35 I asked for one and wore it..'it was the time and place to do it!
Again, movies (times and places) are to pick up a date, have a laugh NOT PEOPLE being the center of attention.

The people who are dressed up are sitting down in the darkened theater.  What does it matter?  ???

Written By: saver on 07/24/08 at 6:53 pm

The people who are dressed up are sitting down in the darkened theater.  What does it matter?  ???

Even mooore weird! 

Take 1/2hr. to dress up in makeup you had to go to store  to buy ,make sure you have photo of the character, and wardrobe(insome cases)...and let's sit in the dark!

Not at all there I would say.

If they could arrange it, I'd understand it: dress as a favorite character from (?)movie they run and you get a discount/free candy/prize if the best etc..
Then I would do my part, dres like 'the FLY' and regurgitate on the seat in front of me :o :o   

Remember(?) in school when some of the kids said, 'Hey tomorrow, let's dress in pajamas-it'll be pajama day' and one kid actually does, AND NO ONE ELSE GOES THROUGH WITH IT...what happens??? GEEKY GEEKY, FREAKY FREAKY!

Written By: Midas on 07/24/08 at 10:33 pm

It is if you look like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/388688454_bc43610558.jpg?v=0

Written By: Jessica on 07/24/08 at 10:41 pm

So now it's a place to pick up people?  That's.....interesting.

Remember(?) in school when some of the kids said, 'Hey tomorrow, let's dress in pajamas-it'll be pajama day' and one kid actually does, AND NO ONE ELSE GOES THROUGH WITH IT...what happens??? GEEKY GEEKY, FREAKY FREAKY!

Actually, our high school had theme days like that: Pajama Day, Hawaiian Day, Cowboy Day, etc.  Most everyone participated, and there was no name calling.

It is if you look like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/143/388688454_bc43610558.jpg?v=0

I want one of those hats.

Written By: Gis on 07/25/08 at 1:12 am

So now it's a place to pick up people?  That's.....interesting.

Yes doesn't it give you a 'delightful' mental image.  8-P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/25/08 at 1:42 am

Just add me to the list of freaks I guess, I once dressed up for Rocky Horror and I sat in a darkened theater.  The nerve of me!  And I had forgotten to pick up somebody at the theater.  damn.  I knew that guy wearing a corsette was pretty hot (and we could have shared lingerie.)
;)

Well, ok, I did go to a costume party that was held upstairs from the theater after the movie, so maybe I will redeem myself in saver's eyes.  Maybe not.  lol  doesn't matter.  :D

Written By: saver on 07/25/08 at 1:53 am

Don't give him ideas. ;D

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, don't get me started on *RAPPERS who can't sing unless they- 'grab their crotches'! ;D   *(Pending thread)

Written By: Jessica on 07/25/08 at 9:33 am

Speaking of dressing up for movies, has anyone heard the AWESOME news that MTV is going to remake....................The Rocky Horror Picture Show?  Oh yes, it is true.  They expect it to be ready for Halloween of 2009.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2008/07/24/2008-07-24_mtv_to_remake_the_rocky_horror_picture_s.html

There will NEVER be anyone who can work the drag in that movie like Tim Curry.  NEVER NEVER NEVER.  I hate you, MTV.

Written By: Tia on 07/25/08 at 9:54 am

wow. why not remake citizen kane? the wizard of oz?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/08 at 11:00 am

Say it ain't so. PLEASE say it ain't so!

Cat

Written By: saver on 07/25/08 at 2:53 pm

Was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory necessary?  FLOP-correct?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/08 at 12:57 am

Just add me to the list of freaks I guess, I once dressed up for Rocky Horror and I sat in a darkened theater.  The nerve of me!  And I had forgotten to pick up somebody at the theater.  damn.  I knew that guy wearing a corsette was pretty hot (and we could have shared lingerie.)
;)

Well, ok, I did go to a costume party that was held upstairs from the theater after the movie, so maybe I will redeem myself in saver's eyes.  Maybe not.  lol  doesn't matter.  :D

I saw Rocky Horror once when I was 14.  Then I tried to watch it again in college and I couldn't even sit through it to the end.  They were showing it on campus and the culture was so crass by then that whatever charm RHPS antics had in the '70s was long gone.  So the crowd was totally revolting.  I found the film itself entirely insipid. 

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/08 at 1:04 am

the wizard of oz?

There's been tons of remakes of that LOL
The one that most say is the worst of them was 'The Wiz' starring Diana Ross and Michael Jackson in 1978

The most recent was a 3 part TV mini-series in 2007 called 'Tin Man' which was reworked in a Sci-Fi plot :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tin_Man_%28TV_miniseries%29

Check for new replies or respond here...