inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HD DVD's - Cheaper than DVDs

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/08 at 12:22 am

HD DVD of course succumbed to Blu-Ray, but here's something you might not have realized ... some HD DVDs come in a HD DVD and DVD Combo format, which means one side of the disc is HD and the other side is regular DVD which means they will play in a regular DVD player

And because HD DVDs are no longer being made, many stores are selling off what they have left at a discounted price.  Tonight, I got 'The Invasion', 'Michael Clayton' and 'No Reservations' at Wal-Mart for $5 each and I can watch 'em on my regular DVD player.  How's that for a great deal? 8)

http://hdmag.cz/files/covers/invasion-the-hd-dvd.jpg

Subject: Re: HD DVD's - Cheaper than DVDs

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/08 at 12:33 am

Right on! I gotta go to wal-mart. 

I bought an HD DVD before they lost the war. I got it for $229 + 7 free DVDs. I got 300 and one of the bourne movies.  Sent in my mailer for the other 5 free dvds. 

Then HD lost the battle... Amazon sent me an email apologizing and gave me $50 to spend...no strings... I bought $50 of HD films.

Then my free movies came. The movies I requested were sold out and what they sent were duplicates of what I'd purchased or movies I wouldn't buy.  I took them to Borders and got $108 dollars on a gift card. 

So doing the math I got an HD DVD player 5 movies for about $70

Oh then my dad bought a lcd flat screen on the military base and they gave him a blue ray as a free gift.  He didn't want it so he gave that to me.

;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/23/08 at 8:10 pm

I don't like to pick sides in a format war until one side wins, so I don't own either a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player right now, but this does seem to be a very good deal.

I haven't seen any HD-DVD videos at the Wal-Mart around here though.

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/08 at 8:27 pm

Most Wal-Mart's vary by location.  I got a few more from the $5 bin ...

In the Valley of Elah
Music and Lyrics
License to Wed
We Are Marshall

Most of the rest they had were strictly HD DVD, so looks like I'll have to wait and go elsewhere in my quest for discounted HD DVDs.  When you think about it, to buy it for $5 bucks, is cheaper than renting a DVD from a store.  So if you don't like the movie, you can sell it to a used CD/DVD store or pawn shop

Check for new replies or respond here...