inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hats

Written By: Vicky on 07/25/08 at 5:25 pm

When did the trend of wearing baseball caps with the bill to the side start?  Hopefully wearing them the regular way be cool soon. 
My 9 year old son's soccer team is coached by three 16 year olds, and all 3 wear their hats sideways.  There are alot of teenagers that work with me where I work, and probably all the boys wear a sideways hat.  They are nice kids (even though unfortunantly alot of them smoke)  but I think this sideways hat thing is the stupidest trend of the decade.
When do you think this trend will end?

Subject: Re: Hats

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/25/08 at 6:19 pm

I'm thinking that this trend will end when people stop wearing baggy pants that drag on the ground, and stop saying "wit" when they mean "with"...

Written By: karen on 07/25/08 at 9:51 pm

Well it's been going on since at least 1988 to my knowledge!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/08 at 11:39 pm

I'm thinking that this trend will end when people stop wearing baggy pants that drag on the ground, and stop saying "wit" when they mean "with"...

haahaa....I totally hate that!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/08 at 12:50 am

Kids comnonly wore the basic baseball cap, as we know it, no later than 1960 (my guess). 

When I was a child in the '70s anybody ever the age of twenty wearing a baseball cap was probably a good ole boy.  The baseball cap became part of the hip-hop garb in the '80s, which made them chic again.  Then they never went away!

I don't look so hot in baseball caps, so I don't wear 'em!
;)

Written By: thewolrab on 07/26/08 at 3:24 pm

When I was growing up in the early '90s, the sideways hat thing was big, it's not just a thing of the '00s.

Written By: seamermar on 07/31/08 at 6:05 am

There's nothing it can do when kids say "here I'm".
I think trend comes and goes.
What was chic then, it's old fashioned now.
But  some things will always be the same :

A hot chick with a chic hat
can make you rather mad
as you past her eyeshade
your heartbeats can fade
No matters where the peaks was.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/08 at 6:07 am

Wearing the bill to the back stops the sun from tanning the neck.

Written By: Deborah on 07/31/08 at 10:09 pm

My son who just turned 17 ALWAYS wears his hat sideways.  I used to make him change it when he is with me, but I stopped.  I figured since he likes to spend time with the family I'll let him wear his hat any way he likes, even though I don't like it.  I just found out last week that he smokes, that bothers me, but other than that he's a nice polite kid so I have to respect the way he wears his hat  ::) , even though I personally hate it. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/08 at 1:23 am

Yeah, I once smoked a week, it wasn't a pretty sight!
:P

Written By: Midas on 08/01/08 at 12:57 pm

Yeah, I once smoked a week, it wasn't a pretty sight!

Probably doubly unpretty if you were wearing a hat!  :D

What's bad now is that they make baseball caps with the emblem off to the side so it can be on a person's head straight when they wear the bill turned to the side. :P

I wear hats.  The bill is either straight in the front or straight in the back.  I think it worn to the side looks silly.

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/92/21/22132192.jpg

Written By: seamermar on 08/03/08 at 9:50 am

Wearing the bill to the back stops the sun from tanning the neck.

Maybe that was the reason Joe cocker told her friend to leave her hat on.  ::)
and you just know what it happened to the rest.
I guess maybe they both  were in Ibiza for a little "confrontation".  8)

Written By: Josh on 11/12/08 at 9:06 pm

I'm 17 and I always wear my hat sideways, but I wear it backwards and to the side.  Alot of people keep the bill straight (not curved) I think the reason for that is because its not comfortable wearing it to the side when the bill is curved, but curved was cool a few years ago.  But thats not an issue for me since I wear it backwards and to the side.  I just like wearing it like that, I know poeple think its stupid (and it probably is) but I just think its cool.

-Josh

Written By: Davester on 11/12/08 at 9:35 pm

But thats not an issue for me since I wear it backwards and to the side.  I just like wearing it like that, I know poeple think its stupid (and it probably is) but I just think its cool.

-Josh

Just as long as you stop wearing it that way when you hit 20 years...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/08 at 11:37 pm

If you're going to wear a hat, wear a fedora, a bowler, a trilby, or maybe a porkpie...never mind who thinks you're a weirdo or a pimp...I'd rather be either one than just another idiot with a baseball cap!

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:04 pm

I don;t know too me wearing a cap sideway screams late 80's/early 90's too me for some reason. In my opinion a cap should be worn fowards or backwards but not to the side.

I did wear a cap in High School but only for like for a few months though back in 1995-1996 sophmore year of High School. It was a hat that had the Ford Motor Company emblem on it. It was geeky too wear the beak of the cap straight back then I think so I tried to crease it as much as I could.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/08 at 7:05 pm

Yeah I'm not much of a hat person, but I agree. The early-mid '90s thing was to wear them backwards (it looked kinda stupid even then, but it was more comfortable), and I'd say the sideways way started in the early '00s, not exactly sure when. At least the backwards style makes some sense for feeling better, and just being different at the time, but sideways just looks ridiculous.

Written By: tv on 11/13/08 at 7:07 pm

Kids wearing their pants to the ground was more mid 90's-early 00's. I do see kids wearing their pants down to the ground some over the past few years but not as much as say 10 years ago.

Written By: karen on 11/13/08 at 8:41 pm

Yeah I'm not much of a hat person, but I agree. The early-mid '90s thing was to wear them backwards (it looked kinda stupid even then, but it was more comfortable), and I'd say the sideways way started in the early '00s, not exactly sure when. At least the backwards style makes some sense for feeling better, and just being different at the time, but sideways just looks ridiculous.

Earlier in this thread I said that the sideways cap had been worn since 1988. 

I was just googling around trying to find pictures from around that time (1990 to be specific) of the new Girl Guide uniform that was designed by Jeff Banks.  It included a baseball type cap and I remember some of the catalogue pictures showed girls wearing the cap sideways and some backwards.  Alas I couldn't find anything so you'll just have to take my word.

Written By: danootaandme on 11/14/08 at 6:50 am

Just as long as you stop wearing it that way when you hit 20 years...

My thoughts exactly.  What looks ok, or at least expected in the teen years can look real stupid on people who for some reason want to still be one of the kids.

http://www.mariannemuellerleile.com/Photos/BabyJane-Passions-Dec2001-4.jpg

Written By: Midas on 11/14/08 at 9:55 am

If you're going to wear a hat, wear a fedora, a bowler, a trilby, or maybe a porkpie...never mind who thinks you're a weirdo or a pimp...I'd rather be either one than just another idiot with a baseball cap!

Yer just jealous 'cuz you say you don't look good in baseball caps. :D

I don't wear my baseball caps sideways as I think it looks goofy.  I do wear them backwards a lot.  Not those adjustable caps; I wear fitted caps so there's none of that gap/strap crap going on.  To say that look is "kinda stupid" is your opinion, and you know what they say about those...

Check for new replies or respond here...