inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Old toys making a come back

Written By: lps_queen on 07/25/08 at 10:49 pm

I am a big fan of toys so I walk the toy aisle alot. Over the past couple of years I've noticed alot of toys from the 80s making a comeback. I think its mainly Hasbro bringing old toys back. For example they rereleased the original GI joes, Transformers, Popples, Pound Puppies, even Madballs. Personally I think it's kinda cool, but I do wish they would change it up. It seems like the toys look exactly the same, and it kinda takes the fun and nestalga out of the older toys since you can now find them everywhere.

http://www.littlestpetshopstore.net
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z214/r_ebayin/banner.gif
Collect Littlest Pet Shop or Vintage My Little Pony? (check out this site)

Subject: Re: Old toys making a come back

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/08 at 10:54 pm

I can't say as I've seen Popples in stores, but I have seen the others.  To me, they don't look the same.  As a kid in the 80s, I had an Optimus Prime Transformer, and the ones today look nowhere near like the one I had.  But I still haven't decided if today's toys are better than the ones of then (ie: made better, cooler effects, etc ...)

He-Man also made a brief comeback

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/25/08 at 11:36 pm

yes...the reproduction of the older toys is a bunch of poppycock! They look nothing like the originals....I hate the updated 2000's version. They should have left well enough alone! >:(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/08 at 12:59 am

yes...the reproduction of the older toys is a bunch of poppycock! They look nothing like the originals....I hate the updated 2000's version. They should have left well enough alone! >:(

How hard can it be to replicate a Stretch Armstrong?  This isn't like advanced genetics research or something!
:D

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/08 at 1:06 am

How hard can it be to replicate a Stretch Armstrong?  This isn't like advanced genetics research or something!
:D

If it's made in China, I don't think I'd want a "Lead Armstrong" doll :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/08 at 11:08 am

If it's made in China, I don't think I'd want a "Lead Armstrong" doll :D

Touché.  Karma.

Cat

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/26/08 at 10:02 pm

I was a huge Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan back in the early '90s, and I thought it was a dumb idea at first when they brought them back several years ago, but now I actually think it was kinda cool.

The new cartoon show that came out around 2003 or '04 is admittedly more serious and true to the comics than the cheesy 1987 version that I watched as a kid (even though of course I still like the old show better), and I'm sure the action figures are probably alot cooler and can do alot more stuff than the fairly simple ones I had.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/26/08 at 11:26 pm

I'm not too crazy about the idea of bringing back old toys, because they're just not the same. I get more excited about spotting an original at a thrift store than seeing a new version at Toys R Us.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/26/08 at 11:36 pm

I'm not too crazy about the idea of bringing back old toys, because they're just not the same. I get more excited about spotting an original at a thrift store than seeing a new version at Toys R Us.

I hear ya! :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/27/08 at 1:15 am

BRING BACK LAWN DARTS!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/dangerous-toys-lead.jpg

Written By: saver on 07/27/08 at 1:30 pm

Sure they bring back STRATEGO, and OPERATION, but what about GNIP GNOP?

After awhile people realized it was 'PING PONG ' backwards!

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/08 at 8:16 pm

BRING BACK LAWN DARTS!

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/dangerous-toys-lead.jpg

LOL the Lawn Jart craze at inthe00s.  I'd nearly forgotten about that :D

Written By: Satish on 07/27/08 at 9:38 pm

This topic has been done before on these boards:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=12124

Here's some of what I wrote back then about the comeback of 80s toys in the past few years:

I think part of the reason for the comeback might be that now the kids from the 80s are all grown up, a lot of them are the ones working for toy companies and making the decisions about what new products should be sold.

Also, now that kids from the 80s are grown up, they're starting to have kids of their own, and when they go shopping for their kids, they're more likely to notice the toys and characters that they themselves grew up with. A 28 year old mom or dad today was an 8 year old boy or girl twenty years ago, and probably remembers playing with Transformers and Strawberry Shortcake then.

I've gotta say it kind of depresses me to think that people my age are having kids. It makes me realize I'm getting old.  :(

Oh well, guess it's inevitable. I'll just have to learn to deal with it...

Written By: Davester on 07/27/08 at 9:52 pm

This topic has been done before on these boards:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=12124

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  Unless there is important new information to be added or updated, start a new topic instead.

Topic cannot be merged since the older one is in the "80s" board...

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/08 at 11:11 pm

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
   Unless there is important new information to be added or updated, start a new topic instead.

Topic cannot be merged since the older one is in the "80s" board...

Apparently topics can only be merged within topics in the same section, but new topics on existing subjects in older threads are always good.  They start new discussion :)

Written By: Red Ant on 07/29/08 at 4:46 pm

Apparently topics can only be merged within topics in the same section, but new topics on existing subjects in older threads are always good.  They start new discussion :)

For you, Dave and other SBMs, that is true. If you need or want to merge two topics, one of which is outside your boards, let me know and we'll merge it for ya.

Ant

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/17/08 at 9:35 pm

Tranformers..More than meets The Eye!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/08 at 12:17 am

Lawn darts?
???

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/18/08 at 1:24 am

I'd like to see them bring back...

- Sea Monkeys
- The Super ball
- The Wham-O Air Blaster
- Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots (knock his block off!!!)

Oh yeah, and I'd like to be able to order a set of X-Ray Specs too.  8)

Written By: Shacks Train on 08/18/08 at 10:09 am

I don't know if any of you remember the TV show with Chris Elliot...Get A Life!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7pgeD__qU&eurl=http://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=chris+elliot+get+a+life&fr=fpca-ac&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

He had ordered the 2 man submarine from the back of a comic book & it finally arrived when he was an adult!
I liked that show & it had some funny bits......I loved the part where he moved out & came back to his old room .opened up the door only to see a brick wall....Theme song was REM - Stand

Gus was played by Brain Doyle Murray

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/08 at 7:54 pm

I'd like to see them bring back...

- Sea Monkeys
- The Super ball
- The Wham-O Air Blaster
- Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots (knock his block off!!!)

Oh yeah, and I'd like to be able to order a set of X-Ray Specs too.   8)

Sea Monkeys?  How 'bout intestine monkeys?
:P

I don't think the Superball went away, they all just rolled into dark corners where we couldn't find them!

Are you sure you can't get X-ray Specs?  Maybe you're looking in the back of the wrong comic books.  I remember the shoe mirror.  You strapped it to your shoe so you could look down and up girls' skirts.  Now, if you can hang out at the bus stop with a big mirror strapped to your shoe and NOT get the snot beaten out of you....

Written By: greenjello74 on 08/22/08 at 11:19 am

I just bough an original My Pet Monster for my oldest sons birthday from ebay. It was 20.00 But it was his favorite toy when he was a kid.
Does anyone remember this it came with plastic breakaway handcuffs.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/08 at 5:46 pm

Just some good ole toys, never meanin' no harm...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/freak6.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...