inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mary Kate Olsen seeks immunity concerning Heath Ledger's death

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/05/08 at 10:58 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_en_mo/heath_ledger

So...how many of you think that ol' Mary Kate had something to do with Heath obtaining those drugs? ???

Subject: Re: Mary Kate Olsen seeks immunity concerning Heath Ledger's death

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/08 at 11:01 am

I think she gave him those drugs.  She's asking for immunity, if she's innocent why is she so scared of testifying?  Besides wasn't she the last person he really had contact with?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/05/08 at 11:02 am

I think she gave him those drugs.  She's asking for immunity, if she's innocent why is she so scared of testifying?  Besides wasn't she the last person he really had contact with?

ya...I agree. I think it is kind of fishy that she was also the first person that was contacted too, when it was discovered that he was dead. Yes...if she had nothing to hide, she would be cooperating like everyone else has.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/08 at 11:06 am

She has a lot to lose if she does confess.  However if she lies on the witness stand to save her own ass she's looking at possible perjury charges.  Hence the wanting of immunity.

Written By: Jessica on 08/05/08 at 11:06 am

My first reaction was, "WTF?"

I don't know what to make of it.  The whole story surrounding his death is just so bizarre that I doubt anyone will ever know what really happened.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/05/08 at 3:14 pm

Very fishy.  Why should she be granted immunity?  I just don't get it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/08 at 4:18 pm

Because she's Mary-Kate Olsen and she can't go to jail.  Famous people don't go to prison.  Did you want me to work on my Boo-Hoo routine?

Written By: Bobby on 08/05/08 at 4:53 pm

Her request for immunity certainly seems suspicious - what is it with child stars?  ;D

Written By: star500 on 08/05/08 at 5:26 pm

Because she's Mary-Kate Olsen and she can't go to jail.  Famous people don't go to prison.  Did you want me to work on my Boo-Hoo routine?

That's right...famous people never go to prison...didn't anyone learn anything from the OJ Simpsons trial?

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/05/08 at 5:29 pm

That's right...famous people never go to prison...didn't anyone learn anything from the OJ Simpsons trial?

Of course there was Paris. :-\\  Anyway I think Mary-Kate gave him the stuff.  She seems too freaked out these days.  Not to mention looking strung out.

Written By: ninny on 08/05/08 at 5:38 pm

She only wants that because either she is involved or someone she DEALS with was involved

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/05/08 at 8:50 pm

No immunity, I say.

She has to pay the piper for whatever misdeeds she has commited.  I mean, for crying out loud, a child lost her father due to Heath's selfish drug habit.  And if Mary Kate facilitated it, then she's gotta be held accountable.

Written By: midnite on 08/05/08 at 9:07 pm

I didnt know Heath, but maybe he was a fiend for prescription drugs.  Possibly, Mary Kate thought she was helping him by scoring some drugs, when in fact it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/08 at 11:29 pm

'Course she should.  That little bimbo knows she doesn't even remember what she did that day!
::)

Written By: Gis on 08/06/08 at 3:46 am

No immunity, I say.

She has to pay the piper for whatever misdeeds she has commited.  I mean, for crying out loud, a child lost her father due to Heath's selfish drug habit.  And if Mary Kate facilitated it, then she's gotta be held accountable.
Excuse me 'selfish drug habit' ? This is a guy with manic depression struggling to cope with prescription drugs not some cocky celebrity twat shooting/snorting their talent away. My god if you had even the slightest inclination of, a.how addictive prescription drugs are and b.what manic depression is you would think before you made comments like that.
I'm not denying the drugs in his system would appear to be from illegal prescriptions but it is scarilly easy to become reliant on prescriptions just to function and that's without throwing depression into the mix.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/06/08 at 4:21 am

Wow, asking for immunity in such a high-profile case doesn't raise any red flags, now does it?  :o

Written By: gibbo on 08/06/08 at 5:19 am

Excuse me 'selfish drug habit' ? This is a guy with manic depression struggling to cope with prescription drugs not some cocky celebrity twat shooting/snorting their talent away. My god if you had even the slightest inclination of, a.how addictive prescription drugs are and b.what manic depression is you would think before you made comments like that.
I'm not denying the drugs in his system would appear to be from illegal prescriptions but it is scarilly easy to become reliant on prescriptions just to function and that's without throwing depression into the mix.

Very well said.......

Written By: Jessica on 08/06/08 at 10:36 am

I'd have to agree.  I've seen selfish drug and alcohol habits first hand, and what Heath did doesn't qualify.  It has already been stated before that he had a lot of emotional problems (which caused him and Michelle to break up), and couple that with not sleeping well and that freakin' damned Joker role (if you have seen "The Dark Knight" then you know what I'm talking about)....well, it's just a recipe for disaster all around.  Plus, it was already ruled an accidental overdose, which just furthers my point that this was not intentional and selfish drug use, but rather a desperate attempt to get some form of rest.  I will admit to doing the same thing he did when I have had bad nights where I can't sleep and my personal demons are attacking, but I was lucky enough that I didn't kill myself in the process because I also included alcohol in the mix.  I've since given it up, but I do sort of understand what he was trying to do and it just went very very wrong. :-\\

And if it was even HALFWAY caused by this little troll twin....well, I hope she feels stabbing guilt for the rest of her life because we all know she won't go down for any involvement with it. ::)

Written By: Jessica on 08/06/08 at 9:37 pm

Looks like it doesn't matter now.

Feds Close Probe Into Ledger's Death

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/08 at 10:18 pm

Excuse me 'selfish drug habit' ? This is a guy with manic depression struggling to cope with prescription drugs not some cocky celebrity twat shooting/snorting their talent away.

How's that again?
:D

Written By: Gis on 08/07/08 at 4:55 am

How's that again?
What? you make no sense...............

Written By: Marian on 08/07/08 at 1:43 pm

How's that again?
I think he's trying to say tht just because something is prescription,that doesn't mean you should abuse it or even that it should have been prescribed in the first place.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/07/08 at 7:00 pm

First of all there is no real difference between being hooked on prescription drugs and snorting or shooting.  Drug abuse is drug abuse.  Being bipolar makes a person more inclined to search for the ultimate high, be it legal or illegal.  To claim that he was selfish really has nothing to so with his drug abuse.  If the money he was using for drugs was supposed to put food on the table then I would have to agree.  However with his salary that wasn't the case.

Added note : The drugs found in his system are not prescribed as treatment for bipolar disorder.  Like I said, drug abuse is drug abuse no matter how you slice it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/08 at 10:53 pm

Don't know that I would call it selfish or not.  What I will say is that it was done with disregard for the impact it would have on his children/child.

You got a little kid depending on you, and you're out doing drugs at Mary Kate's place?  Sorry it is hard to cut someone slack on that count.

The sad part is that he's being beatified in the press.  All hail he who chose drugs over being in the life of his child.

Written By: jojo on 08/08/08 at 12:14 am

Where did it say he was manic depressive?

Written By: Gis on 08/08/08 at 9:21 am

First of all there is no real difference between being hooked on prescription drugs and snorting or shooting.  Drug abuse is drug abuse.  Being bipolar makes a person more inclined to search for the ultimate high, be it legal or illegal.  To claim that he was selfish really has nothing to so with his drug abuse.  If the money he was using for drugs was supposed to put food on the table then I would have to agree.  However with his salary that wasn't the case.

Added note : The drugs found in his system are not prescribed as treatment for bipolar disorder.  Like I said, drug abuse is drug abuse no matter how you slice it.
What I am saying is that if you are prescribed drugs for a specific illness and you become hooked on them because they are dangerously addictive it's not the same as a perfectly healthy person abusing their system with smack or coke. I know people this has happened too and believe me the last thing they ever expected to end up was a drug addict thanks to thier friendly neighbourhood GP! You can't just stop without the most horrendous side effects and I understand from reports he was trying to stop. How do we know that he wasn't so desperate when MK said have 'some of these they'll help' or 'I know someone who can get you something to help' he didn't take her arm off at the elbow for them?

I hadn't heard he was Bipolar.

Written By: Jessica on 08/08/08 at 10:19 am

Don't know that I would call it selfish or not.  What I will say is that it was done with disregard for the impact it would have on his children/child.

You got a little kid depending on you, and you're out doing drugs at Mary Kate's place?  Sorry it is hard to cut someone slack on that count.

The sad part is that he's being beatified in the press.  All hail he who chose drugs over being in the life of his child.

How is it disregarding his child when he's trying to get to sleep?

I found this on Wiki and verified it through other sources.  This says a lot about his sleep habits.

In a New York Times interview with Sarah Lyall published on November 4, 2007, Ledger stated that his recently-completed roles in I'm Not There (2007) and The Dark Knight (2008) had taken a toll on his ability to sleep: "Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night. ... I couldn't stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going." At that time, he told Lyall that he had taken two Ambien pills, after taking just one had not sufficed, and those left him in "a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing."

Prior to his return to New York from his last film assignment, in London, in January 2008, while he was apparently suffering from some kind of respiratory illness, he reportedly complained to his co-star Christopher Plummer that he was continuing to have difficulty sleeping and taking pills to help with that problem: "Confirming earlier reports that Ledger hadn't been feeling well on set, Plummer says, 'we all caught colds because we were shooting outside on horrible, damp nights. But Heath's went on and I don't think he dealt with it immediately with the antibiotics.... I think what he did have was the walking pneumonia.' On top of that, 'He was saying all the time, "dammit, I can't sleep"... and he was taking all these pills .' "

That's hardly the regimen of a hardcore, self absorbed, "to hell with my loved ones", drug addict.  That's the regimen of someone who is desperate to sleep and get better and obviously didn't know that his body was as run down as it was.

Furthermore, he wasn't at the Trollsen Twin's house, he was in his own apartment.  The person who found him (for some stupid assed reason) called Mary Kate, who sent her bodyguards, instead of, you know, doing the SMART thing and calling an ambulance and the police.

I will maintain (unless it is proven otherwise) that this was an accident, pure and simple.  Ledger was looking for a way to sleep after being exhausted and run down and obviously very ill, and he took too many pills.  Maybe he forgot how many he took.  Maybe he thought his body could handle it.  The point is, WE DON'T KNOW, it was ruled accidental, and now the investigation is over.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/08/08 at 6:30 pm

How is it disregarding his child when he's trying to get to sleep?

I didn't know that they prescribed oxycodone and hydrocodone as sleep aids.

One of the reasons why Michelle Williams kicked him out of the house was his prodigious drug use.  The guy didn't OD on Nytol.

Written By: Jessica on 08/09/08 at 9:53 am

One of the reasons why Michelle Williams kicked him out of the house was his prodigious drug use.  The guy didn't OD on Nytol.

They don't, but they can be used as such.  I used to eat those things like candy.  Eat enough and you fall asleep.  Three or four at a time would knock me out, but that was on top of alcohol, and I'm a hell of a lot bigger than Heath was, I'm sure.

He may not also have been using them as sleep aids.  The article I quote above did say he was ill and in a lot of pain, but hadn't been to the doctor.  Which brings us around AGAIN as to where he got them.  No doctor would prescribe those on top of what he was taking.  So maybe Mary Kate, being the helpful little troll she is, thought she was doing good by offering him some, which is why she wasn't (and isn't) talking.

By the way, I haven't found anything anywhere saying that they split up because of "prodigious drug use".  IMDb says they split because they were always apart, and nowhere else I've searched has given a reason.  Where did you find that information out?

Written By: Gis on 08/09/08 at 1:20 pm

By the way, I haven't found anything anywhere saying that they split up because of "prodigious drug use".  IMDb says they split because they were always apart, and nowhere else I've searched has given a reason.  Where did you find that information out?
I'm guessing somewhere like the Enquirer, that oracle of truth.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/09/08 at 5:51 pm

I'm guessing somewhere like the Enquirer, that oracle of truth.  ::)

Well I could mention that nobody believed The Enquirer about the recent John Edwards story for the past 8 months, but that would be getting off topic.  :-X

Do a web search and you will find any number of references to Michelle trying to get Ledger help for his drug problem, and he refused.  :-\\

My guess.. given the smorgasbord of dangerous drugs in his body... he probably went "dcotor shopping" to get all that stuff, don't take no genius to know that mixing all that crap is bad news.  Then add the hot shot of Hillbilly Heroin  (oxycodone) that was in his body and that was that.

But nevertheless, let's beatify Mr. Ledger and hold his behavior in regard like the other stars who have left their children parentless as a result of their drug consumption.  A tragic figure... it really was not his fault... he was really a victim... who can blame him... it was beyond his decisionmaking... it was a disease... blah blah blah...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/09/08 at 6:08 pm

What I am saying is that if you are prescribed drugs for a specific illness and you become hooked on them because they are dangerously addictive it's not the same as a perfectly healthy person abusing their system with smack or coke. I know people this has happened too and believe me the last thing they ever expected to end up was a drug addict thanks to thier friendly neighbourhood GP! You can't just stop without the most horrendous side effects and I understand from reports he was trying to stop. How do we know that he wasn't so desperate when MK said have 'some of these they'll help' or 'I know someone who can get you something to help' he didn't take her arm off at the elbow for them?

I hadn't heard he was Bipolar.

Pain medication is one of the most addictive medications.  In the U.S. a doctor can only prescribe morphine derivatives using very strict guidelines to prevent addiction. Street drugs are more devastating that prescription drugs, not to mention how those drugs are made is not in anyway medicinally sound.

Bipolar and manic depression are the same thing.  Bipolar is just a term more commonly used.

Written By: Jessica on 08/09/08 at 6:13 pm

But nevertheless, let's beatify Mr. Ledger and hold his behavior in regard like the other stars who have left their children parentless as a result of their drug consumption.  A tragic figure... it really was not his fault... he was really a victim... who can blame him... it was beyond his decisionmaking... it was a disease... blah blah blah...

Uhm, nobody is, except the press and the paparazzi whores.  I'm just trying to make a valid point about how NO ONE KNOWS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED.  We all have our opinions and theories about this guy that none of us knew personally, but we don't know what happened that day and we never will.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/09/08 at 9:39 pm

They only do inasmuch as chronic pain can disturb sleep. 

However, there are people out there who will try to get a scrip for Percocet for an ice cream headache!  Only your Dr. Benway types would prescribe opioids in lieu of Ambien. 

However...when you get rich and famous, the rules change.  Elvis had a tacklebox full of Quaaludes and Rush Limbaugh had a garbage can full of OxyContin!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tongue11.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/10/08 at 9:20 am

They only do inasmuch as chronic pain can disturb sleep. 

However, there are people out there who will try to get a scrip for Percocet for an ice cream headache!  Only your Dr. Benway types would prescribe opioids in lieu of Ambien. 

However...when you get rich and famous, the rules change.  Elvis had a tacklebox full of Quaaludes and Rush Limbaugh had a garbage can full of OxyContin!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tongue11.gif

Maybe Heath had an undiagnosed case of fibrobyalgia.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/10/08 at 3:49 pm

Maybe Heath had an undiagnosed case of fibrobyalgia.

I'd think an undiagnosed case of being of the female gender would also be included. :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/11/08 at 6:52 am

I'd think an undiagnosed case of being of the female gender would also be included. :-\\

About 1 in 8 sufferers of fibromyalgia are male...

Written By: Gis on 08/11/08 at 9:26 am

Pain medication is one of the most addictive medications.  In the U.S. a doctor can only prescribe morphine derivatives using very strict guidelines to prevent addiction. Street drugs are more devastating that prescription drugs, not to mention how those drugs are made is not in anyway medicinally sound.

Bipolar and manic depression are the same thing.  Bipolar is just a term more commonly used.
I stand corrected. As ever I am going on what would happen in the U.K where sadly things are not ruled by such guidelines and many innocent people go to thier doctor in pain and end up addicted. As could have been the case if Heath were in the U.K and prescribed medication for insomnia and or depression.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/11/08 at 11:12 pm

Yeah, but he said "fibrobyalgia," and I'm thinking what the hell is "fibrobyalgia"?  A lot of medical terms sound alike...

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 08/12/08 at 12:34 pm

:o  How come you only hear about cases in women?  Guess men don't make as big of an issue out of it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/08 at 9:52 pm

:o  How come you only hear about cases in women?  Guess men don't make as big of an issue out of it.

As long as they can still drink a beer and scratch their nads, they're happy.

Check for new replies or respond here...