inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question for people who've always been into retro stuff?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/08 at 6:43 am

Do/did you ever get crap as teenagers or even now for it? Like people who just don't get it and think you should've been more into your own generation.

When I was in high school I kinda rebelled the opposite way from most teens. Like I'd think scr*w you guys, I'm old school and proud of it! ;D Not even just '80s stuff from when I'd been a little kid either...but I like music as far back as the '50s and I've always had an interest in history and peoples' lives. Like when I'd hear stories of when my grandparents were younger.

I didn't like being pigeonholed and being told what I was supposed to like, think or feel. I guess I shared that aspect of teen rebellion, 'cause even if the idea was the other way around, it's the same concept of me being an individual and wanting to express myself. I'm pretty much the same way now.

Subject: Re: Question for people who've always been into retro stuff?

Written By: DejaWho on 08/12/08 at 7:12 am

Have I read this elsewhere?  ???  ???

Written By: audkal on 08/12/08 at 3:34 pm

People don't tend to give me crap about it--although I was out with a group of highschoolers a few weeks ago (I'm a few years older than all of them).  It was kind of sickening how all they talked about was their cellphones and iPods!  I don't have either one and I don't really care to, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/08 at 8:18 pm

Probably. ;D I'm better at wording things now though.

People don't tend to give me crap about it--although I was out with a group of highschoolers a few weeks ago (I'm a few years older than all of them).  It was kind of sickening how all they talked about was their cellphones and iPods!  I don't have either one and I don't really care to, lol.

LOL yeah I know what you mean. ;D Texting gets on my nerves sometimes just 'cause it's like this big clique thing people are either doing or talking about, lol. Sure, the '90s had pagers, but that wasn't nearly as pervasive or obnoxious.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/12/08 at 8:46 pm

I have noticed that too. I have only been out of high school for about 3 and a half years or so, but things seem to have changed a good bit since I was there. I have a cell phone, but don't really use it all that much, and I didn't get one until after I started college. When I was in high school and wanted to make a phone call, I had to go all the way outside and use a pay phone which was kind of a pain.

Yeah, I got some crap when I was a teenager for liking older music, but that's pretty much par for the course in high school. I have always liked music from the '50s all the way through current day and there were some occasions that I was criticized for it, but to be honest I couldn't have cared less. ;)

Written By: karen on 08/12/08 at 8:49 pm

I didn't get any crap for liking sixties music mainly because my crowd of friends also liked sixties music.  Those that didn't were into other 'unusual' or 'alternative' music (some of which I also liked) so they understood where I was coming from.  I just didn't hang around people who were into hip hop and whatever else was trendy.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/12/08 at 10:35 pm

My friends in high school liked to tease me about listening to music from the 70's and 80's. Sure, I also listened to plenty of songs that were popular in the day, but I didn't quite embrace the most trendy stuff like my friends did.

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/08 at 9:48 am

Would it make a difference if you had?

Written By: Midas on 08/13/08 at 10:53 pm

Would it make a difference if you had?

Nope.  This question has been asked several different ways by the same people on this board.

When I was a teenager I was into what was current, and even some of the throwback stuff.  The Monkees were big again in 1986.  I wasn't a huge fan but I like some of their songs.  Every decade seems to have some sort of throwback to 20 years ago or so.  I read somewhere that people are starting to roll and cinch their pants legs again...probably because they're too long from falling off their asses  :D

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 08/14/08 at 8:23 am

Do/did you ever get crap as teenagers or even now for it? Like people who just don't get it and think you should've been more into your own generation.

When I was in high school I kinda rebelled the opposite way from most teens. Like I'd think scr*w you guys, I'm old school and proud of it! ;D Not even just '80s stuff from when I'd been a little kid either...but I like music as far back as the '50s and I've always had an interest in history and peoples' lives. Like when I'd hear stories of when my grandparents were younger.

I didn't like being pigeonholed and being told what I was supposed to like, think or feel. I guess I shared that aspect of teen rebellion, 'cause even if the idea was the other way around, it's the same concept of me being an individual and wanting to express myself. I'm pretty much the same way now.

I never got crap for being old school in high school, but that's probably because I listened to current music at the same time (though I'm far more picky about the 00's...like anyone should be). Also, old school kids like me aren't hard to find anymore like they used to be - my entire group of friends are in one way or another, and one of them even listens to stuff like Muddy Waters and Bob Dylan more than anything else. Everyone is my school liked Queen, Led Zeppelin, and the Rolling Stones; even the preps and even a few wiggers (thought they were gone? Well...almost  ;D). So for me, being old school wasn't a big deal to anyone else, since they all had at least a little respect for what came beofre.

I take that back, some of closer friends actually hate grunge and 80's music, and they STILL heckle me for liking it. But its jokingly so I don't know if that counts.

Written By: Marian on 08/14/08 at 1:41 pm

I agree.

Written By: sonikuu on 08/15/08 at 4:14 am

Personally, I got some crap, but not much.  My high school was one of the smaller high schools in my area and the kids there were more tolerant than most.  They may not have liked retro stuff, but they didn't really care if you did.  Heck, I even knew some kids in the "cool crowd" who only listened to Classic Rock.  Heck, a study they did a few years back found that teens are more open to Classic Rock and older forms of music than they used to be.

I could even bring up some stuff from the 90s and instead of getting made fun of it, people would wax nostalgia about it.  Some preppy kids in my Sociology class loved to watch reruns of Legends of the Hidden Temple and Rocko's Modern Life whenever they were on.  Maybe its just my high school, but retro stuff wasn't really hated unless it was the 50s or something laughable like Disco.  Some of other kids may not have known about some of the retro stuff I knew about, but they didn't hate on it.  Of course, most kids weren't into retro stuff, but it wasn't something people openly made fun of.

The only time anyone ever made fun of me for liking retro stuff was when some kid I didn't know made a bad comment about my retro grunge look that I wore for a few months.  Out of all that time, I only got one bad remark.  Then again, I've been told that I actually look good in flannel, so maybe that had something to do with why I didn't get much badmouthing.

Also, I'm part of the class of 2007 and I'm already beginning to feel old.  I was talking 90s stuff with a few of my 16 year old cousins at a family gathering recently.  I was mentioning stuff that everyone in my grade back in high school knew about (old school cartoons, movies, etc.) and would get nostalgic over.  Instead of having a nice nostalgic discussion like I expected, they either didn't know what I was talking about or knew about it, but felt no nostalgic attachment to it.  I asked them what stuff from their childhood they liked.  I got: Spongebob (I was still a kid when that show started and I hated it and stopped watching Nick around that time), other kids stuff I didn't know much about, and Playstation 2 (the PS2 being their childhood game system was unthinkable to me, who grew up with Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64).  One mentioned Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon, which made me feel slightly younger since both of them was hugely popular when I was in late elementary school.  Still, I guess three years makes a pretty big difference.

Thankfully, my own 16 year old brother has absorbed some of my retro tendencies and loves retro stuff.  

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/15/08 at 4:31 am

Good posts so far. You know actually I got crap more from older adults than from my peers. That's a harsh word actually, I should say "acceptance, but not quite getting it either".

I'm guessing they thought I'd be a wigger or a post-grunge/alt rock fan because when they were growing up, they thought their parents' stuff was lame (like when my mom was 16 in 1970), so they probably just assumed the younger generations would feel the same way.

Now that I think about it, it seemed transitional when I was in high school in the late '90s. In thinking back to everyone I associated with (I didn't have that many close friends, but more like alot of acquaintances....although there were obviously some I was closer to), lots of them were into some older stuff. More often the guys (not being sexist, but that was what I noticed personally).

They might've not been as into it as me, but they still dug it. I can think of several kids who were classic rock fans, or I knew one guy who was a big punk rocker type, usually the older bands (he got me into lots of those bands, actually). Most of them liked selected '80s and early-mid '90s stuff from our past too. They still quoted Beavis and Butthead all the time, for instance.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/15/08 at 5:01 am

My friends in high school liked to tease me about listening to music from the 70's and 80's. Sure, I also listened to plenty of songs that were popular in the day, but I didn't quite embrace the most trendy stuff like my friends did.

Right on. :) Yeah that's almost totally how I was too. I always liked some current music too, but it was mixed with the older stuff.

a study they did a few years back found that teens are more open to Classic Rock and older forms of music than they used to be.

QFT. I wish more people could see this.

I graduated 8 years ago, so I don't know firsthand that much, but judging what I've seen on YouTube and elsewhere online, or whenever I'd talk with teens (i.e. when I worked retail, or was in plays with them), I've noticed that too. There seems to be more widespread acceptance of retro stuff among youth now, which I think is really cool. I'm not a big classic rock fan, but I like hearing about a 13 year old kid who's into Zeppelin, etc. It shows they can think for themselves, and it means something from the past is being preserved. I'm a very nostalgic person by nature with an appreciation for history, so I guess it just makes me happy to see that. :)

I'm part of the class of 2007 and I'm already beginning to feel old.  I was talking 90s stuff with a few of my 16 year old cousins at a family gathering recently.  I was mentioning stuff that everyone in my grade back in high school knew about (old school cartoons, movies, etc.) and would get nostalgic over.  Instead of having a nice nostalgic discussion like I expected, they either didn't know what I was talking about or knew about it, but felt no nostalgic attachment to it.  I asked them what stuff from their childhood they liked.  I got: Spongebob (I was still a kid when that show started and I hated it and stopped watching Nick around that time), other kids stuff I didn't know much about, and Playstation 2 (the PS2 being their childhood game system was unthinkable to me, who grew up with Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64).  One mentioned Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon, which made me feel slightly younger since both of them was hugely popular when I was in late elementary school.  Still, I guess three years makes a pretty big difference.

Thankfully, my own 16 year old brother has absorbed some of my retro tendencies and loves retro stuff.  

Yeah, I can relate to what you were saying about your cousins. A few years back I felt the same with certain people born around '84/85, like when I took college classes with them. I knew they're basically my generation and four years isn't a big deal...but, like you were saying, when someone has no idea about something you love and remembered really well, or brush it off with a "before my time" response, that has a way of making you feel like a freaking grandpa way sooner than you expected. The rap fans (not necesarilly just wiggers) were usually the worst offenders with this stuff. ;D

Written By: audkal on 08/15/08 at 3:26 pm

Also, I'm part of the class of 2007 and I'm already beginning to feel old.  I was talking 90s stuff with a few of my 16 year old cousins at a family gathering recently.  I was mentioning stuff that everyone in my grade back in high school knew about (old school cartoons, movies, etc.) and would get nostalgic over.  Instead of having a nice nostalgic discussion like I expected, they either didn't know what I was talking about or knew about it, but felt no nostalgic attachment to it.  I asked them what stuff from their childhood they liked.  I got: Spongebob (I was still a kid when that show started and I hated it and stopped watching Nick around that time), other kids stuff I didn't know much about, and Playstation 2 (the PS2 being their childhood game system was unthinkable to me, who grew up with Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64).  One mentioned Dragon Ball Z and Pokemon, which made me feel slightly younger since both of them was hugely popular when I was in late elementary school.  Still, I guess three years makes a pretty big difference.

Same, I was *raised* on Sega: Genesis, lol, and most HS kids I talk to have no idea what it is.  Even PS1 seems like a "new" system to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/16/08 at 2:55 am

Haha I'm REALLY gonna seem like an old dude on this one, but I never even played the Sega Genesis!

My Nintendo Power subscription ran out at the end of 1994, and since the original NES was almost totally dead (and even the Super Nintendo was fading a little), I pretty much stopped being interested in new games. This one kid I was sorta friends with had a Genesis and asked if I wanted to come over and try it out (although unfortunately I never did).

I was already getting out of touch then at only 13, and now with the modern systems I totally feel like a grandpa going "Sonny, we didn't have that in my day!" ;D

I think there's a real childhood attachment to video games (maybe because they're like advanced toys), like I was into them constantly from 6 to 12. Of course lots of teens and even adults play them too, but it doesn't seem to define their tastes as much.

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 08/16/08 at 9:47 am

Haha I'm REALLY gonna seem like an old dude on this one, but I never even played the Sega Genesis!

My Nintendo Power subscription ran out at the end of 1994, and since the original NES was almost totally dead (and even the Super Nintendo was fading a little), I pretty much stopped being interested in new games. This one kid I was sorta friends with had a Genesis and asked if I wanted to come over and try it out (although unfortunately I never did).

I was already getting out of touch then at only 13, and now with the modern systems I totally feel like a grandpa going "Sonny, we didn't have that in my day!" ;D

I think there's a real childhood attachment to video games (maybe because they're like advanced toys), like I was into them constantly from 6 to 12. Of course lots of teens and even adults play them too, but it doesn't seem to define their tastes as much.

Totally. I feel far more attached to 90's games like Banjo Kazooie and Ocarina of Time than anything I own now like Halo 3 or Mario Galaxy. Hell, I STILL play Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Conkers Bad Fur Day, and even the first two Mario Party's on occassion, in addition to a ton of other N64 games that I come across every so often. Even some of the lamer games, like Gex 3, are missed in my eyes. That certainly doesn't apply today nor has it since around '02. If I come across a game that I played as a preteen or teen (such as Tony Hawk Underground or SSX 3) I probably wouldn't try it out again, no matter how good the game actually is. I think I've been nostalgiac for elementary school since as early as 8th grade, but I've never been nostalgiac for anything after (7th - 9th grade was the worst for me, but I probably will get nostalgiac later for 10th - 12th). This leads me to another question: If your personal life is going well at the time, are you going to miss or feel more attached to your possessions (video games, toys, etc.) more than you would if you weren't necessarily having a good time?

Check for new replies or respond here...