inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fashion of the 00s

Written By: Ice on 08/26/08 at 11:47 am

Is there anything you think people will look back and laugh at, during this decade? Only two things pop up for me right now. Huge glasses and leggings with belts. I'm not saying those things are awful, but I have a feeling they will get bashed 10 years from now.

Subject: Re: Fashion of the 00s

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/08 at 11:58 am

It is those low hanging trousers (pants) showing the unnecessarily the underwear.

Written By: midnite on 08/26/08 at 6:48 pm

It is those low hanging trousers (pants) showing the unnecessarily the underwear.

Good one. That was a 90s trend that carried over to the 00s. 

How about the faux-hawk.  Not punk enough to be a real mohawk.  Very polished and corporate.  Blah.

Tatoos and piercings - my guess that down the road, maybe a few years away, people will make fun of the excessive tatoos such as the bullseye over the butt-crack.

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/08 at 7:52 pm

No current fashion trends will be laughed upon because in the future, they will look worse than we now do :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/08 at 3:38 am

That dark Goth look?

Written By: ladybug316 on 08/27/08 at 10:23 am

Is there anything you think people will look back and laugh at, during this decade? Only two things pop up for me right now. Huge glasses and leggings with belts. I'm not saying those things are awful, but I have a feeling they will get bashed 10 years from now.
Both of those looks are already throw-backs from other eras, which were laughed at once the fad had passed.

The fashion I think will be regrettable are those tent dresses they have resurected from the 60's.  While they are adorable, they aren't very flattering to anyone's figure.  Scads of women will look back and instantly start mooing!

Written By: NbC on 08/27/08 at 11:28 am

80's fashion is making a comeback right now. 

Skinny jeans, leggings/tights, bubble skirts, chunky jewelry, wide metallic belts over sweaters, vests.  I have even seen Jelly shoes. 

I wonder if Big Hair will come back.  ;)

Anyway, Uggs and intentionally showing underwear (thongs and bras).  The Lolita fashion that is popular in Japan is just strange. 

Written By: Haman on 08/27/08 at 3:09 pm

Definitely! I agree with you 100 %.

Written By: Ice on 08/27/08 at 4:39 pm

80's fashion is making a comeback right now. 

Skinny jeans, leggings/tights, bubble skirts, chunky jewelry, wide metallic belts over sweaters, vests.  I have even seen Jelly shoes. 

I wonder if Big Hair will come back.   ;)

I think big hair will come back, but not like the 80's. The kind of big hair that's well done and under control, not as out there and humongous. I'm already seeing this style in glamor magazines.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/08 at 3:40 pm

During the 90s, no one dress as Homer Simpson.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 12/05/08 at 8:22 pm

This decade's had more of a 70's feel to it for me, rather than 80's,  each to their own though of course.

Having said that there are some 80's trends coming back, reckon it might be the thing of the next decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/08 at 1:13 pm

This decade's had more of a 70's feel to it for me, rather than 80's,  each to their own though of course.

Having said that there are some 80's trends coming back, reckon it might be the thing of the next decade.
Like the 70's, I have not seen anyone wearing tank tops, flares nor platform shoes!

Written By: joeman on 12/06/08 at 1:32 pm

Those square sunglasses I keep seeing, and I guess the emo hipster look.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 2:08 pm

wearing hoodies has been a style for awhile now, but wearing the hood when you are indoors or when you are driving is rather goofy  ::)  and I see that all the time

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/08 at 3:13 pm

wearing hoodies has been a style for awhile now, but wearing the hood when you are indoors or when you are driving is rather goofy  ::)  and I see that all the time
On a rainy day I had to put the hood up on my jacket and found I could not see a thing.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:14 pm

On a rainy day I had to put the hood up on my jacket and found I could not see a thing.
here's a posible solution  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020oY6zpJ_nMAKGWjzbkF/SIG=138mklf0p/EXP=1228684440/**http%3A//steelturman.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/18/hoodies_eye_holes.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/08 at 3:15 pm

here's a posible solution  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020oY6zpJ_nMAKGWjzbkF/SIG=138mklf0p/EXP=1228684440/**http%3A//steelturman.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/18/hoodies_eye_holes.jpg
My jacket is not one of those.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 12/06/08 at 3:16 pm

My jacket is not one of those.
do you have a London Fog overcoat? 

Written By: Ice on 12/07/08 at 9:15 am

You notice guys with thick, shaggy hair has come back? It was in, in the 70's, early 80's, I think. After that, it looks like it faded, but it came back a few years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/08 at 9:16 am

You notice guys with thick, shaggy hair has come back? It was in, in the 70's, early 80's, I think. After that, it looks like it faded, but it came back a few years ago.
Skinheads was the in thing in the 70s.

Written By: SharpshooterTom on 12/08/08 at 1:54 pm

Like the 70's, I have not seen anyone wearing tank tops, flares nor platform shoes!

There have been some use of platform shoes, for about the past 4-5 years.

The current pop/music scene is absolutely NOTHING like the 80s either.  What a disgrace to compare it to that.

I reckon a real 80's revival is possibly close around the corner though.  Hopefully it be mainstream throug the 2010's, but I dont want 80s to be compared to this decade.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/08/08 at 2:10 pm

There have been some use of platform shoes, for about the past 4-5 years.
The platform boots as Noddy Holder is wearing here.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41791000/jpg/_41791284_slade_1974_416.jpg

Written By: Jenny1982 on 09/25/12 at 5:57 pm

Bling bling seems to have at least taken a back seat if it's still in fashion today

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/25/12 at 6:18 pm

Seersucker clothes, lol. I remember seeing a lot of them in my clothing catalogs from the mid 2000s. I wish I still had them so I could post them :/  Oh well.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/26/12 at 1:34 pm

Bling bling seems to have at least taken a back seat if it's still in fashion today

It's probably only still popular in the urban community. Most 'wiggers' actually seem to be late 80's early 90's born, not so much today's teenagers. I think hip hop in general has returned to its root community and isn't so much a widely appealing thing.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/28/12 at 9:26 am

2000's fashion is fashion of today. Take a look around at what people are wearing. 90% of it is considered 2000's fashion and would be accepted in the 2000's. I do see so e change starting to happen though.

Written By: Inertia on 09/28/12 at 3:00 pm

Tacky shoes seemed commonplace in the 00's.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSts_jmm3xz5-2am93w4QNo4n7Goq1_m5gjzF-OZQmK8_knTfu_FQ

Crocs

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_qoMvEYthkfnmZ2ztfjGwPRouIqE3yoGlWnzSFyG3jczX-lWdFw

Ugg Boots

---

;\ My mom owned a pair of crocs, much to my chagrin.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/28/12 at 10:11 pm

Bieber hair.  2008 was its peak, when nearly EVERY guy between ages of 13 and 25 had that haircut.  You still see a few guys with it but its not near as popular as it was just a few years ago.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/29/12 at 8:23 am

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSts_jmm3xz5-2am93w4QNo4n7Goq1_m5gjzF-OZQmK8_knTfu_FQ

Crocs

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_qoMvEYthkfnmZ2ztfjGwPRouIqE3yoGlWnzSFyG3jczX-lWdFw

Ugg Boots

---

I love the word chagrin!

Written By: Howard on 09/29/12 at 4:13 pm

Crocs

Ugg Boots

---

girls were wearing crocs.

Written By: Inertia on 09/29/12 at 5:53 pm

I love the word chagrin!

Vouch. It's a pro word.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 09/29/12 at 6:00 pm

I love the word chagrin!

Me too!  :D

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 1:54 am

Cyber-goth

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Cybergoths.jpg/240px-Cybergoths.jpg

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 1:58 am

More cybergoth:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_n7Vt1sT-3_4/S7ZRCyxhuRI/AAAAAAAAIi4/tmrFFn0DP3E/s1600/The_Cyber_Goth_40.jpg

http://funguerilla.com/images/strange-weird/cybergoth/cybergoth03.jpg

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 3:33 am

More cybergoth:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_n7Vt1sT-3_4/S7ZRCyxhuRI/AAAAAAAAIi4/tmrFFn0DP3E/s1600/The_Cyber_Goth_40.jpg

http://funguerilla.com/images/strange-weird/cybergoth/cybergoth03.jpg

This looks and subculture was 90's, not 00's.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 3:41 am

This looks and subculture was 90's, not 00's.

Hey genius, have you ever heard the term 'research'? Maybe you could try it some time. The term was coined in the late 80s, but it didn't become substantial until the late 90s and then became popular in the 2000s beyond the subculture,

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 3:45 am

Hey genius, have you ever heard the term 'research'? Maybe you could try it some time. The term was coined in the late 80s, but it didn't become substantial until the late 90s and then became popular in the 2000s beyond the subculture,

You are really uninformed and I feel I need to correct you,  I was there and clearly remember that these looks were not from the 00's.  The raver and goth subculture was very nineties, expecially the dread locks and braids.  Instead of doing research on it, and making some superfical assessment, take my word, because I was there. 

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 3:53 am

You are really uninformed and I feel I need to correct you,  I was there and clearly remember that these looks were not from the 00's.  The raver and goth subculture was very nineties, expecially the dread locks and braids.  Instead of doing research on it, and making some superfical assessment, take my word, because I was there.

With all due respect, I think you are the one that could do with some pop culture therapy. I definitley saw those looks around, at least as late as 2004. So how about instead of you recounting your subculture assessment and making substanceless assumptions, you consider when it was typical fashion, not just a subculture. Otherwise you could argue that Nirvana is a quintessential 80s group.

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 3:59 am

With all due respect, I think you are the one that could do with some pop culture therapy. I definitley saw those looks around, at least as late as 2004. So how about instead of you recounting your subculture assessment and making substanceless assumptions, you consider when it was typical fashion, not just a subculture. Otherwise you could argue that Nirvana is a quintessential 80s group.

You're reasoning is very flawed and unintelligent.  You don't know me personally (so don't make any jabs or stupid assements of what you think I need) because you are the last person who would.  Just because you saw it it 2004 doesn't make it a 2000's look.  I saw this look as early as 1994 and 1995 and commonplace by the mid to late 90's.  I saw club kids and ravers sporting this look around then.  So don't put your biased crap on me Ms. Jenny.  ::)

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 4:12 am

You're reasoning is very flawed and unintelligent.  You don't know me personally (so don't make any jabs or stupid assements of what you think I need) because you are the last person who would.  Just because you saw it it 2004 doesn't make it a 2000's look.  I saw this look as early as 1994 and 1995 and commonplace by the mid to late 90's.  I saw club kids and ravers sporting this look around then.  So don't put your biased crap on me Ms. Jenny.  ::)

Yeah and guess what I actually said that was when it was commonplace to (okay, I lean towards more late 90s, but still). Seriously, you basically said things well except for you. Meaning it's you who has very flawed an unintelligent reasoning. And just because you saw it in 1994 and 1995 means about as much as someone knowing Nirvana in 1987. Doesn't mean "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was popular in the 80s. So you are not only the one with the "biased crap" but your bathing in it LOL. And I never said I saw it only in 2004, I saw it heavily in 2000, 2001 and even 2002.

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 4:34 am

Yeah and guess what I actually said that was when it was commonplace to (okay, I lean towards more late 90s, but still). Seriously, you basically said things well except for you. Meaning it's you who has very flawed an unintelligent reasoning. And just because you saw it in 1994 and 1995 means about as much as someone knowing Nirvana in 1987. Doesn't mean "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was popular in the 80s. So you are not only the one with the "biased crap" but your bathing in it LOL. And I never said I saw it only in 2004, I saw it heavily in 2000, 2001 and even 2002.

How is me seeing this look in the 90's a substanceless assumption?  Had you ever been to any mall during the 90's and seen these clothes and variations of them at Hot Topic?  Just because posers like Avril Lavigne popularized the Mall Punk style it in 2002 which you saw "heavily" doesn't make it a 00's thing.  If anything your pseudo-cyber goth world of the early 00's is a substanceless assumption, because I don't remember this look being popularized at all.  If anything cybergoth was never mainstream and is a subculture of the 90's.  And if anything it would've been something held over from the late 90's.  And please don't used the Nirvana was around in the 80's so they must be an 80's band.  That is a separate and unrelated argument.   

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 4:49 am

How is me seeing this look in the 90's a substanceless assumption?  Had you ever been to any mall during the 90's and seen these clothes and variations of them at Hot Topic?  Just because posers like Avril Lavigne popularized the Mall Punk style it in 2002 which you saw "heavily" doesn't make it a 00's thing.  If anything your pseudo-cyber goth world of the early 00's is a substanceless assumption, because I don't remember this look being popularized at all.  If anything cybergoth was never mainstream and is a subculture of the 90's.  And if anything it would've been something held over from the late 90's.  And please don't used the Nirvana was around in the 80's so they must be an 80's band.  That is a separate and unrelated argument. 

Let me guess, are you a guy? If so, you would probably know less about fashion. The "pseudo" you speak of is more likely your pre-mainstream popularity of the 00s. If you don't know it being mainstream, perhaps you were one of the people who stayed home as a sad and single man in the 2000s and never dared to enter the places where the big, strong, masculine men were. I didn't assume anything. And what with the "please don't use the Nirvana was around in the 80s" because it's a "seperate and unrelated argument". But it's like cybergoth in the early-mid 90s. Traces of it, but not household knowledge.

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 5:40 am

I sense hostility in this thread.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 5:48 am

00s fashion was just like the less grungy forms of 90's fashion mostly anyways, at least up through 2005 or so. By 2006 emo came along and you started to see fashion like this, which I consider very un-90's:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4831607017572238&id=f08ed3065e7f30cf1cf59bc1c6be9c34

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 6:11 am

00s fashion was just like the less grungy forms of 90's fashion mostly anyways, at least up through 2005 or so. By 2006 emo came along and you started to see fashion like this, which I consider very un-90's:

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4831607017572238&id=f08ed3065e7f30cf1cf59bc1c6be9c34

I always thought emo and scene hair looked as if it took way too much time to style. Some people have a lot of patience.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 6:22 am

I always thought emo and scene hair looked as if it took way too much time to style. Some people have a lot of patience.

I hate to say it but I find it really pretty. I'd take emo girls over 80's or 90's girls any day. As long as they aren't too emo in their attitude.  ;)

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 6:29 am

I hate to say it but I find it really pretty. I'd take emo girls over 80's or 90's girls any day. As long as they aren't too emo in their attitude.  ;)

The hairstyle does look nice, but I wouldn't be willing to spend that much time styling my own hair. As a matter of fact, I grew my hair long again purposefully so I wouldn't have bother to straightening it everyday anymore.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 6:37 am

The hairstyle does look nice, but I wouldn't be willing to spend that much time styling my own hair. As a matter of fact, I grew my hair long again purposefully so I wouldn't have bother to straightening it everyday anymore.

Yes, I actually did the opposite recently, I got my hair cut a couple days ago, it was quite long but I was getting tired of having to wash it so often and it getting in my face. I also dislike how it looks when it's that long.

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 6:59 am

Yes, I actually did the opposite recently, I got my hair cut a couple days ago, it was quite long but I was getting tired of having to wash it so often and it getting in my face. I also dislike how it looks when it's that long.

Heh. Before university, I had very long hair so it's only natural for me to go back to it after graduation. My hair is much too thick and wavy to straighten constantly. Plus, using all the heat is terrible for your hair. I used my straightener every day for about three years before I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Haircuts are a simple way to change your look if you are bored with it. Do you like your new hairstyle?

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 6:59 am

Why did women's hairstyle have bangs?

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 7:01 am

yHaircuts are a simple way to change your look if you are bored with it. Do you like your new hairstyle?

Well Interia being almost 40 I'd rather have MORE hair.

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 7:08 am

Well Interia being almost 40 I'd rather have MORE hair.

I have a lot of hair. If I could donate some of it to you I would. It's so thick and difficult to manage.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 7:10 am

Heh. Before university, I had very long hair so it's only natural for me to go back to it after graduation. My hair is much too thick and wavy to straighten constantly. Plus, using all the heat is terrible for your hair. I used my straightener every day for about three years before I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Haircuts are a simple way to change your look if you are bored with it. Do you like your new hairstyle?

I do :) They did a good job and I like how it looks on me.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 7:54 am

I have a lot of hair. If I could donate some of it to you I would. It's so thick and difficult to manage.

please do, I'm thinning on top, see this is what happens when you have genetics in your family.

see my avatar.

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 8:32 am

please do, I'm thinning on top, see this is what happens when you have genetics in your family.

see my avatar.

That sucks. ;\

I have genetics for premature gray hair. Of course, you can't really tell yet, but I will likely be solid gray before I turn fifty.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/02/12 at 11:15 am

I was a teen in the early 2000s and saw that style in high school a lot. I was there. It was even everywhere in the first half of 03. People act as if the early 2000s never existed and the decade was all like High School Musical and Justin Bieber.

Written By: Howard on 10/02/12 at 1:59 pm

That sucks. ;\

I have genetics for premature gray hair. Of course, you can't really tell yet, but I will likely be solid gray before I turn fifty.

I think I'm getting gray on both sides of my head.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 2:13 pm

Well if you are basically the age this guy was in late 2004/2005:
http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2005/news/050530/twestman.jpg

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 2:59 pm

Let me guess, are you a guy? If so, you would probably know less about fashion. The "pseudo" you speak of is more likely your pre-mainstream popularity of the 00s. If you don't know it being mainstream, perhaps you were one of the people who stayed home as a sad and single man in the 2000s and never dared to enter the places where the big, strong, masculine men were. I didn't assume anything. And what with the "please don't use the Nirvana was around in the 80s" because it's a "seperate and unrelated argument". But it's like cybergoth in the early-mid 90s. Traces of it, but not household knowledge.

For all you know I could be a lady, and not like it's any of you business to begin with since that had nothing to do with what were talking about. Wasn't your former name was 90's the gold? I've argued with you on before.  You really need to get a life rather than pretending to be some girl born in the early 80's, which you clearly are not.  Let me guess you are a lonely guy who has nothing better to do.  ;D

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 4:06 pm

For all you know I could be a lady, and not like it's any of you business to begin with since that had nothing to do with what were talking about. Wasn't your former name was 90's the gold? I've argued with you on before.  You really need to get a life rather than pretending to be some girl born in the early 80's, which you clearly are not.  Let me guess you are a lonely guy who has nothing better to do.  ;D

LOL, you somehow "know" that I am "not" a lady born in the early 80s but for all I know you could be a lady? Talk about ironic contraditions. Your 90s gold name thing doesn't make sense to me, and I'm not lonely or a guy. And I've got nothing better to do? LOL, is your mirror broken?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/02/12 at 4:49 pm

That sucks. ;\

Actually as disturbing as it is, I read it's average for women to start going grey at 23!  :o Men on average tend to start in their mid late 20s, of course at first it's only a few hairs. I do think once men start greying though, it probably accelerates more quickly. There are a lot of men in their 30s or even younger that have full grey hair but most women aren't totally grey until their 60s. Though women in general would be more likely to dye their hair so maybe it's not an accurate representation of nature? I think my 49 year old mother would be fairly grey if she didn't dye her hair.

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 5:01 pm

LOL, you somehow "know" that I am "not" a lady born in the early 80s but for all I know you could be a lady? Talk about ironic contraditions. Your 90s gold name thing doesn't make sense to me, and I'm not lonely or a guy. And I've got nothing better to do? LOL, is your mirror broken?

Well I definitely know that,

1.  You're an idiot.

and

2.  You're extremely annoying. 

You definitely cannot argue any points I made successfully, since you "saw it" cyber goth fashion 2000 - 2004, and then just make some ridiculous claim that it was largely part of the 00's fashion landscape since I remember this clearly being more 90's. And rather than go around in mindless circles with you, which is your definition of an "ironic contradiction" (great choice of wording btw  ;))  you have to be insulting, not only to me, but your choice of words would be offensive to other people.  You honestly have NO clue, otherwise you wouldn't be posting pictures of cybergoths in a 2000's fashion thread.  That is just completely stupid.  Then make some ridiculous claim about how it became mainstream somehow in the 00's.  And I worked in a mall throughout the late 90's and early 00's had exposure to pop culture and fashion as that's what business I was in at the time.  I remember seeing that look at Hot Topic and other store like that way before the millenium came.  I just think your arguments are unfounded, biased, and extremely ignorant.  So hang out with your "big strong men"  because I'm sure those types of people, or any other type of person would really want nothing to do with you. 

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 5:13 pm

Well I definitely know that,

1.  You're an idiot.

and

2.  You're extremely annoying. 

You definitely cannot argue any points I made successfully, since you "saw it" cyber goth fashion 2000 - 2004, and then just make some ridiculous claim that it was largely part of the 00's fashion landscape since I remember this clearly being more 90's. And rather than go around in mindless circles with you, which is your definition of an "ironic contradiction" (great choice of wording btw  ;))  you have to be insulting, not only to me, but your choice of words would be offensive to other people.  You honestly have NO clue, otherwise you wouldn't be posting pictures of cybergoths in a 2000's fashion thread.  That is just completely stupid.  Then make some ridiculous claim about how it became mainstream somehow in the 00's.  And I worked in a mall throughout the late 90's and early 00's had exposure to pop culture and fashion as that's what business I was in at the time.  I remember seeing that look at Hot Topic and other store like that way before the millenium came.  I just think your arguments are unfounded, biased, and extremely ignorant.  So hang out with your "big strong men"  because I'm sure those types of people, or any other type of person would really want nothing to do with you.

Research also backs up my claim and  another member (maybe Unconvential99, can't remember) even said it was everywhere during 2003ish. And ironic contradiction is that you assume you must "know" me and yet you act like I can't "know" you. And it was mainstream in the 00s, that's how I know about it, clearly. My "arguments" are based on research too, not just personal experience and it is 'ironic contradiction' that you call my posts extremely ignorant, when I might think the same about yours, and possibly to an even greater extent than vice-versa. 

If being corrected upsets you, why not get away from your computer and take some deep breaths?

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 5:25 pm

Research also backs up my claim and  another member (maybe Unconvential99, can't remember) even said it was everywhere during 2003ish. And ironic contradiction is that you assume you must "know" me and yet you act like I can't "know" you. And it was mainstream in the 00s, that's how I know about it, clearly. My "arguments" are based on research too, not just personal experience and it is 'ironic contradiction' that you call my posts extremely ignorant, when I might think the same about yours, and possibly to an even greater extent than vice-versa. 

If being corrected upsets you, why not get away from your computer and take some deep breaths?

I never said anything you said above.  I never said I knew you and honestly, if I could bar you from my mental landscape I would.  You are honestly not a type of person I would like to know.  What research are you basing this on?  Because I would like to know.    IMO, experience is always better than knowledge almost all cases.  And please clarify yourself instead of making these personal jabs at me, I'm frankly tired of your vague outbursts.

Written By: Jenny1982 on 10/02/12 at 6:03 pm

I never said anything you said above.  I never said I knew you and honestly, if I could bar you from my mental landscape I would.  You are honestly not a type of person I would like to know.  What research are you basing this on?  Because I would like to know.    IMO, experience is always better than knowledge almost all cases.  And please clarify yourself instead of making these personal jabs at me, I'm frankly tired of your vague outbursts.

And guess what, when it comes to research and personal experience, I have better than either, I have BOTH! And how am I the one making personal jabs when you are the one calling me an "idiot" LOL. Again, why not take a break and take some deep breaths?

Written By: elr on 10/02/12 at 6:53 pm

Well I just read Unconventional99 post, and I don't disagree with what she experienced, however from my POV, my point was it was never a mainstream look during the 00's.  I still would never associate the cybergoth look with the 00's.  You had stores selling that stuff in malls and the look was prominent enough in the 90s for me to classify it as that time period.  But if you disagree that's fine, let's just agree that we have different opinions.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 10/02/12 at 7:49 pm

I sense hostility in this thread.

I second that.

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 8:41 pm

Actually as disturbing as it is, I read it's average for women to start going grey at 23!  :o Men on average tend to start in their mid late 20s, of course at first it's only a few hairs. I do think once men start greying though, it probably accelerates more quickly. There are a lot of men in their 30s or even younger that have full grey hair but most women aren't totally grey until their 60s. Though women in general would be more likely to dye their hair so maybe it's not an accurate representation of nature? I think my 49 year old mother would be fairly grey if she didn't dye her hair.

I have been going gray since I was at least fifteen, probably sooner. My mother who is fifty would be completely gray if she didn't dye her hair. However, I still have many more years to go before it becomes noticeable to the average person.

Written By: Inertia on 10/02/12 at 8:47 pm

I have quite a few gray hairs and I am only twenty-three.

It could be worse though so I have no complaints. My mother, grandmother, and uncle all share the same fate. Besides, I think gray hair can look quite mysterious when you have a young face. It leaves people guessing!

Written By: warped on 10/02/12 at 8:59 pm

I have only a few gray hairs as I approach the age of 50, and you really can't see them unless you stand a foot away from me. My wife doesn't have any gray either. I have never dyed my hair, but I suspect in a few years I shall require reading glasses. 
Many of my high school mates do have lots of gray. One day I know it will hit me.  ;D  (Or I won't have enough hairs on my head before that happens )

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 6:50 am

I have been going gray since I was at least fifteen, probably sooner. My mother who is fifty would be completely gray if she didn't dye her hair. However, I still have many more years to go before it becomes noticeable to the average person.

have you tried hair dye?

Written By: Howard on 10/03/12 at 6:51 am

I have quite a few gray hairs and I am only twenty-three.

It could be worse though so I have no complaints. My mother, grandmother, and uncle all share the same fate. Besides, I think gray hair can look quite mysterious when you have a young face. It leaves people guessing!

Do you have genetics run in your family? ???

Written By: Inertia on 10/03/12 at 8:11 am

Do you have genetics run in your family? ???

Yes, the genetics for premature gray hair run in my family, as I said in another post, I have been finding sporadic gray hairs since I was at least fifteen, but I believe I have found some as far back as middle school.

have you tried hair dye?

No, I don't need hair dye yet, but even when it does become noticeable I doubt I will bother. Who knows, I might change my mind in the future and eventually dye my hair.

Written By: Starde on 10/04/12 at 5:26 pm

I was a teen in the early 2000s and saw that style in high school a lot. I was there. It was even everywhere in the first half of 03. People act as if the early 2000s never existed and the decade was all like High School Musical and Justin Bieber.

Annoying, ain't it?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/04/12 at 7:43 pm

Annoying, ain't it?

Yes. It's also annoying that people forget rock even existed in the early 00s. It's like nobody remembers.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/28/12 at 3:01 am

One thing I notice is that girls still exposed their belly button back then, I don't see that as much anymore. Maybe there was a bit of a return to conservative dress?

Written By: Howard on 10/28/12 at 3:19 pm

One thing I notice is that girls still exposed their belly button back then, I don't see that as much anymore. Maybe there was a bit of a return to conservative dress?

No just a bit overexposure.

Written By: Shiv on 10/29/12 at 5:26 pm

Yeah, the half-naked look was big in the mid 00s.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 6:18 pm

Yeah, the half-naked look was big in the mid 00s.

It doesn't seem as big now, I associate it with 1995-2005. It also seems somewhat valley girlish, i think the scene girl look has largely replaced it. Scene girls tend to try to look 'sexy' but more by their clothes than by their lack of clothes.

Written By: Ralph_E_Fresh on 07/08/13 at 5:55 pm

Early 2000s(til 2001) was the same as Late 90s, I was in the old navy craze still, wore different stuff, overalls, plaid, loose jeans, denim shirt/jeans, Hawaiian shirt, fubu etc

2002 started the more ghetto/don't care what I wear line, Sean Jean and cheap stuff.

2005 in middle school started the long tshirt baggy pants/shorts era which lasted until High School(2008)

Late 2000s started the pants below waist, tight clothes tread.

Early 2010s started the wear whatever you want, which I love because the flattops(which I loved as a kid in late 90s/early 2000s but knew were outdated then), Old Navy, plaid, denim shirt, etc, which is the style I reverted to, also thought having hair like Justin Timberlake in his NSYNC days was  cool, so I bleached my fro blonde and relaxed it curly(when it grows more I get a perm)

http://www.heyreverb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/4/files/2012/08/MTV1.jpg

Had I put my hair like this anytime after 2002, I would be considered a joke, however it's back in style so I decided to get it, and hey(thanks to Jesus Christ) women love it.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/13 at 7:21 pm

and of this day I still see it.

Written By: Starde on 07/09/13 at 5:34 pm

Early 2000s(til 2001) was the same as Late 90s, I was in the old navy craze still, wore different stuff, overalls, plaid, loose jeans, denim shirt/jeans, Hawaiian shirt, fubu etc

2002 started the more ghetto/don't care what I wear line, Sean Jean and cheap stuff.

2005 in middle school started the long tshirt baggy pants/shorts era which lasted until High School(2008)

Early 2010s started the wear whatever you want, which I love because the flattops(which I loved as a kid in late 90s/early 2000s but knew were outdated then), Old Navy, plaid, denim shirt, etc, which is the style I reverted to, also thought having hair like Justin Timberlake in his NSYNC days was  cool, so I bleached my fro blonde and relaxed it curly(when it grows more I get a perm)

Had I put my hair like this anytime after 2002, I would be considered a joke, however it's back in style so I decided to get it, and hey(thanks to Jesus Christ) women love it.

It is? ???

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 07/11/13 at 4:59 am

Guy Fieri and the guys from Jersey Shore have hair like that. I wouldn't call it a comeback...

Check for new replies or respond here...