inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Differences with how things appeal to you over the years?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/08 at 2:27 pm

More often than not, when kids (like actual childhood kids) like something it's usually more because they enjoy it for what it is. Like if they think a cartoon is funny or a videogame is interesting. Whereas teenagers seem to be more image influenced, like if a song speaks to them and how they might be feeling, or if their friends like it.

For adults it seems to be a little of both.

This transition is interesting to me. I loved lots of music as a kid (especially '80s and early '90s pop, with selected oldies), but usually I had no idea what they were talking about lol. I just liked the songs because of how they sounded. Lots of them are catchy as hell. ;)

I didn't start to really identify with the meanings of songs on a personal level until I was about 14. Like I might've sorta understand how people felt in a love song. There were songs I already liked that I started to see on a new level (like Prince's "Little Red Corvette", I was a little shocked when I discovered what it was really about). ;D Seriously though, it helped me through my teenage years to hear about other people who felt or experienced something similar to what I might've been going through.

Nowadays I don't like that much new music, but when I do it's usually just based on if it's catchy. Like Katy Perry for instance.

Subject: Re: Differences with how things appeal to you over the years?

Written By: midnite on 09/03/08 at 7:16 pm

I think our preferences for many things change over time.  You use music in your example.  I agree with this, but our preferences for many things change such as hobbies, food, music, movies, friends, etc.

I think many things drive the changes.  Becoming older and maturing definitely is part of this.  Maybe because we become smarter or more mature.  Maybe because we are "tired" of something so we try new things.

My hobbies now are much different than they were in my early 20's.  Lets just say I do not party as much anymore.  LOL.  I also like different foods and varieties of music and movies.  My friends are also different.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/04/08 at 4:16 pm

Maybe because we are "tired" of something so we try new things.

Yeah I agree with that basically. Lots of things have stayed the same with me, but I guess the REASONS things appeal to you can become different with your mindset at the time or your place in life.

To use music again, the newer stuff I like (or older stuff I'm hearing for the first time) tends to be the more retro or '80s/early '90s influenced. Nowadays that appeals to me because it reminds me of my childhood and the type of stuff I liked then.

As far as food - I've heard your taste buds literally do change and develop over the years. I remember trying coffee a couple times as a young kid and I thought it was gross!  ;D I stayed away from it until the first time someone at a Denny's asked me if I wanted it (when I was 15) and I thought Ah what the heck, it's been awhile. Why not?. Since then I've really liked it and I can't imagine not having Starbucks or at least 7-11 coffee lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/05/08 at 7:04 pm

I didn't really care much about music when I was a kid. Other than what my parent's listened to on the radio, or songs that I was exposed to through a friend, I didn't get into any of my own music until I was around 10 or 11 years old. Now I like a little bit of everything when it comes to music.

The main thing that has changed for me over the years is what I watch on tv and how often I watch it. When I was a kid, I rarely watched tv and when I did it was either something like Nickelodeon during the week or Saturday morning cartoons on Saturday's. When I got to middle school, I watched MTV, VH1, etc. most of the time and now I typically just watch the news, sports, and other things that I found boring when I was younger.

As far as food - I've heard your taste buds literally do change and develop over the years. I remember trying coffee a couple times as a young kid and I thought it was gross!  ;D I stayed away from it until the first time someone at a Denny's asked me if I wanted it (when I was 15) and I thought Ah what the heck, it's been awhile. Why not?. Since then I've really liked it and I can't imagine not having Starbucks or at least 7-11 coffee lol.

I think that a pretty common thing. There are lots of different foods and even drinks that I couldn't stand when I was younger that I like now, especially coffee. The first time my dad let me have some of his coffee when I was around 7 years old I hated it so much i literally had to go spit it out. ;D

Now I usually have to have some every morning.

Written By: Cool Guy on 09/06/08 at 9:52 am

More often than not, when kids (like actual childhood kids) like something it's usually more because they enjoy it for what it is. Like if they think a cartoon is funny or a videogame is interesting. Whereas teenagers seem to be more image influenced, like if a song speaks to them and how they might be feeling, or if their friends like it.

wtf? lol, you must be kidding, right?

This is a naked photo of me, if you're a female:

http://img2.sportal.bg/new/uploads/tinymce/90/d/92/93/94/95/96/97/98/99/100/101/102/103/104/105/106/107/108/109/110/111/112/113/115/117/ts/1/pib/vivatel/pibb/slava/ts/119/120/121/1/3/122/123/MSAT_3.jpg

Written By: tv on 09/07/08 at 8:18 pm

I still follow sports like the NBA, NASCAR, and the NFL but I don;t follow the NHL or the NHRA anymore. I lost interest in the NHL after the 1995 stike shortened season. I l followed music from late 1994-early 2007 than than that "ringtone rap" that was most popular on the music in 2007-early 2008 made me lose interest in music(for now anyway.) The "Chris Brown", Rihanna, Akon, T-Pain, and Pussycatt Dolls stuff of the mid to late 00's don;t appeal to me either that much. The teen-pop era of 1999-2000 wasn't that great either. I used to be into watching network TV in the 80's and 90's but not anymore so much.

I used to collect baseball card in the mid 90's but don;t do that anymore. I used to watch baseball when I was younger alot but the game just moves slow to me now.

I used to like women that looked like a super model whem I was in my teens-mid 20's now in my late 20's my standards to be attracted to a woman looks wise is definately lower than in my teens-mid 20's.

Check for new replies or respond here...